PDA

View Full Version : iPod Question(s)

icarus
01-31-2008, 04:26 AM
My iPod Touch has been annoyingly stopping music and exiting out of the album display screen to the main menu, so I thought I would download the latest update to hopefully resolve the bug.

After taking forever to download the 180MB version 1.1.3 upgrade, iTunes tells me there has been an error loading the upgrade.

Now the iPod doesn't work at all.

When I reset the iPod the furthest I get is the screen telling me to plug the connecting cable in, whether I plug it in or not.

Brutal. What to do?

Rathji
01-31-2008, 06:39 AM
check apples site / support forums, if this is a software problem there will be other people with the same problem and they *might* have a solution. If it is hardware, probably gonna have to take it in for warranty work.

icarus
01-31-2008, 06:44 AM
Looks like I am not the only one.

http://www.ilounge.com/index.php/news/comments/12889/

This is why I hate downloading updates.

TurnedTheCorner
01-31-2008, 07:52 AM
Is this why iTunes keeps getting updated? Damn Touch. Leave my 5G Video alone! :boo:

llama64
01-31-2008, 08:05 AM
180mb update for a device? Good lord! I think the total system footprint on my 3gen iPod is maybe 2mb.

Thankfully Apple assumes we all have high-bandwidth internet connections...

Rathji
01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
From reading the comments on that post, seems the best way to get the update to install is to reinstall itunes and then update. Some suggest an older version of itunes ( which doesnt make sense) but if you want to try one you can probably get the version you are looking for at Old Version Downloads - OldApps.com
(http://oldapps.com/)

Flaming Choy
01-31-2008, 09:13 AM
You could try to force it into recovery mode (hold home + power, when the apple logo appears, release power but continue to hold home) and plug it into your computer. Itunes will open up, click on restore and pray.

photon
01-31-2008, 10:14 AM
180mb update for a device? Good lord! I think the total system footprint on my 3gen iPod is maybe 2mb.

Thankfully Apple assumes we all have high-bandwidth internet connections...

That update includes the iPhone stuff as well, and rumour has it that it includes everything for the pending iPhone / touch SDK release, so that might be why it was so huge.

kermitology
01-31-2008, 11:11 AM
iTunes 7.6 broke my iPhone.. I hate you Apple.

llama64
01-31-2008, 11:14 AM
That update includes the iPhone stuff as well, and rumour has it that it includes everything for the pending iPhone / touch SDK release, so that might be why it was so huge.

Yeah, I was just being curmudgeonly. 640k is enough for anyone.

Pagal4321
01-31-2008, 11:17 AM
I have been canceling those damn auto upgrades to iTunes and my iPod for this exact reason.
*#&%ing Apple.

Tron_fdc
02-01-2008, 02:28 PM
Fellas,

The other day my g/f purchased a bunch of songs from itunes, but bought them using my laptop which is synced to my ipod. Right noe we're about 2000 miles from her laptop with her library on it, but she needs these songs for a yoga course. Is there any way I can get the recently purchased songs out of my library and on to her ipod without having to erase all her music and syncing it to my library?

thks

llama64
02-01-2008, 03:39 PM
Fellas,

The other day my g/f purchased a bunch of songs from itunes, but bought them using my laptop which is synced to my ipod. Right noe we're about 2000 miles from her laptop with her library on it, but she needs these songs for a yoga course. Is there any way I can get the recently purchased songs out of my library and on to her ipod without having to erase all her music and syncing it to my library?

thks

Unfortunately, no I don't think it's possible. Her iPod is mated directly to her computer/iTunes library. In order to add music to the iPod, it has to be done using her computer.

If the music bought was of the unprotected variety in the iTunes Plus store, then you could possible do the following:
- use Sharepod to extract all music on her iPod onto your computer.
- add the purchased music to the extracted music
- use another program to load up her iPod with music (WinAmp maybe?).

Unfortunately this plan means her iPod gets reformatted the next time she plugs it back into her computer...

This is a drawback to going the iPod route.

LeftWing
02-01-2008, 03:51 PM
This is a drawback to going the iPod route.

Actually it's a drawback of going the iTunes route. Many iPod fans happily manage their devices and transfer/purchase music without the constant headaches and bloat associated with iTunes.

@theCBE
02-01-2008, 04:26 PM
Anyone have an alternative program that works well instead of itunes? specifically with the touch. I used to use a winamp plugin with my 4g years ago.. and with my shuffle using itunes was fine. But now that I have the touch and am constantly changing whats loaded on there I hate itunes with a passion all over again. I have heard yammipod is good .. but I'm not to sure how well it works with the touch.

FanIn80
02-01-2008, 04:30 PM
I hacked my iTouch. I don't even use it for playing music anymore, it's now a little tiny iMac that i carry around with me.

:D

LeftWing
02-01-2008, 04:31 PM
Anyone have an alternative program that works well instead of itunes? specifically with the touch. I used to use a winamp plugin with my 4g years ago.. and with my shuffle using itunes was fine. But now that I have the touch and am constantly changing whats loaded on there I hate itunes with a passion all over again. I have heard yammipod is good .. but I'm not to sure how well it works with the touch.

I looked into it a bit and found an app that will allow you to transfer files between the touch and a PC, but nothing that will allow you to update the song database... yet.

Rathji
02-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Fellas,

thks

Just drag and drop them onto ANY Ipod using itunes. If you dont want to sync all her stuff off her ipod first, just turn OFF autosyncing.

I am amazed the anti itunes faction still uses the myth and people still believe it.

You need to figure out how to use software before you can go about claiming it wont do the things you want it to.

LeftWing
02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
You need to figure out how to use software before you can go about claiming it wont do the things you want it to.

You figure that the large anti-iTunes faction is basically a bunch of people that can't figure out how to use it? Interesting.

Just drag and drop them onto ANY Ipod using itunes. If you dont want to sync all her stuff off her ipod first, just turn OFF autosyncing.

I believe that Tron's having is with the problem is not with multiple iPods (not sure what the reference to 'ANY iPod' meant), it's with the iTunes library that only exists on a machine that they don't have access to (it's 2000 miles away). Maybe it's just me not knowing how to use the software, but if you use your iPod on ANY other machine then the one you typically use to sync with, then iTunes' *default* functionality asks you to erase all of your iPod's contents before sync'ing any new content.

I'm not sure why it's preferable for iTunes to only sync using one machine instead of any machine you happen to want to use, but it's likely my lack of understanding that's clouding my judgment.

Rathji
02-01-2008, 06:07 PM
You figure that the large anti-iTunes faction is basically a bunch of people that can't figure out how to use it? Interesting.

Well at least 2 times in 2 threads people have claimed that the software couldnt do things and it sucked because of it, when it could actually do the things they wanted it to, however they obviously hadn't figured out how

I believe that Tron's having is with the problem is not with multiple iPods (not sure what the reference to 'ANY iPod' meant), it's with the iTunes library that only exists on a machine that they don't have access to (it's 2000 miles away).If his problem was the fact that he did not have any of the music files to put on the ipod unless he went back home, then I was mistaken and of course what I suggest isnt possible. I was refering to the fact that no matter who's ipod it is, if you plug it into a computer with itunes you can use itunes to transfer music to it. It doesnt have to be one unique ipod/itunes set. I can use my ipod with my sister in laws computer ( and library) and she can use her ipod with my computer ( and my music library)

Maybe it's just me not knowing how to use the software, but if you use your iPod on ANY other machine then the one you typically use to sync with, then iTunes' *default* functionality asks you to erase all of your iPod's contents before sync'ing any new content.
Yes default is to autosync, but you can click disable autosync in the preferences menu. The claim made by another poster in the thread was that it wasn't possible.

I didn't mean to ruffle any feathers, and had i not been as rushed I could have made a more informative post, since in retrospect it did seem kinda rude and unclear.

Flaming Choy
02-01-2008, 09:26 PM
I hacked my iTouch. I don't even use it for playing music anymore, it's now a little tiny iMac that i carry around with me.

:D

did u put on 1.1.3? Fake GPS/giggling icons can amuse me for hours.

icarus
02-01-2008, 09:27 PM
My problem has been resolved. I took the Touch in to an authorised Apple service provider and all the guy had to do was plug it into his computer and it got out of recovery mode.

Unfortunately since it was restored all of my music was lost, which included $100+ worth of iTunes downloads which are all on my desktop in Calgary on the other side of the world. I have to wait half a year before I will have the chance to go back and reload all that stuff.

:DSweet, how do I do that?

Rathji
02-01-2008, 10:53 PM
Unfortunately since it was restored all of my music was lost, which included $100+ worth of iTunes downloads which are all on my desktop in Calgary on the other side of the world. I have to wait half a year before I will have the chance to go back and reload all that stuff.

Why not get the files sent to you? All you need to do is get a computer with itunes and authorize your apple account on it and you can load them onto your ipod again. Just remember to de-authorize, or you will lose one of the 5 computers you can have the stuff on.

icarus
02-02-2008, 12:37 AM
Why not get the files sent to you? All you need to do is get a computer with itunes and authorize your apple account on it and you can load them onto your ipod again. Just remember to de-authorize, or you will lose one of the 5 computers you can have the stuff on.Wait--so how does this work? Can I download them from iTunes again to my laptop without having to pay again?

Rathji
02-02-2008, 07:00 AM
No, you would need to get them sent to you from your original computer via email, ftp, MSN file transfer, copy to CD and put in mail, etc. You can then authorize whatever computer you have to play them, and load them onto your ipod

icarus
02-02-2008, 07:05 AM
Ah, unfortunately there is no one on the other end deft enough to accomplish such feats.

icarus
02-02-2008, 07:33 AM
Um, I just discovered I can no longer drag and drop music from iTunes onto my iPod anymore... Help me Rathji!

Rathji
02-02-2008, 08:54 AM
I am in a rush, slept in and have an appt in 30 mins, but I assume you are trying to drag from your itunes music library onto your ipod when it is listed as a device in itunes? Have you been able to do it before and suddenly can't? Might be something to do with the newest update, I haven't had to do anything with my ipod in the last couple weeks so I imagine apple could have changed something in the update I just downloaded

Tron_fdc
02-02-2008, 11:31 AM
OK, I turned off autosyncing, but it still won't let me drag and drop from the "purchased" folder in itunes to her ipod.

Plan B is to burn a CD from itunes, but I'm wondering what format it will burn to?? I noticed that itunes converts your music to mp4, and I don't believe your average CD player can play that format.

Anyone have any recommendations? Can I burn a CD in itunes (I noticed there is a feature there to burn CD's) but make sure it will play in a cheap costa rican ghetto blaster?

Rathji
02-02-2008, 02:43 PM
You can burn a cd from itunes, and it will play in any CD player that will play burned CD's. Some brand name CD players will not play burned CD's since the companies who make them have a stake in the recording industry. I have not come across one in a few years though.

edit: If I get a few mins and I can find my sister-in-law's ipod I will test transferring with the latest update.

Tron_fdc
02-02-2008, 03:02 PM
Just figured it out I think. I set the output in the edit-pref-advanced-burning to "audio CD". Seems to work.

At least let's hope it does!!

Flaming Choy
02-02-2008, 04:47 PM
Sweet, how do I do that?

got to downgrade your ipod to 1.1.1, go to jailbreakme.com on the ipod to get a jailbroken 1.1.1 ipod. using the new installer program on your ipod, install BSD systems then go to ijailbreak.com and follow the instructions there to get a jailbroken 1.1.3. Then just use the installer to add whatever 3rd party apps that you want.

icarus
02-21-2008, 08:11 AM
Latest problem with my iPod Touch:

When I drag-and-drop audio podcasts from iTunes to my Touch they don't show up under the 'Podcasts' heading. They don't show up anywhere in fact. Video podcasts do show up however, under 'Video' as you would expect.

I can get my audio podcasts to show up if I drag them into the playlist. But it is annoying that they don't show up under 'Podcasts', and that when I select 'Podcasts' it tells me I don't have any. Lies!

An interesting note is that they used to show up under 'Podcasts' until I downloaded 1.1.3 which buggered up my iPod (see above) and I had to take it into Apple Man to fix. Since then, my podcasts aren't showing up under 'Podcasts'. At least I can get them to play, but it bugs me when things don't work the way they should, especially when they used to.

Bend it like Bourgeois
02-22-2008, 02:20 PM
I'm considering an iTouch for the wife. All she ever uses the computer for is email/maps and surfing. We have a wireless network at home anyway for my laptop.

Perhaps an itouch would be handier for her than trudging to the office in our basement with kiddies in tow.

2 questions-
1) does it need to sync, or can she can she put music and our digital photos on it direct from the 'net and our digital camera
2) if so, where the best place to buy one?

thanks

Flaming Choy
02-22-2008, 04:20 PM
I'm considering an iTouch for the wife. All she ever uses the computer for is email/maps and surfing. We have a wireless network at home anyway for my laptop.

Perhaps an itouch would be handier for her than trudging to the office in our basement with kiddies in tow.

2 questions-
1) does it need to sync, or can she can she put music and our digital photos on it direct from the 'net and our digital camera

thanks

If you jailbreak your ipod, you can wireless sync using isync (i think it's only osx based) and it on;y syncs music.

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/software/sync-your-iphone-ipod-touch-over-wi+fi-329272.php

Would still need a computer somewhere to do all the organizing and stuff.

Screen is also fairly small, so i think sticking to a laptop might be more ideal.

If your still interested in picking one up, i think apple's refurbished store has some of the lower capacity ones for cheaper.

Rathji
02-22-2008, 09:46 PM
ASUS | Eee PC (http://eeepc.asus.com/global/)

Cheap laptop that runs about 400 bucks, pretty small and is powerful enough to do most non gaming applications.

algernon
02-24-2008, 11:10 AM
Help! I'm headin' on vacation in about 7 hours, and my iPod is 'frozen' It is staying lit up, and none of the buttons seem to do anything at all. I sent an e-mail to help@apple, but i'm betting that CP is faster...
thanks,
alg

EDIT: it's a brand new 160gb classic

bobrick
02-24-2008, 11:14 AM
Help! I'm headin' on vacation in about 7 hours, and my iPod is 'frozen' It is staying lit up, and none of the buttons seem to do anything at all. I sent an e-mail to help@apple, but i'm betting that CP is faster...
thanks,
alg

EDIT: it's a brand new 160gb classic

Have you tried to reset, instructions here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705

algernon
02-24-2008, 11:29 AM
Have you tried to reset, instructions here:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=61705
You sir, are truly my Hero. Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.Thank You.
alg

Oh yeah, CP is waaaaaaay faster.

Rathji
02-27-2008, 07:23 PM
You can have your songs you buy from itunes on 5 computers, burnt to cd 7 times ( I think) and on unlimited ipods.

Barnes
02-27-2008, 08:20 PM
Here are some useful apps.

http://www.floola.com/modules/wiwimod/

http://hymn-project.org/

phaneuf_train
02-28-2008, 12:45 AM
Anyone have any ideas why my computer won't recognize my iPod usb cord anymore? It just randomly stopped working.:mad:

I-Hate-Hulse
02-28-2008, 04:20 PM
Also, how are youse guys liking the iTouch? I am thinking of getting one.

My thoughts after a few weeks:

- If all you want is music on an iPod, don't bother with the Touch. Video and the wifi is what the Touch is about. You can get way more music on a Classic iPod.
- That said, the larger screen is great for videos. My Office episodes sized for the old screens show decently on the Touch one.

- Some of the intutiveness of the Apple click wheel on the iPods is lost in Multitouch. Not that it's terrible, but a few things have sent me to the manual - never did that with my old iPod.

- I suggest that Fanboi devotion to Apple as a different "company" that cares is misplaced. $20 for a firmware upgrade to 1.1.3? Also, be warned - your old video out cables that worked through the headphone port don't work anymore. An OEM cable with a chip inside is now required, so no more cheapie 3rd party cables - OEM cable is $60.

- HMV has a silicone case for $9.99 - don't pay Futureshops $30 / $40 prices.

- Web browsing is pretty good for a mobile device. Far better than Opera on my BB, but it's more a function of the screen size more than anything.

- the Touch keyboard, while functional, isn't somehthing I'd like to use for anything long. Typing 8 word replies is one thing, but long emails is something my BB beats it hands down. My biggest problem - errant fingers - imagine typing on your keyboard but you had to hover your fingers or else errant keystrokes happen at the slightest contact.

Should be a good travel device, unless someone decides to steal it. Overall I'm happy with it, but consider if you really need the video aspects of it before you get one.

Barnes
02-28-2008, 07:15 PM
My thoughts after a few weeks:

- If all you want is music on an iPod, don't bother with the Touch. Video and the wifi is what the Touch is about. You can get way more music on a Classic iPod.
- That said, the larger screen is great for videos. My Office episodes sized for the old screens show decently on the Touch one.

- Some of the intutiveness of the Apple click wheel on the iPods is lost in Multitouch. Not that it's terrible, but a few things have sent me to the manual - never did that with my old iPod.

- I suggest that Fanboi devotion to Apple as a different "company" that cares is misplaced. $20 for a firmware upgrade to 1.1.3? Also, be warned - your old video out cables that worked through the headphone port don't work anymore. An OEM cable with a chip inside is now required, so no more cheapie 3rd party cables - OEM cable is $60.

- HMV has a silicone case for $9.99 - don't pay Futureshops $30 / $40 prices.

- Web browsing is pretty good for a mobile device. Far better than Opera on my BB, but it's more a function of the screen size more than anything.

- the Touch keyboard, while functional, isn't somehthing I'd like to use for anything long. Typing 8 word replies is one thing, but long emails is something my BB beats it hands down. My biggest problem - errant fingers - imagine typing on your keyboard but you had to hover your fingers or else errant keystrokes happen at the slightest contact.

Should be a good travel device, unless someone decides to steal it. Overall I'm happy with it, but consider if you really need the video aspects of it before you get one.

Good review. Just wanted to mention something re charging for the firmware. It could be because of the Sarbanes-Oxley act. Apple has had to charge for firmware updates that added functionality to products in the past. Bizzare I know but the act is total BS. It most definitely is a test drive to charge for and download applications created for the touch and the iPhone once developers get a hold of the SDK.

I-Hate-Hulse
02-28-2008, 11:15 PM
Good review. Just wanted to mention something re charging for the firmware. It could be because of the Sarbanes-Oxley act. Apple has had to charge for firmware updates that added functionality to products in the past. Bizzare I know but the act is total BS. It most definitely is a test drive to charge for and download applications created for the touch and the iPhone once developers get a hold of the SDK.

Apple went through this fiasco in 06/07 with the 802.11n enabling didn't they? They caved from the original fee and chopped it to $2 which still satisfied US GAAP.

Good info here, where a former Chief Accountant of the SEC sets the record straight: http://www.reghardware.co.uk/2007/01/23/apple_gaap_update_confusion/

Apple chose not to learn from that lesson and charge us a nominal $1 fee. - they decided to stiff it to us at $20. s. Maybe they can start shipping products at 100% and not crippled ones....

To clarify, as someone who has dealt with Sarbanes-Oxley for 3 years, the Act itself has nothing to do with this. The Act tries to enforces and ensure US GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) is followed, and other rules like Board Composition and rules of governance. Conrad Black was a very vocal opponent of Sarbanes and may be a poster child for the existence of this Act....

I-Hate-Hulse
02-28-2008, 11:28 PM
2 questions-

If she wants to put pics on the Touch, she'll have to do it via iTunes via a computer and a wired USB cord. Unless she hacks it, which sounds unlikely. Keep in mind that you can't put that many on a 16GB iPod.

She can download new songs from iTunes's website via wireless though. The Touch has no memory slots to stick a card in.

I got mine at Futureshop for $357. The Apple website was listing it at $419 or something inexplicably high?

From what you're describing as your needs, you may want to consider a cheap $500 laptop, though the Touch sounds like it may meet your needs too.

lambeburger
02-29-2008, 12:09 AM
I have a question for you guys:

I recently re-formatted my computer, but kept all my music, files, etc, on an external hard drive. I re-installed iTunes and added all my music to the iTunes library, plugged in my iPod. Now it says that I can't sync because my iPod is synced with another library. Naturally, I disabled syncing, so now I just click and drag the new music I add.

Basically what I'm asking is if I can get my iTunes library to recognize the play count/date added/last played/etc info from the songs on my iPod.

Barnes
02-29-2008, 09:56 AM
I have a question for you guys:

I recently re-formatted my computer, but kept all my music, files, etc, on an external hard drive. I re-installed iTunes and added all my music to the iTunes library, plugged in my iPod. Now it says that I can't sync because my iPod is synced with another library. Naturally, I disabled syncing, so now I just click and drag the new music I add.

Basically what I'm asking is if I can get my iTunes library to recognize the play count/date added/last played/etc info from the songs on my iPod.

When you backed up your songs did you back up the library? That info is stored in xml files inside the library folder. If you have that you could restore the metadata.

I-Hate-Hulse
02-29-2008, 01:44 PM
Best Buy has the V1 Touch for $299 right now.... You'll still save $50 after you fork out $20 for the new apps.

lambeburger
02-29-2008, 05:30 PM
When you backed up your songs did you back up the library? That info is stored in xml files inside the library folder. If you have that you could restore the metadata.

Yeah when I backed up my files, I think I copied the wrong xml file because it only showed a fraction of my songs. Am I hooped now?

burn_this_city
03-02-2008, 05:03 PM
I just got the V2 32GB touch today.. It works great, the wifi is amazing.. I got the 1.1.4 software upgrade and I didnt have to pay for it.. One thing that really annoyed me, they don't honor purchased music for your old iPod unless you backed it up on a cd ect.. Why can't they just d/l it to me again..? Luckily its only a dozen or so songs but seriously what a rip off..

icarus
03-04-2008, 08:34 PM
Does anyone else with a Touch have a problem whereby you are in the middle of something (browsing through albums, listening to music, surfing the net) and it just stops and goes back to the menu screen. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does it is really annoying. Anyone have this problem?

Flaming Choy
03-05-2008, 10:50 AM
Does anyone else with a Touch have a problem whereby you are in the middle of something (browsing through albums, listening to music, surfing the net) and it just stops and goes back to the menu screen. It doesn't happen too often, but when it does it is really annoying. Anyone have this problem?

might be a caching issue. I know when I'm surfing large blogs (like engadget) sometimes it'll close and kick me to the home screen.

J pold
03-05-2008, 11:38 AM
Another question

I know with older Ipods...my old Nano for example you could also use it as a separate UBS hard drive that you could copy files onto

Can you no longer do this with the new 80g Ipod classic, I just purchased a new one I and I can't find it as a separate hard drive

kermitology
03-05-2008, 03:03 PM
Can you no longer do this with the new 80g Ipod classic, I just purchased a new one I and I can't find it as a separate hard drive

Not 100% sure, but I'd suggest going into iTunes and clicking the option to manage it yourself. Then it might show up.

kermitology
03-05-2008, 03:07 PM
Holy crap.. just checked out the new sharepod and apparently it works with iTouch/iPhone (using iPhoneFS)

Ironhorse
03-10-2008, 12:00 AM
Can I use an iPod on more than one computer? And can I use/manage more than one iPod from the same computer?

Muta
03-10-2008, 09:28 AM

icarus, I have this exact problem. Everything about my iTouch is fine (I even like the $20 upgrade, go figure... I use the Notes application to make shopping lists lol), except this.

After much research, I've discovered that it's a Vista/iTunes/syncing problem. After purchasing a new laptop at Christmas that has the Vista OS, I was wondering why some of my songs were just randomly cutting out - and why some weren't - when I moved music to my iTouch using iTunes.

The easiest answer is to use a computer that has XP. Now, I do all my iTunes stuff from my office computer that uses XP; I don't touch my laptop iTunes with the Vista OS with a ten foot pole anymore. Too many breaking / stopping issues with music and video. It's not even an issue with bad files to begin with, either; somewhere along the syncing process in Vista, iTunes corrupts the songs when transferring to the iTouch.

I'm waiting for Apple to release a new version, or some kind of bug fix or something; apparently it's a very common problem amongst Vista users. Apple will be pressured into fixing this problem.

For now, use XP... or just an OS that isn't named Vista.