PDA

View Full Version : iTunes Question(s)

4X4
01-30-2008, 03:14 PM
So I have an 80 gig ipod that I'd like to load up with all my music. I was reluctant to convert to itunes because I wasn't sure if I could go back if I wanted to. I figured out a solution... My main PC and my external HD still have my library in normal mp3 format. I've copied all my tunes to my laptop as well and I'm going to use that machine for my ipod.

So I started converting my files (~13,000 songs) and the tab on the bottom is telling me 37.7 days. This has to be a joke. It isn't going to take a freakin month to do this, is it? The laptop is a relatively new machine. I don't remember the specs, but it's got at least 1 gig of ram.
Now I looked again and it's telling me 37.8 days... WTF?

photon
01-30-2008, 03:17 PM
You should be able to import the songs as MP3's and use them as MP3's without converting them; converting them will degrade the quality quite a bit.

You should also be able to use iTunes without even having to move the songs; I have all my music on a network drive and I just tell iTunes to use that folder in the library but it doesn't try to convert them or move them.

4X4
01-30-2008, 03:29 PM
What I actually did was select 'add file to library'. Is there an easier way?

Flaming Choy
01-30-2008, 03:45 PM
I hope I didn't mis-read your question, but it sounds like the adding to library/drag and drop files to itunes isn't going to convert anything, just that itunes knows of the files.

The 37.8 days reference should be the amount of time it'll take to play everything song in your library. Try typing in something randomly in the search so that your library is narrowed and see if it still says 37.8 days or if the number decreases.

photon
01-30-2008, 03:45 PM
Yeah there's an add directory to library as well, but I think it might be in the configuration somewhere to specify iTunes to not convert the file or move it. I'm not totally sure, I actually kind of hate iTunes.

llama64
01-30-2008, 03:52 PM
Check the iTunes preferences for an option to move imported files to a central place (usually in your window user directory, "My Music\iTunes\library"). Turn it off and just import the directory containing your MP3 Files into iTunes. This way you won't have multiple copies of the music files on your PC.

llama64
01-30-2008, 03:53 PM
I hope I didn't mis-read your question, but it sounds like the adding to library/drag and drop files to itunes isn't going to convert anything, just that itunes knows of the files.

The 37.8 days reference should be the amount of time it'll take to play everything song in your library. Try typing in something randomly in the search so that your library is narrowed and see if it still says 37.8 days or if the number decreases.

Actually, re-reading 4x4's post, Choy is probably right. The 37.8 days is likely the count of play time of all the music.

4X4
01-30-2008, 03:54 PM
So I could have left everything out of itunes and still loaded my ipod?

And thanks for clearing up the days thing... I'm up to 38.2

llama64
01-30-2008, 03:56 PM
So I could have left everything out of itunes and still loaded my ipod?

Only if you have another program to load them in. The iPod uses an internal database to manage files, as opposed to other players which are basic directorys.

I've tried other programs and still prefer iTunes for dealing with an iPod though.

4X4
01-30-2008, 04:01 PM
What a PITA. It doesn't tell me how long until it is going to be finished. It's been going since this morning.

Got another question... If I create playlists, do the songs I put in move out of their original place in the album, or is it just a shortcut to the song (technically, the song being in two places)?

llama64
01-30-2008, 04:04 PM
Got another question... If I create playlists, do the songs I put in move out of their original place in the album, or is it just a shortcut to the song (technically, the song being in two places)?

A playlist in iTunes is just a loose association/list of songs. It's like a collection of shortcuts to the actual songs then representations of the song files themselves. The only place you can preform file operations on your music files in iTunes is in the Library.

Hopefully that makes sense.

4X4
01-30-2008, 04:06 PM
Makes perfect sense... Thanks.

Russic
01-30-2008, 04:31 PM
I love that it tells you how long a selection of songs will take to play. Works wonders for road trips. If you have 8 hours to drive just keep throwing songs into a playlist and you can tell when you have enough music to play for the duration of your trip without repeating. OT I realize, but it's a feature I enjoy.

nickerjones
01-30-2008, 04:35 PM
if you have to reinstall i tunes , will you lose all your songs??? apparently i put real player on my computer and took out the itunes ability to write or burn cd's so now it says i have to reinstall itunes.... i heard that i will lose my songs if i do that... it really wouldnt be a big deal but i bought a 3 song panic! at the disco album and its in .mp4 format from itunes, and i tried to burn it with real player and apparently real player wont burn that format...

kermitology
01-30-2008, 05:44 PM
http://www.sturm.net.nz/website.php?Section=iPod+Programs&Page=Sharepod

4X4
01-30-2008, 05:56 PM
I'm assuming that you use that program and are thus recommending it? It looks alot closer to what I want in an ipod. The reason I never bothered to get one was the whole sync thing. The only reason I have one now is because I "found" it... (yes, that's code for 'stole it'. But I stole it from my dad. It just sits there and collects dust)

Ro
01-30-2008, 05:57 PM
The ONLY thing I don't like about Sharepod is that I get all my podcasts through ITunes and sync them that way so they go under the "podcasts" tab and aren't included with my music files.

But other than that, it's invaluable and very easy to use.

Rathji
01-30-2008, 07:02 PM
I'm assuming that you use that program and are thus recommending it? It looks alot closer to what I want in an ipod. The reason I never bothered to get one was the whole sync thing.

You dont need to sync, you can just click and drag them to the ipod listing in itunes. There is a way to disable it, but right now I can't think of it, it is pretty simple.

4X4
01-31-2008, 12:12 AM
Goddamnit. I just got home to see that it stopped at 10277 songs, 42.8 days and 61.47 GB. Somehow, I have all the songs within regular mp3 folders, but transferring them to iTunes makes my computer run out of space. WTF?
Looks like sharepod is the way of the future for me...

As for the podcast complaint.. Can't the podcasts just be saved in a specific folder? Is there any particular advantage to them being saved as 'podcasts' instead of regular mp3s?

llama64
01-31-2008, 08:03 AM
Goddamnit. I just got home to see that it stopped at 10277 songs, 42.8 days and 61.47 GB. Somehow, I have all the songs within regular mp3 folders, but transferring them to iTunes makes my computer run out of space. WTF?
Looks like sharepod is the way of the future for me...

This is because iTunes was trying to consolidate everything into it's own directory. Yes, it was making a duplicate copy of all your music. This makes sense in many contexts and is a feature I personally use, but your folders are probably already organized so there is no point.

Steps to correct:
- Turn off the option for iTunes to manage your music library (under preferences, somewhere)
- Delete all music from your iTunes Library. When it asks to move stuff to the Recycle bin, select "Keep it".
- Navigate to your userfolder/My Music (assuming you're on windows). Delete the iTunes folder. Before deleting it, just check if your original mp3 folder is still all intact (should be, just being cautious).
- Re-open iTunes, use the Add Folder to Library function (under File menu?). This will scan through the MP3 folders and add the files into the iTunes database. Because you turned off the option in step on, it will not try to copy the files into a new folder for you.

Hope this helps out!

Rathji
01-31-2008, 08:55 AM
The reason I never bothered to get one was the whole sync thing.
To disable auto sync in itunes go to edit--> preferences--> syncing --> check " Disable auto syncing for all ipods and iphones"

Maritime Q-Scout
01-31-2008, 09:00 AM
So apparently I need some sort of conversion software in order to put my videos on my iPod.

Any suggestions on what to use?

llama64
01-31-2008, 09:11 AM
So apparently I need some sort of conversion software in order to put my videos on my iPod.

iTunes/Quicktime doesn't do this for you? My iPod is old school so I'd be curious to know as well.

Flaming Choy
01-31-2008, 09:11 AM

I use this

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/download.php

Titan
01-31-2008, 09:23 AM
Just to be clear. Does Itunes actually make a second copy of your song in another folder or does it just identify the path to that song in the original folder? I thought it just identified where the song is located.

Barnes
01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
iTunes/Quicktime doesn't do this for you? My iPod is old school so I'd be curious to know as well.

Oh God don't use Quicktime.

Videora on Windows

iSquint on Mac

TurnedTheCorner
01-31-2008, 09:33 AM
I use this

http://www.videora.com/en-us/Converter/iPod/download.php
I've used Viodera as well to great success. Seems to take a long time to convert, but the age of my PC may be a factor.

photon
01-31-2008, 10:12 AM
Just to be clear. Does Itunes actually make a second copy of your song in another folder or does it just identify the path to that song in the original folder? I thought it just identified where the song is located.

It can do either depending on how it is configured.

Bobblehead
01-31-2008, 10:24 AM
That's a huge reason why I liked my Creative Zen Vision:m for video. It plays DIVX/XVID (and others) with no need for transcoding.

llama64
01-31-2008, 11:10 AM
Oh God don't use Quicktime.

Videora on Windows

iSquint on Mac

Gonna have to look at iSquint. I usually use VLC on everything though.

llama64
01-31-2008, 11:10 AM

edit: Photon beat me!

It can be set to do either.

Pagal4321
01-31-2008, 11:15 AM
edit: Photon beat me!

It can be set to do either.

I now have it set to make copies of the songs, becuase as soon as you start trying to clean up all your songs (wherever they are on your HD), iTunes loses them as soon as you move them. I've lost almost 500 songs out of iTunes that way.
I need to check out that conversion software.

Muta
01-31-2008, 11:24 AM
I'd say Videora for the movie conversion. I did all ther research for ALL the different movie / file types to convert to my iTouch, and all the programs that did them. Oddly enough, I did that three weeks ago, and I don't remember anything I researched, for some reason. :)

I'm on a YouTube/mp4 conversion kick right now. My iTouch is filling up with YouTube videos.

Oh, and iTunes HATES Vista. There is a USB connection issue between iTunes and my iTouch that makes songs/video that come from Vista on this specific computer cut out and flat out stop sometimes. I put Batman Begins on my iTouch, and and the stupid USB issue made the movie stop or freeze up my iTouch every 5-10 minutes or so.

Now, I just use my work computer to get music, since it runs Windows XP. The files I get actually can be moved through iTunes to my iTouch with no hassles. But now, I have the problem of having music databases on TWO computers instead of one. This means that AutoSynching comes off; manual movement of music files is the way to go, or I have to start ALL OVER from scratch. I'm waiting for the day when iTunes releases a version that fixes this Vista problem.

Also, a really annoying factor with iTunes / iTouch is that I can't move files from my iTouch onto other computers. Lame. This means I'll ALWAYS have different libraries at home and at work.

This mp4 thing is a problem, too... Why not just pull and use the oroginal mp3's without converting them to mp4's? I guess it's a compatibility issue, but still... I don't want duplicate music files on my computer.

llama64
01-31-2008, 11:30 AM
I now have it set to make copies of the songs, becuase as soon as you start trying to clean up all your songs (wherever they are on your HD), iTunes loses them as soon as you move them. I've lost almost 500 songs out of iTunes that way.
I need to check out that conversion software.

All the information is stored in a .XML file in your My Music folder (on XP by default at least). If you move all the info, just open up that .XML file in a decent text editor (ie, NOT Notepad) and do a text replace on the directory path.

That's how I handled it before I consolidated everything into one folder and let iTunes deal with it.