PDA

View Full Version : Apple introduces new superthin laptop?

Table 5
01-14-2008, 06:49 PM
That's the rumor. MacWorld keynote is tomorrow and many think Stevo will announce the Macbook Air, a superthin laptop.

Here's what Wired thinks it looks like:
http://blog.wired.com/gadgets/2008/01/breaking-macboo.html

Let's just hope it has some meat to it. Thin is nice, but irrelevant if it has no power.

Kipper is King
01-14-2008, 09:40 PM
I am interested in the iPhone/iPod touch SDK. A ultrathin Macbook would be cool, too though!

Winsor_Pilates
01-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Wickedawack!

Flaming Choy
01-14-2008, 11:05 PM
damn i'm turning into a apple fanboy. If it's like that, and has a good battery life, i want it.

photon
01-15-2008, 12:16 AM
I hope they refresh the macbook pro's as well, I'm itching to get a laptop.

kn
01-15-2008, 12:33 AM
I like their new Mac Pros but can't justify the price. I need more screen real estate than my MacBook provides and may have to give in to an iMac which are major bank for the buck.

Maybe the MacBook Air will make me reconsider yet again... but no optical drive?

Barnes
01-15-2008, 07:46 AM
I like their new Mac Pros but can't justify the price. I need more screen real estate than my MacBook provides and may have to give in to an iMac which are major bank for the buck.

Maybe the MacBook Air will make me reconsider yet again... but no optical drive?

The optical drive is rumoured to be external. I am not banking in an ultraportable. The rumour sites have not been receiving good inside information for the past little while.

I expect a major AppleTV update, iTunes movie rentals, iPhone sdk and some applications created by trusted partners as well as storage bump, MacBook Pro update, itunes and Quicktime 8 and a "one more thing". That could be an ultraportable or a brand new device.

There will also be some people that are excited and some people that are not. And there will also be someone that says they can build something twice as fast for seven dollars.

Flaming Choy
01-15-2008, 10:05 AM
mac world starting now.

-So far just Time Capsule (wireless time machine)
-New iphone firmware, homepage hacks, map tracking, stuff you can already do with a hacked phone (except the map tracking). LAME, those updates will cost $20 on itouch. More reason to the hack the damn thing.
-itunes movie rental
-updated appletv
-Macbook Air. Finally. wow, it's thin, 0.76 inches thickest, down to 0.16 inches. LED backlit screen, multitouch track pad, 13.3" screen. No optical drive, external usb power superdrive - $99, can install software over wifi using another computer's optical drive. 5 hour battery life with wifi. 2 gig ram, 80 gig hdd standard. $1799 starting, not as expensive as i thought.

Canada 02
01-15-2008, 11:08 AM
That's the rumor. MacWorld keynote is tomorrow and many think Stevo will announce the Macbook Air, a superthin laptop.i've had a Samsung laptop for about 4 years, with a built in optical drive and it is about 2 lbs and 19mm thick. Battery life is 2 hours, 4 hours with the larger battery pack. Apple is behind the times :whistle:

Barnes
01-15-2008, 11:10 AM
20th Century Fox will include an iTunes version of the film on all their discs so you can copy the movie straight into iTunes. Very cool.

Barnes
01-15-2008, 11:12 AM
And here comes the MacBook Air.

All from Gizmodo.com:

"MacBook air goes from 0.76 inches down to 0.16 inches at the thin end

http://cache.gizmodo.com/assets/macworld08/macworld08360.jpg

Here’s the CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo Inside, 1.6 GHz standard, with a 1.8GHz upgrade available. Apple asked Intel to shrink their Core 2 Duo processors down to a package 60% smaller in order to fit it inside the MacBook Air. And here’s Intel’s CEO Paul Otellini to talk about it.

The other features: flip-down door that has USB 2, microDVI port, and a headphone jack. The other side is a MagSafe connector. As for wireless, it’s got 802.11n WiFi and Bluetooth 2.1 + EDR. It doesn’t have an optical drive internal, but you can buy a separate USB-powered SuperDrive that’s especially made for the MacBook Air. $99."

Table 5
01-15-2008, 11:24 AM
look at that smug face. that's such a "im gonna be even more filthy ritch" look.

photon
01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
Wow, looks pretty cool! Price point what I expected I guess; too high but just within the realm of desire.

photon
01-15-2008, 11:35 AM
That's it? No updates to the MacBook Pro's??? :(

Table 5
01-15-2008, 11:55 AM
Hopefully Pro's are not too far behind. The Air is nice, but a little underpowered.

Russic
01-15-2008, 11:57 AM
looks to be great if you're a big traveler. Personally I'd rather get a pro, but then again i don't spend a whole lot of time carting my laptop around.

Resolute 14
01-15-2008, 03:00 PM
"Introducing Apple's thinnest paperweight."

"Note that due to it's slim form-factor, functionality as a doorstop has been discontinued."

Mango
01-15-2008, 03:14 PM
I think I'm in love!!:wub:

underGRADFlame
01-15-2008, 05:20 PM
I'm excited/pissed off at the new Time Capsule... I just bought a Airport Extreme before christmas only to find out Time Machine doesn't support the external hd as a back up and now the come out with this!!!! I want one!!! Anyone want to buy a month old Airport Extreme?

Flaming Choy
01-15-2008, 11:07 PM
That's it? No updates to the MacBook Pro's??? :(

I think that's coming in May or whenever the next big mac thing is.

I'm sorta undecided. I know I want my next laptop to be a mac (run osx and windows, so best of both worlds) and the air is nice (battery and portability wise) but missing a few functions for me. Hopefully the next mac book pros are good.

kn
01-16-2008, 07:54 AM
Yeah, I have a MacBook with both OS X/Vista so there's not point in getting a MacAir.

I was torn between a high-end iMac or low-end Mac Pro but went for the iMac.

Once you go Mac, you never go back! ;)

fredr123
01-16-2008, 08:55 AM
I'm really digging the idea of an ultralight Mac notebook. We switched to a Macbook Pro at home last year and have really enjoyed the change. I pack a notebook computer between the home and office all the time and would really appreciate a cool ultralight. I don't see a need for a DVD/CD drive anymore since most if not all of my work is stored on the office network. Couple problems that need to be dealt with before I jump on board though:

- battery is not replaceable (like iPods) so you won't be able to carry an extra battery with you or swap in a new one when the original battery inevitably starts to fail;

- I'm not up to date on the docking situation with Mac notebooks but I would wager there isn't a good solution yet for the Macbook Air form factor (having a doc with a nice keyboard/mouse/monitor setup at work is a huge benefit);

- SSD option is really pricey right now

Of course, it would probably take our IT guys a long time to figure out how to get a Mac on the Windows-only network at our office. Heck, half the time the various applications we use won't function properly on Windows machines.

photon
01-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Problem is I need a laptop now, we gave away my wife's laptop and desktop to family, so when she gets back next week she's not going to have a computer.

I don't even want to order the Dell 1530 that I will probably go with either because it doesn't have the new Penryn processor in it.

I might have to cobble something together temporarily.

fredr123
01-16-2008, 10:13 AM
Problem is I need a laptop now, we gave away my wife's laptop and desktop to family, so when she gets back next week she's not going to have a computer.

I don't even want to order the Dell 1530 that I will probably go with either because it doesn't have the new Penryn processor in it.

I might have to cobble something together temporarily.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/SalesClearance(ME)/PartnerPages(ME)/ASUSEeePC(ME)/Default.aspx

I'm really interested to hear from someone how well these things work. My wife spends about 90% of her time on the laptop surfing the web (gmail, facebook, online banking). I think something like this would work pretty well for her. Maybe your wife too?

Table 5
01-16-2008, 10:50 AM
yeah, i'm waiting for the pro's as well. They are pretty late already in updating it, so I would be hoping it's here long before May.

I also hope the styling mimicks the Imac, with the nice black and silver combination. As thin as Air is, I think I prefer Wired's version to the official one.

photon
01-16-2008, 11:03 AM
http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/SalesClearance(ME)/PartnerPages(ME)/ASUSEeePC(ME)/Default.aspx (http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/SalesClearance%28ME%29/PartnerPages%28ME%29/ASUSEeePC%28ME%29/Default.aspx)

I'm really interested to hear from someone how well these things work. My wife spends about 90% of her time on the laptop surfing the web (gmail, facebook, online banking). I think something like this would work pretty well for her. Maybe your wife too?

She actually does work on her computer so that's pretty much out of the question.

Though I would like one for myself! :D

fredr123
01-16-2008, 11:33 AM
She actually does work on her computer so that's pretty much out of the question.

Though I would like one for myself! :D

I'm thinking it would be ideal for logging into your home media server from the comfort of your couch. You could start torrents, organize your media library and serve up the latest ep of BSG etc.

Or surf the game thread without melting your junk with a hot laptop.

Burninator
01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
Wow that thing is cool. If I had a need for a laptop I would buy one of these. Small, light and simple. Although not that cheap.

StrayBullet
01-18-2008, 09:24 AM
One USB port. No CD/DVD drive. Functionality does not work for me. Really ckufing cool, though!

algernon
01-21-2008, 09:33 AM
OK, so I preordered one... I'm not too worried about the lack of Optical Drive, As I mostly Surf and bought the superdrive anyway... Can't I buy an 'extension cord' type dealy to increase the number of USB's?

Flaming Choy
01-21-2008, 09:39 AM
OK, so I preordered one... I'm not too worried about the lack of Optical Drive, As I mostly Surf and bought the superdrive anyway... Can't I buy an 'extension cord' type dealy to increase the number of USB's?

Yes, i'm pretty sure you can get a usb hub for it; very cheap too.

Seems sorta counter intutive to have an ultra-portable laptop that requires you to carry around all these adaptors, but it does look amazing.

Kipru
01-21-2008, 10:12 AM
I found this totally unbiased review from the net. Seems pretty cool, I can't wait to purchase it. It will match well with my beret and iphone.

http://www.riemurasia.net/jylppy/bigone.php?id=27259&full=1

Neeper
01-21-2008, 12:06 PM
Once you go Mac, you never go back! ;)
True dat!
I switched just a little over a year ago. I have a MBP and the new iMac. I love them both. I never have any problems with them. Everything just works, all the time.

I-Hate-Hulse
01-26-2008, 11:29 PM
- battery is not replaceable (like iPods) so you won't be able to carry an extra battery with you or swap in a new one when the original battery inevitably starts to fail;

Ouch - what could have been something quite useful for the road warrior who actually uses it a lot in a day is whacked in the knees by this. In my consulting days I'd torch a lithium ion battery to a 1 hr life in a year with some way serious usage on a combination of AC/battery and deep cycle charges at random. $129 + downtime to fix?

I'm sure they'll change this in the next version, just like they did in the iPod. Oh wait....

It's a pretty computer though.

Kipru
01-27-2008, 02:20 AM
I really can't figure it out why would you Mac-people buy much more expensive and technically inferior equipment than most of the PC's. Is it really about standing out from the crowd? Do you really need that half an inch somewhere what you can save from the laptop thickness? Seems like great hoax to me.

But then again, I can't understand most of the things happening these days. Men wearing makeup, Finnish people drinking red wine, Kiprusoff sucking and people listening to Rap and techno. It's like we are living in a upside-down world.