PDA

View Full Version : Projected Roster: 2008-09' Quad City Flames

chris lindberg
07-22-2008, 05:21 PM
Well, first off I am assuming that room will be left up on the big club for one Quad City foward, after all, Darryl Sutter did say he thought up to three AHL fowards could make the big show, and this was before the entry draft, even before Quad City acquiring Kyle Greentree, Jamie Lundmark, Pete Vandermeer and before Dan Ryder was back in the fold.

I believe Sutter was referring to three guys from the following foward group, David VanderGulik, Kris Chucko, Brandon Prust, Warren Peters and Tomi Maki, (was givan a qualifing offer) hell, Darryl even said Adam Cracknell had an NHL shot, as in his shot alone was good enough to get him up in the big leauges. The player to win that one spot will most likely be Prust as he now has a one way deal with Calgary.

One of these three defenceman should also make the Calgary team, they are Adam Pardy, Matt Pelech and Brett Palin, yup, Ryan McGill said all three of these guys look ready to compete for an NHL job up with the Flames. So, how about for arguments sake let's just say Prust and Pardy make the Calgary squad.

All this is really is a shot in the dark as there are so many variables that could change when there are re-calls up to Calgary such as Kyle Greentree and Jamie Lundmark, unkown contract status of Cam Cunning and perhaps there is no room at all if juniors Mikael Backlund and John Negrin join the Flames as soon as this season.
I'm sure more players will be added by the time the season is underway, not to mention the other eligible AHL try outs such as Gerry Burke, Chris Bruton, Per Jonsson, and Ryley Grantham. There may even be a change in stance from the likes of James Spratt, Alexander Deilert, Aaron Marvin or Jordan Fulton should they wish to pursue an AHL or ECHL gig. Mikael Backlund is also eligible but highly unlikely.
Other factors include the contract status of Andrei Taratukhin and Tomi Maki, will they return?
There may even be a possibility of one of Calgary's veterans being sent down, Marcus Nilson, Rhett Warrener or Anders Eriksson?

Projected 2008-09' Quad City Flames:

Greentree - Ryder - Germyn
Chucko - Lundmark - VanderGulik
Armstrong - Carpentier - Cracknell (I think he breaks out this year!)
Cunning - Peters - Sutter
P.Vandermeer - Seitsonen -Tremblay
Grantham? - Bruton? - Watt
Maki? - Taratukhin? - Marvin?
Fulton?

Palin - Pelech
Cole - Wilson
Baldwin - Spang
Burke? - Jonsson?
Deilert? - Calgary Vet?

Irving
Keetley
Lalande
Spratt?

I guess whoever doesn't make the AHL still has a chance for a re-call from our ECHL affiliate, how many roster spots down there again, three, four?

:)

thefanblogger
07-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Well, first off I am assuming that room will be left up on the big club for one Quad City foward, after all, Darryl Sutter did say he thought up to three AHL fowards could make the big show, and this was before the entry draft, even before Quad City acquiring Kyle Greentree, Jamie Lundmark, Pete Vandermeer and before Dan Ryder was back in the fold.

I believe Sutter was referring to three guys from the following foward group, David VanderGulik, Chris Chucko, Brandon Prust, Warren Peters and Tomi Maki, (was givan a qualifing offer) hell, Darryl even said Adam Cracknell had an NHL shot, as in his shot alone was good enough to get him up in the big leauges. The player to win that one spot will most likely be Prust as he now has a one way deal with Calgary.

One of the defenceman from the group of Adam Pardy, Matt Pelech and Brett Palin, yup, Ryan McGill said all three of these guys look ready to compete for an NHL job up with the Flames. So, how about for arguments sake let's just say Prust and Pardy make the Calgary squad.

All this is really is a shot in the dark as there are so many variables that could change when there are re-calls up to Calgary such as Kyle Greentree and Jamie Lundmark, unkown contract status of Cam Cunning and perhaps there is no room at all if juniors Mikael Backlund and John Negrin join the Flames as soon as this season.
I'm sure more players will be added by the time the season is underway, not to mention the other eligible AHL try outs such as Gerry Burke, Chris Bruton, Per Jonsson, and Ryley Grantham.
Other factors include the contract status of Andrei Taratukhin and Tomi Maki, will they return?
There may even be a possibility of one of Calgary's veterans being sent down, Rhett Warrener or Anders Eriksson?

Chucko - Lundmark - VanderGulik
Armstrong - Carpentier - Cracknell (-I think he breaks out this year!)
Cunning - Peters - Sutter
P.Vandermeer - Seitsonen -Tremblay
Grantham - Watt

Palin - Pelech
Cole - Wilson
Baldwin - Spang
Burke

Irving
Keetley
Lalande

I guess whoever doesn't make the AHL still has a chance for a re-call from our ECHL affiliate, how many roster spots down there again, three, four?

I think four with one goalie spot I think

Hunter74
07-22-2008, 07:00 PM
Well when Sutter first made the comments about the team getting younger on the wings i first thought, wow maybe he thinks some of the AHLers are going to step up this year. Then i quickly realized that this is Sutter and even if he did think some of the AHL guys could step up he isn't gonna bank on it and you could expect Sutter to pick up some younger wingers by FA or trades. Which Sutter did do.

I think other than Prust who is supposedly on a one way contract i do not think any other prospect is gonna crack the lineup. It is possible and Sutter/Keenan will keep who ever is the best but considering the new young guys(Bourque, Glenclose even Nystrom, Moss, Boyd) have either been in the NHL for 2-3 seasons its gonna be tough for a guy like Van Der Gulik and Greentree to beat them out.

But hey I love rooting for the under dog so. GO CHUCKO!

So the AHL roster should be all the prospects/players not on one way contracts barring any injuries in camp.

chris lindberg
07-24-2008, 01:20 AM
Well when Sutter first made the comments about the team getting younger on the wings i first thought, wow maybe he thinks some of the AHLers are going to step up this year.

The comment I am speaking of was made just before the "younger on the wings" comment, soon after or during the playoffs, I'll try and find it for ya.

Darryl said he thought three or four guys down in the minors had a chance to make the Flames this year, most likely talking about guys from the following group: Prust, VDG, Peters, Chucko, Cracknell, Maki, Germyn or perhaps he was even talking about his own son, Brett Sutter, as everyone is saying what a great skater he is.

:eek:

snowdude
07-24-2008, 07:15 AM
I don't have too many thoughts on how the roster will shake out since I still think a move is coming up to clear salary that will change this picture. However, just looking at the names to plug into a projected roster makes it nice to see how far the team has come in the last few years when they didn't have enough prospects to fill out an AHL team.

chris lindberg
07-25-2008, 12:14 AM
Tomi Maki is still on the Quad City website, maybe he does come back?looks like they just updated it, all the other guys were taken off too, adding Spang, P.Vandermeer, Lundmark, Trembly and Greentree.

http://www.qcflames.com/team/players.php

Drunk Skunk
07-25-2008, 12:21 AM
Vandermeer is listed as a forward, but I could have sworn he was playing D in San Antonio last season.

I actually like the looks of this roster A LOT more than last season's ... and not just because Hammer is on the team.

chris lindberg
07-25-2008, 01:04 AM
I just noticed they still have Brent Krahn on their, I wonder if he'll try out for the team again?

Gerry Burke is also still listed on the roster, does he have a AHL contract with Quad City?

snowdude
07-25-2008, 07:15 AM
I just noticed they still have Brent Krahn on their, I wonder if he'll try out for the team again?

There's no room for Krahan to play with Irving going pro and with Keetly and Lelande looking for more playing time. Krahn's time in the organization is over and there's no benefit to giving him a contract and letting him take playing time away from the other three guys who might actually be in Calgary's plans.

Muta
07-25-2008, 09:11 AM
Vandermeer is listed as a forward, but I could have sworn he was playing D in San Antonio last season.

I actually like the looks of this roster A LOT more than last season's ... and not just because Hammer is on the team.

Who's Hammer?

There's going to be some tough customers on this Quad Cities squad. Peter Vandermeer, Jonathan Tremblay, possibly Brandon Prust if he's back in the AHL for whatever reason (not likely, though). Nice compliments to the offensive talent on the team... this team is going to have a very balanced scoring attack - atleast, moreso than last year.

Drunk Skunk
07-25-2008, 10:09 AM
Who's Hammer?

There's going to be some tough customers on this Quad Cities squad. Peter Vandermeer, Jonathan Tremblay, possibly Brandon Prust if he's back in the AHL for whatever reason (not likely, though). Nice compliments to the offensive talent on the team... this team is going to have a very balanced scoring attack - atleast, moreso than last year.
Jonathan Tremblay's nickname, since junior, is "The Hammer." Here's a good reason why (http://youtube.com/watch?v=um_T5ob_3Gk). :D

Prust won't be back down, he's signed to a one-way deal. I do not see him passing through waivers. I wouldn't mind Grantham making the squad here though. I imagine he will be here during the pre-season, at least. That will make a very fun camp.

OzSome
07-25-2008, 09:53 PM

Kyle Greentree
Daniel Ryder
Carson Germyn
Kris Chucko
Jamie Lundmark
David VanderGulik
John Armstrong
Hugo Carpentier
Adam Cracknell
Cam Cunning - might play in Las Vegas
Warren Peters - Las Vegas
Brett Sutter
Peter Vandermeer
JD Watt
Marcus Nilsson
longshot Chris Bruton

Adam Palin
Matt Pelech
Brad Cole
Ryan Wilson
Gord Baldwin
Gerry Burke
Anders Eriksson

Leland Irving
Matt Keetley
Kevin Lalande - back in Las Vegas

PIMking
07-25-2008, 10:23 PM

Kyle Greentree
Daniel Ryder
Carson Germyn
Kris Chucko
Jamie Lundmark
David VanderGulik
John Armstrong
Hugo Carpentier
Adam Cracknell
Cam Cunning - might play in Las Vegas
Warren Peters - Las Vegas
Brett Sutter
Peter Vandermeer
JD Watt
Marcus Nilsson
longshot Chris Bruton

Adam Palin
Matt Pelech
Brad Cole
Ryan Wilson
Gord Baldwin
Gerry Burke
Anders Eriksson

Leland Irving
Matt Keetley
Kevin Lalande - back in Las Vegas

Whos Adam Palin? You mean Bret Palin?

Warren Peters the teams captain is NOT going to be sent to the ECHL

Cam Cunning wont be sent down either.

chris lindberg
08-01-2008, 01:00 AM
Well when Sutter first made the comments about the team getting younger on the wings i first thought, wow maybe he thinks some of the AHLers are going to step up this year.

Found that tidbit on Darryl Sutter...May 28, 2008.

"And there's two or three forwards that should be able to play on our team."

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/story.html?id=d649f337-9e9f-4843-b39f-e8fb7626d419&p=2

chris lindberg
08-22-2008, 07:24 PM
News is a bit olders but...

Axemen add 7 recruits to hockey club
Published Wednesday July 30th, 2008
By The Daily Gleaner

Forward Chris Bruton, captain of the Memorial Cup winning Spokane Chiefs last season, heads the list of seven recruits to the Atlantic University Sport Acadia Axemen for the upcoming hockey season.

Bruton, 20, had 26 goals and 63 points with the Chiefs. He played four years in Spokane, finishing his junior career with 258 games played, 14th all-time in Chiefs' franchise history. Last season, he was a plus 33, tied for fifth in the Western League.

http://dailygleaner.canadaeast.com/search/article/369354

SparkyOne
08-25-2008, 04:36 PM

Gerry Burke is also still listed on the roster, does he have a AHL contract with Quad City?

Burke is signed....

And I'd love for Maki to be back! Maybe this is a good sign and my information is correct....

dlogint
08-30-2008, 09:35 AM
Burke has not resigned. I hope QC brings him back. He's a class kid. Wonder if it's over for him.

PIMking
08-30-2008, 08:26 PM
there is no room for Burke. Im happy with the D that we have. Give a Calgary prospect the ice time.

SparkyOne
09-02-2008, 01:57 PM
Burke has not resigned. I hope QC brings him back. He's a class kid. Wonder if it's over for him.

Thanks! Not sure where I got that from....but it looks like Las Vegas wants Burke back. (http://www.ecachockey.com/men/2008-09/news/20080307_LasVegasQualifying)

QCsec113
09-03-2008, 08:32 PM
its good to see they want him back!He played very solidly here for us(better than the suppossed great prospects that we had that are no longer with us on the D!!wish he would be back!

dlogint
09-07-2008, 06:16 AM
A brief conversation w/ Burke before he went back to Vegas about what he hoped for in the future, left the impression that it was an "up or out" year. After 3 years he hoped to be in the AHL and did not want to start a 4th year in the ECHL. I agree that he was very solid player and to me seemed he improved on a weekly basis.

Flames Addict
09-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Does anyone here know much about Kyle Greentree? What kind of player is he? What kind of NHL potential does he have? Will he push for an NHL spot sometime this year? Next year?

chris lindberg
10-05-2008, 02:59 PM
Updated 2008-09' Quad City Flames:

Foward:
Chucko - Lundmark - Cracknell
Seitsonen - Carpentier - VanderGulik
Sutter - Peters - Armstrong - (C/RW)
Cunning - Tremblay - Watt

Defence:
Eriksson - Pelech
Wilson - Warrener
Cole- Palin
Spang - Straub
P.Vandermeer

* Baldwin injured

Goaltender:
Irving
Keetley

Las Vegas Wranglers:

Hamiltion

Lalande

Drunk Skunk
10-05-2008, 03:56 PM
There's no way Bowers is even on the depth chart, let alone infront of anyone aside from Ofukany.

chris lindberg
10-05-2008, 04:02 PM
Drunk Skunk, what have Quad City's lines been looking like?

dobbles
10-05-2008, 07:58 PM
i know you asked DS, but thought i would give a quick reply. they have been totally different as players filter down. additionally, for the thursday game, several regulars like peters, germyn, and vandergulick didn't play as i assume they were trying to get longer looks at the tryout players.

for saturdays game cunning sat, but i can't think of any other significant players that didn't play. and i dont recall seeing any of the guys that were sent down this week like greentree. though they might have been around in time for tonights game. not sure.

SparkyOne
10-06-2008, 09:29 AM
i know you asked DS, but thought i would give a quick reply. they have been totally different as players filter down. additionally, for the thursday game, several regulars like peters, germyn, and vandergulick didn't play as i assume they were trying to get longer looks at the tryout players.

for saturdays game cunning sat, but i can't think of any other significant players that didn't play. and i dont recall seeing any of the guys that were sent down this week like greentree. though they might have been around in time for tonights game. not sure.

Also, Saturday night Ryder was on a line with the "PTO boys" for most of the night.

Saturday McGill seemed to have Peters and Germyn out there together a lot. Sometimes Vandy was on that line, sometimes not. He was mixing and matching a lot. The Sutter et al group that just got cut weren't dressed.

These were truly exhibition games....we were seeing a lot of funky stuff!

Muta
10-06-2008, 01:17 PM
Quad Cities gets infinitely stronger if Rhett Warrener, Jamie Lundmark and Anders Eriksson make it through waivers and get assigned.

What a great defense that would look like....

Warrener - Pelech
Eriksson - Cole
Palin - Spang
Wilson - Baldwin

... or something along the lines of that.

MrMastodonFarm
10-06-2008, 01:26 PM
Warrener and Pelech are going to hurt alot of people this year.

dobbles
10-06-2008, 03:53 PM
some of the PTO guys were released today

The Quad City Flames announced today that the team has released Scott Reid and Mike Hamilton from their Professional Try-Out Agreements. Troy Ofukany, Jeff Pierce, Justin Bowers and Ryan Dutton were released from Amateur Try-Out Agreements. Following today’s cuts, the team’s roster features 23 players (15 forwards, six defensemen and two goaltenders).

http://www.qcflames.com/news/fullstory.php?id=339

Drunk Skunk
10-06-2008, 10:42 PM
Warrener and Pelech are going to hurt alot of people this year.
Vandermeer
Tremblay
Watt
Warrener
Pelech
Cunning
Chucko
Peters
Palin

It's going to be very, very painful to take the ice against Quad City this year.

chris lindberg
10-07-2008, 06:58 AM
Thanks for the updates Quad City fans, but who is the 6th defenceman, Brandon Straub or Gord Baldwin?

I'm really hoping for sniper Adam Cracknell to make it as a scoring right winger on the QC Flames this year and to a lesser extent the big Finn Seitsonen to become a full time regular AHLer, has Aki been playing left wing or centre?

Who's going down to the Las Vegas besides PTO defenceman Mike Hamilton, just goaltender Kevin Lalande?

Do the Flames have to fill up those 3-4 roster positions with the Wranglers or is it just an open option, if they need the room they will kind of deal?

SparkyOne
10-07-2008, 08:20 AM
I'd say Straub's going back to Vegas and Baldwin will stay in the QC. Just a guess, but Straub seems to need a little more "tuning" that he could get in Vegas. Maybe a callup if we need him later.

As for the toughness factor, it's clearly evident that it's there and we as fans are already seeing it. Must be an attitude in the room, too....gotta love Palin's comment....

Palin, who's not known to be an offensive threat, shrugged off his score, which came from the top of the right circle. He had plenty to say about the physical nature of the game, however.

“It's going to be like that all season,” Palin said. “Anyone that doesn't wear our crest and jersey gets treated the same way.”

Dynasty12
10-08-2008, 12:35 AM
I'm looking forward to see Warrener and Pelech! I think this could be a very solid pairing. As much as Erikson was a target he'll probably be a pretty good player for QC.

Vulcan
10-08-2008, 04:31 AM
I could see the Flames loaning out Eriksson to another AHL team if he stays in North America. No sense having both him and Warrener taking away ice time from our prospects.

chris lindberg
10-08-2008, 07:17 AM
No sense having both him and Warrener taking away ice time from our prospects.

I still think both Warrener & Eriksson will be moved at some point, but regarding your statement, perhaps playing with veteran defenceman would be a good thing as the Quad City D only really only has Matt Pelech (21) having a realistic shot to make the big club and to a lesser extent perhaps Brett Palin (24) & Ryan Wilson (21) so maybe playing with Warrener & Eriksson would be better for Matt Pelech and the others development rather than playing alongside either Brad Cole (22) or Dan Spang (26)

Eriksson - Pelech - (shoots right)
Wilson - Warrener - (shoots right)
Cole- Palin - (shoots right)
Spang - Straub

It appears Brandon Straub (25) may have won the last spot on D over the injured Gord Baldwin (21) well according to the Quad City roster page anyway.

http://www.qcflames.com/team/players.php

Flames Draft Watcher
10-08-2008, 04:50 PM
I'm looking forward to see Warrener and Pelech! I think this could be a very solid pairing. As much as Erikson was a target he'll probably be a pretty good player for QC.

Doubt that would be a pairing. Warrener and Pelech are both the much rarer right-handed shooters. Usually if a guy plays his off side its a speedy puck mover, not the more defensive defensemen like Warrener and Pelech. I'd imagine they'd both play with left shooters.