PDA

View Full Version : Telus has an unlimited data plan for $15/mo

Neeper
01-05-2008, 01:52 PM
I just got a hardware upgrade a couple days ago with Telus. Telus is offering a $15/mo unlimited data plan with their Blackberry Pearl or the HTC phones. This is a huge step in my opinion. I don't see Rogers offering anything even close to this. Rogers has a $15 unlimited email plan, but you can't use it to browse or download.

I thought it was way too good to be true, so I called Telus to confirm. I can now use google maps with GPS on the Blackberry without any hesitations.

photon
01-05-2008, 02:23 PM
But then I gotta switch to Telus :(

I hope that Rogers and/or Fido come up with something similar soon.

GreenTeaFrapp
01-05-2008, 02:59 PM
They are only doing it because Bell has a $7 plan for the HTC Touch.

metallicat
01-05-2008, 03:00 PM
Does this mean that I could take a device that has Bluetooth, connect to the Internet through my phone on it, and browse until my heart is content for 15 bucks a month, nothing more?

Neeper
01-05-2008, 03:18 PM
Does this mean that I could take a device that has Bluetooth, connect to the Internet through my phone on it, and browse until my heart is content for 15 bucks a month, nothing more?

You have to use your browser on your handheld. Unless you want an $85000 phone bill.

metallicat
01-05-2008, 06:41 PM
You have to use your browser on your handheld. Unless you want an $85000 phone bill.I heard about that, but thought he got hit because he didn't have an unlimited plan.

GoinAllTheWay
01-05-2008, 07:40 PM
I heard about that, but thought he got hit because he didn't have an unlimited plan.

He got hit because he was an idiot.

Winsor_Pilates
01-05-2008, 07:48 PM
That's crazy! I just got a rogers add for the $15 unlimited email. $15 for full data is really cheep. I'm skeptical.

alltherage
01-06-2008, 02:21 PM
My buddy got burned by this so watch out. I think they say "unlimited" but they mean something like 50mbs/month. I know because he used his BlackBerry as a modem for his laptop when his internet was down and got a massive bill for it. Obviously he argued his case and whatnot and got it removed but ya... read the fine print.

HOOT
01-06-2008, 02:33 PM
That's crazy! I just got a rogers add for the $15 unlimited email. $15 for full data is really cheep. I'm skeptical.

Don't be! I just spoke to a rep at Telus I know and she confirmed that it is true. Don't use it for GPS (google maps is different) or through your laptop because that is not included.

It can be added on to HTC S720, Pearl 2 & HTC Touch.

I think that telecom comanies in Canada are finnally done raping people on data charges!!! YAY!

Neeper
01-07-2008, 12:58 AM
Don't be! I just spoke to a rep at Telus I know and she confirmed that it is true. Don't use it for GPS (google maps is different) or through your laptop because that is not included.

It can be added on to HTC S720, Pearl 2 & HTC Touch.

I think that telecom companies in Canada are finnally done raping people on data charges!!! YAY!
Exactly. Telus has it's own GPS subscription program that's $10 a month. Blackberry comes with a GPS program anyways and you can d/l google maps for free, I used it today, it was pretty cool. It's data intensive but who cares!! As long as you are using data through your berry or an HTC to DISPLAY on your mobile, you're all good. It's pretty simple. Don't use it as a modem. The Telus network, I was told, can't not separate email data from web browsing data or even downloading data. Roger's GSM can, but not Telus' EVDO. This is what I was told by the Telus rep.

Don't be skeptical. It's real. I asked about every possible detail. Of course if I get a $2000 phone bill my opinion might change :blink:

Winsor_Pilates
01-07-2008, 03:18 PM
Why is it not advertised? I've been trying to find something in writing about this and can't. Still skeptical.
I don't see how/why they would make such a dramatic change to data plans and it wouldn't even be advertised, make the news or anything. This should be huge news! we're taking of a price drop of hundreds of dollars a month.
The most significant rate change in Canadian mobile history and it's not even on the website?

edit: rates on telus website
http://www.telusmobility.com/bc/plans/pcs/email_all.shtml
This smells like Nylander to Edmonton. don't get too excited guys.

ken0042
01-07-2008, 04:26 PM
If anybody signs up for this, I would recommend getting the CSR to email you confirmation of the plan.

That way you have it in writting before you even get off the phone with them.

Had to do that with Bell once.

InSutterWeTrust
01-07-2008, 04:35 PM
I was in the Telus store yesturday in Sunridge and they had a sign up above all their Smart Phones saying Unlimited Email $15 a month.
Also found a link on Rogers website saying what they include for $15 a month
http://your.rogers.com/store/wireless/services/personalemail.asp

GreenTeaFrapp
01-07-2008, 05:44 PM
Why is it not advertised? I've been trying to find something in writing about this and can't. Still skeptical.
I don't see how/why they would make such a dramatic change to data plans and it wouldn't even be advertised, make the news or anything. This should be huge news! we're taking of a price drop of hundreds of dollars a month.
The most significant rate change in Canadian mobile history and it's not even on the website?

It's not the most significant rate change in Canadian mobile history. I've already stated that Bell is offering unlimited data for $7 a month on some phones including the HTC Touch. It's on Bell's website as an option called Unlimited Mobile Browser.

My wife got her HTC Touch last month and today she received her first bill with all her mobile browsing included in the $7/month option.

FireFly
01-07-2008, 06:37 PM
It's been updated to cover ALL data devices, but the email is only included if it's a POP3 account.

I_H8_Crawford
01-07-2008, 07:35 PM
It's not the most significant rate change in Canadian mobile history. I've already stated that Bell is offering unlimited data for $7 a month on some phones including the HTC Touch. It's on Bell's website as an option called Unlimited Mobile Browser.

My wife got her HTC Touch last month and today she received her first bill with all her mobile browsing included in the $7/month option.
The Bell plan ONLY works on the HTC Touch... any of their other phones and you get unlimited data inside their walled garden (i.e. the 20 "approved" sites by Bell) if you go outside of those sites they nail you with $0.05/kB.

Virgin Mobile also has an unlimited data plan on pre-paid - $10 for unlimited data on their Samsung M510 phone.

Hack&Lube
01-07-2008, 08:09 PM
Wow unlimited data!

Beats the crap Rogers has...like $80 month for like 20 megabytes or something.

Barnes
01-07-2008, 08:18 PM
Are Bell and Telus making a preemptive strike against Rogers because the iPhone is coming sooner then we think?

FlamesFanInEdm
01-07-2008, 08:18 PM
The Bell plan ONLY works on the HTC Touch... any of their other phones and you get unlimited data inside their walled garden (i.e. the 20 "approved" sites by Bell) if you go outside of those sites they nail you with $0.05/kB.

Virgin Mobile also has an unlimited data plan on pre-paid - $10 for unlimited data on their Samsung M510 phone.

I have a Samsung a920, not a smartphone, but I can use it to go anywhere on the internet under the $7/month fee as well. There are no limitations to "20 approved sites" or anything like that. Ive downloaded and used applications like google maps as well and they were included in this $7 deal too.
________
Chrysler ap3 hearse built by r.f.weber (australia) history (http://www.dodge-wiki.com/wiki/Chrysler_AP3_Hearse_Built_by_R.F.Weber_(Australia) )

FireFly
01-08-2008, 12:04 AM
Are Bell and Telus making a preemptive strike against Rogers because the iPhone is coming sooner then we think?

I don't know. Has it been a year since the iPhone was launched? Really, can't most data devices do what the iPhone does but without the forced us of everything i?

Barnes
01-08-2008, 07:55 AM
I don't know. Has it been a year since the iPhone was launched? Really, can't most data devices do what the iPhone does but without the forced us of everything i?

Yeah and more but nobody's done it as well as Apple. It's fun to watch blackberry experts use it and discover things on their own.

If the plan is for specific Blackberry phones, maybe RIM is subsidizing the @$#%ers in order to get prices lower. God knows they can't do it on their own.