PDA

View Full Version : Hugo Carpentier

loknessmonsters
04-29-2008, 05:49 PM
Hugo Carpentier gets some lov'n in the hockey news online edition for being one of the guys we can't wait to see in the NHL.
Great Job, Hugo, I can't wait either

Sylvanfan
04-29-2008, 06:12 PM
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=48049

Heres a old thread on Carpentier in case you're interested. I remember his cousin posting here. Hopefully he's deemed worthy of a contract with the Flames and gets on the way to a good NHL career.

loknessmonsters
04-29-2008, 06:41 PM
thanks sylvanfan, maybe some help for the big club quicker than we thought.
Like I had said on another post. I have a feeling a bunch of the kids are still a half year away. Not ready to make the team out of camp, but maybe by Christmas. Then maybe we can move some of the older guys for picks.

FlamesAddiction
04-29-2008, 08:05 PM
http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showthread.php?t=48049

Heres a old thread on Carpentier in case you're interested. I remember his cousin posting here. Hopefully he's deemed worthy of a contract with the Flames and gets on the way to a good NHL career.

Don't we have to sign him really soon if we are going to retain his rights?

loknessmonsters
04-29-2008, 08:18 PM
Yeah we have to sign him or he goes back in the draft, if I'm not mistaken, and then if nobody picks him he becomes a FA.

Sylvanfan
04-29-2008, 09:04 PM
Flames have until June 1st to get him signed or else he'll go back in the draft, and if he passes through than he'd be a UFA. I think the same goes for all the 2006 picks unless they played the last season in the NCAA and are committed to going back to school. They may have one more year with any Euro picks....can't remember exactly how that works, if it's 3 years rights on those guys now and they become UFA if they're 22 or older as of July 1st.

Canada 02
04-30-2008, 01:24 PM
nm

Flame4Ever
04-30-2008, 03:27 PM
Has anybody had a chance to watch Carpentier live? Maybe Maritime Q has had the chance to see him a few times this year? If so could we get a quick paragraph about him?

Hunter74
05-12-2008, 01:13 PM
Hanging with Hugo?

Anyone know whats up with Hugo now?

LOL that sounded like some sort of TV show after I wort it.

Cliche
05-12-2008, 01:20 PM
Huskies lost out to Olympiques, so no memorial cup for Hugo. Couldn't contain Giroux I guess.

Reggie Dunlop
05-18-2008, 04:58 PM
Link (http://www.sportsjuniors.com/2008/05/15/gougeon-et-piche-aimeraient-revenir/)

Mind you, my French is not very good, but it sounds like he's talking to the Flames over the next few weeks, and that he is not expected back in Rouyn-Noranda next season.

chris lindberg
05-18-2008, 06:55 PM
Where would he most likely play in Quad City next year, 1st line centre, 2nd line centre?

Go Flames de Calgary!

sinceAtlanta
05-18-2008, 11:26 PM
Link (http://www.sportsjuniors.com/2008/05/15/gougeon-et-piche-aimeraient-revenir/)

Mind you, my French is not very good, but it sounds like he's talking to the Flames over the next few weeks, and that he is not expected back in Rouyn-Noranda next season.

...yep, that's the gist of it... writer doubts Carpentier will be back in Rouyn-Noranda next year, but that it will depend on what will transpire in the next few weeks with the Flames, the NHL club that owns his rights...

...not much else is mentioned.

Reggie Dunlop
05-19-2008, 12:02 AM
Guy sounds like what you'd typically find in the forth round. A little bit of flash, but streaky. Does seem like he's improved his plus/minus though.

If he can become a two-way center that competes with John Armstrong a bit, I suppose he's worth signing. Having more than one prospect of a specific type is always a good thing.

Chanelle132
05-29-2008, 11:34 AM
Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while but I had to come and tell you one big news: It is official, the Flames of Calgary just signed Hugo for a 3 year contract today!!!!!! I don't think it's even on the official website yet, but you know, I'm his cousin and his number one fan, so I had to find out before everybody else! He is sooooooooo happy right now and we're all very proud of him in the family. We're going to throw a big party for sure!

CONGRATULATIONS HUGO!!! :D

FlamesAddiction
05-29-2008, 11:39 AM
Hi guys, I haven't posted in a while but I had to come and tell you one big news: It is official, the Flames of Calgary just signed Hugo for a 3 year contract today!!!!!! I don't think it's even on the official website yet, but you know, I'm his cousin and his number one fan, so I had to find out before everybody else! He is sooooooooo happy right now and we're all very proud of him in the family. We're going to throw a big party for sure!

That is great news. He looked good in the playoffs and seems like a legitimate prospect. I'm glad the Flames are giving him a longer look and decided to invest in him.

Congrats to Hugo and the Carpentier clan.

Tilley
05-29-2008, 11:40 AM
Great news! Sounds like he had a pretty good playoff run with the Huskies. I'm looking forward to seeing what he can do at the pro level.

looooob
05-29-2008, 11:42 AM

great news for your family. felicitation

Canada 02
05-29-2008, 11:51 AM
wow, the way the recent articles portrayed it, sounded like Darryl wasn't going to sign Carpentier. Glad he's in the fold

Flame4Ever
05-29-2008, 12:28 PM

Felicitations et bonne chance. Nous sommes fieres du progres que Hugo a fait cette annee et nous attendons des grandes choses de lui dans les prochaines annees.

Aeneas
05-29-2008, 01:18 PM
wow, the way the recent articles portrayed it, sounded like Darryl wasn't going to sign Carpentier. Glad he's in the fold
Exactly what I thought. When he said, "some guys just dont get signed" I thought it was over.

Congrtats to your family Chanelle. Will watch him at the prospect camp again in July. He definetly showed some serious skills at times there last year.

Freeway
05-29-2008, 01:53 PM
Well, I'm guessing Devin Didiomete doesn't get signed now.

MrMastodonFarm
05-29-2008, 06:30 PM
Good stuff.

SebC
05-29-2008, 06:50 PM
Excellent... I hate wasting prospects.

Reggie Dunlop
05-29-2008, 07:24 PM
Here it is on RDC (http://www.rds.ca/hockey/chroniques/252652.html)

And thanks to Chanelle for the scoop!

Vulcan
05-30-2008, 01:51 AM
Exactly what I thought. When he said, "some guys just dont get signed" I thought it was over.

Yeah Sutter did it to us again. I wonder if he has a good chuckle every time he pulls this off.:)

and congrats Hugo, glad to see one our picks move on up.

Reggie Dunlop
05-30-2008, 09:43 AM
If those numbers ($850,000 per) are correct -- that's first rounder money.

dante48
05-30-2008, 11:12 AM
Glad to see another one signed - although it seems unlikely now, I'm hoping that Didiomete get signed too!

Textcritic
05-30-2008, 01:05 PM
If those numbers ($850,000 per) are correct -- that's first rounder money.

It seems like quite a bit of money for a Major Junior over-ager. Am I alone in thinking this?

Metro Gnome
05-30-2008, 01:07 PM
It seems like quite a bit of money for a Major Junior over-ager. Am I alone in thinking this?

Nope. That number doesn't make any sense to me either.

looooob
05-30-2008, 01:09 PM
the number is probably wrong, if it is right I assume it will only hurt Carpentier in a way. hes likely going to be in the AHL for the next 3 years anyways. if he is in callup battle with a 500K guy it might not help him. if he's a bonafide NHL regular in the next 3 years, then good on him I guess and money well earned

Vulcan
05-30-2008, 10:58 PM

I don't think he's an over-ager, he just turned 20 so he's right on track and isn't RDS sometimes a little sketchy with their reports so I won't believe it's for $850,0o0 till I see it confirmed.

Svartsengi
05-30-2008, 11:39 PM
Even if he is getting $850,000 a year it is only when he makes it onto the Calgary roster. In the minors he will be paid much less. He sounds like a checking line forward so I doubt we will see him until he's completed two full seasons in Quad City.

SebC
05-30-2008, 11:47 PM
Even if he is getting $850,000 a year it is only when he makes it onto the Calgary roster. In the minors he will be paid much less. He sounds like a checking line forward so I doubt we will see him until he's completed two full seasons in Quad City.Not sure I agree with you 'checking line forward' assessment. Carpentier seems more like the type who was drafted for offense and either makes the top six or doesn't make the team at all.

Reggie Dunlop
05-31-2008, 12:28 AM
Even if he is getting $850,000 a year it is only when he makes it onto the Calgary roster. In the minors he will be paid much less.

I'm quite certain everyone realizes that. The eyebrows are raised moreso because of the salary bracket it puts the player in when second contracts are negotiated (qualifying offers and such).

Having said that, Carpentier's scale isn't that much different than Negrin or Armstrong's. Guess kids are getting more expensive!

Reggie Dunlop
05-31-2008, 12:30 AM
Carpentier seems more like the type who was drafted for offense and either makes the top six or doesn't make the team at all.

Optimistically, he's a two-way player down the road.

SebC
05-31-2008, 11:13 AM
Optimistically, he's a two-way player down the road.Well yeah... Sutter likes to beath the offense out of people and turn them into muckers. But I prefer to see this as a changing philosophy. If he really wanted a grinder, he would have just drafted one. ;)

FlamesAddiction
05-31-2008, 11:38 AM
As someone else meantioned, this salary could be detrimental to Carpentier. Due to the cap, if it is close between him and another cheaper player making the team, he would likely be sent down in favour of the cheaper player. I believe this happened a couple of times to Nystrom when he was on his entry level contract.

Reggie Dunlop
05-31-2008, 12:26 PM
Well yeah... Sutter likes to beath the offense out of people and turn them into muckers. But I prefer to see this as a changing philosophy. If he really wanted a grinder, he would have just drafted one. ;)

I can only conclude that you are not familiar with the type of game Carpentier already plays. If you think he's primarily an offensive dynamo simply because he's coming out of the QMJHL, you're sadly mistaken and bound to be disappointed.

"Two-way player" is not synonymous with "grinder" BTW. If he develops into a secondary scorer at the pro level then that's a reasonable return on a fourth round pick. But he's going to have to be defensively responsible.

Chanelle132
06-02-2008, 07:05 AM
OK guys, we're all upset because of that $850 000,00 all the journalists mentioned. They only did that because Hugo refused to reveal to them the exact amount he got. Let's just say that they really exagerated. He will not get that amount, far from it actually.

looooob
06-02-2008, 09:00 AM
well still make sure he buys you something nice!

anyways thanks again for the scoop

Hack&Lube
06-02-2008, 02:41 PM
Even if it isn't 850,000, not many 20 year old kids will get that salary anyway

Reggie Dunlop
06-02-2008, 02:50 PM
Looking on www.nhlscap.com (which appears to be a reasonably reliable source), Irving and Pelech are at $850,000 for 2008-09. I'd peg a fourth rounder like Carpentier in the range of $545,00 - $600,00 give or take. No idea what a signing bonus would be.

Canada 02
06-02-2008, 03:04 PM
interesting to see that JD Watt (a 4th rounder like Carpentier) signed for $530K including a $25K bonus, but 6th round pick Brett Sutter signed for slightly more $536K including a $25K bonus

since the cap has gone up, it would be a reasonable guess to say Hugo got slightly more than these two who were drafted a season earlier

ricosuave
06-02-2008, 09:16 PM
http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=2527051&catLevel=1&scLevel=1&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=4213&catParentID=4523&scId=4523

SebC
06-03-2008, 06:55 PM
OK guys, we're all upset because of that $850 000,00 all the journalists mentioned. They only did that because Hugo refused to reveal to them the exact amount he got. Let's just say that they really exagerated. He will not get that amount, far from it actually.That's actually better for both him and the team. He wouldn't want to be in the Nystrom zone where it's hard to call you up as a rookie because your contract is relatively expensive.

Save Us Sutter
06-04-2008, 04:55 PM
http://www.meigray.com/edealinv/servlet/ExecMacro?nurl=control/StoreItem.vm&ctl_nbr=2381&siId=2527051&catLevel=1&scLevel=1&thisCatLevel=&oldParentID=4213&catParentID=4523&scId=4523

Where do they get all these "game-worn" jerseys?

A lot of those guys haven't even played games. Training Camp? Exhibitions?

And who the heck is Jordan Henry??

EDIT: I see now he was a training camp invite in Sept. 2006. Let's go out on a limb here and guess he played what.... 1 pre-season game? If that. Soooo... rather than keep his NHL jersey as a keepsake, he gives it to MeiGray to sell online for ~200 bucks to whom??? His sister? I don't get it. And they're selling a home AND an away...? I'm confused.

I LOVE TO EDIT: Funny how with a quick google search I can find detailed descriptions of every fight from that pre-season but not a boxscore.

Drunk Skunk
06-05-2008, 10:26 AM
Where do they get all these "game-worn" jerseys?

A lot of those guys haven't even played games. Training Camp? Exhibitions?

And who the heck is Jordan Henry??

EDIT: I see now he was a training camp invite in Sept. 2006. Let's go out on a limb here and guess he played what.... 1 pre-season game? If that. Soooo... rather than keep his NHL jersey as a keepsake, he gives it to MeiGray to sell online for ~200 bucks to whom??? His sister? I don't get it. And they're selling a home AND an away...? I'm confused.

I LOVE TO EDIT: Funny how with a quick google search I can find detailed descriptions of every fight from that pre-season but not a boxscore.
Meigray has a deal set up with many NHL teams(all sets), all ECHL teams(first set), and most AHL teams(first set) to get their game-worns. It's a crock.