PDA

View Full Version : Vlad named AL MVP

JiriHrdina
11-16-2004, 12:24 PM
Although I think he's deserved of the award my first choice would have probably been Sheffield.

Link (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=104856)

moon
11-16-2004, 12:38 PM
I think it was the right choice. I think Sheffield, Ortiz and Ramirez all had good seasons, but Vlad was able to carry the Angels over the last half of the season into the play-offs.

nfotiu
11-16-2004, 01:34 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Nov 16 2004, 07:24 PM
Although I think he's deserved of the award my first choice would have probably been Sheffield.

Link (http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=104856)
I'm sorry man, but are you on glue?

OFFENCE
AVG
Vlad(3) .337
Shef(30) .290

SLG
Vlad(3) .598
Shef(12) .534

OPS
Vlad(3) .989
Shef(7) .927

RBI
Vlad(4) 126
Shef(5) 121

R
Vlad (1) 127
Shef (3) 124

SB
Vlad (24) 15
Shef(73) 5

HR
Vlad(4) 39
Shef(6) 36

Vlad is better in every offensive category

DEFENSE
Edge Vlad this year. Shef's defence was suffering due to his shoulder. Vlad beats Shef in every defensive statistical category except he has 9 errors compared to Shef's 5.

INTANGIBLES
Vlad single-handedly carried his team to the playoffs in the final stretch. While Shef was admitting to using illegal steroid and telling Pedro Martinez he is going to kill him.

Care to give any justification on how sheffield should have won? Manny Ramirez had better offensive numbers than Vlad and deserves more consideration than Shef.

JiriHrdina
11-16-2004, 04:23 PM
Well first I didn't say Vlad was a bad choice, just that I thought Sheffield would be my first choice. Sheffield consistently made big plays and got big hits all year long for the Yankees - particularly down the stretch. Who meant more to their team...Vlad or Sheffield? Tough to say but I think an argument can be made the Sheff had as much to do with the Yankee's success that Vlad did for the Angels. Just my 2 cents on it. Certainly the fact that Sheffield was second in the race would suggest that not everyone disagrees with me.

albertGQ
11-16-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Nov 16 2004, 04:23 PM
Well first I didn't say Vlad was a bad choice, just that I thought Sheffield would be my first choice. Sheffield consistently made big plays and got big hits all year long for the Yankees - particularly down the stretch. Who meant more to their team...Vlad or Sheffield? Tough to say but I think an argument can be made the Sheff had as much to do with the Yankee's success that Vlad did for the Angels. Just my 2 cents on it. Certainly the fact that Sheffield was second in the race would suggest that not everyone disagrees with me.
I would say Vlad meant more to his team then Shef did

Sylvanfan
11-16-2004, 06:23 PM
Are the runs scored a typo? Last I knew 127 beats 124. Than again the world does change so bloody fast these days :lol:

Vlad is the right choice. He's also a RF which is a more difficult position than Left Field. Vladdy makes errors because he tries throws that other guys can't make.

ooogabooga
11-16-2004, 10:37 PM
sheffield played right field too, but i would of personally choose vlad myself for mvp so i can't really say anything else

nfotiu
11-17-2004, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by Sylvanfan@Nov 17 2004, 01:23 AM
Are the runs scored a typo? Last I knew 127 beats 124. Than again the world does change so bloody fast these days :lol:

Vlad is the right choice. He's also a RF which is a more difficult position than Left Field. Vladdy makes errors because he tries throws that other guys can't make.
Sorry, should have said Vlad 127 Shef 124

nfotiu
11-17-2004, 07:42 AM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Nov 16 2004, 11:23 PM
Certainly the fact that Sheffield was second in the race would suggest that not everyone disagrees with me.
Yeah, probably all New York media who picked him number 1. Manny actually got more 2nd place votes than Sheffield.

moon
11-17-2004, 12:02 PM
I think Sheffield or Ortiz certainly deserved to be second. Surprised Manny would have recieved so many votes. He is a great offensive player but with his attitude and fielding I think he is definately fourth this year behind Vlad, Shef and Ortiz.

Sylvanfan
11-19-2004, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by moon@Nov 17 2004, 07:02 PM
I think Sheffield or Ortiz certainly deserved to be second. Surprised Manny would have recieved so many votes. He is a great offensive player but with his attitude and fielding I think he is definately fourth this year behind Vlad, Shef and Ortiz.
I hear what you're saying Moon, but how can you criticize Manny's D when Oriz is considered such a liability that he hass to be the DH on the same team. I mean you could say Manny is thrown out in the field so that the Sox don't have to use Ortiz out there. You could also say the BoSox thought Oritz's defence was so bad that they got two guys to play firts base in front of him! If postseason is taken into consideration though, Ortiz wins it hands down.