PDA

View Full Version : Ed Whalen - Ring a Ding Dong Dandy!

Flashpoint
10-01-2007, 08:55 AM
In celebration of the upcoming Flames season, I wanted to share the wav file I will be using for my ringtone this season. I figured some of you might want to use it as well.

(You can probably guess what it is from the subject heading).

Download it here:
http://www.mediafire.com/?4xtj9uzxm6v

As to where it came from - last week there was a thread about Sports at 11:00, and there were links posted to the final episode on Youtube. I had a friend (Stickman, thanks!) take the audio from about 4:30 in the 4th vid and convert it to a wav.

As a side note, if anyone knows where I might find "Malfunction at the Junction", I'd appreciate it.

Cheers!

FanIn80
10-01-2007, 09:16 AM
Awesome, man! Thanks! :D

the crispy badger
10-01-2007, 09:39 AM
wow..this sounds like Ed Whalen had a few too many whiskey shots.

The Bismarck
10-01-2007, 09:43 AM
I have the Canucks vs Flames, Easter Sunday 1997 (5-2 Canucks win) on video tape. Whalin says "And Da Flamz...." at least 12 times :blink:

Hack&Lube
10-01-2007, 09:43 AM
It's strange that there's probably a whole generation of Flames fans now who have no idea who Ed Whalen is.

the crispy badger
10-01-2007, 09:52 AM
It's strange that there's probably a whole generation of Flames fans now who have no idea who Ed Whalen is.

Growing up in the 80's in Calgary Ed was someone you couldn't get away from if you were a sports fan...it's truly a shame that the younger generation will never have a chance to hear his larger then life voice and personality.

foofighter15
10-01-2007, 09:55 AM
if i want to use that I need to connect my phone to my computer and load it that way right?

Flashpoint
10-01-2007, 10:03 AM
Growing up in the 80's in Calgary Ed was someone you couldn't get away from if you were a sports fan...it's truly a shame that the younger generation will never have a chance to hear his larger then life voice and personality.

To me, he was sort of like that black sheep uncle every family has. A bit of a mess, but always a lot of fun to be around.

"FLEURINDYK HITS THE POST! Who WAS that?"

I remember growing up when 2&7 was all there was for hockey during the regular season and waiting with great anticipation for "Hello, hockey fans!" every October. I really miss that. Ed had so much enthusiasm for the game, and for the city of Calgary. He was an icon.

I guess it was just because it was part of my childhood, and it reminds me of the 80's glory days where every year we had a shot at the cup.

He wasn't the best hockey announcer out there, but he's still my favorite so far.

Flashpoint
10-01-2007, 10:05 AM
if i want to use that I need to connect my phone to my computer and load it that way right?

Yeah, that is the most likely way. Consult your user manual, and it should tell you how to do "custom ring tones" or "user ring tones". If you don't have the manual, go the manufacturers webpage, and you can probably download the PDF version, or call their tech support number.

Aeneas
10-01-2007, 10:09 AM
Favorite Whelan quotes:

(during fight between Tim Hunter and Don Jackson) "...well, one does not want to condone fighting in the game of hock...OH WHAT A PUNCH BY HUNTER!!"

(another fight) "there's a fight...it's Loob, Hakan Loob is really throwing punches, LOOB IS REALLY...oh it's Hunter."

daredevil
10-01-2007, 10:19 AM
Who used to do color with Ed on 2&7 again?
I know Grant Pollock did the intermission stuff.

West Karma
10-01-2007, 10:29 AM
nm

killer_carlson
10-01-2007, 10:45 AM
I still think the new children's hospital should be the Ed Whalen Children's Hospital.

Ed Whalen was something of an institution. He did:

Flames play by play
Host of Spelling Bee, for elementary school students in the Calgary area
Play by Play of Stampede Wrestling
Host and huge proponent of Children's Miracle Network Telethon.

and he had a toupe'.

Flashpoint
10-01-2007, 10:56 AM
I still think the new children's hospital should be the Ed Whalen Children's Hospital.

Ed Whalen was something of an institution. He did:

Flames play by play
Host of Spelling Bee, for elementary school students in the Calgary area
Play by Play of Stampede Wrestling
Host and huge proponent of Children's Miracle Network Telethon.

and he had a toupe'.

"In the meantime, and in-between time, that allllll for STAMPEEEED Wrestling!"

JD
10-01-2007, 11:02 AM
Same guys as now, really... John Garrett, Harry Neale, even Scotty Bowman was in there sometimes.

Can't remember if Jim Peplinski had any stints with Mr. Whalen, though...

EN FUEGO
10-01-2007, 11:03 AM
Ed was always a great guy to my family. My grandmother worked with Ed, and he was like a father to my dad. He'd let him hang out ringside at stampede wrestling, and used to take me and my friends back to the flames dressing room and broadcast booth when we were 7-10 years old. He'll always live on strong in my memory as well as many other's I'm sure.

Don Benji
10-01-2007, 12:21 PM
"In the meantime, and in-between time, that allllll for STAMPEEEED Wrestling!"

Haha. I loved that one too. I remember it slightly different though.
I thought he used to say, "In the mean time and inbetween time...that's it..another edition of Stampede Wrestling."
:D

Sport Psych
10-01-2007, 12:24 PM
I thought he used to say, "In the mean time and inbetween time...that's it..another edition of Stampede Wrestling."

That's the way I remember it too, Don.

socalwingfan
10-01-2007, 01:36 PM
I'm pretty sure that is what he said - I'd say 90% certain

4X4
10-01-2007, 01:46 PM
I remember shortly after he died, Eric Francis did a pretty funny article that had a whole list of Whalenisms. Maybe I'll poke around & see if there's a link to it.

Neeper
10-01-2007, 01:56 PM
Remembering Ed Whalen only brings a smile to my face. He's as much a part of my childhood as Transformers is. Its really too bad that there are many fans who will never know who he is. The man is a legend. I was so sad when he passed. Thanks for the ring tone! All my Flames fan friends will have this tone ring when they call me.

GreenTeaFrapp
10-01-2007, 02:15 PM

I remember it as "... another edition of TSN Wrestling." or " ... another edition of Pro Wrestling Plus".

hereandthere
10-01-2007, 06:32 PM
I grew up listening to Ed Whalen do Stampede Wrestling. He was what made the show. I loved it when he would come up to the bad guys and bluntly say to them that they cheated. Then there was Mr.Foley who always use to say in his British Accent, " We're having a party and your not invited." Ed Whelen would have a smirk on his face. One of those I don't want to go anyway looks on his face. Being that I lived in Northern Alberta I only saw Ed do a Flames game once and it was the very last one. They had the game on CKRD in Red Deer so I able to see it.

Hack&Lube
10-01-2007, 07:00 PM
Remembering Ed Whalen only brings a smile to my face. He's as much a part of my childhood as Transformers is. Its really too bad that there are many fans who will never know who he is. The man is a legend. I was so sad when he passed. Thanks for the ring tone! All my Flames fan friends will have this tone ring when they call me.

Growing up in Calgary...

Ed Whalen, Transformers, and BUCK SHOT!

greentree
10-01-2007, 08:13 PM
great memories, nice thread.
i loved his toupee tv commercial, he spun around on a chair, first he's bald, then by god he's got some nice hair!
ed whalen is still the man.

LouCypher
10-01-2007, 08:25 PM
Good ole Ed, whenever I get together with friends I havent seen in a while at least once throughout our drunken evening there will be a good Ed Whalen imitation that gets us all laughing. Only people who grew up with Ed will really get that, much like everyone above im sure.

Gord_Wappel
10-01-2007, 08:32 PM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ziv6MnVIRQg

Phanuthier
10-01-2007, 09:24 PM
I just caught the tail end of Ed Whalen's career, the first game I ever watched, Ed Whalen did play-by-play (Calgary 7, 7-2 win against Pheonix, Fleury had 2 goals and Tabaracci with the win). Ed Whalen, to this day, is still my favourite annoucer. RIP.

85albert
10-01-2007, 09:58 PM
"HE DID IT... 500!!".

Ed was greatness... I'm glad he got to call and see some of the greatest Flames moments leading up to the cup run in '89.

http://www.schnee.ca/images/r89_ed.JPG

Thanks for posting this wav/ring tone! brought back some great memories.

Dion
10-01-2007, 10:06 PM
Have fond memories of Ed Whalen and his TV broadcasts of the Flames. Every year he'd start the season with......"I've been waiting all summer to say this. Hello hockey fans!" Always provied great comentary.

Whalen and Stampede Wresting was another classic. "Until next time, aaaaaand in between time. That's it! Another edition of Stampede Wrestling." Or him walking out in the middle of a TV broadcast of Stampede Wrestling. IIRC it got to violent for his liking and he said he was done broadcasting wrestling events.

A very sad day when he passed on.

Flashpoint
10-02-2007, 08:17 AM
http://youtube.com/watch?v=ziv6MnVIRQg

Yer net human beby! Yer net human!

Hack&Lube
12-05-2021, 10:47 AM

I can't believe it's been 20 years. Does the broadcast booth still have his name on it? I wonder if it will be brought into the new arena.

Heavy Jack
12-05-2021, 10:52 AM
Such a legend, great bump H&L! We are super lucky as a franchise to have such great voices and pioneers of broadcasting associated to the Flames.

Jiri Hrdina
12-05-2021, 10:58 AM

I can't believe it's been 20 years. Does the broadcast booth still have his name on it? I wonder if it will be brought into the new arena.

It does.

Finger Cookin
12-05-2021, 11:18 AM

Probably a generation of CP members who have no idea who Ed Whalen is until this necrobump

GioforPM
12-05-2021, 11:40 AM
I would have invited Ed to my party, unlike JR Foley.

doncherry
12-05-2021, 11:43 AM
Let the good times roll Mr. Whalen……!

direwolf
12-05-2021, 11:44 AM
Used to love hearing him call Flames games on 2&7 when I was a kid.

Flames Fan, Ph.D.
12-05-2021, 12:17 PM
I loved seeing him occasionally chase away Bad News Brown or some of the other wrestlers out of the ring. They were tough guys during the post-match interview but when they got lippy Ed threatened them with a slap and they’d all dive out of the ring.

Locke
12-05-2021, 12:18 PM
Probably a generation of CP members who have no idea who Ed Whalen is until this necrobump

Yeah, its the same thing when kids wonder why we might be thrilled to be able to watch the Flames on TV.

You didnt use to get all 82 games. Sometimes it would only be on PPV, so when a game was televised on a channel you got you cleared your schedule to be able to watch it!

Knightslayer
12-05-2021, 12:22 PM
Him and Grant Pollock were some people I'll never forget listening to in my childhood days.

I remember before the internet used to always tune in to Grant for his little sports segment. Good ol days.

transplant99
12-05-2021, 12:26 PM
I loved seeing him occasionally chase away Bad News Brown or some of the other wrestlers out of the ring. They were tough guys during the post-match interview but when they got lippy Ed threatened them with a slap and they’d all dive out of the ring.

I remember one night at the end of the show Ed clobbered one of the wrestlers with the microphone and he wasn't playing around as evidenced by the sound of a live mic crackin some dudes skull.

Might of been the Cuban Assassin or maybe Mr. Hito (famous for the line "no chancey Mr. Whalen")

GioforPM
12-05-2021, 01:06 PM
I remember one night at the end of the show Ed clobbered one of the wrestlers with the microphone and he wasn't playing around as evidenced by the sound of a live mic crackin some dudes skull.

Might of been the Cuban Assassin or maybe Mr. Hito (famous for the line "no chancey Mr. Whalen")

It was Abdullah the Butcher.

psyang
12-05-2021, 02:01 PM
Yeah, its the same thing when kids wonder why we might be thrilled to be able to watch the Flames on TV.

You didnt use to get all 82 games. Sometimes it would only be on PPV, so when a game was televised on a channel you got you cleared your schedule to be able to watch it!Yup, Flames games used to only be televised on Thursday nights at 7:30 (and the odd Saturday). My bedtime was 9pm, so I often missed the third period. Would have to listen to it on a portable radio under my pillow.

Zamboniman
12-05-2021, 02:03 PM
I had the good fortune of meeting Mr. Whalen socially on several occasions as he was a friend of a friend. He always came across as kind, respectful, and interested in others. A good person as well as a great play by play guy for the Flames.

Mathgod
12-05-2021, 02:04 PM
One of the greatest (if not the greatest) sports personalities this city has ever had. He is dearly missed.

rhino
12-05-2021, 04:54 PM

John Davidson early on then I believe it was Garett

jon3084
12-05-2021, 04:57 PM
Yup, Flames games used to only be televised on Thursday nights at 7:30 (and the odd Saturday). My bedtime was 9pm, so I often missed the third period. Would have to listen to it on a portable radio under my pillow.

I did the exact same thing lol

Puppet Guy
12-05-2021, 05:01 PM
Yup, Flames games used to only be televised on Thursday nights at 7:30 (and the odd Saturday). My bedtime was 9pm, so I often missed the third period. Would have to listen to it on a portable radio under my pillow.

I did the exact same thing lol

Me too!

getbak
12-05-2021, 05:52 PM
John Davidson early on then I believe it was Garett
They rotated through. Davidson, Garrett, Harry Neal, Scotty Bowman, among others. Even Don Cherry did a few games, IIRC.

I believe Molson/Molstar owned the rights for all broadcasts across Canada (except maybe Quebec, which was owned by Carling), so they supplied the colour guys.

After he retired, Peplinski became a regular in the booth with Ed.

Pollock was the host for the longest time, but before him, Ron Maclean did it for a few years before he left for HNIC and Jim Van Horn was the original host before he was hired away to be one of the first on-air hosts at TSN.

calgaryred
12-05-2021, 07:43 PM
They rotated through. Davidson, Garrett, Harry Neal, Scotty Bowman, among others. Even Don Cherry did a few games, IIRC.

I believe Molson/Molstar owned the rights for all broadcasts across Canada (except maybe Quebec, which was owned by Carling), so they supplied the colour guys.

After he retired, Peplinski became a regular in the booth with Ed.

Pollock was the host for the longest time, but before him, Ron Maclean did it for a few years before he left for HNIC and Jim Van Horn was the original host before he was hired away to be one of the first on-air hosts at TSN.I miss Flames on 2 and 7 that was my favorite hockey channel.

Sent from my SM-A105M using Tapatalk

timun
12-05-2021, 08:34 PM
Flames telecasts were at their peak on 2&7.

Hard to believe Eddie has been gone about as long as he called Flames games... I remember that first weekend of December, 2001 well; my grandmother died on the 1st, and Ed Whalen died just a few days later. Double-whammy; felt like #### for a while after that.

Jacks
12-05-2021, 10:46 PM
"The Cuban Assassin's hair cut today is courtesy of Hurricane Hattie's Poodle Emporium."

Ed was great.

Strange Brew
12-05-2021, 10:55 PM
"The Cuban Assassin's hair cut today is courtesy of Hurricane Hattie's Poodle Emporium."

Ed was great.

Okanagan Helicopter was another one.

cam_wmh
12-06-2021, 12:29 AM
Man, searched YouTube, & the hockey clips of him are few and far between sadly.

How I'd love to hear "Yello, Ackey Fans.." Not sure who originally coined it, but my dad called him 'Whaling Ed'.

God he was a beauty.

Locke
12-06-2021, 01:11 AM
https://i.imgur.com/Uqq3NQh.jpg

This is the photo of a man of class and sophistication.

Dion
12-07-2021, 12:24 PM
wQXslWu7Els

HGLturuHW64

timun
12-07-2021, 12:54 PM
Man, searched YouTube, & the hockey clips of him are few and far between sadly.

How I'd love to hear "Yello, Ackey Fans.." Not sure who originally coined it, but my dad called him 'Whaling Ed'.

God he was a beauty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwILTtpMVe4&t=76s ;)

dino7c
12-07-2021, 01:27 PM
66 CFR used to do a Eddie Van Whalen parody bit...until about 12 I actually thought Ed Whalen was the lead guitar player in Van Halen

cam_wmh
12-07-2021, 02:17 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwILTtpMVe4&t=76s ;)

hahah YESSSSS!!!!!!!

timun
12-07-2021, 06:44 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r1SDyJWNHDk&t=252s
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWeeRPx4zVg&t=255s