PDA

View Full Version : First day reports Goalies

thefanblogger
07-21-2008, 04:25 PM
Lalande, Kevin

Had a great day, his play has really improved. Kevin’s lateral movement from side to side was very good. Still needs to work on his angles giving to much room for the shooter. But he is quicker than last year he looks like he has had a good summer working out.

Keetley, Matt

Looks like the old Matt as usual; I truly believe that he is the best prospect in net. His glove hand is very good, plays his angles very well. The only thing he needs to work on is controlling his rebounds.

Irving, Leland

Covers his net very well he does not give much for the shooter. But he is very quick and controls his rebounds very well. I love his attitude always looking for improvement. I suspect he will be battling it out for one of the two positions in Quad Cities.

Spratt, James

He still has some work to do James not quite there yet. In all fairness has not had the background as the other three. He is still a good looking prospect needs some help in covering his angles well. His glove has is pretty good and is a great stick handler.

But again this is only the first day; there is plenty of time to make up.

The Shooters that were there were

Backlund, Mikael

The guy is a good as advertised. I love his skating has quick hands will make a great playmaker. Backlund has all the tools to be the right for the NHL. It will be in the line up or back to Sweden, he will not to back to Quad City.

Ryder, Dan

Dan did not look rusty today made some solid shots I like his skating ability. I think he will be fine, glad to see him there.

burn_this_city
07-21-2008, 04:28 PM
Nice write up.. Wish I was there..

JiriHrdina
07-21-2008, 04:35 PM
Most important news of the day is that Dan Ryder got on the ice already! Already ahead of last year's pace.

Flame4Ever
07-21-2008, 05:14 PM
I really hope that Dan's carrer gets back on track.
I still beleive he has the potential to have a Stasny like impact after a year of seasoning in the minors. He can be a solid two way player that you never notice until you watch carefully because he's not super flashy. However, if you look closely, he's making the smart play most of the time.

Canada 02
07-21-2008, 05:16 PM
whether its fair or not, I just can't see a first round pick being sent to the ECHL; I think Irving is a lock to be in QC

jtfrogger
07-21-2008, 05:18 PM
That's awesome that Ryder was there. I have been waiting for tomorrow to find out if he would show up this year. I got my info a day early!

Thanks for the update.

tvp2003
07-21-2008, 05:20 PM
Some photos on Calgary Herald.com if you're a gear-head and want to see what equipment the goalies are wearing:

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/photogalleries/template.html?topic=072108_Flames&g=0

(Can't say I'm that impressed with Irving's new mask)

MolsonInBothHands
07-21-2008, 05:22 PM
Thanks for the report. Great to hear Ryder has shown up. Looking forward to the goal tender battles.

coldraptors
07-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Thanks for the report a lot!! Sutter believes Backlund a genuine shot at the squad this year but since we already have about 15 forwards signed, he will play in Sweden this year.

SebC
07-21-2008, 07:31 PM
Some photos on Calgary Herald.com if you're a gear-head and want to see what equipment the goalies are wearing:

http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/photogalleries/template.html?topic=072108_Flames&g=0

(Can't say I'm that impressed with Irving's new mask)

http://media.canada.com/gallery/072108_Flames/FLAMES%20CALGARY0721-PT-A3.jpgKeetley uses the force to be see the puck!

thefanblogger
07-21-2008, 07:53 PM
hey guys should I do my daily reports here or the main form when I go tomorrow

PIMking
07-21-2008, 08:00 PM
do em here!!!! Us in the QC land want to see the boys! Thanks bud!!!

Save Us Sutter
07-21-2008, 08:04 PM
Maybe add a thread to the main board saying people can find them here? I'll admit I didn't see this until right now. That's not a shot at the QC board as I appreciate the insight we get here on our prospects as well as Hoody's article links. Just don't check here as much.

Good news on both the forwards. I'm looking forward to reading the rest of your updates. Thanks!

snowdude
07-21-2008, 08:25 PM
http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/insideflames/archive/2008/07/21/flames-rookie-camp-day-1-ryder.aspx

Ryder speaks:
"I just needed some time away from hockey — I still wasn't ready for a
full season. That was my decision — I'm glad I did it. Two long seasons
in a row, two short summers. It was just hockey every day. I wasn't
ready for a full season. I feel ready for a full season now."

Sample00
07-21-2008, 08:28 PM
great write up and thanks for the links to the pics.
My son and I went last year but alas wont be able to go this year.
as my son is a goalie, he's really into this. Got to meet them last year.
appreciate the efforts, thanks

Dorkmaster
07-21-2008, 09:42 PM
Sweet, thanks a lot for the information.

looooob
07-21-2008, 10:13 PM
http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/insideflames/archive/2008/07/21/flames-rookie-camp-day-1-ryder.aspx

Ryder speaks:man I hope that to be true. I know its not all candycanes and lollipops with this guy, but if he has his head on straight he can be a good pro for the Flames

looooob
07-21-2008, 10:15 PM
whether its fair or not, I just can't see a first round pick being sent to the ECHL; I think Irving is a lock to be in QC
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=62478

JiriHrdina
07-21-2008, 10:33 PM
man I hope that to be true. I know its not all candycanes and lollipops with this guy, but if he has his head on straight he can be a good pro for the Flames

Yeah it is indeed encouraging. Having Taratuhkin, Gioradno and Ryder all "leave" the organization last off-season was discouraging for an organization that is already not very deep in prospects.

Fast forward and both appear back in the fold.

Ryder could of course flake out again - but one hopes that he stays with it because the talent is certainly there.

Canada 02
07-22-2008, 12:10 AM
http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php3?pid=62478

totally different situation; the Oilers didnt have an AHL team at the time, and had limited roster spots from the Penguines

Rhettzky
07-22-2008, 07:27 AM

Ryder speaks:

Great write-up. Loved the ending...

Monday's session was no test for the shooters. Their purpose, of course, is to simply put shots on net as directed by the coaches. But on a couple of sequences, Ryder showed a marvellous set of soft hands. Then again, it's easy to look good when you're by yourself. Quite another when Jason Smith is trying to fit his elbow into your ear hole.

looooob
07-22-2008, 08:54 AM
totally different situation; the Oilers didnt have an AHL team at the time, and had limited roster spots from the Penguines
yeah I know was partly kidding around, but still I think there might be a few other examples. goal is the one position where ECHL isnt necessarily kiss of death. he's in real tough to start in the AHL this year so then it comes down to how many pucks he'll see

HOOT
07-22-2008, 09:30 AM
Yeah it is indeed encouraging. Having Taratuhkin, Gioradno and Ryder all "leave" the organization last off-season was discouraging for an organization that is already not very deep in prospects.

Fast forward and both appear back in the fold.

Ryder could of course flake out again - but one hopes that he stays with it because the talent is certainly there.

Is there a chance we see Taratuhkin back? I didn't really follow when he left the team so I don't know how the "break up" went.

JiriHrdina
07-22-2008, 09:34 AM
Is there a chance we see Taratuhkin back? I didn't really follow when he left the team so I don't know how the "break up" went.

He broke a signed contract so i doubt it.

FlamesAddiction
07-22-2008, 09:34 AM

Going from memory, Sutter's comments were not overly harsh and it didn't sound like the door was slammed shut. He said something along the lines of Taratukhin having a contract with the Flames and he could still come back to honour it.

I doubt it will ever happen though. Taratukhin didn't exactly light the world on fire when he went back to Russia. His conditioning was horrible according to his Russian coaches - so it makes you wonder how seriously he tried in NA. He's also probably better off career-wise in Russia where he can play a more prominent role. He's no spring chicken any more.

Canada 02
07-22-2008, 10:12 AM
Irving
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/heraldhockey/story.html?id=f1ad549c-6f1f-4bf1-9d38-cf4c051e9a62

Keetley
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/heraldhockey/story.html?id=110bb851-1b75-4043-b4fc-b48e63503f42

Ryder
http://www.canada.com/calgaryherald/news/sports/flames/story.html?id=3f6c8f12-d38d-4880-bad1-6413cd16032d

Stud_McCool
07-22-2008, 10:22 AM
So, is it fair to assume that Dan Ryder has more talent than his brother?
Michael Ryder is an established NHLer after all, even though last season was almost a write-off for him.

Fire
07-22-2008, 10:24 AM
Ryder sounds like a guy who could get "sick" of hockey again at any time. Sounds like a guy that doesn't really enjoy the game and just in it for the money.

looooob
07-22-2008, 10:35 AM
So, is it fair to assume that Dan Ryder has more talent than his brother?
Michael Ryder is an established NHLer after all, even though last season was almost a write-off for him.I think the thinking a few years ago was that he was a better all around player than Michael, but Michael gets by on some attributes (shot etc) that Daniel doesn't have

chris lindberg
07-22-2008, 10:45 AM
Sutter believes Backlund a genuine shot at the squad this year but since we already have about 15 forwards signed, he will play in Sweden this year.

If the kid is ready for a top six foward postion, I would think Darryl Sutter would very easily make room for him, just deal off one of Primeau or Moss.

chris lindberg
07-22-2008, 10:49 AM
I was really surprised when Taratukhin left, there were so many good reports of his play down in Omaha, hitting hard playing right wing on their top line but never got the call up from Calgary though.

Dan Ryder is back, right on!

Jebus
07-22-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey blogger, how long have the sessions been lasting?

I want to head down this week and need to figure out when/how long I will be away from the office.

Cheers.
-J

Caged Great
07-22-2008, 10:59 AM

I want to head down this week and need to figure out when/how long I will be away from the office.

Cheers.
-J

They are from 8:30-2 every day this week.

the goalies get a warm up for a half hour, group a 9-12 and B from 11-2 IIRC

MrMastodonFarm
07-22-2008, 11:07 AM
Good stuff so far guys, loved seeing the goalie gear. Keetley has a Tabaracchi (first stint) type Flames, very deep and dark, love it.

As for Ryder, it's great that he is back. If he needed the year, fine, I just hope he doesn't need another one down the line. Dan had 5 points in 6 AHL games last year. That's after missing an entire summer, and showing up late for camp. He can be a player, and if his head is back in it, he is our best offensie prospect behind Backlund.

nuttjeremy
07-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Glad to see Dan Ryder back in the mix, hopefully everything in his life is back on track. I would love to see that kid in a Flames uni down the road...

Flame4Ever
07-22-2008, 12:18 PM
With four other skaters -- Mikael Backlund, Kris Chucko, John Armstrong, Alexander Deilert -- Ryder had been on the Pengrowth Saddledome's ice for Monday's goalies-only session to provide authoritative shots for the netminders

Apparently our 7 th round pick has crossed the pond and is attending camp. Did he get drafted in the CHL by anybody? Or is this a small trip to scout things out like Per Johnsson did last year?

Canada 02
07-22-2008, 12:26 PM
Apparently our 7 th round pick has crossed the pond and is attending camp. Did he get drafted in the CHL by anybody? Or is this a small trip to scout things out like Per Johnsson did last year?

don't see anything special about him being here, anymore than Backlund or any prospect in the organization (foreign or domestic); not a big deal to spend $3-5K on a plane ticket, room and board for a week. I think its a bigger surprise that Per Jonsson isnt here

Five-hole
07-22-2008, 12:53 PM
Ryder sounds like a guy who could get "sick" of hockey again at any time. Sounds like a guy that doesn't really enjoy the game and just in it for the money.

It's something to be worried about. Let's hope maturity carries with it a certain diligence.

Flame4Ever
07-22-2008, 12:58 PM
don't see anything special about him being here, anymore than Backlund or any prospect in the organization (foreign or domestic); not a big deal to spend $3-5K on a plane ticket, room and board for a week. I think its a bigger surprise that Per Jonsson isnt here

Actually Per Jonsson didn't show up to the first camp right after he was drafted. I think it has something to do with getting a release from the swedish team they're currently playing for.
The fact that Deilert is here shows to me that he is at least serious about trying to play in NA. Given the uncertainty with the lack of transfer agreement, that's a good thing.

thefanblogger
07-22-2008, 03:47 PM

Cheers.
-J

Started July 21 to July 27

HOOT
07-22-2008, 11:06 PM
He broke a signed contract so i doubt it.

How long will the Flames hold his rights for? Can he ever come back to the NHL without playing with the Flames?

Sorry for the OT questions.

chris lindberg
07-22-2008, 11:38 PM
I believe Calgary will hold Andrei Taratukhin rights until he returns to furfill his three year contract, two years are still remaining.

JiriHrdina
07-22-2008, 11:48 PM
How long will the Flames hold his rights for? Can he ever come back to the NHL without playing with the Flames?

Sorry for the OT questions.

Seems to be some confusion on that - do I recall seeing they had to re-qualify him to retain his rights? I think I do - which suggests somehow in the eyes of the NHL or NHLPA the contract he signed is no longer valid.

Beyond that - I think since he was drafted under the old CBA - as long the Flames keep qualifying him - he's there property.

Not sure though. Some other more CBA savvy folks could probably clarify.

JiriHrdina
07-22-2008, 11:49 PM
I believe Calgary will hold Andrei Taratukhin rights until he returns to furfill his three year contract, two years are still remaining.

Was only a 2 year contract originally. And it seems to have lapsed now somehow.

flambers
07-23-2008, 01:25 PM
Was only a 2 year contract originally. And it seems to have lapsed now somehow.

Would the player not be suspended? Since he has a valid contract I would think the Flames suspended him (i.e. just like Ryder).

Not sure how that works with contracts and years of service....

thefanblogger
07-23-2008, 06:07 PM

That would make you right

tvp2003
07-23-2008, 07:33 PM
Taratukhin has 1 year left on a 2 year deal with the Flames: http://www.canada.com/topics/sports/hockey/story.html?id=182daf45-e6c0-4297-8b89-2d642ebbac03

Taratukhin, meanwhile, is actually under contract.

The 24-year-old had one season left on his two-year entry deal, but, out of the blue, he agreed to terms with Ufa Salavat Yulaev.

If he can manage to improve his game in Russia, I would love to see him back one day...

EDIT: If you are referring to his RSL contract, he just completed the first year of a three-year deal...

chris lindberg
07-23-2008, 09:32 PM
If he can manage to improve his game in Russia, I would love to see him back one day...

I remember the Omaha fans were pretty impressed with Taratukhin's play as their top line right winger, hard hitting, good defensive play, good stats...

2006-07' 80GP 17G 43A 60P +1 80PIM

thefanblogger
07-23-2008, 09:57 PM
[quote=chris lindberg;1389072]I remember the Omaha fans were pretty impressed with Taratukhin's play as their top line right winger, hard hitting, good defensive play, good stats...

2006-07' 80GP 17G 43A 60P +1 80PIM[/quote

He was a terrific prospect its to bad we lost him to Russia