PDA

View Full Version : Any suggestions on where to get a laptop repaired?

Knut
02-07-2008, 12:33 PM
Other than the big box stores, is there a place in South calgary with a good reputation for computer repair that is not rediculously priced??

photon
02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Laptops are tougher, parts and stuff usually have to come straight from the manufacturer so you'd probably be better off finding the authorized repair depot for the brand. What brand is it?

Knut
02-07-2008, 01:54 PM
Toshiba.... bought through an online company that is affiliated with my college.

one year warranty expired last week, and some idiot poured beer on it... i even had a spillage warranty.

Thanks

Rathji
02-07-2008, 02:14 PM
Memory express

Knut
02-07-2008, 02:29 PM
I was thinking them.... the two times i have been in there i have been very impressed with the service.

photon
02-07-2008, 04:08 PM
That sucks :(

I've worked with laptops as a certified Toshiba tech before, and I would say I would prefer someone with experience with specific models to work on my laptop rather than a generic repair outlet. Getting parts might even be an issue for someone like memory express.

http://209.167.114.38/support//Services/ServiceCenterLocatorNew.asp

There's a couple of repair centres listed there, give em a call to get an idea of the cost. You could even try to see if you can get it done under the warranty, I don't know how flexible Toshiba is but I know I was able to bend the warranty date a few times when I was doing it (corporate clients though, so it might be different). And that was a long time ago.

Bobblehead
02-07-2008, 04:19 PM
Laptop makers love laptops since the parts are fairly proprietary. Where I work, when a screen gets broken it is more expensive to get it fixed than to replace the machine with a new laptop. Same for a few other parts, as well.

photon
02-07-2008, 04:57 PM
Yup, especially with laptop prices the way they are nowadays. If it's just the keyboard that's screwed up and a good cleaning gets it going then it'd be worth it, but if the main logic board is toasted, the repair cost might be a significant percentage of the cost of the laptop.

Knut
02-07-2008, 05:18 PM
If it is going to cost anything significant i will likely just get a new one.... and leave this one with its defective keyboard as the House Pron-top

Luckily the guy that spilled the beer has offered to pay the damages...

photon
02-07-2008, 05:42 PM
Does it actually boot up and the keyboard is just dead? If so then replacing the keyboard is usually a pretty inexpensive repair.

Knut
02-07-2008, 06:00 PM
It boots up, runs just as fast and plays cds / dvds ... i get an error message upon booting about the fast ethernet card not starting up.. but i can still connect to the internet.

the arrow keys, delete key and about 5 letters dont work.... and sometimes the N or J key will lock up leading to a long string of the same letter.

to find calgarypuck i google form.calarypck.cm and it will find it...

jammies
02-07-2008, 06:50 PM
Although I take no responsibility if you screw it up, you can easily replace the keyboard yourself with a minimum of competence. Most Toshiba shops should quote you a new keyboard, you just need to give them the model number (the long one on the bottom of the unit, by the serial number) so they can order the right part.

If you are not at all comfortable working on your own laptop, they should never charge you more than 1 hour labour to replace the keyboard, as it is a relatively simple process. The keyboard itself is rarely more than $80-90 dollars.

You can usually get at the keyboard on a Toshiba by:

- First off, unplug it and take the battery out so there is no power to the main board. Then ground yourself so you won't discharge static electricity into the machine.
- Pry off the plastic cover that sits above the keyboard. Usually you will see a small slot where a thin bladed screwdriver can fit and then pop the cover up a bit, then the entire piece is levered up and out.
- There will be two screws at the top of the keyboard, holding it in place with two small U-shaped metal tabs. Remove these screws and the keyboard should spring free a bit and sit slightly higher in the case.
- The keyboard then swings up and towards you, and will be connected by a short ribbon cable to the rest of the unit. CAREFULLY disengage the bottom tabs from the casing and lift the keyboard out enough to see this cable in order to work on it.
-There will usually be two small plastic tabs that push IN to keep the cable connected to the interface on the mainboard - use a small screwdriver to push those tabs OUT, no more than a few millimetres, being careful not to apply too much force. Then slide the ribbon cable out of the interface, and remove the keyboard entirely.
- Take the new keyboard, carefully insert the ribbon cable exactly as the old one was emplaced, then use the same small screwdriver to push the plastic tabs back in to hold the cable in place.
- The metal tabs on the bottom of the keyboard should fit under the plastic shell, then the whole assembly swings down and away from you, to sit snugly against the unit.
- Put the two small screws back in, thereby holding the keyboard in place.
- The plastic cover goes back in the opposite way you took it out - carefully push it down all along its length until it snaps back into place.
- Done!

photon
02-07-2008, 07:28 PM
Yeah keyboards are usually pretty darn simple.

Rathji
02-07-2008, 07:28 PM
ALternately you could get one of those "roll up portable" keyboards and just plug into USB and set on top of your old keyboard or on desk depending on where you use it.

Knut
02-07-2008, 07:44 PM
Thanks Jammies....

I think i am still going to get it fixed at a shop.... i have this amazing tendency to break something else when i fix something.

Plus.... i wont be paying for the repairs, so i might as well get it done right.