PDA

View Full Version : This is the real Guitar Hero!

arsenal
02-07-2008, 10:43 AM
http://gizmodo.com/352800/guitar-rising-for-real-guitar-heroes

That's why I love the idea of Guitar Rising, which can use any real electric guitar, from a Fender Telecaster to a Gibson Les Paul. The software teaches you how to play actual songs, tracking your accuracy much like Guitar Hero would do, as their demo video shows.

And a link to the site.
http://www.guitarrising.com/

CaptainCrunch
02-07-2008, 10:46 AM
Thats why I laugh at anyone who asks me if I play guitar hero.

I chuckle and inform them that I can actually play a real guitar.

fredr123
02-07-2008, 10:50 AM

http://www.basicinstructions.net/images/148vidgames.gif

MarchHare
02-07-2008, 10:52 AM

You're completely missing the point then.

I've been playing real guitar for 16 years and own over $5000 worth of instruments and accessories, but I still really enjoying playing Guitar Hero. GH (and Rock Band too) aren't a substitute for playing real instruments, and I don't think anyone would confuse someone who's really good at those games as being a talented musician, but that doesn't stop them from being ridiculously fun to play, though, especially with a group of drunk friends.

fredr123
02-07-2008, 10:55 AM
fredr123: Hey Captain, do you play Halo?

CaptainCrunch: No, I actually kill real people.

^ Except, if you go by an emerging pattern in most of his posts, that might not be far from the truth.

I kid, I kid. Please don't hurt me.

CaptainCrunch
02-07-2008, 11:49 AM
As long as you live by the hunters creed that you eat what you kill, most people are safe.

RougeUnderoos
02-07-2008, 11:54 AM
The funny thing about this is that you just know there is a group of self-professed "Keepers Of The Real Guitar" who will poo-poo this thing too.

"You learned to play your guitar on the computer? Dude, that's so lame. Real guitarists sit alone in their room practicing all day, and you aren't a real guitarist if you haven't sat around a campfire and bored your friends to tears playing the first chords to "No Woman No Cry" over and over and over".

CaptainCrunch
02-07-2008, 11:57 AM
The funny thing about this is that you just know there is a group of self-professed "Keepers Of The Real Guitar" who will poo-poo this thing too.

"You learned to play your guitar on the computer? Dude, that's so lame. Real guitarists sit alone in their room practicing all day, and you aren't a real guitarist if you haven't sat around a campfire and bored your friends to tears playing the first chords to "No Woman No Cry" over and over and over".

Thats actually pretty funny.

I just find it lame that there are actually competitions for Rock Band and Guitar hero.

RougeUnderoos
02-07-2008, 11:58 AM
Thats actually pretty funny.

I just find it lame that there are actually competitions for Rock Band and Guitar hero.

I find that lame too. Of course I find all video game competitions lame.

Igottago
02-07-2008, 12:09 PM
This seems like a great idea...great for learning some of those tough leads that I just can't nail down. I have nothing against guitar hero, its fun as hell...but as a guitarist, this would be a really nice learning tool.

SarichFan
02-07-2008, 01:11 PM
So is this like the "Let's bash Guitar Hero" thread of the week??

Bah,

Anyways, this looks like a great tool to learn to play guitar for sure.

Traditional_Ale
02-07-2008, 01:15 PM
Good.

Too bad it won't sell because all the guitar hero players will realize its actual "work" and god forbid they might look stupid.

Real fun is had performing well in front of an audience. I've said it before, and say it again:

Xbox doesn't care if you suck.

RougeUnderoos
02-07-2008, 01:27 PM
Good.

Real fun is had performing well in front of an audience. I've said it before, and say it again:

Do you understand that concept of "video games"?

fredr123
02-07-2008, 01:27 PM

Nintendo is another story. I've been irreparably scarred by that stupid dog on Duck Hunt and his insensitive laughing at my expense.

Traditional_Ale
02-07-2008, 01:45 PM
Nintendo is another story. I've been irreparably scarred by that stupid dog on Duck Hunt and his insensitive laughing at my expense.

:#1:

Traditional_Ale
02-07-2008, 01:53 PM
Do you understand that concept of "video games"?

Spending countless hours saving the universe from alien overlords, gm'ing a team to the stanley cup, or going around killing everyone you see and stealing their cars is one thing because these are things that one will never do in reality. Its a fantasy, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Moreover, I know plenty of young people who went on to become combat pilots, elite soldiers, and astronauts because of video games played in their youth.

I guess I'm speaking more to people's values than a video game.

Spending countless hours doing something that one could be doing in reality is simply wrong and selfish. Its not just guitar hero. Tony Hawk games come to mind, as well as obviously DDR. I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them.

When the total time spent playing a simulation could have been spent becoming an accomplished player for real, there is a problem.

Torture
02-07-2008, 02:23 PM
That looks awesome!

Igottago
02-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Spending countless hours saving the universe from alien overlords, gm'ing a team to the stanley cup, or going around killing everyone you see and stealing their cars is one thing because these are things that one will never do in reality. Its a fantasy, and there is nothing wrong with that.

Moreover, I know plenty of young people who went on to become combat pilots, elite soldiers, and astronauts because of video games played in their youth.

I guess I'm speaking more to people's values than a video game.

Spending countless hours doing something that one could be doing in reality is simply wrong and selfish. Its not just guitar hero. Tony Hawk games come to mind, as well as obviously DDR. I'm sure there are more, but I can't think of them.

When the total time spent playing a simulation could have been spent becoming an accomplished player for real, there is a problem.

I thnk you're taking it a bit too seriously. I play guitar...and I've played guitar hero...guitar hero is a lot of fun, plain and simple. Get a large group of your friends in a room with that stupid 4 button guitar, play the game, and you can't tell me it isn't a good time. On the other hand, get all the same people in the room with real guitars, and you'll get a whole lot of ty noise because no one knows what they're doing.

Being a musician is hard..not everyone can or wants to do it. Guitar Hero is a game, anyone can play. Its fun. They are two completely different things.

SarichFan
02-07-2008, 02:27 PM
Traditional.. just give it a rest already. Your opinion is clear and it doesn't sound like any ammount of discussion will sway you, so quit bringing it up in nearly every video game related thread there is.

Video games are a form of Recreation... No more, no less.

By your logic, people should paint landscapes instead of taking photographs...

Agamemnon
02-07-2008, 02:30 PM
I find it really wierd that people here have such a hate-on for Guitar Hero.

When you see someone playing Aces Over Europe do you ridicule them? "Get a real fighter plane, loser!"

Sometimes video games are just meant to be fun for those who play... you don't play? No need to hate, feel free to go somewhere you're appreciated!

SarichFan
02-07-2008, 02:38 PM
He could go sit in a corner with his Traditional Ale and stare at the wall, hey if he enjoyed it.. what do I care?

I'm still not sure why some people crap on things that other people find enjoyment in, it doesn't affect you at all.

MarchHare
02-07-2008, 02:47 PM

That's a really stupid thing to say.

Learning to play real guitar takes hundreds -- if not thousands -- of hours of practice while it takes nowhere near that long to master Guitar Hero and 5-star Freebird on Expert.

Additionally, the financial cost of playing Guitar Hero is about $100 (assuming you already bought the console itself to play other games). Buying a guitar and amp, even a relatively cheap combo, will easily run you $500 or more, and if you get serious about it, you can end up spending several thousands of dollars on your instrument (I should know -- I dropped $2500 on a Les Paul last year, and it wasn't even close to being the most expensive axe in the store). And then there's the price of lessons; most decent guitar teachers will charge you $25-50 per week, which can really add up over time.

Finally, Guitar Hero can develop skills that translate to learning how to play a real guitar, if one is so inclined. For example, it will quickly develop the strength of your fretting fingers (pinky especially, which is the weakest for most people) and will also teach rythm and strumming technique.

I'm a licensed pilot, but I've spent way more time playing Microsoft Flight Simulator than I have flying real planes. Was that a waste of my time as well? Would it have been a better use of my time if I had just gone to the flying club and rented a Cessna for $125/hour instead?

arsenal
02-07-2008, 02:49 PM
I personally have nothing against GH, or RB, and I would enjoy playing them. I just thought this was really cool. GH makes you want to play guitar, and this will actually teach you how.

Now they just have to build the same gameplay as found in GH, and it would be just as much fun I think.

SarichFan
02-07-2008, 02:52 PM
Yeah I don't think any backlash to GH/Video game haters is pointed at you arsenal, it's a good thread and that game looks pretty interesting.

PsYcNeT
02-07-2008, 03:54 PM
As a 12-years experience bassist, I think GH works more towards a bassists mentality, what with the mostly singular fretting on an oversized fretboard.

burnin_vernon
02-07-2008, 04:11 PM
Why does every thread on this topic get hijacked by some righteous, my-crap-smells-better-than-yours-because-I-play-REAL-guitar killjoy? Thanks for telling us how to be more ambitious and how we should spend our time...MOM!

Anyways, this program looks very interesting. However, I've never played guitar before and was always more interested in acoustic than electric. I've heard if you learn on electric, you won't be "tough" enough to try acoustic.

Rhetts_the_Best
02-07-2008, 04:30 PM
http://gizmodo.com/352800/guitar-rising-for-real-guitar-heroes

And a link to the site.
http://www.guitarrising.com/

I think thats pretty cool, but i would rather just learn the song, and than play it with a jam band. There is no improvisation in this game!

And when im playing guitar i am always about improvisation.

The Fonz
02-07-2008, 05:06 PM

But that's really no different than the competitions they have for, lets say, NHL 08, or Halo 3. The winners of these don't truly believe they are NHL All-Stars, or futuristic killing machines. The Guitar Hero competitions aren't any different...

...unless the winner walks away expecting a record deal. Then I would agree, that's lame.

RougeUnderoos
02-07-2008, 05:13 PM
Spending countless hours doing something that one could be doing in reality is simply wrong and selfish.

Selfish? What exactly is selfish about sitting around with your friends drinking beer and clacking a few buttons in time to "Slow Ride"?

What exactly is self-less or giving about learning how to play that song on a real guitar?

Antithesis
02-07-2008, 05:24 PM
What exactly is self-less or giving about learning how to play that song on a real guitar?

Because, Rouge, if you actually learn REAL Guitar you're able to share beautiful talent with the rest of the world man, now only if you could get a scout from a label to come check you out, you'd have your break, oh no wait man, that'd be selling out and being selfish. Dude. Selling out is selfish too. Know what I mean, bro?

By the way, back to GH .. I played enough last night to get "The Claw". When does it go away?

burnin_vernon
02-07-2008, 05:55 PM
By the way, back to GH .. I played enough last night to get "The Claw". When does it go away?

There are more shameful ways to get the claw. Just ask Ray McKigney, hand model.

Dan02
02-07-2008, 08:48 PM

Dammit with all the time i've spent playing civ 1-4 i could be a real general by now!!!

Dope-AS-Fack
02-07-2008, 09:39 PM
I dont get why GH is so loved, Ill admit I play real guitar and kinda laugh when I here "ya I can play that on guitar hero" but seriously I dont find it fun.

Ive played maybe 2 songs and I just cant get into it.

atleast its worth a laugh hearing people talk about how there so pro at pressing 5 buttons and flicking a lil flicker thing

SarichFan
02-08-2008, 12:31 AM
I dont get why GH is so loved, Ill admit I play real guitar and kinda laugh when I here "ya I can play that on guitar hero" but seriously I dont find it fun.

atleast its worth a laugh hearing people talk about how there so pro at pressing 5 buttons and flicking a lil flicker thing

Wow, you're a straight up gangster..

You don't actually take anyone seriously when they say they can play anything on Guitar Hero as if it's a real instrument do you??

Maybe it's tool's like the guy you know giving us regular gamers a bad name.. I don't think I can play anything when I play a song, but I enjoy playing to the rythym of songs, which is all you're really doing, and it can be a pretty good challenge.

I don't think I can walk away from Guitar Hero and play the actual song on a Guitar..

Hack&Lube
02-08-2008, 02:43 AM
I play guitar hero with a pick, that's the only way I can pick fast enough on that damn plasticky piece of soap thing they call a strum bar.

It's pretty fun but only with friends as a party game, the problem is the songs are a little too long. Playing it by yourself is somewhat depressing as I agree with traditional, you could be better spending your time honing genuine skills.

Rhettzky
02-08-2008, 07:57 AM

Pffft... you've obviously never mastered whammying on the whammie bar thingy. Tourist.

Russic
02-08-2008, 10:36 AM
The concept of video games for some reason seems to fly right over a lot of peoples heads. Why play guitar hero when you could spend thousands of dollars and countless hours learning to play guitar to the point that you sell out Madison Square Garden? Why read a John Grisham novel when you could go to school for 10 years, become a lawyer and have your own adventures?

It's entertainment . . . nothing more. I get 45 minutes of time to myself in the evenings where I don't have to worry about work or my family. I want to sit down and simply be entertained. I don't have the time nor the desire to sit down and practice the guitar to the point that I can pound out Metallica whenever I want.

Dope-AS-Fack
02-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Wow, you're a straight up gangster..

You don't actually take anyone seriously when they say they can play anything on Guitar Hero as if it's a real instrument do you??

Maybe it's tool's like the guy you know giving us regular gamers a bad name.. I don't think I can play anything when I play a song, but I enjoy playing to the rythym of songs, which is all you're really doing, and it can be a pretty good challenge.

I don't think I can walk away from Guitar Hero and play the actual song on a Guitar..

O sorry, i dont relize this touched your heart so much

Its a game that I dont find fun

Only thing im trying to say

"Maybe it's tool's like the guy you know giving us regular gamers a bad name."

Sorry if I gave you a bad name, I dint know "gamers" where getting hated on

Take a pill and go play with your little fake guitar

Maybe youll feel better

Dan02
02-10-2008, 05:20 PM
And when im playing guitar i am always about improvisation.

Fun thats what i call it whenever i screw up.