View Full Version : Going To Nyc

speeds
08-05-2004, 12:38 PM
so, aside from all the things everyone hears about:

Ground Zero site
Madison Square Gardens
Empire States Building
Central Park

What is there for a guy to do there? What are some good places I should eat along the street, or what have you? some plays currently running I should take in?

Will be going with my parents, should be a good time.

looooob
08-05-2004, 12:40 PM
Originally posted by speeds@Aug 5 2004, 12:38 PM
so, aside from all the things everyone hears about:

Ground Zero site
Madison Square Gardens
Empire States Building
Central Park

What is there for a guy to do there? What are some good places I should eat along the street, or what have you? some plays currently running I should take in?

Will be going with my parents, should be a good time.
can't help you much

I went to NYC once, this was ~8 years ago and stayed with locals. didn't do much 'tourist stuff' at all, but instead lived like a local (went to out of the way bars etc). it was really cool, but at the same time I'm guessing the bars and restaurants we went to then, are no longer there now

either way you'll have a great time

can't remember if you are a baseball fan...any plans on going to Yankee stadium? that was a highlight for me

speeds
08-05-2004, 12:41 PM
Originally posted by looooob@Aug 5 2004, 06:40 PM
can't remember if you are a baseball fan...any plans on going to Yankee stadium? that was a highlight for me

definitely that is on the to-do list, as well as Letterman or Conan if I can get tickets (doubtful this late from what I've seen)

Patek23
08-05-2004, 12:43 PM
;) I say take a trip to harlem

speeds
08-05-2004, 12:51 PM
trying to get rid of all the Oilers fans you can, huh?

How scary is old Harlem anyways?

Patek23
08-05-2004, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by speeds@Aug 5 2004, 06:51 PM
trying to get rid of all the Oilers fans you can, huh?

How scary is old Harlem anyways?
not as much as it's hyped by all these modern day rappers trying to act old-school. You want to see real ghetto, go to St. Louis or South Central L.A.

JiriHrdina
08-05-2004, 12:56 PM
NY is an amazing city. You'll have a great time.

Things to do:
Yankees game - an absolute MUST!
Times Square - just wander around and breathe in the atmosphere
Museums - Tons to choose from. You can spend a full day in the Met or Gugenheim (sp?)
Broadway show - or even better go to a play off-Broadway. Sometimes the better stuff can be found there.
Coney Island - just to get a dog.
Empire State Building - at night. Best way to see the city

But the best thing you can do is just give yourself time to wander around this amazing city. Soho, Chinatown, The Village, Central Park - you can just get lost for hours in these places, watching people, wandering in and out of shops, etc. Don't schedule your trip so much that you don't have time to just walk around. That's the best part NYC.

Have fun man. You'll have a great time.

Cowperson
08-05-2004, 01:01 PM
I was there in November.

I stayed across the street from Central Park.

Go for a run through Central Park or certainly a walk. In fact, walk through the park to the Metropolitan Museum of Art. That is an absolutely amazing place. And sit on the steps with a hundred other people and eat a pretzel.

Speaking of pretzels, you can get some truly awful ones so be careful.

You can ride in a rowboat in Central Park. Visit Strawberry Field, which is basically right across the street from Yoko's place.

You can probably book tickets on line to see "The Producers" at the St. James Theatre, which is about half a block off Times Square on Broadway. A hilarious show and you can exit and just walk around Times Square for awhile. A nice evening out with your lady.

Statue of Liberty. Nice boat ride out, then you can also go to Ellis Island. Might be crowded in the summer.

Empire State Building. Again, I was there in November so out of season but it was a little ominous seeing what they had rigged up for REAL lineups. You have to pay to go up but a great view.

Take a subway ride. Easy to get confused unless you read up on it and realize ahead of time there are multi-levels.

Wall Street. Pat the Merryl Lynch bull on the rump. You'll be kind of amazed how close together the buildings are.

Brooklyn Diner . . . not far from Carnegie Hall, near Central Park. Try the chocolate milk shake.

If you've got fresh legs, walk around Chinatown and Little Italy, Soho, etc. Tons o' restaurants in Little Italy which is gradually being swallowed whole by Chinatown.

Grand Central Terminal - wow. I think it was there the baby carriage was slowly falling down the steps as the guns were raging around it. You know that movie.

Radio City Music Hall.

Madame Tussauds House of Wax - about half a block off Times Square. A kind of mellow place until you suddenly walk into the French Revolution exhibit. Bring your barf bag for that.

David Letterman or hobnob with some of those early morning shows on all the networks.

Rockefeller Center.

Probably a Yankee or a Met game.

Times Square, Times Square, Times Square,

Walk, walk, walk if you're in Manhattan.

Just some thoughts.

Cowperson

ah123
08-05-2004, 01:06 PM
Take in the energy of that city - it has an addictive buzz -- I was there four years ago and I absolutely loved it...Other things you can do:

If you like museums, there is three or four excellent museums (e.g. Gugenheim, Metropolitan museum).

Make sure you catch a broadway show - if you go to Time Square there is a "kiosk" selling tickets at half price for shows on that day - definitely worth it. I watched Miss Saigon there, and it was an unbelievable experience

You can go and catch a Mets or Yankees game - I am not a baseball fan, but it has great atmosphere (tickets are really cheap - $10 for the "nosebleads", atleast at Shea stadium when I was there four years ago)

Tour the NYSE - they explain how the stock exchange works - fun way to pass a couple of hours

NY also has some really good restaurants (if you want to spend the money, then check out the recommendations in Zagat's guide - it lists the top restaurants in town). You will find foods you cannot get here (e.g. Brazilian food)

One place you might want to check is a restaurant Mars 2110 (or something like it) - you get a "ride" to Mars, and you get "Martian dishes", etc...it is just a fun place to go, especially if you have kids going with you...

Hope that helps

[edited to add more ideas]

Maritime Q-Scout
08-05-2004, 01:12 PM
the book I'm reading now, well "reading" now. I haven't touched it in the last few days... that has to change... is all about the reshaping of New York City, done by one of its public servants Robert Moses.

I'd be interesting to see all that the man actually did to change the landscape of New York.

If you have time to read a 1162 page book before hand, it'd be neat to have the understanding of what it took to build everything he was incharge of building, and then seeing it.

Also the subway! Doesn't really matter where

Yankee Staduim
Central Park
Statue of Liberty
UN
Shea Staduim

ummmm, all I can really think off of hand. Maybe that strip club that Messier brought the Stanley Cup to! :D

Deelow
08-05-2004, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by speeds+Aug 5 2004, 06:41 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (speeds @ Aug 5 2004, 06:41 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-looooob@Aug 5 2004, 06:40 PM

definitely that is on the to-do list, as well as Letterman or Conan if I can get tickets (doubtful this late from what I've seen) [/b][/quote]
I got Letterman tickets the morning off the show. Show up at Ed Sullivan the day before...right when they're letting people in. Ask one of his interns for the # to call to see if there are any extras the next day. Then make sure to watch the show that night.
I called, got through (lucky) and they asked me some sort of trivia about the show the night before. I just happened to be watching at my hotel and was able to limp through the trivia. Went down later that day and my tix were waiting for me. Unfortunatley I got to see Ellen and Al Frankin...I was hoping for more, but it was cool anyway.

Or you could go on the Oilers rookie dinner tour! B)

Deelow
08-05-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by fotze@Aug 5 2004, 07:14 PM

I had a cool epiphany there that where I live is a pretty small unimportant place in the world.
I like Sunnyside.

Cowperson
08-05-2004, 01:28 PM
By the way speeds, go to the trouble of buying a good guide book at Chapters and finding things that will interest you.

I don't think you should be planning everything out but if you're down at the tip of Manhattan, then seeing the WTC site, Wall Street, going to Liberty Island, etc., all within close proximity, are best done in a single day rather than wasting time charging back and forth across the city.

A $30 investment in a good guide book is a terrific investment for pointing out things you don't know about.

Cowperson

the_only_turek_fan
08-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Aug 5 2004, 06:56 PM
NY is an amazing city. You'll have a great time.

Things to do:
Yankees game - an absolute MUST!
Times Square - just wander around and breathe in the atmosphere
Museums - Tons to choose from. You can spend a full day in the Met or Gugenheim (sp?)
Broadway show - or even better go to a play off-Broadway. Sometimes the better stuff can be found there.
Coney Island - just to get a dog.
Empire State Building - at night. Best way to see the city

But the best thing you can do is just give yourself time to wander around this amazing city. Soho, Chinatown, The Village, Central Park - you can just get lost for hours in these places, watching people, wandering in and out of shops, etc. Don't schedule your trip so much that you don't have time to just walk around. That's the best part NYC.

Have fun man. You'll have a great time.
What about the Statue of Liberty ;)

I would love to go to NYC, I have heard nothing but good things about visiting that place.

A friend of mine went a few years ago and told me that NBC studios was just amazing. That and he visited David Letterman's studio.

Also, I hope no one takes this the wrong way, but visiting the World Trade Center site might be an interesting experience.

BlackArcher101
08-05-2004, 05:03 PM
Make sure you have a New York hot dog.

Table 5
08-05-2004, 05:22 PM
here are some food specifics you should definitely check out. all of them have the Table 5 Seal ( arp arp! ) of Approval.

- Lombardi's Pizza: The best pizza I have ever tasted. Ever. Anywhere. Anytime. If you do not go here, I will be deeply disappointed. Its in Soho, on the corner of Spring and Mott ( get off at the Spring Street station on the 6 ). Screw the statue of libery ( its disappointingly small ), go here instead!

There is a place called Rice to Riches right across the street from Lombardis. This place is worth checking out just for the modern decor and fancy cups they serve you ther many types of rice pudding in.

John's Pizza: If you don't go to Lombardi's, atleast go to Johns. its in the west village ( somewhere around Christoper St). Its not quite as gourmet, but almost as tasty as Lombardis.

Btw, don't ever eat a pizza at any place that has a Ray in the name. Its sub-par and you can get a better slice at an independent.

-Gray's Papaya: These famous hot dog place is are scattered all over Manhattan, and are quite tasty ( and pretty damn cheap too ). There is also Papaya King....not bad, but not as good. Don't get the hotdogs from the vendors, wait till you get it here.

Sylvias: This is a southern cooking fried chicken type of place in the heart of Harlem. The food is amazing and so is the atmosphere. Every Sunday there is live gospel singing by the various ladies employed at the restaurant. Its busy, but its worth it! A great reason to go to Harlem, which is actually a really cool place in itself.

Assault and Battery: The best fish and chips in new york city....Its on 2nd ave around 10th street or so.....right in the heart of the East Village. So if you are in the area, stop by. If you feel like clogging some arteries try the deep fried mars bars.

You must go to atleast one or two of these places.....they are all fairly cheap and quick, but oh so worth it.

MrMastodonFarm
08-05-2004, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by Table 5@Aug 5 2004, 05:22 PM
Screw the statue of libery ( its disappointingly small ), go here instead!

Come on now, where else can you re-enact that great scene from Ghostbusters 2?

"you're love, is lifting me higher... higher and hiiigher"
"she's tough.. shes a harbour chick!"

TheCommodoreAfro
08-05-2004, 05:45 PM
I had someone ask me what there was to do in Tokyo. To which I would respond "Well, what do you like to do?". Same applies for NYC. You can do whatever you like there. Like Art? Go to a museum. Like theatre? Go see a show. Like history. Lots of that too.

I would be worried more about prioritizing your "to do" list in the city, to be honest.

Lanny_MacDonald
08-05-2004, 05:47 PM
Go to Sparks for dinner. Its expensive, but its worth it. Where else can you have a five star meal where history was made that created John "the teflon don" Gotti?

SpecialK12
08-05-2004, 09:34 PM
What dates are you going? And for how long?

HelloHockeyFans
08-06-2004, 03:43 PM
You MUST go to the "Hello Deli" owned by the infamous Rupert G. It should be near the Ed Sullivan theatre where The Late Show airs daily.

northernflame
08-07-2004, 11:12 AM
Did somebody say avoid the American Museum of Natural History?????? I had a year's pass and still didn't see all there was to see in that amazing place.

Everybody has covered most things off, so I will just mention a few things I really enjoyed during my time there.

Go for a run or walk in Central Park, yes, but I prefer running in River Side Park on the Upper West Side. Beautiful run right along the Hudson River.

There are a course a billion awesome restaraunts there, but there is a great cluster of them on the Uppoer West side between about 85th and 90th streets (mostly on Amsterdam and Columbus Avenues).

In midtown, 9th Avenue is a good place to find a nice little restaraunt. If you are taking a signficant other with you, or if you need a place to have a nice romantic dinner, tons of nice places in Brooklyn Heights with a great view of the Manhatten Skyline. And don't forget those NYC Diners.

The Frick Collection holds, in my mind, the most interesting collection of Art in NYC. Especially if you believe that art is best viewed in more intimate settings.

I would see a Mets Game over a Yankees game. The ride on the Number 7 train to Flushing is in itself an experience.

Do take the Tram

As far as Broadway/off Broadway performances, what I found really fun was to line up at the "Tickets" booth in Times Square and just see what is left on the "ticket board." (unused and returned tickets get sold there at a huge discount). You never even know what is available until you reach the front of the line.

Not sure if you enjoy baseball, but the Yankees operate a Level A minor league team that out of Staten Island. Take the Ellis Island ferry over and the ball park is right there. They just renovated it or built it in 2000 and it is a gorgeous little park with a breath taking view of the lower Manhattan skyline right over the outfield fence.

You likely have your travel arrangements already made but, if not, the Amtrack Montreal to NYC run is absolutely stunning. You travel through the Adirondacks, past Lake Champlainge and Lake George, and then through the Catskills, and in through the Hudson River Valley. It's a long trip - but worth it. They do have a bar service board as well. :P

La Flames Fan
08-07-2004, 12:31 PM
ONE WORD: MCSORELYS.....If you want to have a drink go to the bar called Mcsorely's with was established in 1854 and has not changed the interior since....It's a real cool place and the saw dust on the floor is reportedly still there from 1854 when it opened....

BlackArcher101
08-07-2004, 01:36 PM
Everyone keeps mentioning the Statue of Liberty, but it's closed.

The whole thing was closed since 9/11 and this past week, they finally opened it again. Well, they opened the base of it. You are now only allowed to view the base and look up through thick glass at the spiral staircase that goes up to the top. So if you want to see the base of a statue, go there.

northernflame
08-07-2004, 02:44 PM
Oh yes ... And I forgot the BRONX ZOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Well worth a day to see that facility.

speeds
08-07-2004, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by SpecialK12@Aug 6 2004, 03:34 AM
What dates are you going? And for how long?
something like Aug 12-24th.