PDA

View Full Version : CFL ahead of NHL in America

calgaryred
11-20-2004, 03:18 PM
The CFL for the first time is being shown in 50% percent of american homes, in Europe and the middle east. So far CFL seems to get more interest from our americian brothers than the NHL.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/Art...Sports/Football (http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/ArticleNews/TPStory/LAC/20041120/CFLNOTES20-5/TPSports/Football)

Thunderball
11-21-2004, 02:08 AM
I think this is a sign to consider capitalizing on this market growth and planting a couple teams in the Northern US.

the lockout sucks
11-21-2004, 03:23 AM
Originally posted by Thunderball@Nov 21 2004, 02:08 AM
I think this is a sign to consider capitalizing on this market growth and planting a couple teams in the Northern US.
No, that's a horrible idea.

calf
11-21-2004, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by Thunderball@Nov 21 2004, 03:08 AM
nope.

They're going to add a team in Eastern Canada, and try to get a better TV deal down south me thinks. CFL in the US won't work again.

Thunderball
11-21-2004, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by calf+Nov 21 2004, 09:34 AM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calf @ Nov 21 2004, 09:34 AM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Thunderball@Nov 21 2004, 03:08 AM
nope.

They're going to add a team in Eastern Canada, and try to get a better TV deal down south me thinks. CFL in the US won't work again. [/b][/quote]
To get a better US TV deal, you're gonna need a US franchise or two... and it can work, it needs to be smart expansion.

I mean, a 9 team league is not fun or logical... boosting it up to 12 should be a priority, and lets face it, there aren't many more good Canadian markets... I'd say there's only one left, and thats Quebec City. After that, we have to look slightly south.

calf
11-21-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by Thunderball+Nov 21 2004, 12:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunderball @ Nov 21 2004, 12:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by calf@Nov 21 2004, 09:34 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Thunderball@Nov 21 2004, 03:08 AM
nope.

They're going to add a team in Eastern Canada, and try to get a better TV deal down south me thinks. CFL in the US won't work again.
To get a better US TV deal, you're gonna need a US franchise or two... and it can work, it needs to be smart expansion.

I mean, a 9 team league is not fun or logical... boosting it up to 12 should be a priority, and lets face it, there aren't many more good Canadian markets... I'd say there's only one left, and thats Quebec City. After that, we have to look slightly south. [/b][/quote]
fair enough...but rightly or wrongly, the idea of US expansion just makes me sick. If it's done smartly, sure it would work, but there's also the problem with talent dilution etc (are the US teams going to have to use the ratio rule this time? etc). Yeah, a 9 team league doesn't make much sense...which is why Comissioner Wright is trying to get a 10th by 2008 - and since they're taking their time, it looks like they're really doing their homework to get it done right.

I'd say any maritime city (namely Halifax) would be a good choice. I believe they have a stadium, or could expand one of the university ones. Having a CFL team could potentially hurt a CIS team, but it could also rejuvinate football fans in the area.

I made a mistake when saying they should get a better US tv deal, as I believe it was for this season they got a pretty damn good one where they're being shown on MSG Network and ESPN2...as well as games being shown in 196(ish) countries.

Sylvanfan
11-21-2004, 11:43 AM
Originally posted by Thunderball+Nov 21 2004, 06:27 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Thunderball @ Nov 21 2004, 06:27 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> Originally posted by calf@Nov 21 2004, 09:34 AM
<!--QuoteBegin-Thunderball@Nov 21 2004, 03:08 AM
nope.

I mean, a 9 team league is not fun or logical... boosting it up to 12 should be a priority, and lets face it, there aren't many more good Canadian markets... I'd say there's only one left, and thats Quebec City. After that, we have to look slightly south. [/b][/quote]
I think Halifax could be a good market, just like Quebec City is. The problem is the lack of stadiums in those two cities. Being as football appeals to Americans more than hockey this is not entirely surprising. I must admit that ever since Flutie went back to the NFL and had some success, and complemented the CFL as opposed to bad mouthing it the league has turned around. Once Jeff Garcia followed him and also had some success, I think a lot of Americans realized that the calibre of Football is actually pretty good despite the goofy rules to them. I'll always have respect for Doug Flutie because of how he didn't belittle the CFL and complain that NFL teams screwed up by not giving him a chance.

Thunderball
11-21-2004, 02:29 PM
Halifax COULD be a good market... but so could Lethbridge when you look at the economics of it.

Halifax has 350k, which is around the same size as the market Saskatchewan claims to have. Difference is, Halifax is located in a poor part of Canada, and don't have money to spare funding a new stadium, and I'd personally be outraged if they were able to build one with them receiving transfer payments from Alberta.

Plus, if you look at the per capita income before tax... the average Saskatchewan fan makes $653/week, in Nova Scotia, its $618/week... that $35-40 is about the difference of buying a ticket to a CFL game... comparatively Ontario and Alberta are both about $734/week, and Quebecers make $657. (Statistics Canada)

Factor in taxation rates, and Halifax becomes unviable, unless the CFL became a TV revenue league, which is wishful at best.

calf
11-21-2004, 02:59 PM
Originally posted by Thunderball@Nov 21 2004, 03:29 PM
Halifax COULD be a good market... but so could Lethbridge when you look at the economics of it.

Halifax has 350k, which is around the same size as the market Saskatchewan claims to have. Difference is, Halifax is located in a poor part of Canada, and don't have money to spare funding a new stadium, and I'd personally be outraged if they were able to build one with them receiving transfer payments from Alberta.

Plus, if you look at the per capita income before tax... the average Saskatchewan fan makes $653/week, in Nova Scotia, its $618/week... that $35-40 is about the difference of buying a ticket to a CFL game... comparatively Ontario and Alberta are both about $734/week, and Quebecers make $657. (Statistics Canada)

Factor in taxation rates, and Halifax becomes unviable, unless the CFL became a TV revenue league, which is wishful at best.
Regina has a population of around 350k, but you also have fans coming from all around the province to go see games (for instance, my brother spent the summer in Saskatoon, and you could tell when there was a 'riders game because there'd be convoys of busses heading south). I would be willing to bet that there'd be people from around the maritimes making the trip to Halifax to take in a CFL game (maybe not all fans all the time, but I'm sure there will be a bunch from Sydney, Moncton etc making the trip). Plus, the CFL will/is doing their homework and will find an owner that could put up the cash to get a team/stadium going, should Halifax be chosen. I too would be outraged if transfer payments went to paying for a stadium. I think the CFL will have a better idea as to where a team will work than the two of us, and will make a decision they see as viable

And you're looking at the $35-40 per week, equating it to one ticket...however, there's only 10 games a season...definately something an average fan can work around

Thunderball
11-21-2004, 04:10 PM
I think we can both agree that there at least better be some experts working for the CFL better suited than us.

My point with the economics is that that $35-40/week could make a big difference, whether or not it does depends on the family, but my point is that the average Saskatchewan fan has $35-40/week and $140-160/month that people in Nova Scotia don't have.

I think everyone who supports a 10th Canadian franchise should hitch their wagon to Quebec City though... seems the most CFL ready.

zarrell
11-21-2004, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by Thunderball@Nov 21 2004, 02:08 AM
Boooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo :tdown:

Bench Warmer
11-21-2004, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by calf+Nov 21 2004, 09:59 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (calf @ Nov 21 2004, 09:59 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Thunderball@Nov 21 2004, 03:29 PM

Regina has a population of around 350k, but you also have fans coming from all around the province to go see games (for instance, my brother spent the summer in Saskatoon, and you could tell when there was a 'riders game because there'd be convoys of busses heading south). I would be willing to bet that there'd be people from around the maritimes making the trip to Halifax to take in a CFL game (maybe not all fans all the time, but I'm sure there will be a bunch from Sydney, Moncton etc making the trip). Plus, the CFL will/is doing their homework and will find an owner that could put up the cash to get a team/stadium going, should Halifax be chosen. I too would be outraged if transfer payments went to paying for a stadium. I think the CFL will have a better idea as to where a team will work than the two of us, and will make a decision they see as viable

And you're looking at the $35-40 per week, equating it to one ticket...however, there's only 10 games a season...definately something an average fan can work around [/b][/quote]
Actually, Regina's population is just under 200K; Saskatoon just over 200K. I think Halifax could support a team, Quebec too. Either city would be great it's neither of them has close to a suitable stadium. That's the main holdup on expansion to either of those two cities.

And I would say no more expansion to the US. I don't think the interest/support is there and the American teams will bring up the same complaints - don't want the player ratio, the CFL season is played too early in the year, etc, etc - no thank you.