PDA

View Full Version : Message Board Sued, Watch Out Bingo.

Cowperson
08-05-2004, 09:20 PM
It will be an interesting case to watch.

I'm no lawyer but I would say a few things stick out.

It sounds like this lawyer was there under a username but his real name and profession were quickly exposed and then openly slandered in a very direct way.

That's a bit different than what we might see here NORMALLY where we call each other idiots over topics unrelated to our lives and do so generally under user handles with our identities typically never referred to even if they are known.

Don't know if he'll be successful or not but it bears watching.

My thoughts.

Cowperson

Resolute 14
08-06-2004, 08:33 AM
Originally posted by Cowperson@Aug 6 2004, 03:20 AM
It sounds like this lawyer was there under a username but his real name and profession were quickly exposed and then openly slandered in a very direct way.

That's a bit different than what we might see here NORMALLY where we call each other idiots over topics unrelated to our lives and do so generally under user handles with our identities typically never referred to even if they are known.

Given Mr. Galton posted under the screenname "stephengalton", he didnt exactly make it difficult for people to identify who he was.

I wonder if this guy sued his elementary school bullies who insulted him when he was growing up?

troutman
08-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Be nice to lawyers! ;)

Fuzzy McGillicuddy
08-06-2004, 09:03 AM
I think more message boards could stand to implement some of the controls dealing with decorum witnessed at CP.

Often, spineless message posters on these various sites can hide behind their anonymity while practicing a scorched earth policy with their rebuttal.

Not to say we discourage opposing viewpoints. But it is because this site enforces some degree of civility that many of us continue to return.

Cube Inmate
08-07-2004, 03:21 AM
I propose a new way of resolving lawsuits:

1) You launch a suit and win, and you get the money
2) You launch a suit and lose, and you get shot

Many problems solved :wacko:

PS: I agree with Fotze...I miss the old smileys! Especially the dead-looking guy with the x-d out eyes and green face!