PDA

View Full Version : Panthers/Oilers minor transaction

Sylvanfan
12-30-2004, 12:17 PM
Rumors out of Edmonton have the Oilers trading three good AHL prospects to the Panthers in exchange for two CPHL players and a draft pick. It's rumored that last years Sergei Makarov award winner Matt Lombardi, along with Matt Stajan, and Jeff Woywitka will be leaving the snow and cold of Edmonton for the sunny South. Coming back to Edmonton are depth winger Mikael Samuellsson and defenceman Vitaly Visnevski and Montreal's second round pick in the 05 draft. Just back from a trek to the North coast of BC to visit inlaws and get a first hand look at a declining depressed fishing village West Coast style Sylvanfan offered some comments on the deal.

"Well we were looking to add one more cheap depth winger up front and Sameulsson fits that description. He can play either side and is capable of filling regular 4th line, and spot duty on the third line if injuries occur. We really didn't have any suitable call up wingers so Sameulsson does fill a need for us. Visnevski is a good young defenceman who's starting to find his way in the league. He's the best right now player in this deal and the reason it goes down. We gave up three very good young players, but it boils down to us having terrific organizational depth at centre and being able to move Lombardi for the depth winger. Woywitka is a good young prospect who we like, but Visnevski was a #5 overall pick to a #27 overall pick and has 334 NHL games under his belt to Woywitka's 0 at this point in time. Still in time Woywitka could be the better player possibly a star player we don't know yet, but Visnevski is better right now. Stajan is also a very good young player with good offensive upside. If we pick wise with the Montreal 2nd (should be somewhere between 47-57 overall pick depending on how Theodore plays) than we'll be okay in this deal long term. But if we poop the bed with that pick we lose the deal long term because all three of these guys will be good regular CPHL players in 3-4 years. Than again it didn't cost us any of our top prospects and does improve our team today as we prepare to contend for this years CPHL championship."

Of course the rumors are preliminary and the deal still needs to be ratified by CPHL officials.

MJK
12-30-2004, 05:09 PM
The Smelly Rat
December 30, 2004

The Panthers are very pleased to announce that they have aquired Matt Lombardi, along with Matt Stajan, and Jeff Woywitka. All three players will be a core part of this team for years to come (or until a nice trade comes along) :D

The Panthers lose an important part of their defensive core but with the aquisition of Bryan Allan a few days ago, they are not all that worse off.

We are continuing to build for the future. Giving up Vishnevski was very tough but by getting these three young players, we feel that we are much better off in the long run.

"I like to trade" said GM Dave Penney.

And that's all that needs to be said!

Cheese
12-31-2004, 03:00 PM
hmmmm...yup last years Panthers GM is bacccccccccccccccckkkkkkkk!

Sylvanfan
12-31-2004, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by GerryCheevers@Dec 31 2004, 10:00 PM
hmmmm...yup last years Panthers GM is bacccccccccccccccckkkkkkkk!
Yeah, and you were soooooooo concerned about the future when you won the championship twice (with two different teams I may add). Fact is no one knows how to win the championship with a 75 million dollar payroll in this league because it's never been done. All I know is that today Woywitka is rated 58 and Stajan is rated 61. Woywitka has a whopping 7 assists in 31 games in the AHL this year and has yet to play an NHL game. Stajan had 27 points in 69 NHL games last year and has 23 in 32 AHL games this year. But the cold hard fact is he can't be rerated, yeah he should probably be a 65-66OV rated player, but he isn't. I'm not a commissioner so I don't know what the hell the league plans for ratings so the best I can do is go by what I know now. From all the bitching and complaining thats resulted from last years league wide rerate I highly doubt the league is going to waste time doing it again considering there was no NHL season to base a rerate on. Lombardi has serious injury concerns and has barely skated since taking that elbow from Hatcher. For all I know is he's the next Brett Lindros, and you yourself have said that all the guys on the real life Flames suck and aren't worth their weight in sh*t when it comes to ratings. The pick is far from useless, and Visnevski is the right age and coming off his best NHL season so his rating should improve. Players can be replaced, but time can't. This deal was used to buy me time. The Turco trade last year was brutal I admit it first and foremost. I hardly think I'll find myself complaining about missing the playoffs this year because I traded those three players.

Cheese
01-01-2005, 11:43 AM
The POINT is this ya dummy...you traded THREE blue chip prospects for Visnevsky...Samuelsson is a bum. IF that is a good deal well then hell Ill just shut up.