PDA

View Full Version : Solar System May Be Unique In Universe

Cowperson
08-06-2004, 09:27 AM
In a theory I can see being shot down pretty quickly, some scientists are offering an explanation as to why our solar system might be unique in the Universe.

I wonder if these guys know the Universe is a BIG place and basing their conclusions on humanity's few crude observations to date is probably a stretch.

Are We Alone? (http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/3532440.stm)

Cowperson

Maritime Q-Scout
08-06-2004, 09:45 AM
interesting read

I must admit I have alot of respect for anyone that presents a theory like that, gets news attention, and points out the flaws themself. Classy IMO.

troutman
08-06-2004, 10:00 AM
I'd be very skeptical that our solar system is unique. There is something like 100 billion solar systems in our galaxy, and maybe 100 billion galaxies (say this in you best Carl Sagan voice).

We have already discovered at least 100 new planets outside our solar system, and we are even close to discovering far away earth-sized planets.

More about extra-solar planets:

http://www.planetary.org/extrasolar/index.html

Today, slightly more than 100 planets have been discovered and generally accepted by the astronomical community. None of them is anything like the Earth, with most of them gas giants like Jupiter, orbiting very close to their stars on highly eccentric orbits. This is largely because such planets are the easiest to detect with the discovery methods currently used. But gradually smaller and smaller planets are found, and longer and more circular planetary orbits are detected. All indications are that within the next few decades scientists will know with some confidence what types of planets are out there, and whether our own Solar System is a commonplace or an aberration

I-Hate-Hulse
08-06-2004, 10:17 AM
I always like the lottery example when thinking about the possibility of other intelligent life in the universe.

Even though the odds seem impossible of winning a jackpot, someone always does.

So somewhere out there, despite how big this universe is, why not?

octothorp
08-06-2004, 11:05 AM
I'd just like to point out that the lead scientist here is Dr Beer.

What saintly deeds does one have to accomplish in a previous life in order to get reincarnated as a guy who's named after an alocholic beverage?