PDA

View Full Version : Show me the Money!

Homer_J
11-17-2004, 02:22 PM
I didn't see this anywhere else on the board, but Pedro Martinez met with the enemy yesterday to discuss playing in New York even though Boston has reportedly offered him a pretty generous contract. The guy's already loaded. Wouldn't this would just prove that Pedro's all about the $$$, and has no sense of loyalty? Can you imagine if Iginla signed with the Canucks this summer after their heated playoff battle? I thought the Yankee's/BoSox were one of the most heated rivalries in sports. This just doesn't make sense to me.

Pedro Meets with Steinbrenner (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=104878)

JiriHrdina
11-17-2004, 02:49 PM
A professional athlete all about the money? Well, I for one am shocked.

Really though Pedro seems to really enjoy the atmosphere of Yankee Stadium. It is the biggest stage on baseball. Wouldn't surprise me at all for him to sign there.

nfotiu
11-17-2004, 02:51 PM
Originally posted by Homer_J@Nov 17 2004, 09:22 PM
I didn't see this anywhere else on the board, but Pedro Martinez met with the enemy yesterday to discuss playing in New York even though Boston has reportedly offered him a pretty generous contract. The guy's already loaded. Wouldn't this would just prove that Pedro's all about the $$$, and has no sense of loyalty? Can you imagine if Iginla signed with the Canucks this summer after their heated playoff battle? I thought the Yankee's/BoSox were one of the most heated rivalries in sports. This just doesn't make sense to me.

Pedro Meets with Steinbrenner (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=104878)
It would be about a thousand times worse than Iginla going to the Canucks. Hopefully it is just a negotiation ploy. It would be like Gretzky or Messier going to the Flames, or Lanny going to the Oilers in the 80s.

I don't think Iginla would actually have much of a problem siging as a free agent with the Canucks.

Homer_J
11-17-2004, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by nfotiu@Nov 17 2004, 09:51 PM
It would be about a thousand times worse than Iginla going to the Canucks. Hopefully it is just a negotiation ploy. It would be like Gretzky or Messier going to the Flames, or Lanny going to the Oilers in the 80s.

I don't think Iginla would actually have much of a problem siging as a free agent with the Canucks.
I used this comparison because the Flames & Canucks, like the Yanks & Sox, battled it out in the playoffs this year. How could you sign with a team you just went to war against? Like Commodore's quote where he wanted to tell the Canucks "I hate you" when they were shaking hands after their series(someone has the actual quote as their sig). To have a such a strong hatred for a team and then consider joining them just baffles me.

The Canucks and Flames history and rivalry doesn't compare to that of the Yankee's and BoSox however. I agree it would be far worse.

habernac
11-17-2004, 03:50 PM
I'd love to see it happen. Pedro loses 20 games because he can't win at Yankee Stadium....

:D

I_H8_Crawford
11-17-2004, 06:54 PM
I think it would suck because then we wouldn't hear that great "Who's your daddy" chant everytime Pedro pitches there. :)

kipperfan
11-17-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by nfotiu@Nov 17 2004, 09:51 PM
Yeah???

And where per say did you get that one??

Source? Link? I think not.

dangler22
11-17-2004, 09:53 PM
why would he need a link? Don't kid yourself about Iggy you could be setting yourself up for major dissapointment. I doubt Iggy will be a lifelong Flame. If he got a better offer who could blame him for leaving. Very few players stay with teams out of loyalty. Iggy hasn't done a thing to prove he is any different.

northernflame
11-30-2004, 10:47 AM
Pedro meets with the Mets as well:

http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/30/sports/b...all/30mets.html (http://www.nytimes.com/2004/11/30/sports/baseball/30mets.html)

You may have to register to read.

nfotiu
12-09-2004, 08:22 AM
Looks like this was all a bargaining ploy, as all signs are pointing towards Pedro signing back with the Red Sox. It sounds like his intentions were to stay all along as well.