PDA

View Full Version : Crowsnest To The Coast

Buzzard
07-29-2004, 05:53 AM
Im heading out to the Island Saturday for holidays and was considering driving highway 3 for something different, rather than the same old TRans Can. I know its a lot longer, but was wondering by how much. Anyone know?

Dirty Mr. Clean
07-29-2004, 06:37 AM
It's not that much longer in distance. It's a bigger difference in time. The drive is mostly just two lanes so passing is a bigger issue and the road is much more curvey. The drive is more a better look at the awesomness of nature it's worth the extra time to do it once I think. To be honest it's been to long since I have done it to remember how much of a difference of time it is. I think it might be 16-18 hour drive instead of 13-14 hour drive of Highway 1.

Shawnski
07-29-2004, 10:26 AM
Definitely go the southern route, some very nice scenery. Driving time alone, expect about 14 hours going the southern route (time to Vancouver), pending highway construction. I have taken that route hundreds of times as I used to live in the West Kootenays.

Lots of places to stop and soak up the sun, swim, etc.

Enjoy!

octothorp
07-29-2004, 10:49 AM
I love taking the crowsnest, but it almost makes the drive longer than what you can do in one day. As others have said, passing becomes difficult, and you can get stuck behind a motorhome for hours. That said, the scenery is amazing, and if you aren't in a rush, (or especially if you're looking to take two days to do the drive), the #3 is definitely the way to go.

The Goon
07-29-2004, 10:57 AM
I did that drive three years ago over two days, stopping in Nelson for the night (and chillin' in the amazing Ainsworth Hot Springs). It is a much nicer drive, if you're not in a rush.

BlackArcher101
07-29-2004, 11:07 AM
I agree with everyone else. Take Hwy 3 if you can afford the extra time. It's not that much longer than the Hwy 1, I'd say 5 hours? The scenery makes up for it though. And more so.

Before you go that route, check for construction delays. Any construction on Hwy 3 through the pass is horrible. Could back you up for hours and hours and hours. With a line of cars extending 10 km waiting to pass through.

Seems that every year, somewhere on Hw 3 they are ripping up the road and repaving for 20 km.

Buzzard
07-29-2004, 07:28 PM
Right on guys, thanks for making my choice! Wife and daughter are already out there, so I can take as much time gettin there as I want. Checked road report and theres construction delays east of Hope......except long weekends, WAHOO. I love the TC and the Coq, but I know the scenery pretty well and thought time for a change.