PDA

View Full Version : Screen tearing with Xbox 360

red sky
01-15-2008, 09:16 AM
I am just wondering if people have encounter screen tearing with the Xbox 360? For those of you unfamiliar with it, essentially it is a display issue where horizontal lines move vertically along the screen due to frame rate issues... I believe anyways.

I have seen it in NHL 08 a few times as well as GHII. Has anyone else experienced this issue with these games? I am hoping it isn't my TV and just issues with Xbox. I have a 720p/1080i Samsung with gamemode.

Engine09
01-15-2008, 09:49 AM
I've had my 360 for over a year now, I played NHL 07 and now NHL 08 all the time, never had an issue at all.

I've had the game freeze maybe 4 times in over a year, and a few times noticed small blocks on the screen at startup. But those went away in seconds.

red sky
01-15-2008, 10:00 AM
So then I am not sure what the issue could be. I read online about it and there are a few games where people experienced ongoing screen tear but there was not mention of the two aforementioned games.

I am hoping it is not my TV because I just got it on boxing day...

McG
01-15-2008, 10:15 PM
i have a samsung dlp 720p/1080i. I have my xbox set to 1080 output. i have the tv set to game or whatever the name of it is.

i have had none of the problems that you describe with either games or using the media extender.

i know that's kinda a nothing post...but i haven't seen these issues.

Hack&Lube
01-15-2008, 10:58 PM
Screen tearing is a result of certain games not being properly v-sync'd to the vertical refresh rate of your television. If the framerate of the game is not syncronized to the refresh rate that your television supports, you will sometimes get screen tearing.

llama64
01-16-2008, 08:03 AM
Screen tearing is a result of certain games not being properly v-sync'd to the vertical refresh rate of your television. If the frame-rate of the game is not synchronized to the refresh rate that your television supports, you will sometimes get screen tearing.

Good explanation.

I thought I saw a game that let you turn on v-sync a while back but most hide this option.

Is there a way to deal with this issue on the Xbox360? It's easy enough to manage on a PC.