PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate baseball

Table 5
11-15-2004, 02:59 PM
A player who has again and again proven to be on the juice, not only gets excused by the league through their blind loyalty, but instead has continous amounts of praise heaped onto him...

http://tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=104765

How can anyone consciously vote for this guy knowing his background? Has baseball become the first major sport to openly condone drug use?

habernac
11-15-2004, 03:06 PM
Their testing policy is a joke. Until it isn't, guys like Bonds will continue to flourish. I blame Bud Selig for being an enabler.

Bertuzzied
11-15-2004, 03:07 PM
Isn't it still under investigation? i can't believe that MLB turned a blind eye to Barry Bondson. There has to be an *asterick next to all his records! :angry:

albertGQ
11-15-2004, 03:30 PM
I don't beleive he's been found guilty yet. So he is innocent until proven guilty. But if he has been found guilty, then yes, there should be an asterick beside his name

JiriHrdina
11-15-2004, 03:59 PM
Exactly albertagq - he hasn't been proven guilty yet. MLB couldn't not give him the award based on allegations.

He is the most dominant player in the game today. Until he's actually proven to be on the juice he should be recognized as such.

Table 5
11-15-2004, 04:07 PM
Exactly how many years will this "investigation" take? Funny how the Olympic Committee can do all this within hours of an event, yet baseball lags behind.....could it be that it knows that aknowledging the results would be a kick to the nuts of their wallets?

JiriHrdina
11-15-2004, 04:26 PM
Originally posted by Table 5@Nov 15 2004, 05:07 PM
Exactly how many years will this "investigation" take? Funny how the Olympic Committee can do all this within hours of an event, yet baseball lags behind.....could it be that it knows that aknowledging the results would be a kick to the nuts of their wallets?
I don't disagree at all. But what I don't understand is why is Bonds always the focal point of everyone's anger. In my opinion if MLB got serious about testing you'd see at least 25% of the players are on the juice. But until that happens I just don't care.

Bring_Back_Shantz
11-15-2004, 04:39 PM
Okay Table, I don't disagree that Bonds is probalby on the juice, but you can't just go around saying that he has been proven again and again to be on it. He may have tested positive (because the league policy is a joke and doesn't publish the results till they have tested positive a couple of times), but untill you can show me proof that he has in fact tested positve "Again and again", I'm going to have to take exception to that.

That being said, I'm pretty sure most guys in baseball are on the juice (power hitters anyway).

calgaryred
11-15-2004, 04:39 PM
The investigation will never find Bonds guilty of drugs. It's players like Bonds that have brought fans back to the ballparks. Before the Mcguire/Sosa homerun battle interest in baseball was brutal. It's because of these homerun seasons by juiced players baseball has started a resurgence. There's no way baseball will stop and expose players from doing enhancing performance drugs!

Jiggy_12
11-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Juice or no juice, by definition of the award Bonds deserved it.

Bertuzzied
11-15-2004, 06:16 PM
I guess time will tell just how much he took when he keels over and dies ala Caminitti and Flo Jo.

Table 5
11-16-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina+Nov 15 2004, 06:26 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (JiriHrdina @ Nov 15 2004, 06:26 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Table 5@Nov 15 2004, 05:07 PM
I don't disagree at all. But what I don't understand is why is Bonds always the focal point of everyone's anger. In my opinion if MLB got serious about testing you'd see at least 25% of the players are on the juice. But until that happens I just don't care. [/b][/quote]
Bonds is the focal point because he is a superstar in his sport, and therefore he immediately has cache. He is of course not the only one, but he is one of the best showcases for this issue, so of course he will get most of the spotlight. If Number 4 Bobby Orr and a bunch of third liners were found to be taking drugs, dont you think the attention would go to Orr?

But regardless, my beef is with the entire baseball community, not just Barry Bonds. It doesnt mind because all these guys are bringing in the fans..... but there is a big downside to all this as
baseball is losing respect as a legitimate sport, and is starting to head into the world of wrestling.

albertGQ
11-16-2004, 09:10 AM
baseball is losing respect as a legitimate sport, and is starting to head into the world of wrestling.

I think you're exaggerating with that comment

nfotiu
11-16-2004, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by albertGQ@Nov 16 2004, 04:10 PM

Steroids could very well be more rampant in the NHL. Hockey has absolutely no testing.

I don't believe Bonds is being investigated by baseball. I think baseball's official policy is the past is the past, and they are trying to clean things up a bit for the future.

Table 5
11-16-2004, 10:05 AM
Originally posted by albertGQ@Nov 16 2004, 11:10 AM

well, duh.

but ask yourself this, if baseball is willing to let the roidheads of today mess with a whole century of tradition ( and the effect it has on the record and stat books ), what else would it condone in order to fill seats?

Funny how a sport can be so harsh when their players and managers gamble on the outcome of a few games ( and rightly so ), and then completely go and ignore a much deeper problem that is poisoning their whole sport.

Resolute 14
11-16-2004, 04:35 PM
If you think NHL players are clean, or NBA, or NFL, you are deluding yourself.

People in all sports beat the system on a regular basis. Suspicion is not proof.

albertGQ
11-16-2004, 04:39 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Nov 16 2004, 04:35 PM

People in all sports beat the system on a regular basis. Suspicion is not proof.
Exactly! I don't want to pick on him, but look how much muscle mass Rick Nash put on in the off-season following his rookie year.

kipperfan
11-17-2004, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by albertGQ+Nov 16 2004, 11:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (albertGQ @ Nov 16 2004, 11:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Snakeeye@Nov 16 2004, 04:35 PM

Exactly! I don't want to pick on him, but look how much muscle mass Rick Nash put on in the off-season following his rookie year. [/b][/quote]
as much as i loved the guy............................theo fleury.....................dont tell me this guy wasnt juiced at his prime...............dude was DAM strong, and dam big for a guy of 5'6...... and 145lbs in juniors.

kipperfan
11-17-2004, 06:39 PM
i dont know this.....................but bonds has to make you wonder about alot of guys..

Resolute 14
11-17-2004, 10:14 PM
It is his attitude more than anything that does it.

Sammy Sosa is an even more obvious case of juicing, yet he is almost universally loved, even after getting busted corking his bat. So, why is the guy who cheats two different ways given so much slack where Bonds isnt?

Sosa plays the media very well. Bonds would rather avoid it altogether.

Jiggy_12
11-21-2004, 09:16 PM
Here is an ESPN artcile with some nice statistics. For those that think Bonds shouldn't have won the MVP, just look at the figures they show.

Inner focus drives Bonds (http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?columnist=stark_jayson&id=1923567)

Cube Inmate
11-22-2004, 01:08 AM
Originally posted by albertGQ+Nov 16 2004, 04:39 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (albertGQ @ Nov 16 2004, 04:39 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-Snakeeye@Nov 16 2004, 04:35 PM

Exactly! I don't want to pick on him, but look how much muscle mass Rick Nash put on in the off-season following his rookie year. [/b][/quote]
Look at a couple of other factors that might have contributed:

According to a few sources, he was around 6'3" and 180 when drafted, which is pretty skinny for an NHLer. After a season in the league, he knew that he was going to stick around and needed to bulk up to excel. That could easily have led to a better training regimen in summer '03. Also, he was still maturing...it gets easier to put on muscle as one gets older into the early 20s.

Just some points to put the benefit of the doubt in your mind. Same points go for Fleury, although it's a little easier to believe he might have done some 'roids considering his history of drug problems.