PDA

View Full Version : Pre-Teen Guitar Hero Wails on The Ellen DeGeneres Show

photon
01-29-2008, 02:26 PM
http://kotaku.com/350157/pre+teen-guitar-hero-wails-on-the-ellen-degeneres-show

Lol this is awesome. He loses it a bit right at the end, but overall that's amazingly impressive. Plus he can do it in front of an audience full of screaming women.

Someone buy this kid a real guitar.

BaconGuy
01-29-2008, 03:32 PM
Nothing against this kid. But Ben is the real guitar hero. He is 9 and makes way less mistakes then him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KUzNcheoY6U

I would kill to be able to play half as good as these guys though

foofighter15
01-29-2008, 06:49 PM
in that ben one, the hit of the strum bar sounded off on the shot notes. But that could be video stuff.

Rathji
01-29-2008, 07:20 PM
in that ben one, the hit of the strum bar sounded off on the shot notes. But that could be video stuff.
Not sure what you mean by this?

Crispy's Critter
01-29-2008, 07:34 PM
theres another video that was linked to the Ben one of a 5 year old beating Monkey Wrench on expert. These kids are freaks.

SarichFan
01-29-2008, 08:33 PM
These two kids make me sick!

why are they so good?

Does that Ben kid have that autism that makes you really good at one thing?

Insane!

Hack&Lube
01-30-2008, 01:07 AM
How about we actually get the asian kid that plays the real song in Dragonforce! guitarhero on national TV makes me cringe.

JimmytheT
02-01-2008, 01:09 PM
Why don't we see kids who are actually a talented guitarists not a talented guitar heroists. I am more impressed and entertained by a child who can play a good song on a musical instrument.

I've got nothing against Guitar Hero as a game, but people who are good at a video game are hardly press worthy in my opinion.

BTW anyone seen the recent Guitar Hero South Park episode?

SarichFan
02-01-2008, 01:53 PM
Why don't we see kids who are actually a talented guitarists not a talented guitar heroists. I am more impressed and entertained by a child who can play a good song on a musical instrument.

I've got nothing against Guitar Hero as a game, but people who are good at a video game are hardly press worthy in my opinion.

BTW anyone seen the recent Guitar Hero South Park episode?

I personally hope these young gamers learn the real thing.. but that's not to say that them being so good at the game isn't an interesting feat, It's newsworthy because these games are probably the most popular things out on the market right now worldwide...

metallicat
02-01-2008, 04:37 PM
0jgrCKhxE1s
Apparently the entire Dragonforce album is like this.

burn_this_city
02-01-2008, 04:49 PM
Thats a shorter version than I'm used to playin... still thats pretty crazy, I can barely finish it on hard..

Traditional_Ale
02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Guitar Hero is the lamest video game ever. It is designed for people who have no dreams, no ambitions, and are only living day to day for immeadiate gratification.

The amount of time some people spend playing this game is rediculous. One could become a real guitar hero if they took the time they spent playing video games and actually practiced!

But thats never going to happen because the average joe doesnt have the discipline or mental capacity to actually learn an instrument.

I dont even know how this is cool. "Hey babe, lets go back to my place so I can serenade you on the XBOX?"

Or better yet, imagine being called out on stage! "AND ON THE XBOX, BUDDY WHO CAN'T PLAY A REAL INSTRUMENT!!!"

The first year of playing an instrument is where 85% of chops are built. And I know plenty of people who have played enough guitar hero for enough time that they could have been professional gigging players by now.

Guitar hero is to white males as DDR was to ravers.

I wonder if next theres going to be a multplayer cross platform between Guitar Hero and DDR, where the "guitarists" can play and the audience can "dance" and the computer calculates some stupid score.

End rant.

Yeah_Baby
02-01-2008, 05:59 PM
so I guess instead of playing CoD 4 I should enlist in the military eh?

Traditional_Ale
02-01-2008, 06:01 PM
so I guess instead of playing CoD 4 I should enlist in the military eh?

Playing war and playing music are different. Playing music for real is fun, and war for real is certainly not.

Guitar hero is basically auditory pac-man. Imo.

Yeah_Baby
02-01-2008, 06:04 PM
Ok sorry I had a bad example. How about NFS Underground or some other street racing game.....

Traditional_Ale
02-01-2008, 06:08 PM
Ok sorry I had a bad example. How about NFS Underground or some other street racing game.....

I'd rather go racing. Illegal or not. At least one would actually be living(!) as opposed to wasting away in front of the TV.

Going back to a quote from Braveheart that I really like:

"Everyone dies, not everyone really lives."

(...and yes I do realize street racing is highly illegal, and dangerous, and could easily result in being killed in a horrible accident. But I wholeheartedly choose that fate over getting fat and losing all motivation for doing something besides lifting a beer or a bong to my mouth and worrying about the next "level"...)

burn_this_city
02-01-2008, 06:12 PM
Guitar Hero is the lamest video game ever. It is designed for people who have no dreams, no ambitions, and are only living day to day for immeadiate gratification.

The amount of time some people spend playing this game is rediculous. One could become a real guitar hero if they took the time they spent playing video games and actually practiced!

But thats never going to happen because the average joe doesnt have the discipline or mental capacity to actually learn an instrument.

I dont even know how this is cool. "Hey babe, lets go back to my place so I can serenade you on the XBOX?"

Or better yet, imagine being called out on stage! "AND ON THE XBOX, BUDDY WHO CAN'T PLAY A REAL INSTRUMENT!!!"

The first year of playing an instrument is where 85% of chops are built. And I know plenty of people who have played enough guitar hero for enough time that they could have been professional gigging players by now.

Guitar hero is to white males as DDR was to ravers.

I wonder if next theres going to be a multplayer cross platform between Guitar Hero and DDR, where the "guitarists" can play and the audience can "dance" and the computer calculates some stupid score.

End rant.

So what I gather from this is, you suck at the game so you bash it to no end.. Who cares if you can play a real instrument..? My house is full of musicians and we still play that game.. I love the mightier than thou attitude surrounding the games detractors.. NO one cares you can play a real instrument, playing gigs is fun and all but your still no real "musician".. Unless you write your own music, and play in a band signed by a label your just a copy cat anyhow.. Either that or you'll toil in obscurity for years and for what?? To bash a game some people can get drunk and have fun playing..

burn_this_city
02-01-2008, 06:14 PM
I have never played GH or seen it live. How do you play it? Do you click one of of the five colored buttons at the same time the little puck thing crosses that final line? What does the right hand do?

You strum the lil white lever with your right hand.. You have to time with with the passing "notes"

Yeah_Baby
02-01-2008, 06:15 PM
I understand your point (and how can I argue with a Braveheart quote;)). But I think just because person chills out with video games like guitar hero doesn't make a he a waste of skin. I don't one person should be obessed with anything to much as thats not heathly. I just get peeved when people go on "pick up a real guitar rants" because Guitar Hero isn't supposed to be real guitar. Its a video game. Don't hold it against the game because a people play it as much as some other people play WoW. Its not the game's fault.

Traditional_Ale
So what I gather from this is, you suck at the game so you bash it to no end.. Who cares if you can play a real instrument..? My house is full of musicians and we still play that game.. I love the mightier than thou attitude surrounding the games detractors.. NO one cares you can play a real instrument, playing gigs is fun and all but your still no real "musician".. Unless you write your own music, and play in a band signed by a label your just a copy cat anyhow.. Either that or you'll toil in obscurity for years and for what?? To bash a game some people can get drunk and have fun playing..

What I gather is that rather than practice your real instrument you'd rather get drunk and play video games.

And then you go on to talk about composition, performance, and the music industry like you are in fact the holier than thou one?!

burn_this_city
Worse than wasting time in front of a TV is wasting your time in front of a computer ranting about people wasting time in front of a TV.

The world is already far to cluttered with "musicians" who feel their message should be heard, hopefully Guitar Hero filters some of the glut of crap music out of the local clubs.

Amen reverend

burn_this_city
02-01-2008, 06:17 PM
What I gather is that rather than practice your real instrument you'd rather get drunk and play video games.

And then you go on to talk about composition, performance, and the music industry like you are in fact the holier than thou one?!

I'm not the one who parachuted in and started going off about a video game..

Traditional_Ale
02-01-2008, 06:18 PM
I understand your point (and how can I argue with a Braveheart quote;)). But I think just because person chills out with video games like guitar hero doesn't make a he a waste of skin. I don't one person should be obessed with anything to much as thats not heathly. I just get peeved when people go on "pick up a real guitar rants" because Guitar Hero isn't supposed to be real guitar. Its a video game. Don't hold it against the game because a people play it as much as some other people play WoW. Its not the game's fault.

I agree, its the people playing it. And I am sort of hypocritical in a sense that I compose music for video games, but do not play them!

My whole aversion to Guitar Hero is the same as WoW. Instead of living life, they spend years of it (real time) online in a fantasy world. Maybe instead of running around pretending to fight things, learn to fight for real! Instead of pretending to play guitar, take all the time that you would spend playing a video game a play guitar for real.

I guess my point is that I cannot name a single instance in which a video game has represented something real and been more fun than actually just doing it for real.

Traditional_Ale
02-01-2008, 06:20 PM
I'm not the one who parachuted in and started going off about a video game..

I'm not the one who compared "getting drunk and playing video games" to art and self-realization and all around improving one's quality of life.

burn_this_city
02-01-2008, 06:21 PM
I'm not the one who compared "getting drunk and playing video games" to art and self-realization and all around improving one's quality of life.

Your just so damn deep I guess..

Maybe instead of telling people what to do.. You could go do whatever you think is so friggin important yourself..

Traditional_Ale
02-01-2008, 06:23 PM
Worse than wasting time in front of a TV is wasting your time in front of a computer ranting about people wasting time in front of a TV.

The world is already far to cluttered with "musicians" who feel their message should be heard, hopefully Guitar Hero filters some of the glut of crap music out of the local clubs.

Hahahaha.

I doubt you have the courage to even try to think of an original message, let along hang your ass, ego, and life on the line to get it out there.

But your XBOX isnt going to care if you suck. So I guess to each their own.

SarichFan
02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
How insecure can you be Traditional? Honestly... Go read a book...

Here's one: "Finding your secure Self" becuase clearly you're that insecure that you can't understand that people, all people do different things to have fun.

What a bizzare series of posts...

RougeUnderoos
02-01-2008, 07:04 PM
Hahahaha.

I doubt you have the courage to even try to think of an original message, let along hang your ass, ego, and life on the line to get it out there.

But your XBOX isnt going to care if you suck. So I guess to each their own.

I think he said he's never played the game.

I think he also said that one thing that is worse than playing video games is going on the internet and bitching about people playing video games. Do you agree?

And I"ll add that something else... another thing worse than playing video games is going on the internet and bitching about people playing video games and being so high and mighty about it that everyone who reads the bitching rolls their eyes.

Myself, I don't quite get the attraction to this Guitar Hero, probably because I suck at it, but people think it's fun, so I find it kind of hard to begrudge them that. I know some "real" musicians, people who have been playing the real guitar for 25 years, and they love it.

metallicat
02-01-2008, 07:43 PM
I'm speechless. I'm without speech.

SarichFan
02-01-2008, 10:09 PM
You should try SpeechHero then, since you do not have the courage to speak.

fotze wins this thread.

metallicat
02-01-2008, 10:40 PM
fotze wins this thread.fotze wins every thread. This is nothing new.

Saint Troy
02-01-2008, 10:59 PM
Congrats Trad Ale, you just won the triple score combo of debbie downer, killjoy and pompous ass in only one thread. relax. It's a game. Man it would be awesome if your next game job is writing menu music for guitar hero 4.

Joborule
02-02-2008, 02:27 AM
You should try SpeechHero then, since you do not have the courage to speak.
Lmao! :#1:

Another Fotze classic. Made the thread worth it.

photon
02-02-2008, 08:04 AM
Plus there are tons of people who love music but have no actual talent. I've played quite a few instruments, played in a jazz band, and I think I have a really good ear, but I really lack the raw creativity and talent to be a good musician.

photon
02-02-2008, 08:07 AM
Lol and that's a good point earlier, at least with Rock Band or whatever a person is learning some musical ability, rhythm, listening while playing, etc.. where if they're playing World of Warcraft all they're learning is the correct 6 hour procedure for 40 guys to raid The Temple of Ahn'Qiraj.

JiriHrdina
02-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Such a strange thread. I've never understood anyone that goes into a thread clearly marked - for something they have no interest in.

Geez louise it's a video game that people enjoy. That's it. That doesn't mean they want to learn a music insturment - which can take years before you are even competent.

Maybe they just want to get together and fool around with a silly game.

Relax and get off your high horse.

Crispy's Critter
02-02-2008, 10:12 AM
I've played guitar for 30 years, 2 of my bands cut demos, we played in bar bands, lots of gigs, dances etc, so I have put myself out there pursuing a career with the real thing. I spent literally thousands of hours playing and learning the real thing, and I have to say that I still find GH to be a hell of a lot of fun, and very enjoyable. The discipline it takes to be very good at it is, while maybe not quite as hard as learning the real thing, still quite an acomplishment to be that good. (on a side note, anyone remember the old Studio-a-go-go in Calgary? (think that was what it was called) We played there the night the Flames beat the Canucks in game 7 in '89)

I used to think along the lines that Ale does, that why waste time playing with a plastic guitar when I can play the real thing, but that was until I played it. The damn thing is fun as hell! Sometimes it's ok that only a video game audience thinks I suck, it's a hell of a lot better than having a real audience think that. Games are meant for fun and relaxation, not to completely re-create actually doing something, and that's what sometimes gets forgotten when people trash a game, or it's players. It's true that I don't think that these kids, as good as they are should be on TV, or be recieving quite the recognition that they are for playing a game, but as has been said it's probably the most popular game out there ATM, so I can see why they do.

So I guess while Ale's argument for playing the real thing does have some merit, I don't agree with the trashing aspect of his argument. If that's what people want to do with their time it's up to them, and like all video games, eventually this fad will pass and the next big thing will come along, and these kids will go back into obscurity, or maybe even be inspired to pick up a real guitar. Unfortunately I can see that probably a large chunk of the kids good at the game who might pick up a real guitar will get frustrated and quit when it isn't as easy as they thought it would be.

Kipru
02-03-2008, 04:09 AM
I bet most of you guys hve seen these comics, but I'll post them anyway. I just weel a bit sad if there is even one future Glenn TIpton or Randall Rhoads who will never offer their talent to the world because they can play guitar the "easy way", with their PS3.

http://www.cad-comic.com/comics/20070509.jpg

http://www.cad-comic.com/comics/20060419.jpg

KevanGuy
02-03-2008, 05:07 AM

Because people can relate to how difficult GH can be. Unless they have tried, most people don't appreciate how hard playing real guitar can be. But, if they have tried GH (or can see from the video feed how difficult it looks) they can understand how talented that kid really is. Either way, the kid is talented. I don't understand why his achievements should be diminished just because they were performed in a video game and not on an instrument.

Maritime Q-Scout
02-03-2008, 08:23 AM
I really like Guitar Hero/Rock Band. I never thought I would, I first say Guitar Hero and thought "you guys are a bunch of losers, seriously this is stupid and will never catch on!"

I was wrong.

When I played my perception changed. Here's a few reasons why:

1 - I'm musically inept. I can't play an instrument or carry a note in a bucket, I'd love to be able to sing, but I can't. When I play guitar hero I'm aware that I can't play guitar but I get the illusion that I'm controlling the sound and chords. I can "perform" while drunk or at a party with friends and carry on like I'm a rock legend. I'm not, I'm aware, but it's all in good fun. Good fun I don't have the ability to have with a real guitar.

So more people can play guitar, and there's more people out there that can perform and rock out at the party than solely the guy holding the acoustic. For those of you who are that guy and feel threatened, I'm sorry. I went from being a story teller/drunken antics/centre of attention when no musical instruments are around, to one with "musical" instruments around. If you're threatened at a house party, you can still sing ;)

2 - I like the songs, or at least most of them. I'll play, not the songs that are the easiest or that I'm good at, but the songs I want to hear. It's another extension of music. It's going from listening live, to buying the LP/tape/cd/mp3, to dancing at the club/hall/benefit/school guy, to partying in your kitchen, to dancing alone in your living room.

Frankly everything negative that was said about guitar hero can be said about dancing alone in your living room, singing along in the car, belting out a tune in the shower, or playing air guitar in your parents' basement.

It's another medium for music. I'm not going to become a Rock Star because I play Rock Band, I'm gonna have fun and enjoy something so many others can do for real because I have no musical talent.

Sorry for raining on your parade, but no matter how many lessons, how much practice I have I still won't hear the notes properly, or get my timing down for guitar. Because of that I'm a loser for playing guitar hero and taking some pleasure in an activity similar to yours.

Well call me a loser then, in another event, couldn't you have written a book with all the time you've spent reading and writing on internet message boards?