PDA

View Full Version : Riders' McCallum receives fan threats

albertGQ
11-15-2004, 11:56 AM
Manure on his lawn? Yuck. Thats gross.

http://www.tsn.ca/cfl/news_story.asp?id=104764

Bring_Back_Shantz
11-15-2004, 01:13 PM
To be fair, he didn't miss a field goal to win it in overtime. He missed it to force BC to score a touchdown to win. Had he made, it they still could have lost.
That being said, man does it suck that this guy is getting treated like this. Just fire the guy and move on.

albertGQ
11-15-2004, 01:59 PM
Originally posted by Bring_Back_Shantz@Nov 15 2004, 01:13 PM
To be fair, he didn't miss a field goal to win it in overtime. He missed it to force BC to score a touchdown to win. Had he made, it they still could have lost.
That being said, man does it suck that this guy is getting treated like this. Just fire the guy and move on.
Well, he basically lost the game with that miss since BC would start their possesion in field goal range

moon
11-15-2004, 02:26 PM
Maybe the offense should have scored a touchdown so it didn't come down to a fieldgoal try.

Maybe the Saskatchewan defense should have stopped BC on the final drive so that they didn't have a shot to force overtime.

There are so many others things that happened prior to the missed FG that the whole team should be blamed for the loss.

JiriHrdina
11-15-2004, 02:29 PM
Brutal that fans actually do this stuff. Rider nation should be embarassed.

AvengeR
11-15-2004, 02:52 PM
The best fans in the leauge? i think not.

Cube Inmate
11-16-2004, 12:03 AM
I just can't understand that kind of malice towards a player. Does anybody remember what kind of a beating Steve Smith took in '86? I was a little young at the time, so all I know is that when the Oil won it in '87, he was one of the first to hoist the Cup after Gretz...I can only assume that the fans came down on him pretty hard in '86.

Table 5
11-16-2004, 08:02 AM
Paul Harvey, of all people ( the " now you know the rest of the story " guy ), mentioned this event on his minute segment this morning....

Homer_J
11-16-2004, 12:59 PM
Even Jim Rome was talking about this story today (and he will probably mention it in some shape or form every chance he gets :rolleyes: ). It's sad that few idiots give Rider fans a bad image in Canada, and CFL fans a bad image every where else.

calgaryred
11-16-2004, 03:22 PM
The story hit USA Today that's pretty sad! It's not like they care that the Lions beat the Riders in OT it's all about the idiot fans they want to print a story about. I was wondering if anybody watched Pardon the Interuption to see if they mentioned anything about the incident. I know they brought up the mascot and Dave Ritchie incident at Montreal Stadium a year or two ago.

JayP
11-16-2004, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by AvengeR@Nov 15 2004, 09:52 PM
The best fans in the leauge? i think not.
``This is a very sad day for the Rider nation,'' Roughriders chairman Garry Huntington said in a release. ``We have earned an enviable reputation right across Canada as having the classiest and most passionate fans.

From a TSN article.

Definitely good for a chuckle.

Bench Warmer
11-18-2004, 10:27 AM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Nov 15 2004, 09:29 PM
Brutal that fans actually do this stuff. Rider nation should be embarassed.
The idiots who did this BS don't represent Rider Nation or CFL fans in anyway. I'm glad charges have been laid against 3 so far - if there is anybody else involved I hope they are all charged and prosecuted. Unfortunately, you have idiots like this in every fan base. Bill Buckner was driven out of Boston and I can't remember his name but there was a California Angels pitcher who blew a save in the World Series in the early 80's that eventually committed suicide because of the harassment he received.

As someone said, these idiots aren't fans - they just give every Rider and CFL fan a bad name across the country and the US.

It's been great the way Rider Nation has stood behind Paul and supported him and his family after this event. Unfortunately, that news will never make national or international headlines. In a weird way, it's helped Paul gain support from the Rider fans - he went from goat to having everybody support him and want him back in Green and White next year in a few hour span...