PDA

View Full Version : xbox 360 and NHL 08 Problems

Titan
01-18-2008, 02:51 PM
Anyone else having freezing issues with their xbox? My brother has gone through about 4 machines and 4 copies of NHL 08. Yesterday a new box worked for 30 minutes and died. He is now considering a PS3.

Anyone have similar experiences?

Matata
01-18-2008, 02:56 PM
I've had a few laggy games, but the server seemed to noticeably improve once the new year started. Overall, I think it works just fine (Xbox user).

My main problem is I spent 2 months (I've played about ~120 games online) climbing the ladder rankings, then I stopped playing for a few weeks and now I lose 4/5 instead of winning 7/8:(

Engine09
01-18-2008, 03:07 PM
4 XBOX 360 consoles?

Hell, I don't know, maybe run them through a UPS. Might be something strange with your electricity that is hitting Microsoft products for some reason.

Prototype
01-18-2008, 03:19 PM
I get a message stating that the disc is dirty, or that it can't read from disc. It pisses me off. Only with my XBOX and NHL08. Every other game is fine.

llama64
01-18-2008, 03:31 PM
I recently turned my Xbox on, put in a Rome DVD and promptly faced a flashing red circle (just one quarter) and a message saying there had been a system error, "call Xbox Support".

After dropping a load in my pants, I turned the system off, removed the disc, booted to the live screen and put the DVD back in. No problems.

Just like MS Windows!

foofighter15
01-18-2008, 03:33 PM
I recently turned my Xbox on, put in a Rome DVD and promptly faced a flashing red circle (just one quarter) and a message saying there had been a system error, "call Xbox Support".

After dropping a load in my pants, I turned the system off, removed the disc, booted to the live screen and put the DVD back in. No problems.

Just like MS Windows!
that's how it begins. slowly but surely its going to continue and increase how often it happens, and eventually you'll give in, call, and they will tell you to send it in

FlamesKickAss
01-18-2008, 03:53 PM
i have had no problems with my machine. knock on wood. had it since dec 2006

Flaming Choy
01-18-2008, 04:12 PM
I get a message stating that the disc is dirty, or that it can't read from disc. It pisses me off. Only with my XBOX and NHL08. Every other game is fine.

I get this quite often also. Most commonly with nhl07/08 but also dead rising and a couple other games, thinking of sending it back and getting a new one.

I-Hate-Hulse
01-18-2008, 05:01 PM
Just had the RROD 8.5 seconds into GH3. What a piss off. Stuttering and freezing is a sure sign of impending doom.

Luckily the store took it back and I'm up an running after 3 days. My plan is to increase cooling - apparently the solder used to secure the graphics processor is brittle, and the toasty X360 + Xclamps cause this to break after a while.

I'm going to put in a Talismoon Whisper 12V fan to replace the 5V ones (supposedly not much louder) and I'm going to redo the heatsinks in Arctic Silver. Newer "falcon" X360's use a 65nm process and have better cooling - hopefully this will improve the abysmal 1 in 3 failure rate.

So it's a hardware thing, not so much a software thing. But it still sucks it's even an issue.

Jagger
01-18-2008, 05:04 PM

I get this with NHL08 too. Usually right in the middle of a close game. It REALLY pisses me off as well. I have come across the same problem with Halo 3 and Fifa08 as well but nowhere near as often.

I was going to try cleaning the console with a cleaning disc. Anybody ever try that?

psicodude
01-18-2008, 11:39 PM
I was getting the "Disc is Dirty" error a lot, and then after a month or so, I got the RROD. I actually spoke to a fairly cool guy at Microsoft, and he told me that certain games put a lot of strain on the xbox, and heat it up big time. It heats up so much that some parts expand slightly, lifting the laser that reads the DVD and results in this error. Sooner or later, this heating and cooling will cause your xbox to die. Since I got my replacement, I haven't had this happen once....knock on wood.

No clue if this is fact or not, just passing along what random 1st level xbox support dude told me. Xbox 360 heat issues are well documented, so it sounds plausable at least.

Russic
01-20-2008, 12:16 PM
It crashes alot especially in the first game, after that its pretty good. The PS3 hockey is awful though, because crashy is better that epilecticky.

Have you played it or just read reviews? I've played both and honestly couldn't really see that much of a difference. The difference is there, just not as dramatic as many claim it to be (my opinion).

My roomates xbox started to die and ultimately did die on nhl 07. He ended up getting a ps3 and has been very pleased with the hockey thus far.

nickerjones
01-20-2008, 01:14 PM
i cant for the life of me figure out how these guys can check me everytime i touch the puck and i cant even come close to touching them..... my record was 2-12 but now i was gotten it up to 12-14 but still its always one goal games and im always up by like 3 and they get a couple of really soft goals like one guy shot from the center line and it 5- holed kipper with no traffic in front at all........ but i do get alot of choppy games it really pisses me off.... but lately i have been getting alot of connection problems on live with call of duty 4

Ro
05-19-2008, 10:01 PM
I just recently started playing this game online again, and have been experiencing some frustrating freezing/glitch/resetting issues in-game when playing someone over Xbox Live. Like this:

GpJHoGkNxiU

Anyone else experiencing this? Any solutions?

Human Torch
05-19-2008, 10:11 PM
I've had that happen a couple times on ps3 also. I think it's just a bad connection error. Anyways, even though 08 is a big improvement over their past games it's still buggy as hell.

RW99
05-19-2008, 10:53 PM
Well documented NHL08 problem. I haven't played that game in months and I'm not buying EA products where possible.

Russic
05-20-2008, 01:26 PM
WE tried it for one evening at it was choppy, i.e. not smooth animation, it was uncomfortable to play, thought it was the machine or faulty disc but after reading some reviews they had the same problem. It was like the first few versions of PC EA Hockey if your computer was underpowered. Choppy, which is funny for PS3. The menu system seemed better. I don;t think it is a PS3 problem, but an EA problem. Didn't someone say they put far less resources into the PS3 version as opposed to the XBOX one?

They did have a harder time with the ps3 version. It was shortly after the release that ea came out and announced that they've pretty much figured it out a little better and all games will have the same framerate on both consoles. Unfortunately too late for nhl 08 though.

Framerate is funny, some people notice it and some people (like me) don't as much.

Unfortunately nhl 08 is simply glitchy. Hopefully ea spends more time ironing out 09.

dissentowner
05-21-2008, 07:31 PM
I just recently started playing this game online again, and have been experiencing some frustrating freezing/glitch/resetting issues in-game when playing someone over Xbox Live. Like this:

GpJHoGkNxiU

That is unreal, they should refund your purchase price with that game!

psicodude
05-22-2008, 10:51 AM
That is unreal, they should refund your purchase price with that game!

Wouldn't the problem be with Ro's Xbox though? I mean, I have played this game thousands of times and never seen this happen. The game itself is identical, so the only difference is the hardware.

I'm not sticking up for EA or anything. Just saying if a million people buy the game and only a few hundred have this problem, how could it be the game's fault?

Prototype
05-22-2008, 10:53 AM
I was getting the "Disc is Dirty" error a lot, and then after a month or so, I got the RROD. I actually spoke to a fairly cool guy at Microsoft, and he told me that certain games put a lot of strain on the xbox, and heat it up big time. It heats up so much that some parts expand slightly, lifting the laser that reads the DVD and results in this error. Sooner or later, this heating and cooling will cause your xbox to die. Since I got my replacement, I haven't had this happen once....knock on wood.

No clue if this is fact or not, just passing along what random 1st level xbox support dude told me. Xbox 360 heat issues are well documented, so it sounds plausable at least.

For what it's worth, the exact same thing happened to me, other than getting a 'cool' guy at Microsoft. Seems like the people I talk to are more about making sure all cords are connected.

FlamesKickAss
05-22-2008, 10:55 AM
ive had it happen to me plenty. its a server problem i think

dissentowner
05-23-2008, 12:53 PM
Wouldn't the problem be with Ro's Xbox though? I mean, I have played this game thousands of times and never seen this happen. The game itself is identical, so the only difference is the hardware.

I'm not sticking up for EA or anything. Just saying if a million people buy the game and only a few hundred have this problem, how could it be the game's fault?

You are the first person I have heard of that is not having a problem with this game. It is not a hardware issue, it is bugs in the game programming.
You are seriously lucky if you have never had a problem with this title.

psicodude
05-23-2008, 11:43 PM
You are the first person I have heard of that is not having a problem with this game. It is not a hardware issue, it is bugs in the game programming.
You are seriously lucky if you have never had a problem with this title.

Noooooo. I am talking since the last time my 360 was repaired (actually, I am pretty sure I just got a new one with my hdd). Before that, I would be able to play for 30 minutes or so tops before getting the "can't read disc" error. It would drive me bananas. I would only experience this problem with NHL 08 and FIFA 07.

All I am saying is that the game *should* act exactly the same way on every console because both the hardware and software are identical. Please don't think I am trying to defend EA here though, as they will let any pile of crap out of the door as long as they make a buck.

flip
05-24-2008, 11:12 AM
Get the same problem all the time. I tried using a lens cleaning disc in my xbox but it didn't seem to help.

I actually threw out my 1st copy of NHL 08 in a fit of rage after it happened during a close game in the playoffs in my dynasty.

Now i always start a game then promptly turn off the machine restart and it is fine. It usually only does the disc dirty message the first time so if i restart im usually ok.

nickerjones
05-24-2008, 11:20 AM
i have the connection problems but what i hate is i have never seen a goalie interference call in just regular dynasty mode....

Im playing on the highest level and i cant tell you how many times an opposing player is behind kipper or right beside him and not allowing him to move side to side ( and the opposing team scores) and there is no call!!! i hate it lol............

of course i also thought this sucks , a guy from the point fires a slapper at kipper, whho has no traffic in front of him, and it goes in .... then i realized WAIT that really is how it happens to kipper HAHAHa :bag::whistle:

Igottago
05-29-2008, 11:54 PM
Anyone experience this problem; everytime I go to xbox live to play an online game, the game makes me check for online roster updates, and then makes me download rosters. I do save them, but when I turn on the game next time, it repeats the same process. It is a huge time waster and the rosters are already on my hard drive..no idea why it keeps doing this now, it never did it before.

Human Torch
05-30-2008, 10:13 PM
Alright I'm getting pissed. I already have NHL08 for ps3 but got the 360 version so I can get into teamplay faster(larger userbase) and now I'm getting dirty disc read errors and my DNF is climbing. Now I'm actually hoping it red rings sooner than later.

Shnabdabber
06-01-2008, 10:30 AM
I've had the same freezing problems/glitches with EA NHL games for the past few years, seems the freezing glitch only affects my game when I'm in dynasty mode.

I found that starting the 360 up by opening the tray, logging out, and then loading the 08 disk stopped the freezing issues, until now. I'm at about game 72 of a 82 game season in year two of dynasty, and I can't get past a game against the top team in the east. Doesn't matter what I do, sim, try to play it, whatever, It freezes every time. EA's NHL series has had this problem for years. I won't be wasting my money on another NHL title from EA.

Joborule
06-01-2008, 12:50 PM

GpJHoGkNxiU

That's actually an age old glitch. Since NHL 2004 on PS2. It's the faceoff glitch, and I have no idea how they cannot find the issue and fix it yet. It's outrageous.

nickerjones
06-01-2008, 03:24 PM
That's actually an age old glitch. Since NHL 2004 on PS2. It's the faceoff glitch, and I have no idea how they cannot find the issue and fix it yet. It's outrageous.

this happens alot on live, when im kicking the out of someone ..... but usually if they lose connection i will get the win.... i have found one way to defeat this is if you get the face off is just to keep going off sides until they get pissed and stop doing it .....

Human Torch
06-01-2008, 03:32 PM
i have found one way to defeat this is if you get the face off is just to keep going off sides until they get pissed and stop doing it .....

Yup this is what I do.

Also, just saw your online ranking Joborule....holy smokes!