PDA

View Full Version : Panthers Aquire Ryan Suter

MJK
12-15-2004, 10:12 AM
The Smelly Rat
December 15th, 2004

Quickly becoming great trade partners, the Panthers and the Predators once again made made trade headlines late Tuesday night. Heading to Florida are stud prospects Ryan Suter and Alexander Steen, as well as Mikael Samuelsson and goaltender Jean-Marc Pelletier. Heading to Nashville is Jonathan Cheechoo.

"We feel that this is a great trade for our organization" said Penney. "Not only do we get a guy who can fill in for Cheechoo right away (Samuelsson), but we get two top notch prospects and a good young goaltender.

Suter is rated an 8.5 B on HockeysFuture while Steen is rated an 8.0 B. Both guys are expected to be a mojor part in the rebuilding process in Florida.

"We are sad to see Cheechoo go but the bottom line is that we have Trent Hunter and Brad Boyes already on the right wing" said Penney. "Our main goal was to get an awsome defensive prospect and we were very surprised when Mr. Schuler agreed to send us Suter. We now believe we have a very solid foundation on defence" said Penney.

With Jackman and Vishnevsky already in place, Penney hopes to see Suter and Ryan Whitney follow close behind.

MJK
12-15-2004, 10:41 AM
Trade actually still waiting league approval...

B)

Sylvanfan
12-15-2004, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by mjk123@Dec 15 2004, 05:12 PM

Heading to Florida are stud prospects Ryan Suter and Alexander Steen, as well as Mikael Samuelsson and goaltender Jean-Marc Pelletier. Heading to Nashville is Jonathan Cheechoo.
Well if you got those 4 for just Cheechoo (no money picks etc.) than that's a great trade for you.

MJK
12-15-2004, 12:09 PM
I sent $1,000,000 for next year.

moon
12-15-2004, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by Sylvanfan+Dec 15 2004, 12:01 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Sylvanfan @ Dec 15 2004, 12:01 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-mjk123@Dec 15 2004, 05:12 PM

Heading to Florida are stud prospects Ryan Suter and Alexander Steen, as well as Mikael Samuelsson and goaltender Jean-Marc Pelletier. Heading to Nashville is Jonathan Cheechoo.
Well if you got those 4 for just Cheechoo (no money picks etc.) than that's a great trade for you. [/b][/quote]
In some ways yes in others no.

There is no guarantee that Suter or especially Steen make the league.

Nashville gets a great young player that has established himself as a good and possibly great scorer.

Nashville has a really good team this year and getting a guy like Cheechoo can not only help them this year but in the next five years as well.

Sylvanfan
12-15-2004, 02:46 PM
Cheechoo is decent, but the money for next year is big too. Prospects are hit and miss, but Suter is still rated at the 8th or 9th best guy according to hockeysfuture last I looked. I don't blame Nashville for going for it, but I think it's worth the risk for Florida to make this move.

Fire
12-15-2004, 06:13 PM
I think it's a good trade for both teams. It helps me now and it's pretty safe assumption that Cheechoo will continue to progress. The $1 million will help me keep this good team together next season as well.

Suter is obviously a future NHLer and most likely a good NHLer. The question is will he be a great NHLer? Only time will tell. I didn't think Steen would turn out to be anything good so I traded him. Of course I could be wrong and he could be a star in the NHL. Pelletier and Samuelsson was basically a salary dump in order to afford Cheechoo.