PDA

View Full Version : iPhone or Blackberry?

Fozzie_DeBear
01-29-2008, 11:43 AM
Interested in people opinion,

I am a Mac user and my work has approved me for a smartphone, I have narrowed it down to the Blackberry Curve, the iPhone or the next Blackberry (with wi-fi).

Any thoughts about which would be a best choice?

Kipper is King
01-29-2008, 01:16 PM
Well, the iphone won't work with hotmail unless you pay extra for izzymail.

While the iphone is an awesome and fun device to have (I have an ipod touch), it isn't really business oriented. It can do things like open PDFs, but not much more. That could change once the SDK comes out in February, though!

fredr123
01-29-2008, 01:22 PM
I have a Mac at home (Windoze at work) and just got a Blackberry. Can't comment on the iPhone since I've never really tried it. Having an awesome data plan is pretty much a prerequisite to unlocking the full potential of either device, IMHO.

There may be issues syncing your BB with a Mac if you use Entourage: http://www.crackberry.com/mac-users-microsoft-entourage-2008-missing-blackberry-syncing-features

kermitology
01-29-2008, 08:49 PM
I've got an iPhone as my "smart" phone. It's alright.. It does e-mail pretty well and having wireless is awesome. Unlocking it takes about 10 minutes so go down to the US the next chance you get and pick one up.

One of my co-workers ditched his blackberry for the iPhone.

Jayems
01-31-2008, 01:33 AM
here's a question.

I'm looking at picking up a blackberry off ebay. Its the 7530 version. Basically, Im looking for a phone that has the qwerty keypad, has a good contact list, and basically the feature of a blackberry.

what I don't want is to use it for browsing the web. I want it for all of its other features, maybe even some email. I know you're probably thinking "well, get a regular phone" and I understand that, but I like the features and the design of this phone. Im going to get it off ebay for a good deal (here's hoping.)

My question is can you use a blackberry for just reguar calling and not have to have a massive data plan? I've heard that some home blackberry users have $300 bills. I'm fine with the account i'm on right now and don't want to change it. I just want a phone with a little more flexibility (calendar, easy text messaging etc)

Thoughts?

Flaming Choy
01-31-2008, 09:17 AM
Well, the iphone won't work with hotmail unless you pay extra for izzymail.

Not entirely true. If you have had your hotmail account from a couple years back, there is an option to auto-forward your mail to another account (i used a second gmail account). In the gmail account, you can set the outgoing mail to be tagged as another account (your hotmail one). So now your mail account will recieve all incoming hotmail mail and send all outgoing mail as hotmail. Then just set gmail up on your iphone from the others->imap configuration and your good to go.