PDA

View Full Version : Security Systems

Tron_fdc
08-08-2004, 10:18 PM
I went with ADT in my house after my old man got robbed last year. I spent a little time checking out all the different companies, and even though they were a little more expensive I thought the equipment and service was better than the others I looked at.

Basic systems are pretty cheap, I think mine was $250 with upgrades to the smoke detector (lowers house insurance rate), extra motion detector, and a few extra window contacts in the basement. The monitoring is around $50/month, but that's with an upgrade to their security team dispatch instead of just sending the cops if my alarm goes off (cheaper if it's a false alarm). I also had to sign a 2 yr contract, which is pretty much industry standard from what I was told.

If you check their websites some have free promos (new TV's 'n stuff) if you sign up, so that might influence your decision.

I-Hate-Hulse
08-08-2004, 11:44 PM
I belive Stealth Alarms has been censured recently for some unsavory business practices - pressure tactics or something like that. On the whole I'd stick with a larger more established company as a lot of these companies tend to be fly by night, and quite frankly if someone's not there to respond to your alarm it's not going to be much good.

kipperiggy
08-08-2004, 11:52 PM
I would definitely recommend a security system, they are definitely worth it. The costs for installation are not outrageous and neither are the monthly costs. I believe it is around the 200 dollar range for installation and 30-50 dollars a month, although it would vary from company to company. I can't really recommend a specific company...

The costs (money-wise and time-wise) of dealing with insurance to replace your stolen property are huge and unwanted. Definitely get a security system!!

CrzyCanuck
08-09-2004, 07:32 AM
I used to pay for one when I worked out of town (for the woman). However, now that I am back, I stopped this service. Having an alarm that is through the phone system is a complete waste of time. As soon as the line is cut 95% of alarm companies won't be monitoring your home. And to top it off, any criminal worth his weight, will be out of your house in less then 3-5 minutes. So the only security that you are paying for is for a loud alram that might scare off small time criminals.

So not worth 40$ a month. I just took pics of everything I own, made a couple off site copies and hope that my nice neighbours deter intruders from hanging out when I am away.

TheCommodoreAfro
08-09-2004, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by I-Hate-Hulse@Aug 9 2004, 02:44 PM
I belive Stealth Alarms has been censured recently for some unsavory business practices - pressure tactics or something like that. On the whole I'd stick with a larger more established company as a lot of these companies tend to be fly by night, and quite frankly if someone's not there to respond to your alarm it's not going to be much good.
Avoid Stealth Alarms. Not nice people. Personal experience, and I never did wind up buying from them. ADT (the one you mentioned, plett) was pretty good - that's who I went with.

In Japan I leave my doors unlocked. This place is scarily crime free outside of a few isolated whack jobs.