PDA

View Full Version : Good win by the boys...

browna
08-08-2004, 12:29 AM
Suprised no-ones mentioned this.

Big win by the Stamps...haven't seen the stats as far as running, but it sounds like Jones played pretty well to get 49 points, as did the defense.

Two points out a playoff spot now.

TSN also says that the Sun says the Crandell is on recallable waivers, usually a sign of being on the trade block.

Regardless, much needed win at home, and get back on track...

oxygen
08-08-2004, 01:18 AM
i was at the game, there were a couple of huge running plays where we got some great yardage. i thought both teams looked a bit sluggish at the beginning of the game, but once calgary got going they looked pretty good. all in all a good game, grace is awesome and has become one of my favourite players. to cap off a great night there were three fights in my section with a bunch of winnipeg fans getting the boot and there was a semi-nude streaker who got pummelled in the end zone. very entertaining night to say the least. hopefully this is the beginning of a winning streak.

Trojan97
08-08-2004, 02:12 AM
Fights between fans "caps off a good night" for you? What kind of person are you

CaramonLS
08-08-2004, 08:21 AM
http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/box_score.asp?yy=200...15&gameStatus=2 (http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/box_score.asp?yy=2004&mm=08&dd=7&gameDate=20040807&gameID=&scheduleID=315&gameStatus=2)

There are the stats from the game last night.

We had 23 rushes for 152 yards.

Whereas Jones was 12 for 25 with 4 TD passes, 1 rush TD, 193 pass yards.

troutman
08-08-2004, 09:57 AM
Hard to judge the Stamps against a Bomber team that was clearly playing like they wanted their coach to be fired. Let's see how they do next week vs. SASK.

If CGY beat OTT like they should have, they would be 3-4 (having played MTL twice already). The Stamps are not as bad as people think.

Sidney Crosby's Hat
08-08-2004, 10:07 AM
The big reason why the Stamps won? NO TURNOVERS.

Let's also hope that the success of their offense wasn't only due to throwing the Bombers off with a new look.

JayP
08-08-2004, 10:43 AM
We're only two points back from Sask, but we have a game in hand. If we can pull off the win next week we're definitely right back in the thick of things. And we've worn out our two games against Montreal - everyone in the West has to play them at least once more. We're in good shape, guys. I posted these game thoughts over at that gostampsgo.com site, but here there are again:

I thought Brian Clark played a pretty bad game. He wasn't wrapping up his tackles at all. One drive the Bombers had in the third (the one where they made it 31-24) Clark had a chance to tackle Jones three yards before the 1st down marker. Jones got the first down. Then two plays later he had a similar situation with a Bomber slotback (forget who) six yards from the marker. Not a terrible game, but bad by our LB's standards.

Ike really impressed me tonight. Not only was he hitting the holes well, but I thought he was shaking tackles well all night. He has one hell of a stiff-arm.

I think our secondary will really improve drastically when Evans returns (anyone know when?). Boise is all over the field, but we need a good coverage HB. Boise is great at preventing the 15 & under passes from getting any steam, but we lack the good coverage that Evans provides.

The coaching staff made a lot better adjustments tonight than in past weeks. One thing I really noticed is that Winnipeg kept bringing their guards back to stuff the outside blitz from the linebackers. After this happened two or three times we ran the same play except Clark came in on a delay blitz right up the gap where the guard left to get the sack. Pretty critical play that was brought together by some good adjustments.

the_only_turek_fan
08-08-2004, 10:53 AM
I havent watched at all since Wally was given the axe, but I did see the highlights from last night.
Good win, glad to see those 49ers golden pants are gone.

And, who is this Jones guy?

pope04
08-08-2004, 11:00 AM
I, too, went to the game. Took my five-year-old son to his first CFL game. It was a good all-round effort by the Red 'n' White. Call me greedy, but I was hoping the boys would hit for fifty, and they would have if not for a silly penalty that negated a 40-plus yard field goal. Also, I think the Stamps were cheated out of a safety later.

AvengeR
08-08-2004, 01:56 PM
So Crandel is on recallable waivers. What does that mean? In the NHL, if you don't want a player, you put him on waivers and hope someone picks him up. If not, you are stuck with him.

In the CFL they can release players, so what is the point of waivers. If no one takes him, then waht happens?

octothorp
08-08-2004, 03:28 PM
Wonderful night for a football game--just a bit of a chill, almost like autumn out there.

Defense was solid throughout, particularly in not letting Winnipeg get any really big gains. The Bombers have some great receivers and there were a few times they got more than they should have, but there were none of the sixty or seventy yard gains. But man, the defense should have had about six interceptions. Good job containing Roberts, too.

Jones didn't really do much in the second half--no significant drives, except in the last ten minutes where he handed off or ran on every play, and did a great job running down the clock. But he capitalized when the Stamps were in close, which was huge. His defensive reads looked great last night; he lofts his passes a bit which means there's always going to be a chance of interceptions, but he did a great job of finding the wide-open guy on every play, and putting the ball in a spot where only the stamps could catch it.

Great game by the running commitee: Jones, Ike, and Deibert each did some good things on the ground. Looked As mentioned above, the drive where the Stamps got four or five first-downs late in the fourth quarter without even looking to pass once, that was really good to see.

O_M_A
08-08-2004, 03:38 PM
Wasn't at the game, but from what I've heard it was a pretty good show.

It'll be interesting to see if they can follow this up next week.

On that note, John Grace is a monster. Awesome, awesome player.