PDA

View Full Version : Ipod Touch or Nokia N810/800

Indi
01-10-2008, 03:39 PM
does anyone have any of these fancy little guys? I travel alot, and I am getting sick of lugging my laptop around. I am looking for something that I can grab a wireless signal with to check email, surf CP etc.
I was leaning towards the new Nokia N810, but I cant find any land based retailers in calgary, only Dell.ca...but seeing as l leave for work on Monday, I cant wait for shipping.....does any body have the ipod touch? Whats it like??

thanks

metallicat
01-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I bought an N810 last month after seeing a friends N800. I love it for what it is. I use it for the Internet around the house, and I take it to work with me to play around with when I have some free time there. Of course, you need a wireless signal to get on the net, but those are becoming more and more common. The N810 is nice because of the sliding keyboard. It is a little difficult to use because the keys are a little small and a little too close together.

The GPS leaves a lot to be desired though. It takes quite a while to get connected, and unless you pay for the full package, you can't do a lot besides track your position. No trip directions, stuff like that.

Overall I'm very happy with it. I bought mine off of eBay. I can't compare it to a Touch either, I don't have one.

Kipper is King
01-10-2008, 06:59 PM
I have an ipod touch!

You think surfing the web with a tiny little screen like that would be difficult. To my surprise, the ipod touch handles the Internet pretty smoothly, and fast. It also sniffs out wifi (b and g) signals very well. Surfing the web is a breeze with it.

The downsides come with battery life, and email. The battery life of the ipod touch while using wifi does not go more than a few hours. And, it doesn't have the built in email program the iphone does, so you have to use web based email, which is a little tedious.

All things considered, the ipod touch is great for quickly surfing the web, but it also does a spectacular job of music and video.

MarchHare
01-10-2008, 08:54 PM
And, it doesn't have the built in email program the iphone does, so you have to use web based email, which is a little tedious.

I know Google makes an app for Blackberries to give them Gmail access. I wonder if they make a similar app for iPhone/iPod Touch.

Flaming Choy
01-11-2008, 04:00 PM
I have an ipod touch!

And, it doesn't have the built in email program the iphone does, so you have to use web based email, which is a little tedious.

Although not ideal for some people, you can hack your ipod to add additional apps (like all the iphone applictions), making mail, maps, nes emulators possible

Flames09
01-14-2008, 03:54 PM
HTC Touch... best phone.

hatty
01-14-2008, 04:00 PM
i'm not 100% accurate on this, but i know a friend jail broke (its what he called it) his ipod touch and added applications, so i think you might be able to do the same and add email programs like gmail if they're offered. something to look into maybe