PDA

View Full Version : Drunk Skunk's Camp Roundup

Drunk Skunk
09-30-2008, 11:09 AM
Well, the Farm Flames opened camp today. To my surprise, there was a group of about 20 fans there, I figured maybe half that. The ice at the iMark looked a lot better this year compared to the same time last year. The same coaching staff returned, as well mostly the same support staff. My quick thoughts on the first day -

Hugo Carpentier really impressed me. The kid has a laser shot and has good size to him. He wore number 3.

Both Dan Spang and Ryan Wilson look like very good pickups. Spang seems to be able to handle the puck very well, and Wilson has very good mobility. During one on one drills, Spang buried a shot on the near side top corner that got past Irving, fantastic shot with a guy draped all over him.

Leland Irving has a badass mask. It has grizzly bears(which I assume is a nod to his junior team) in a forest fire. Sweet.

Jon Tremblay has improved his skating by leaps and bounds, and he can actually handle the puck now. He also dropped, I'd say, a good 30 pounds from his time with the Mallards.

Dan Ryder looked very good today as well.

Unfortunately, I have to cut my review short right now, as I have to get ready for work. I'll add to it late tonight, as well as post my pictures. I managed to get a few good ones.

dobbles
09-30-2008, 11:17 AM
i was also surprised to see so many people. but that was my first time at a training camp, so i really had no idea.

i personally just relaxed and soaked everything in on the first day. the only players i knew were the ones i could pick out their face like peters, chucko, palin, etc... did you guys have a roster sheet? as i was down in the office pickin up a couple tickets for thursdays game, i noticed a lady making copies of something but wasn't sure if thats what it was.

Drunk Skunk
09-30-2008, 11:37 AM
Yes, someone went and had them run off rosters. I'll post the roster when I get home from work, about 11pm CST

Torture
09-30-2008, 12:18 PM
Leland Irving has a badass mask. It has grizzly bears(which I assume is a nod to his junior team) in a forest fire. Sweet.
Haha, awesome. I gotta see a picture of this mask, that sounds epic.:D

SparkyOne
10-01-2008, 08:59 AM
Glad I was able to get there yesterday....I like what I saw!

Spang was impressive....that shot DS described was a beauty! Carpentier's a big kid and was definitely trying to impress.

And there were a couple of invitees whose names we were looking up more than once (though I don't have my roster with me and can't remember who they were!)...including one of the goaltenders. A big kid who moved pretty well.

Palin looks to have lost some weight, and Tremblay has definitely slimmed down! Also, his skating has improved....I actually had to look for him on the ice, instead of his standing out like a sore thumb!

Good to see the familiar faces back as well. Now I'm looking forward to seeing them in game action tomorrow night!

SparkyOne
10-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Haha, awesome. I gotta see a picture of this mask, that sounds epic.:D

Check it out in the pics that DS posted. It's very awesome....

MrMastodonFarm
10-01-2008, 11:20 AM
Great stuff DS, thanks.

Hopefully Ryder starts to find his legs. I know he struggled in main camp, but he can be a huge offensive threat for QC this season.

PIMking
10-01-2008, 11:41 AM
Great stuff DS, thanks.

Hopefully Ryder starts to find his legs. I know he struggled in main camp, but he can be a huge offensive threat for QC this season.

Ryder made a sweet move on Peters when Peters tried to open ice hit him in 1 on 1's

I think he will be fine he just has to find his legs.

Drunk Skunk
10-02-2008, 12:34 AM
Day two was a little more fast paced then day one was. I'd say there was 10-15 people there again today, pretty good turnout for the second day of camp. I left today's session early, stupid work interfering with hockey.

I thought both Leland Irving and Scott Reid looked sharp. Reid is a monster, I'd say the 6'3" he's listed at is conservative. He moves well for a big kid, wouldn't be a bad option for a call up if Lalande is out for awhile.

That brings me to the next point - I don't know if it's common knowledge or not, but Lalande is out with a high ankle sprain.

Hugo Carpentier looked pretty good again today, I can see him being an important part of the Farm Flames' season. He was on a line with Jon Tremblay and JD Watt.

Adam Cracknell was absolutely on fire today, no pun intended. He looked good yesterday, but today he looked like a first-liner.

I managed to get a couple pretty good pictures of Irving's mask today, check out the link in the photo thread. I'll be taking in tomorrow's session, then going to the pre-season game tomorrow night. I doubt I'll be taking pictures, but I may run video if there are any fights.

Phanuthier
10-02-2008, 01:32 AM
Thanks for the reviews DS

What are the expectaions for Hugo Carpentier in QC this year? Top 6?

Will Ryder make the QC team?

Glad to hear about Cracknall, he seems to have come a ways from the ECHL.

Drunk Skunk
10-02-2008, 07:43 AM
Thanks for the reviews DS

What are the expectaions for Hugo Carpentier in QC this year? Top 6?

Will Ryder make the QC team?

Glad to hear about Cracknall, he seems to have come a ways from the ECHL.
Based on the little that I've seen, I would say Carpentier is a top 6 right now. Of course, I haven't seen anything about his actual game play, meaning his defense and the like, but he is offensively skilled.

I think Ryder is a shoe in to make the team. I'd actually be surprised if he didn't. I would also put Cracknall in the top 6 right now, based on his play so far.