PDA

View Full Version : TV/CableBox/DVD Recorder Set up question

Mango
02-10-2008, 12:23 PM
I have an LCD TV, Shaw HD cable box, and a combo unit of a VCR/DVD Recorder. I want to set it up so I can record from my Shaw box to my DVD at scheduled times.

I have no idea what I'm doing wrong, but I can't get the channels to show up on my combo unit. I obviously don't have all of the cables right.

I have component cables going from the tv to the cable box. Then I have RCA cables going from the TV to the combo unit. Do I need another set of cables going from the cable box to the combo unit to get the channels to show up on there?

I have no idea if what I've described makes any sense :bag:, but any help would be great :)

4X4
02-10-2008, 12:32 PM
I had a similar problem. It was pretty tough on my ego to discover that I couldn't do something that seemed so basic. I solved it by buying a cable splitter and running a seperate cable to my vcr/dvd player.

Mango
02-10-2008, 12:34 PM
I solved it by buying a cable splitter and running a seperate cable to my vcr/dvd player.

Oh! Well that makes sense! :) I'll have to give that a try and see what happens. Thank you. I thought I was half decent with this stuff too :)

ken0042
02-10-2008, 04:24 PM
Running a cable splitter will only allow you to record analog channels from Shaw. Yes, a lot is there but I'm going to guess you want more.

Mango, which Shaw box do you have? I'm assuming it's HD- is it the HD-PVR?

What I would do is the following:

- Component from the cable box to the TV. (You already have this, but it's important to realize the relationship in order to uderstand it. Nothing goes from your TV to the cable box.)

- S-video from the cable box to the DVD-R.

- S-video or component from the DVD-R to the TV.

At this point you will have to record whatever the cable box is watching. It's been a while since I've used a Shaw box but I'm assuming the have some sort of timers. Then when setting the DVD-R you will have to select "Input 1" as the "channel" to record from.

If you are going to use a cable splitter; and that will work in conjunction with what I've mentioned, please be sure to buy the $10 from Rona/Home Depot that say "Satellite ready" (or something like that) as opposed to the $2 from the dollar store. It'll save you headaches with HD down the road.

Mango
02-10-2008, 06:32 PM
Mango, which Shaw box do you have? I'm assuming it's HD- is it the HD-PVR?
At this point you will have to record whatever the cable box is watching. It's been a while since I've used a Shaw box but I'm assuming the have some sort of timers. Then when setting the DVD-R you will have to select "Input 1" as the "channel" to record from.

I have the HD, but not the PVR model. I won a DVD recorder, so I thought I'd use that for awhile before I jump to a PVR.

I know the Shaw box does have a timer. I understand what you mean. Set the timer on the box, set the timer on the recorder, making sure I have it set for input at line one?

Makes sense!