PDA

View Full Version : Hawks lands major threat

Pointman
12-12-2004, 03:02 PM
Pending on league approval, Hawks traded Filip Kuba, Martin Rucinsky, Ivan Novoseltsev and 2nd pick in 2006 for Alexei Kovalev and Alexander Karpovtsev.

"I wasn't even thinking about Kovalev, but Islanders GM came with this offer and I coulnd't pass", said Hawks GM. More commentary will follow as deal will go through.

HelloHockeyFans
12-12-2004, 03:31 PM
Another superstar says goodbye (http://www.livejournal.com/users/nyislanderscphl/)

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. - The New York Islanders have shipped Alexei Kovalev and Alexander Karpovtsev to the Chicago Blackhawks for Filip Kuba, Ivan Novoseltsev, Martin Rucinsky and a 2006 2nd Round Pick.

On the heels of a 1-1 tie with the New Jersey Devils and in the midst of a 4 game winless streak, Islanders' GM has made yet another big move shipping superstar Alexei Kovalev to the Chicago Blackhawks.

Alexei Kovalev, spending the majority of the season on the top line centered by Mike Comrie, with Sergei Samsonov on the left side, has been in the coach's dog-house a few times this season, having trouble finding the back of the net registering only 4 goals on the season.

"Yeah, it is a little shocking," the winger from Russia said. "Obviously, I haven't been producing the way I would have liked, but hopefully things turn around for me in Chicago."

With the the additions of Adam Foote and Chris Phillips already, the Islanders will now boast arguably one of the best defensive units in the league with Schneider, Foote, Phillips and now Kuba as their top 4.

"I'm very excited about going to New York," Kuba said in a phone-interview. "I'm going to a playoff team, so that's obviously very exciting."

Coming to the Islanders with Filip Kuba (6 goals, 9 assists) are right-wingers Martin Rucinsky (8G, 5A) and Ivan Novoseltsev (3G, 3A). The Islanders will also receive Chicago's 2006 2nd round pick, who was originally traded to Chicago from San Jose.

Pointman
12-12-2004, 03:54 PM
The 30th team in CPHL, Chicago Blackhawks had improved their firepower by acquiring one of the best yet struggling scoring wingers in the league.

“Hawks are set up for next season, not for this one”, said Hawks GM Pointman. “It was our strict line that Hawks are not giving good prospects for short-term success. And I am pleased that Hawks landed 80 OV guy without giving any long-term assets away. Real Kovalev had 10 points in 11 playoff games last season and he’s also playing great in Russia now. He’s far from done and maybe will lead Hawks playoff hunt next fall. This fall we expect Kovalev to lift us out of the basement. He will play either with rookie of the week Jiri Hudler or another Czech center Jan Bulis.”

When asked about Kovalev’s availability, Pointman responded:

“I never coached a player of Kovalev caliber before. I’d like to see what impact he can make to the team. He is not untouchable, but I’m not any desperate to trade him for at least next month.”

Alexander Karpovtsev, who looked like a throw in in this deal, indeed found himself as the best Hawks defenseman at 70 OV.

Flickered Flame
12-12-2004, 04:28 PM
I like this trade for the Hawks, great work Pointy! :beer:

JiriHrdina
12-12-2004, 04:36 PM
Yeah, Kuba is a very solid player however anytime you get a 80 OVR player and the highest rated player you give up is 73 then its a good deal. It will be even better for the Hawks if Kovalev can regain his form from last season.

Mango
12-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Solid deal!

Pointman
12-12-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Dec 12 2004, 04:36 PM
It will be even better for the Hawks if Kovalev can regain his form from last season.
Yup, just found out, Kovalev was 7th in CPHL in scoring with 106 points last season. He was 84 OV that time though.

Sylvanfan
12-12-2004, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Pointman+Dec 12 2004, 11:46 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Pointman @ Dec 12 2004, 11:46 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-JiriHrdina@Dec 12 2004, 04:36 PM
It will be even better for the Hawks if Kovalev can regain his form from last season.
Yup, just found out, Kovalev was 7th in CPHL in scoring with 106 points last season. He was 84 OV that time though. [/b][/quote]
Kovalev is to forwards what Cechmanek is to goaltenders when comparing this years CPHL to last years. Still Kovalev is the best player in this trade and really isn't that old, and depending if he ends up back in Pittsburgh could rebound in the NHL. Still Kuba is a solid defenceman with a very workable contract for this season and more importantly next. Reports indicate that the Oilers turned down offers from the Island for the highly skilled but enigmatic Russian.

Pointman
12-12-2004, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by Sylvanfan@Dec 12 2004, 05:28 PM
Reports indicate that the Oilers turned down offers from the Island for the highly skilled but enigmatic Russian.
Oilers have quite different situation. Edmonton squad don't have plenty of room to afford Kovalev's contract and on the other hand have quite enough big scorers to be as high as they are. Hawks can easily afford overpaid guys and don't have anyone anywhere near Kovalev's caliber, as the best Hawks forward was Bulis (72 OV).

Sylvanfan
12-12-2004, 06:41 PM
No question that the Hawks are better prepared to take on guys like Kovalev for this season and next from a Cap perspective. Than again, I'm not too dissappointed with my team either. :lol:

Pointman
12-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Sylvanfan@Dec 12 2004, 06:41 PM
No question that the Hawks are better prepared to take on guys like Kovalev for this season and next from a Cap perspective. Than again, I'm not too dissappointed with my team either. :lol:
The point was that if I'd be Oilers GM, I wouldn't go after Kovalev neither. With Hossa and Lecavalier around and the best team in conference, paying 7,6$ for Kovalev would be insane. But with tones of money to spend and the worst team in the league, getting overpaid sniper can be good idea.

Sylvanfan
12-12-2004, 07:15 PM
No worries Pointman, I did the same thing last year when I was running another organization. Biggest difference is that my old Panther team didn't have half the prospect base that the Hawks do by the time the Riser finished with them. :rolleyes:

Pointman
12-12-2004, 07:38 PM
Hawks are no longer looking for depth blueliner as Landon Wilson was traded to Devils for Nicklas Havelid straight up. Back in the day Nicklas Havelid was acquired by Hawks from Stars for Donald Audette and immediatly traded to Devils for Jani Rita.

Flickered Flame
12-12-2004, 07:47 PM
Originally posted by Pointman@Dec 13 2004, 02:38 AM
Hawks are no longer looking for depth blueliner as Landon Wilson was traded to Devils for Nicklas Havelid straight up. Back in the day Nicklas Havelid was acquired by Hawks from Stars for Donald Audette and immediatly traded to Devils for Jani Rita.
The Devils acquire a big winger in hopes to help replace Recchi and Ponikarovksy both of who are out. Recchi is listed as day to day but Ponikarovsky is expected to be out another month at least. Devils GM Walsh believes that the team has some young guys on the farm that are ready to play at the cphl level. Matt Walker has been recalled from Albany.