PDA

View Full Version : NHL 08 Reviews

FlamesPuck12
09-12-2007, 09:53 PM
Hmm, I thought I would post a seperate topic from the other NHL 08 topics for gameplay reviews.

If you've got the game, please contribute so others can decide if they should get the game or not.

So I've got the PC version of NHL 08 from EBGames for $42 with GST.
I haven't got alot of time to play the game but its got both pros and cons.

Pros:
I've noticed alot of improvements in gameplay such as graphics (Even though I normally play on the lowest setting to maximize performance) and AI as well as the flow. AI is abit smarter than 07 but the first dynasty game I played on difficult settings, I owned the Flyers 6-1. The powerplay actually feels like an advantage because PKers are not as aggressive and they stay back abit which allows you to set up and take shots. Players will also try to keep the puck in the blue line when they attempt to dump it out, Regehr actually reached out with his stick to stop the puck from leaving the zone. The game itself is extremely smooth and everything seems to flow well. No more hooking like they did in 07, if they attempt, they will get a penalty so defence AI improved alot. They will check you hard to the board when you're entering the zone. Also, puck feels more alive than 07, in the previous games, it felt like puck is an object that just gets passed around between players. But now, puck can be deflected off the skates and off the nets and it feels like a real puck in a game. Also, when the CPU is breaking into your zone and you attempt to check him and miss, they will make you pay. In the 07, checking was so easy and it automatically locked to the target that you would always try to check them when entering the zone, but now, checking is alot harder and if you will miss alot. In 07, when I missed a check, I was confident that the goalie would stop the puck most of the time but now if you let the player pass you by, they will most likely score so its much easier to try to play defensively with poke checks. Pass interception is so common and it allows the game to go from one end to another and back and forth for awhile which actually feels like a real game of hockey.

So in summary, the improvements made from 07-08 are the flow of the game and the AI. (They're not perfect but definitely an improvement)

Cons:
I can't think of many negative things about the game compared to 07 but there were few that I was real pissed about. PC version does not have the create-a-play feature (Which was the only reason I bought this game). That feature is only for 360 and ps3 so if you buy the PC version, its basically the same game in a new package with updated AI. I heard other features such as the skill sticks not included in the PC version as well which was very dissapointing, seems like EA keeps dissapointing me year after year.

Forgot to mention, there is an option called Fantasy Draft for the Dynasty mode which is basically drafting every players in your team, so 40 rounds. They're actual players from the NHL so all the existing players are gathered in the draft and you get to draft each of them. When I first started, Jarome Iginla was picked 1st overall and Kipper was like 7th overall so I couldn't get them with my 26th pick.

So is it worth getting? Well I strongly recommend that you purchase a PS3 or xBox 360 copy because all these missing features in the PC version sucks. If you don't care about the features and you just want better flow and better gameplay, you should definitely get it but if you were planning to buy the game just for the new features (Which I did), be prepared to be dissapointed.

If anyone bought the PS3 or Xbox 360 copy, please post to let us know how they are.

Jayems
09-12-2007, 10:31 PM
love the game but:

Freezes, freezes, and as we speak... freezes.

1/3 of the games freeze before they even begin. HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT in that department. Game is awesome otherwise.

metallicat
09-12-2007, 10:33 PM
love the game but:

1/3 of the games freeze before they even begin. HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT in that department. Game is awesome otherwise.Are you talking online? I haven't had a freeze yet, but during a dynasty mode game, it suddenly quit saying the disc was dirty.

Ro
09-12-2007, 10:34 PM
love the game but:

1/3 of the games freeze before they even begin. HUGE DISSAPOINTMENT in that department. Game is awesome otherwise.

I am new to Xbox 360 and Xbox live, but plan on purchasing this game and a subscription so that I can play online.

Is that the kind of thing that EA would put out a fix/patch for that could be downloaded from Xbox live? Or are most of us going to have to suffer through that also?

Jayems
09-12-2007, 10:35 PM
Basically, what i've been constantly experiencing is when you start a game, during the anthems, either will happen:

1) The game just stops. Dead. Nothing happens. You have to reset the consol.

2) The game quits to menu and says "lost connection to opponent"

FlamesPuck12
09-12-2007, 10:36 PM
Are you guys on the PC version? I need some major help with the online feature. I try to create or join a game but I keep getting timed out. Anyways to fix this? Could this be because of my wireless router firewall blocking a port or something?

Also, I play my game on the laptop because my current comp doesn't have DVD ROM so I can't play it here but whenever I play it on the laptop, game is real smooth first 10 min of gameplay, then all of a sudden CD Rom motor goes abit louder and game slows down significantly, like 1/2 the normal speed and sometime as far as 1/4 of the normal speed, sure its great for scoring goals in slow motion, but I hate playing the game like that. I wait about an hour or two then I can play the first 10 min fine. Is there a fix around this or is this just my laptop?

Jayems
09-12-2007, 10:38 PM
Thankfully I've bought the disc guarantee, because my game no longer works, and there is a huge circular gouge in the cd.

gotta love that xbox.

Kjesse
09-12-2007, 10:49 PM
Thankfully I've bought the disc guarantee, because my game no longer works, and there is a huge circular gouge in the cd.

gotta love that xbox.

Well I think you've made 10 posts about the game freezing. That sucks but I have 2 360's, have played on both, and have yet to have one problem today. Of course the 360 has some issues, but why so many posts? I suspect you've got either a defective game or a defective 360. The online play is as smooth as I've ever seen in an online hockey game. I thought NHL 07 left a lot of room for improvement, and NHL 08 is the first true online hockey game.

Ro
09-12-2007, 10:52 PM

Do you have your Xbox standing upright, on its side? The guy at BB the other night told me that is a surefire way to gouge your games.

Winsor_Pilates
09-12-2007, 11:00 PM
Just played my first game on 360.
Calgary vs Detroit (random), 5 min, all-star.

Got worked
3-1 (not too bad)
shots 43-14 Detroit
17-8 (really hard and I'm usually good at them)
I felt like a barely touched the puck.

Didn't change my lines and used auto changes. For some reason only 5 players had less icetime then Iginla. didn't seem like he was ever out there. Only 9:16, while Frieson had 9:27

First and only goal was Cory Sarich!!!

took a few interfearence penalties. Gonna have to get used to not being able to check guys who don't have the puck.

Overall seems like a great game, but I think I'll get bored/ticked off from playing the computer quickly. Gonna try pro and see if it's better for my current lack of skill.

Gravitykillr
09-12-2007, 11:00 PM
only played 2 games (1 with the flames 5-2 win over Philly and 1 with QC Flames 5-0 loss to springfield)
but....
Pro's: game seems much better over all, I was able to dump Mclenan to Vancouver through the waiver wire, signed Aucoin because for some reason it had him as an FA at less than what he is making now (3.2mil a year)

Con's: I lost to Springfield 5-0 and for some reason the autolines put Godard on 1st line in QC....................

foofighter15
09-12-2007, 11:07 PM
cant find the code for the jerseys on the sites they give.
anyone know what it is

Winsor_Pilates
09-12-2007, 11:15 PM
cant find the code for the jerseys on the sites they give.
anyone know what it is
It's not gonna be released until they have all been released in real life. Gotta wait a couple weeks

Tyler
09-12-2007, 11:17 PM
Yeah - same freezing problems with me. Oh well. First day bugs. I'm sure it'll be fixed.

Great game. Lots of little nuances that just make you smile as a hockey fan.

metallicat
09-12-2007, 11:31 PM
Do you have your Xbox standing upright, on its side? The guy at BB the other night told me that is a surefire way to gouge your games.I don't think he is right. Microsoft advertises that as a way to stand the console. You aren't supposed to move the console at all however, when a disc is spinning. That is a known way to cause discs to scratch.

Winsor_Pilates
09-12-2007, 11:38 PM
More thoughts..

-My D never seem to want to take the puck from my goalie. They skate away and I have to cover it all the time or give it away
-Computer still scores stupid goals like always that make no sense
-Computer D doesn't hit much, but seems to nudge me off the puck alot. Anyone know how to do this?
-Seems difficult to make plays off the rush since the D collapse infront of their net. Need to cycle around to get them to move at all.

Kjesse
09-13-2007, 12:54 AM
Amazing game, still learning the ins and outs, have a long way to go.

Some initial comments are, seems like a lot of people are picking the penguins as their team, to the point I played 5 consecutive games against that team, all selected by different players. What gives?

Second, I'm not sure what makes a "goal". I've seen more crappy shots lead to goals than well executed plays lead to goals, which makes me think I need to adopt a different strategy. The Penguins seem to score in the high slot agaist Kipper at will.

Tyler
09-13-2007, 01:05 AM
From the 20 games I played on Live tonight, I have concluded that Kipper can't stop a deke to save his life

604flames
09-13-2007, 01:56 AM
I just got home from playin' at my buddy's house in Burnaby (I took my 360 'cause his TV is way nicer than mine), couple comments, couple wishes for next year.

LOVE the skating, especially when you are rounding the net and just getting ready to burn.. looks great!

LOVE goalie mode! It's so fresh what a great idea!

We were playin' a QC vs. Manitoba game, and all of a sudden my buddy notices the Flame that has the puck and goes "Chucko! I played minor hockey w/ him!" Thought that kinda random lol...

Can't wait for the jersey code... Hopefully it will be up by the time I get home from work on Saturday!

The one thing I would love to see (maybe for '09), is more vintage. It seems to be all the rage right now, and I would love to see what EA could do. To take it further.. I'd REALLY like to see classic arenas. The Forum, Boston Gardens, or even more recent barns like the Aud, or even the old Atlanta Omni. Although it would take a TON of space, I think it would be really really cool.

SoulOfTheFlame
09-13-2007, 02:16 AM
Anyone have this for PC? Is there or is there not a skill stick?

Hemi-Cuda
09-13-2007, 02:54 AM
Team Xbox gives it a 9/10 (http://reviews.teamxbox.com/xbox-360/1378/NHL-08/p1/)

Bottom line: Pick NHL 08 up if you’re looking for the best console hockey game ever produced.

Jude
09-13-2007, 06:28 AM
Just out of curiousity, but can you continue with your team in the Fantasy Draft in Dynasty mode beyond the first season? One of my biggest annoyances with NHL 07 is that you can only play through to the Stanley Cup with a fantasy team and it would completely end afterwards.

cgy2london
09-13-2007, 07:40 AM
has anyone played with the the quad cities flames yet? or can someone shed some light on exactly how much of a role they have on your dynasty mode?

the game dosnt come out in the uk till next friday but im absolutly jacked! buying an xbox 360 just for the game

FlamesKickAss
09-13-2007, 08:10 AM
has anyone played with the the quad cities flames yet? or can someone shed some light on exactly how much of a role they have on your dynasty mode?

the game dosnt come out in the uk till next friday but im absolutly jacked! buying an xbox 360 just for the game

o ya, you have nhl games and ahl games to play in a franchise

Finner
09-13-2007, 01:07 PM
How do you play in goalie mode on the 360? And if you are in the middle of the game can you switch to play the goalie during play?

Great game. I only had a chance to get one game in but it was awesome.

I played philly.

Lost 3-2 in the shootout.

Goals by Iggy and Conroy and 2 assists by Phaneuf.

They scored with there first two players on the shootout. I didn't hit with any.

And kipper gets scored on almost whenever anyone dekes in close. Maybe realistic but it sucks sometimes.

BradMan23
09-13-2007, 01:15 PM
Played a couple games last night.

In one game I was Carolina...and Mr.Staal let go a backhand that upon released shot faster then a slapshot and sniped the corner... hrm. I guess the guy on the front of the box IS that good. ;)

All in all a good game. I never played 07 and Im seeing right now, that this is a much more 'technically' sound hockey game then in the past. You cant just fly around body checking people, (sometimes even when they have the puck), all the factors have to be 'right' to get in a good bodycheck.

What I have found to be annoying is the lack of ability to play d. Pretty much all you have to do is play position and try to get close to the puck carrier and the comp will auto stickcheck (or sometimes bodycheck). Seems like whenever I choose to pokecheck the other players fall over and I get a penalty.

The skill stick is going to take some major getting used to thats for sure.

-Brad

FlamesPuck12
09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
Anyone have this for PC? Is there or is there not a skill stick?

I heard no skill stick for PC version...

REDVAN
09-13-2007, 03:21 PM
I was playing dynasty mode on PC and in the first game vs the Flyers, their goalie was Niitimaki or however you spell it but Hughson keep calling him Ward. Where can I email EA sports and let them know about this for the first patch?

Toonage
09-13-2007, 05:39 PM
Just wanted to throw my 2 cents in on NHL 08 for the PS3 if anyone was interested in that version.

I found the IGN review to be a bit off the mark when it comes to the framerate. At no time did it look like I was playing under strobe lights. As a matter of fact the only time the game chugged (I've played 4 games in "play now" mode thus far) was during cut scenes (the anthems, after a goal is scored, after a puck goes over the glass, etc) and even then it was minor. I would say the game runs exactly like NHL 07 did last year on the 360. One thing the PS3 version does suffer from (as do all EA titles on the PS3) is that its a bit washed out color wise when compared to the 360 version. Some reviews made it sound like this game would be unplayable because of the framerate. I didn't find that to be the case at all.

Just wanted to note that I'm playing the retail release and not the demo that came out today.

FlamesPuck12
09-13-2007, 05:40 PM
I was playing dynasty mode on PC and in the first game vs the Flyers, their goalie was Niitimaki or however you spell it but Hughson keep calling him Ward. Where can I email EA sports and let them know about this for the first patch?

Thats what happened to me too. I thought I was just hearing things but sometimes he would call him Nittymaki and sometime he would say something like "easy save by Cam Ward". I scored on him like 5 times so they switched the goalie to Biron

czure32
09-13-2007, 05:47 PM

Ive played something like 5 maybe 6 games for the QC Flames, cant say how much itll affect the dynasty mode, but from what Ive read AHL development is important to your franchise in dynasty mode (I seem to be racking up the assists with Hambly in the last few games, and I think my leading scorer in QC is Prust)

The free agency in AI in the game is interesting too, where a player will take time to consider your offer, and consequently see if other offers surface before accepting yours

LOL at phoenix in my game for claiming Jeff Friesen on waivers when I tried to send him down to recall Moss

FlamesKickAss
09-13-2007, 06:11 PM
Ive played something like 5 maybe 6 games for the QC Flames, cant say how much itll affect the dynasty mode, but from what Ive read AHL development is important to your franchise in dynasty mode (I seem to be racking up the assists with Hambly in the last few games, and I think my leading scorer in QC is Prust)

The free agency in AI in the game is interesting too, where a player will take time to consider your offer, and consequently see if other offers surface before accepting yours

LOL at phoenix in my game for claiming Jeff Friesen on waivers when I tried to send him down to recall Moss

weird, thats how picked him up from me 2. he has to stay down in the minors i guess. played against him with QC

Gravitykillr
09-13-2007, 06:13 PM

I just released him before the season started the one I liked was I placed Mclenan on waivers and the Canucks picked him up lol

czure32
09-13-2007, 06:27 PM
I just released him before the season started the one I liked was I placed Mclenan on waivers and the Canucks picked him up lol

heh, the canucks claimed noodles from me too when i went to recall Krahn :P

Nuje
09-13-2007, 06:40 PM
Rofl. Ditto here. Probably Luongo's orders.

Jayems
09-13-2007, 07:11 PM
Ok, I'm now desperate.

Can someone please tell me how to change your strategies online? I need to change my offensive strategies (and not just aggressive, all out attack etc) I mean: Crash the net, Defense collapsing etc.

How the hell?

Matata
09-13-2007, 07:13 PM
DO NOT BUY 2008 for PS2!

I cannot stress this enough. The statement this game makes is "Screw you kid, buy an Xbox". I was sold on the 360 version of the game, but this is a repackaged 2007 with a few chunks of code replaced

Majority of the Jerseys are the old jerseys, the colour scheme is black and grey (cuz hockey is such an emo sport) and the control setups are a complete trainwreck.

Maybe the AI and skating is better, but out of the box this game completely disgusts me, Im inclined to never touch this game again.

Jayems
09-13-2007, 07:17 PM
I may have to try 2k8 after this online debacle

FlamesPuck12
09-13-2007, 07:25 PM
DO NOT BUY 2008 for PS2!

I cannot stress this enough. The statement this game makes is "Screw you kid, buy an Xbox". I was sold on the 360 version of the game, but this is a repackaged 2007 with a few chunks of code replaced

Majority of the Jerseys are the old jerseys, the colour scheme is black and grey (cuz hockey is such an emo sport) and the control setups are a complete trainwreck.

Maybe the AI and skating is better, but out of the box this game completely disgusts me, Im inclined to never touch this game again.

I know how you feel since PC version is the same one as the PS2 version. They completely false advertised the difference in version and I expected the content to be the same as the one on Xbox and PS3. I was extremely pissed off at spending $40 for repackaged game with new sound tracks and new cover... EA yet again dissapointed me.

phaneuf_train
09-13-2007, 08:00 PM
Ughhhh... I just won 5-1 online and then it freezes and gives me a loss and a quit.

Jayems
09-13-2007, 08:03 PM
Ughhhh... I just won 5-1 online and then it freezes and gives me a loss and a quit.

Yeah, its so lame..,.

I actually lost a game 3-2, but at the end, i just left once over, checked the stats, and he got a DNF and I got a win. wtf?

phaneuf_train
09-13-2007, 08:42 PM
2nd game in a row I dominate only to have it freeze in the end!

C Squared
09-13-2007, 08:47 PM
I am a PS2 owner and I am really wanting to buy either NHL 08 or NHL 2K8. Has anybody played both and can somebody offer any insight? Best Buy has a deal right now where if you buy NHL 08 you can get Madden 08 for $30 as well which sounds like a good deal. What do you guys think?

metallicat
09-13-2007, 08:57 PM
My game is going back tomorrow. I am getting constant dirty disc errors during dynasty mode games. My 360 has not had issues with any other games.

FlamesPuck12
09-13-2007, 09:31 PM
I am a PS2 owner and I am really wanting to buy either NHL 08 or NHL 2K8. Has anybody played both and can somebody offer any insight? Best Buy has a deal right now where if you buy NHL 08 you can get Madden 08 for $30 as well which sounds like a good deal. What do you guys think?

If you own NHL 07 for PS2, do NOT get Nhl 08. PC and PS2 copies are different from the Xbox360 and PS3 one. Read my first post for details on the games regarding PC and PS2 copies.

Only new thing for PS2 and PC version is new songs, abit improved AI, and Eric Staal cover. They took NHL 07 and repackaged with new cover and called it NHL 08 for $40.

All the features advertised for NHL 08 are only for PS3 and 360 so there are NO NEW FEATURES for PC and PS2. This kinda pissed me off because the only reason I bought NHL 08 was for the Create-A-Play feature.

Toonage
09-13-2007, 09:48 PM
My game is going back tomorrow. I am getting constant dirty disc errors during dynasty mode games. My 360 has not had issues with any other games.

Oddly enough, my copy of NHL 07 did this to me last year and was the only game to ever give me that problem. A close inspection of the disc revealed a semi circle shaped scratch just outside the middle of the disc. Using a scratch repair kit for CDs that a friend had bought did the trick but it would appear that my Xbox had a quirk that you may have read about. It just randomly scratches discs. It doesn't seem to matter if you've moved the Xbox with the disc in the tray or just left the disc sitting in there.

Long story short, check for that semi circle scratch and if its there make sure to eject the disc after playing or before powering down the system.

If the scratch isn't there, disregard my rant as you likely just have a bad disc. :)

redmile04
09-14-2007, 01:44 AM
More thoughts..

-My D never seem to want to take the puck from my goalie. They skate away and I have to cover it all the time or give it away
-Computer still scores stupid goals like always that make no sense
-Computer D doesn't hit much, but seems to nudge me off the puck alot. Anyone know how to do this?
-Seems difficult to make plays off the rush since the D collapse infront of their net. Need to cycle around to get them to move at all.

I hate the fact that the goalie covers the puck up so much.. did you find a solution to this problem? I put goalie passing all the way up

redmile04
09-14-2007, 01:47 AM
DO NOT BUY 2008 for PS2!

I bought it for ps2.. seems fine to me the conorl setups you can adjust and change and the its not black and white for sure.. I dont know about the jerseys though it has the old flames jersey so you might be right. I love it so far for the ps2 no freezing or anything

redmile04
09-14-2007, 01:48 AM
If you own NHL 07 for PS2, do NOT get Nhl 08. PC and PS2 copies are different from the Xbox360 and PS3 one. Read my first post for details on the games regarding PC and PS2 copies.

Only new thing for PS2 and PC version is new songs, abit improved AI, and Eric Staal cover. They took NHL 07 and repackaged with new cover and called it NHL 08 for $40.

All the features advertised for NHL 08 are only for PS3 and 360 so there are NO NEW FEATURES for PC and PS2. This kinda pissed me off because the only reason I bought NHL 08 was for the Create-A-Play feature.

The game is much improved though.. if it was 07 with small changes they wouldnt of relased it.. I like 08 a lot better than 07 more of a challenge

evman150
09-14-2007, 03:07 AM
Anybody else notice what appear to be mixed up faces? Like Stephane Yelle looking exactly like Chuck Kobasew? And Shean Donovan and I think Kim Johnsson showing up in the wrong spots? Really weird.

cgy2london
09-14-2007, 03:43 AM
o ya, you have nhl games and ahl games to play in a franchise

AMAZING! thats what ive been waiting for since the ea series began, this really lets you actually develop your prospects and makes it feel more like an actual dynasty mode! cant wait game comes out on the 21st in the uk and im buying an xbox and the game that day!

metallicat
09-14-2007, 06:52 AM
How does one play AHL games? Because it always just asks me if I want to SIM them...

cgy2london
09-14-2007, 07:03 AM
hey just another quick question about the franchise mode. noticed on the review about nhl 2k8 it has a cap as well as negotations regarding restricted and non restricted free agents seems 2 be alot more intense than just pussing the button and signing a player..
how does nhl 08 compare?
thanks for the info in advace

FlamesKickAss
09-14-2007, 07:29 AM
How does one play AHL games? Because it always just asks me if I want to SIM them...

right or left bumper will switch to your ahl team on xbox

czure32
09-14-2007, 10:01 AM
I think i suffer from Amonte-itis....
I clang more iron in a game than I would care to count (AHL and NHL)

zukes
09-14-2007, 10:13 AM
For all you guys who are having freezes, turn off your autosave. I read somewhere that is the problem.

ernie
09-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Gamespot review is in 8.5/10 for NHL 08 and 7/10 for 2k8. Hands down winner in the mind of the reviewer based on those scores.

Winsor_Pilates
09-14-2007, 10:27 AM
Anybody else notice what appear to be mixed up faces? Like Stephane Yelle looking exactly like Chuck Kobasew? And Shean Donovan and I think Kim Johnsson showing up in the wrong spots? Really weird.
No, but I noticed the ref looks like Giordano

Winsor_Pilates
09-14-2007, 10:28 AM
I hate the fact that the goalie covers the puck up so much.. did you find a solution to this problem? I put goalie passing all the way up
No solution yet, but havn't really tried. I guess it's more realistic this way, but that's one element of real hockey I've never wanted since it slows down the games

Regorium
09-14-2007, 12:09 PM

This is why I never pay for EA sports games. NHL07 was a re-packaged NHL06. Using the exact same engine 2 years in a row? Gimme a break.

Not to mention PC's have just as much if not far more computing power than either the 360 or the PS3.

flamesfan6
09-14-2007, 12:19 PM
I heard no skill stick for PC version...
probably already said, but i saw this twice now...

THERE IS A SKILL STICK

sure its probably not as good as the 360 one, however you can shoot, deke, bodycheck with it..

you can use the "hybrid" controls to get the skill stick, or be lame and use 07 controls called "classic"

flamesfan6
09-14-2007, 12:20 PM
This is why I never pay for EA sports games. NHL07 was a re-packaged NHL06. Using the exact same engine 2 years in a row? Gimme a break.

Not to mention PC's have just as much if not far more computing power than either the 360 or the PS3.

not everyone has a system to run next gen games....... so for PC they want EVERYONE to be able to play it, hence why they arent making it next gen....... lets hope next year...

Jiggy_12
09-14-2007, 12:34 PM

Yeah, the faces are f'd right up. The only Flames faces that resemble their real-life counterpart are Iginla, Phaneuf, Tanguay, Nolan, and Conroy. The rest are way off. Especially Regehr.

simonsays
09-14-2007, 12:46 PM
NHL08 PC:

Menus: Identical to 07. Well, they're now grey.

Dynasty Mode: Identical. Except now you also have weekly goals like win all your home games or get a shut out. Also all the hubbub about AHL teams must've been for the 360/PS3 because minor league management is just as craptastic as ever.

Gameplay: Same game engine. So while gameplay isn't identical to previous versions it sure is similar. The AI is better, I've only played a few games so I don't really know how much better, but there has been some improvement there. Goalies seem to be a whole lot better, they seem to read the puck better, no longer flop around and don't seem to make those perfect passes anymore.

When you have the puck in the offensive zone the D-men (and sometimes the center) collapse in front of the net, making the one-timer in the slot play a fair bit trickier. When breaking out the AI is a little better at finding open teammates, and opposing players seem to be more willing to make neutral zone passes when they're challenged. But you can usually still funnel them to the boards for an easy takeaway.

The controls are a bit of a disapointment. I havn't really tried learning the new Hybred control schematics yet, so I don't know about the skill stick. But when I tried using a custom config I couldn't set the right analog for passing, now it's just an additional dekeing stick. Man, I really liked not having a dedicated button for passing.

Lets see..what else? The physics seem to have been improved. Big players aren't necessarily super slow anymore. The puck moves as pucks should.

Audio: First thing I do when I get an EAsports game is turn off the music. The second thing should have done is turn off the play-by-play. I don't think they even got Jim H. into the studio for additional sound bytes.

I understand that hockey is a niche sport, and that playing sports titles on the PC is niche gaming, so I didn't expect great things from this. My biggest disapointment is that after 4+ years franchise mode is still garbage. I don't know, maybe once NHLview is updated and some modders have taken a crack at this game it'll get better. For now it's just the same old.

Regorium
09-14-2007, 01:59 PM
not everyone has a system to run next gen games....... so for PC they want EVERYONE to be able to play it, hence why they arent making it next gen....... lets hope next year...

Here's my logic on people that would buy NHL08:

If you have an Xbox 360/PS3, you are more than likely a console gamer, and thus have a crappy computer.

Conversely, if you don't have an xbox 360/PS3, you are likely a PC gamer, thus have a computer that can run at the very least current-gen games.

The only market that wouldn't have been able to play the "next gen" NHL-08 is the people that neither have an xbox360/PS3 and a crappy computer. Why target these people? Instead, you have people like me that would've bought the next gen version (even last year), but just felt completely ripped off when it was NHL06/05/04 with updated rosters. Thus, I will never again pay for a EA NHL game.

flamesfan6
09-14-2007, 02:00 PM
first game i played in my dynasty: nittymaki they kept saying was ward..

the skill stick is fun though, its just takes time to get used to. I wish it was you had to press a button to do the shotting with the analog stick instead of having to press a button then using analog stick to pass...

AI i like more than 07, definately the goalies, sure i am outshooting comp 40-20 type thing but games are only like 4-2, 5-3 so its not rediculous like 07 (considering cpu barely got 10 shots in 07)

for those using the "classic controls" yes you are playing 07 with harder goalies ... but thats why i am using the skill stick, its funner, challenging (because im not used to it), and its different than using the controls from last year....

maybe next year we will be happy?

FlamesPuck12
09-14-2007, 03:24 PM

Even if the comps can't run next gen, I'm sure they could've added improvements to dynasty mode (Like the one xbox has, with waivers and AHL mode) without too much stress on the system performance.

Russic
09-14-2007, 03:36 PM
Yeah, the faces are f'd right up. The only Flames faces that resemble their real-life counterpart are Iginla, Phaneuf, Tanguay, Nolan, and Conroy. The rest are way off. Especially Regehr.

Really? I thought Owen Nolan looked a lot like Cale Hulse for some reason. I was actually annoyed that a former nhl cover guy didn't have his face scanned in.

As far as I can tell, the ps3 version seems to be less buggy. Granted, there are 10x's less owners of ps3's, so getting an accurate sample is somewhat of an issue.

Game is awesome, but could be frustrating to people who aren't avid hockey gamers as it can be quite difficult.

FlamesPuck12
09-14-2007, 05:08 PM
Hey, a question to all those who owns a PC copy. When I go to trade in the dynasty mode, I cannot switch the team I want to trade with. Its stuck at Anaheim and even though I click the switch arrow, it wont switch to another team, anyone know how to solve this or work around this bug? Does anyone else have this bug?

flamesfan6
09-14-2007, 07:15 PM
umm i press right arrow to move to the bottom team and then u can modify it... gotta make sure the box of players is in the bottom box then u can switch the teams

FlamesPuck12
09-14-2007, 07:54 PM
umm i press right arrow to move to the bottom team and then u can modify it... gotta make sure the box of players is in the bottom box then u can switch the teams

I tried everything but even though I click on the arrows it won't switch the teams. Ugh I can't believe I paid $40 bucks for this crappy game thats worse than NHL 07 repackaged!

simonsays
09-14-2007, 08:25 PM
I tried everything but even though I click on the arrows it won't switch the teams. Ugh I can't believe I paid $40 bucks for this crappy game thats worse than NHL 07 repackaged!

I found it a little confusing at first, but just press right a whole bunch when you're in the trading screen. Should get you to the other team.

edit: but this crappy game is worse than nhl07 repackaged.

Ro
09-14-2007, 11:18 PM
Just played a half dozen games online. My first Xbox Live experience, and first time playing an EA hockey game in a looooooong time. Maybe a couple of NHL 06 sessions, but nothing else in the past three or four years.

I got schooled. I can't get the hang of the skill stick thing. When I attack facing down, I can't seem to get the puck off the ice. And all too often, my player either fakes a shot and doesn't release the slapper/wrister, or he dribbles the puck into the corner. I am getting better by using the "practice" mode and selecting "shooting drills," but it is tough.

The graphics are incredible. I have it set up for HD and it is blowing my mind. And the whole "Live" thing is pretty awesome too. Although it's a bit tricky getting things set up- I don't want to play against guys who will beat me 8-0 all the time. But I am figuring everything out.

What else... For once, the skating is very realistic. I seem to get outhit 2-1 by my opponents every game, but manage to get more shots off and control the play a little more. That's probably not a bad thing. If anyone has any comments about how I can not suck anymore, let me know.

My Xbox Live name is "iginlafire"- if you see me on there log on and kick my ass.

phaneuf_train
09-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Ro, make sure that you are always skating up. Go to your visual settings and set it to hometeam always up if your at home. I would get schooled to if I was facing down.

Jayems
09-15-2007, 12:02 AM
Ro: Yeah, as above. Change your settings to make sure that "Home Team Facing Up" is always on when at home. (Put it on down when you are away) there is no way I could play going down, or even switching for that matter.

I think now that I have a few games under my belt, Im starting to lose my NHL 07 tendencies and learning new ones for 08. I was getting schooled by one-timers all the time, but my defense were not effective because I was relying on the poke-check (which is practically useless in 08 in stopping cross-ice passes). I use the left-bumper now, and the D puts the stick on the ice... good addition.

I am really starting to love this game. its a love hate thing right now, but the way you can get set up in the zone is amazing. I love being on D too... staying in the box, blocking the shots. Pretty amazing stuff.

I think the one-timers will be this years cheeze move though. It seems there are several players that have it down pat, and can score on pretty much every rush. Think this is just a matter of learning their tendencies, and not quitting after they score 5 goals in 5 minutes on the same style of shot.

Finally had enough and have called Shaw in to service my house. I am constantly losing connection in the middle of games, usually with a win in sight. I have an atrocious DNF % because of this... and leaving a few games too.

gamertag is: trurocal

REDVAN
09-15-2007, 01:31 AM
My personal review for PC:

I gave it a chance. But I am honestly very disappointed. I would rather play NHL07 and download/make the correct roster. Things that annoy me in NHL0X continue to annoy me now. Kiprusoff seems to lose a game when I shoot 40 shots on the other team, and score only one goal yet they manage to get 5 goals. I am not that bad at defence, they just score on every two shots. Brutal. Not realistic at all.

The opposition never takes penalties unless they are down by 2+ in the last 5 min of the game. Then they take 6 cross checking penalties. BOOO.

It is impossible to poke the puck away from an opponent, and it is hard to hit them but that is cool, just the poking thing sucks.

And again, the opponents seem to be able to skate faster than my guys. No way Chelios is faster than Lombardi, no way at all.

All I have to say is that NHL08 makes me want to contact EA sports for a refund. I am really disappointed. I could have just updated my roster and at least had some decent playability. I have bought at least 5 hockey games from them, but I think that EA has lost a repeat customer.

Crispy's Critter
09-15-2007, 02:24 AM
for all those who are complaining about the PC version, I hate to say I told you so, but.......http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.php?p=987311&postcount=38
;)

but seriously, it really sucks that I threw almost 4 G's into my two gaming comps, and I still have to go out and spend more money on a console in order to get a decent hockey game. EA peaked on the PC with NHL 02, and every subsequent version got worse, and doesn't seem as if anything has changed. :(

604flames
09-15-2007, 03:14 AM
Anyone else notice that when you score with QC it says "Omaha goal scored by..." ?

FlamesPuck12
09-15-2007, 11:38 AM
for all those who are complaining about the PC version, I hate to say I told you so, but.......http://forum.calgarypuck.com/showpost.php?p=987311&postcount=38
;)

but seriously, it really sucks that I threw almost 4 G's into my two gaming comps, and I still have to go out and spend more money on a console in order to get a decent hockey game. EA peaked on the PC with NHL 02, and every subsequent version got worse, and doesn't seem as if anything has changed. :(

Ugh don't need to rub it in. I can't believe this game... Honestly, I want my money back, I could do so much with all the money I spent on hockey games that was repackaged since 04...

MissKat
09-15-2007, 04:13 PM
Anyone know how to get the custom soundtracks set up?

Also if you edit players in the main menu roster and save it...will your new edited players be effective in dynasty?

Inferno
09-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Ugh don't need to rub it in. I can't believe this game... Honestly, I want my money back, I could do so much with all the money I spent on hockey games that was repackaged since 04...

Looks like my decision to get a 360 when I found out that the PC version wouldnt be Next Gen turned out to be a good one. I was going to wait the year out until the PC version turned Next Gen but I guess it never did. I always had plans to get a console but was going to stick with the hockey games on PC because of graphic mods.

Ro
09-16-2007, 02:14 PM
Ro: Yeah, as above. Change your settings to make sure that "Home Team Facing Up" is always on when at home. (Put it on down when you are away) there is no way I could play going down, or even switching for that matter.

Ro, make sure that you are always skating up. Go to your visual settings and set it to hometeam always up if your at home. I would get schooled to if I was facing down.

Thanks boys, this has helped immensely. I am getting better at firing the puck on net. Next step is to master that, then I can move on to becoming more evasive as I carry the puck into the attacking zone, because I get creamed on a regular basis by most of my online opponents. Still need to figure out the LB deke thing, and to start using the RS more to deke.

I have a few more questions-

What is with all the disconnects after I score early or get up by a few goals or right after the final whistle blows? Man that pisses me off. I haven't done it yet to an opponent, yet it happens every 3rd game or so to me. What is the penalty for that? I have given "negative rep" to a bunch of guys, but that doesn't seem to discourage people from jumping ship if they're not going to book a win.

How do I view my "skill level?" And how is that calculated exactly?

How do I get better at one-timers?

How do I score in close? More specifically, garbage type goals where the puck is loose and I just need to bang it in. I have a hard time with those. Practice I guess, but I dunno.

How do I hit more effectively? I just played a guy who, although he didn't outhit me by an insane margin, was able to knock me off the puck ALL THE TIME, and as a result, carried the play for the entire game. Is there a trick besides using the RS?

THX boys, again it's "iginlafire." And I suck a little less than before but you should be able to pad some stats against me. LOL

And also, thx to all for the 360-related posts over the past few months. It helped me convince myself to spring for one and a "live" membership, and I love it. Cheers.

Jayems
09-16-2007, 03:02 PM
I have a few more questions-

What is with all the disconnects after I score early or get up by a few goals or right after the final whistle blows? Man that pisses me off. I haven't done it yet to an opponent, yet it happens every 3rd game or so to me. What is the penalty for that? I have given "negative rep" to a bunch of guys, but that doesn't seem to discourage people from jumping ship if they're not going to book a win.

I'm not sure whats going on there, but you can quit online before the 10 minute mark in the 1st. You'll still get a DNF, and your opponent will give you a neg. rep, but ive played against people who are just cheap and score 6 one-timer goals in the first 5 minutes... well, that was before i really knew anything.

How do I view my "skill level?" And how is that calculated exactly?

If you go into xbox live, then stats, it gives you your rank in both the shootout and regular games. Is that what you mean?

How do I get better at one-timers?

I think this is more just practicing. The guys have to be pretty open (ie: no defenders close) or it just won't work. I'd recommend going into practice mode and then powerplay practice, and do it 5-on-0. Set up in the zone and just get used to how it all works.

How do I score in close? More specifically, garbage type goals where the puck is loose and I just need to bang it in. I have a hard time with those. Practice I guess, but I dunno.

I think I've scored maybe once like this. Not much opportunity i've found.

How do I hit more effectively? I just played a guy who, although he didn't outhit me by an insane margin, was able to knock me off the puck ALL THE TIME, and as a result, carried the play for the entire game. Is there a trick besides using the RS?

I've been wondering this too. It seems that some people "lock-in" to your guy with the puck, and as soon as you get past the blueline, they nail you. I've tried rolling the RS, with some success but I've found that if you try and hit too early or from too far away, the guy will go right by you and cause an odd man rush.

What I'd really like to know is how to change the team settings. Last year, you could adjust how the team plays: Crash the net, overload etc. You can change this when playing offline, but how do you do it online? Driving me crazy because I have no idea what my lines' settings are and how to best play with them. If they're set for "behind the net" and your trying to play "crash the net" it won't work the same...

Another way to get around people hitting all the time is to just get across the blueline, stop dead, and try passing across the line to another forward. Seems to work sometimes. The passing system is miles better and when you pass blindly, most times it will find a teammates stick.

Jayems
09-16-2007, 03:44 PM
I just experienced my first disconnect at the end of the game.... No win? Nothing...

EA really dropped the ball. This will RUIN online play.

Winsor_Pilates
09-16-2007, 04:47 PM
The more I play this game the better it gets. I love this game now!!

Any early complaints I had are all but gone, as I've learned how to play properly. Havn't played online yet, but offline and dynasty mode is awesome.

Note to Keanen
Tanguay-Lombardi-Iginla
Best line ever, video games don't lie.

I have had some extremley intense games in my season. I don't think I've ever played a hockey video game that keeps me as intensely on the edge of my seat.
What a great game!

FlamesPuck12
09-16-2007, 10:12 PM

Any early complaints I had are all but gone, as I've learned how to play properly. Havn't played online yet, but offline and dynasty mode is awesome.

Note to Keanen
Tanguay-Lombardi-Iginla

I have had some extremley intense games in my season. I don't think I've ever played a hockey video game that keeps me as intensely on the edge of my seat.
What a great game!

Do you have the Xbox 360 version or the PC one?

Winsor_Pilates
09-16-2007, 11:17 PM
Do you have the Xbox 360 version or the PC one?

psicodude
09-17-2007, 10:26 AM

Note to Keanen
Tanguay-Lombardi-Iginla

What a great game!
###.

I scored against the 'Nucks last night with 20 seconds left in the 3rd for the win, and I woke up my son. :D

Huge improvment this year, and I actually feel like the 60 bucks was money well spent.

CaramonLS
09-17-2007, 10:52 AM
Really? I thought Owen Nolan looked a lot like Cale Hulse for some reason. I was actually annoyed that a former nhl cover guy didn't have his face scanned in.

As far as I can tell, the ps3 version seems to be less buggy. Granted, there are 10x's less owners of ps3's, so getting an accurate sample is somewhat of an issue.

Game is awesome, but could be frustrating to people who aren't avid hockey gamers as it can be quite difficult.

Game is freezing a ton for me (PS3 version). A total of 5 freezes in about 3 days of playing.

I also get raped frequently by the AI, it is seemingly impossible for me to score (on pro mode), even though I pile up 30-40 shots per game - one timers, blasts from the point, doesn't matter - I'm lucky to score more than 2 goals per game.

ernie
09-17-2007, 11:10 AM
Game is freezing a ton for me (PS3 version). A total of 5 freezes in about 3 days of playing.

I also get raped frequently by the AI, it is seemingly impossible for me to score (on pro mode), even though I pile up 30-40 shots per game - one timers, blasts from the point, doesn't matter - I'm lucky to score more than 2 goals per game.

I've had one freeze on the 360 version but I think it was more or less my fault. I was rushing through the menus and I think I choked it.

I haven't found scoring on the default setting hard at all. I've averaged over 5 goals a game through the first 10 games. I'm starting to play with the sliders a bit and will investigate going to All-star level (I have a feeling i'm sort of in between difficulty levels so will get my butt handed to me on All-star).

In order to score do the things you would do in hockey. Get traffic in front of the net and get a low shot from the point through the screen or for a deflection. Fake the shot and get the goaltender to bite. Get the goaltender moving from side to side. Cycle the puck and control the zone. It's hard to keep on going back to the same play again and again as they will shut you down so get a variety of plays going. I find it helps to have your lines using different offensive strategies to keep the computer AI guessing a bit more.

Jayems
09-17-2007, 05:25 PM
Anyone experiencing this online?

It keeps resetting my RBK jersey code, so I have to enter it again. Very annoying. Also, it checks for new rosters, downloads them, and then saves them EVERY time i try to play someone.

Anyone know the remedy for this?

Nabber
09-17-2007, 06:02 PM
Yeah was at the movie store the other night, completely forgot about this game had to pick it up. Rented it for 360 and have had no problems with the freezing, try what that other poster suggested taking off the autosave because I did to begin with.

Game play is great, I find it fairly similar to 07 but a little harder to deak opponents which is good. Jerseys look cool too. As someone mentioned Tanguay-Lombardi-Iggy lines is crazy in this game, but I still think my line of Gagne-Lombardi-Iggy was better from 07, hey I need the free salary space Gagne gave me :) .

FlamesPuck12
09-17-2007, 06:20 PM
I think Conroy is overated in the game. It keeps telling me that he has better stats than Tanguay...

Hemi-Cuda
09-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Yeah was at the movie store the other night, completely forgot about this game had to pick it up. Rented it for 360 and have had no problems with the freezing, try what that other poster suggested taking off the autosave because I did to begin with.

Game play is great, I find it fairly similar to 07 but a little harder to deak opponents which is good. Jerseys look cool too. As someone mentioned Tanguay-Lombardi-Iggy lines is crazy in this game, but I still think my line of Gagne-Lombardi-Iggy was better from 07, hey I need the free salary space Gagne gave me :) .

man if Lombardi was half the player he is in NHL 08 he'd be a superstar. i can score goals with him easier than even Iginla, and try as i might to get Iggy the Hart and Richard trophies, Lombardi manages to figure into every point i get with Iginla

redmile04
09-17-2007, 07:44 PM
Is there anyway during a dynasty mode to call up players from the minors? or is it just that you can play AHL teams.

FlamesPuck12
09-17-2007, 07:46 PM
Is there anyway during a dynasty mode to call up players from the minors? or is it just that you can play AHL teams.

I think you can on NHL 08 PS3 / Xbox360 version, not quite sure but I know you CANT do that on the PC / PS2 version.

Delthefunky
09-17-2007, 09:54 PM

Well if it's the same, which it should be, you just have to go to "Roster Moves" under the GM section and then go down to your farm team, select the player and you can move him up if you have room . . .

redmile04
09-17-2007, 10:00 PM
Well if it's the same, which it should be, you just have to go to "Roster Moves" under the GM section and then go down to your farm team, select the player and you can move him up if you have room . . .

I am guessing thats for xbox 360 and ps3 since the above post by chobyhy says you cant for ps2..

I am guessing there no way at all for ps2

FlamesPuck12
09-17-2007, 10:27 PM
I am guessing thats for xbox 360 and ps3 since the above post by chobyhy says you cant for ps2..

I am guessing there no way at all for ps2

I have never played PS3 or Xbox360 version but I read on their main site that you can actually develop your players in AHL associated with your franchise. However in PS2 and PC version, it is the same as 07 where you just use that crap Minor League Management menu and AHL league is a seperate league itself, not associated with the dynasty mode.

Nabber
09-17-2007, 11:32 PM
Damn EA, got Moss as a lefty and you can't even change it in the edit player menu.

and yeah you can call up as many player from Quad City, the roster is pretty up to date too, which I've wanted NHL games to do forever.

FlamesPuck12
09-17-2007, 11:39 PM
Damn EA, got Moss as a lefty and you can't even change it in the edit player menu.

and yeah you can call up as many player from Quad City, the roster is pretty up to date too, which I've wanted NHL games to do forever.

Hmm strange I thought I saw Moss as a righty in my game. I'll have to check on that.
Anyway Moss became a star player 2nd year into my dynasty, I hope that comes true. Also Flames won the president's trophy the first year with our current roster with the whole season simmed, I hope thats true as well...

Jayems
09-17-2007, 11:49 PM
yay. Shaw came today and fixed my internet **hopefully** its been 20 games, and 20 wins. No disconnects. Saweeeeet.

FlamesPuck12
09-17-2007, 11:55 PM
Also, for the Dynasty Mode players, post your current roster...
I tried to resist the urge of stacking my team but it turned out that second season into my Dynasty, I couldn't help myself so I made one side trades with the computer. (Eg. Getting Scott Niedmayer from Free Agent pool and trading him for Vlasic)

Calgary Flames (In my Dynasty Mode)
Kovalchuk - Spezza - Iginla
Huselius - Langkow - Thomas
Stasny - Lombardi - Svatos
Nilson - Primeau - Moss
Regehr - Vlasic
Ehrhoff - Phaneuf
Carle - Sarich
Kiprusoff - Mclennen (Working on getting another back up)

I only gave up Conroy and Tanguay for Spezza. I wanted to keep Tanguay but he wouldn't negotiate with me after I lowballed him 3 times.

Jayems
09-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Online Lines:

Tanguay-Lombardi-Iginla
Huselius-Conroy-Nolan
Friesen-Langkow-Nilson
Primeau-Yelle-McCarty

Works Awesome.

jayswin
09-18-2007, 01:01 AM
My roster is......

Tanger - Lombo -Iggy
HUselius - Langs - Nolan
Preems - Conroy - Moss
Nilson - Yelle - Boyd

I don't know how the hell to play 08 though. I was really good at '07, now I can't seem to do anything offensivly. Although the offensive zone set up ability is pretty cool.

FlamesPuck12
09-18-2007, 01:36 AM
My roster is......

Tanger - Lombo -Iggy
HUselius - Langs - Nolan
Preems - Conroy - Moss
Nilson - Yelle - Boyd

I don't know how the hell to play 08 though. I was really good at '07, now I can't seem to do anything offensivly. Although the offensive zone set up ability is pretty cool.

Best strat I have is the 2 on 1 one timer if the D commits to the guy with the puck.
The other one is to stay close to the side and speed burst to like a meter or two away from the goal line then cut into the net (This way you lose the Defence) then stick handle and deak the goalie and roof it top. Goalie will most likely commit at the first deak

zukes
09-18-2007, 06:31 AM
My game for PS3 has frozen 5 times in the same spot. I am too stubborn to sim past it. I am about 5 games into my dynasty and it freezes after I play the Worcester Sharks. I have played that game out 5 times and I can't get past the end screen. It always locks up when I try to exit the game. I have won 3 times and lost twice. It doesn't seem to matter what happens.

zukes
09-18-2007, 06:32 AM
It sucks because this is easily the best hockey game that has ever been made, but the freeze issues are going to ruin it.

FlamesKickAss
09-18-2007, 08:06 AM
I beat phoenix last night on superstar with hartford wolfpack on superstar. Thank god for good goaltending. That was a fun challenge though, won 1-0!! and got all 3 stars. Couldnt imagine playing a harder nhl team. These achievements are tough

Nabber
09-18-2007, 12:48 PM
My lines

Tanguay-Lombo-Iggy
Bell(who sucks gonna trade him)-Conroy-Nolan
Prust-Langkow-Van Der Gilk
Primeau-Yelle-Nilson

Same team D

Can you do achievements for the XBOX 360, I can't find them?

jayswin
09-18-2007, 01:08 PM
You can, but I haven't ben able to find them either.

I-Hate-Hulse
09-18-2007, 01:19 PM
Gave both EA and 2K8 a try... EA is definately more of a realistic sim type game, whereas I found 2k8 to be more "arcadey". Which isn't to say it's worse, just a different style.

No matter what I try, I still can't get used to the skill stick. Wasn't scoring for jack. I switched to Classic controls and promptly potted mega goals against Toronto. Interestingly enough, the skill stick still works in Classic mode so you can still deke / take shots with it.

Jayems
09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
Online all the time
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Play 50 Online Ranked Versus Games
Acquired 9/17/2007

Beating tough competition
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Beat an opponent ranked Online in the Top 50
Acquired 9/17/2007

Shorthanded, No Problem
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Score a Shorthanded Goal in an Online Ranked Versus Game
Acquired 9/15/2007

Penalty Shot Hero
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Score a goal on the penalty shot in Pro Mode
Acquired 9/14/2007

OT Winner
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Win an Online Ranked Versus Game in Overtime
Acquired 9/13/2007

Shootout King
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Play 25 Online Ranked Shootout Games
Acquired 9/13/2007

Shutting the door
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Record a shutout in an Online Ranked Versus Game
Acquired 9/12/2007

Shoot it!
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Record 25 shots in 1 period of play on Superstar Mode

Penalty Kill special
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Score a goal when 2 men down on Pro Mode.

Last Minute of play
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Score a goal in the last minute of play on Superstar Mode

AHL® upset
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Beat an NHL® team with an AHL® team on Superstar Mode

Elite League upset
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Beat an NHL® team with an Elite League team on Superstar Mode

Stay out of the box
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Play an entire game in Superstar Mode without getting a penalty

He Shoots, He Scores
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Score a goal with the Goalie on Superstar Mode

Players of the game
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Earn all 3 stars in Superstar Mode

Create a Team
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile use a Created Team in a Play Now game

Create a Skater
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile use a Created Skater in a Play Now game

Create a Goalie
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile use a Created Goalie in a Play Now game

Goalie's nightmare
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Score 70 Goals with one player in Dynasty Mode

On a roll
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Win 5 games in a row in the Playoffs in Dynasty Mode

Regular Season best
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile have your Team finish the regular season with the best overall record

Tournament Champs
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Win the EA Sports World Tournament

Fun for all
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Be on the winning team in an Online Team Play game

Playing as a team
As NHL® 08 Lead Profile win an Online Ranked VS. Game with a friend on the same Xbox 360 console

Shootout Mastery
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Win an Online Ranked Versus Game in Shootout Overtime

Seeing lots of rubber
As the lead NHL® 08 Profile Record 40 shots or more on goal in an Online Ranked Versus Game

Finner
09-18-2007, 01:40 PM
Do you guys ever have an issue with the 360 where it gives you a dirty disc error?

Anyone know how to fix it? I could just go get another one at EB but it doesn't look scratched to me. It also freezes ever 3/4 games.

Jayems
09-18-2007, 01:45 PM
Do you guys ever have an issue with the 360 where it gives you a dirty disc error?

Anyone know how to fix it? I could just go get another one at EB but it doesn't look scratched to me. It also freezes ever 3/4 games.

EA recommends that if you experience a freeze or a "lost connection to opponent" you should restart your console or else you are more likely to experience a freeze. They are apparently working on this issue.

phaneuf_train
09-18-2007, 04:58 PM
I usually just switch Lombardi with Conroy and switch Nilson and Nolan.

Anybody having issues with the menus not working at all? Mine has been pretty much at a frozen state since last night now.

REDVAN
09-18-2007, 08:49 PM
Tanguay-Lombardi-Iginla

I have gotten over my hatred for the game and quite enjoy it, maybe it just took some getting used to. Same problems though, is once you figure out the game, it's hard not to win 6-1 or 8-2 os something crazy.

I also have this as my top line.

Tanguay-Lombardi-Iginla
Huselius-Conroy-Moss
Boyd-Langkow-Nolan
Primeau-Yelle-Nilson

If Lombardi really does continue to develop, we might have one too may top 6 forwards- never a bad problem to have.

jar_e
09-18-2007, 10:33 PM
I haven't read through the whole thread but has anyone had any luck with the online team play? The furthest I've gotten is into the anthems than it boots me out.

And would anyone be in for a CP league? not sure how they all work but I'm sure i can't be that hard...

redmile04
09-18-2007, 10:35 PM
I have gotten over my hatred for the game and quite enjoy it, maybe it just took some getting used to. Same problems though, is once you figure out the game, it's hard not to win 6-1 or 8-2 os something crazy.

I also have this as my top line.

Tanguay-Lombardi-Iginla
Huselius-Conroy-Moss
Boyd-Langkow-Nolan
Primeau-Yelle-Nilson

If Lombardi really does continue to develop, we might have one too may top 6 forwards- never a bad problem to have.

I agree i find it sort of easy now I keep winning by scores like 6-2 or 4-1.. any options anyone can recommend to make it more of a challenge?

I find the shot aim frustrating so I put it all the way.. could that be a reason why I am doing so much beter than the computer, i play on diificult mode

phaneuf_train
09-18-2007, 10:52 PM
I haven't read through the whole thread but has anyone had any luck with the online team play? The furthest I've gotten is into the anthems than it boots me out.

And would anyone be in for a CP league? not sure how they all work but I'm sure i can't be that hard...
Search for "calpuck" password: iggy. Not to many games are being played though. :whistle:

Ive had no luck at all for online teamplay.

gallione11
09-19-2007, 09:04 AM
Tanguay-Conroy-Iginla
Huselius-Langkow-Lombardi
Nilson-Yelle-Nolan
Boyd-Primeau-Moss

I agree with people that Kipper can suck...hard in this game. I'm almost thinking that maybe there's a common programming error in the goalie ratings, where with the added ratings bonuses with Franchise Upgrades and Morale, that Kippers ratings "overflow" and go back down to very low numbers. I can't think of any other thing that accounts for Kipper having a 3.16 GAA and .835 SP, while my backup McElhinney has a 0.75 GAA and .932 SP.

This is the PS2 version if it matters.

And for those PC/PS2 people wanting to call people up from QC, you cannot in Dynasty mode. Best option is to just add those players you want from QC before you start the Dynasty and then use the Current Rosters options. I picked up Boyd, McElhinney, Prust and Nystrom.

zukes
09-19-2007, 09:19 AM
I simmed past the one game that I had problems and playd 4 more last night with no problems.

I got about 35 seconds into agame where I was playing against two dudes, but then it froze.

gallione11
09-19-2007, 09:31 AM
Oh, that reminds me, I've had the freezing problem too on PS2. It's only happened when trying to load the arena before a game.

It seems like it only happens when I leave the game on for a bit of time (10+ minutes) on the Dynasty Central screen. Just in case though, I've gotten into the habit of saving after every game.

Hemi-Cuda
09-19-2007, 12:03 PM
Tanguay-Conroy-Iginla
Nilson-Yelle-Nolan
Boyd-Primeau-Moss

I agree with people that Kipper can suck...hard in this game. I'm almost thinking that maybe there's a common programming error in the goalie ratings, where with the added ratings bonuses with Franchise Upgrades and Morale, that Kippers ratings "overflow" and go back down to very low numbers. I can't think of any other thing that accounts for Kipper having a 3.16 GAA and .835 SP, while my backup McElhinney has a 0.75 GAA and .932 SP.

And for those PC/PS2 people wanting to call people up from QC, you cannot in Dynasty mode. Best option is to just add those players you want from QC before you start the Dynasty and then use the Current Rosters options. I picked up Boyd, McElhinney, Prust and Nystrom.

Kipper is quite good in NHL 08 for the 360. he leads all goaltenders in my dynasty with a 1.38GAA and .976 save % after simming a bit. Iginla is also dominating having twice as many goals as the 2nd place guy

i find that how you play your games affects how the rest are simmed. if i concentrate on scoring a lot of goals with Iginla and getting Kipper good stats, it seems to carry over to when i simulate a month or two

604flames
09-19-2007, 01:07 PM
Anyone else hope they add broken sticks for '09?

phaneuf_train
09-19-2007, 01:13 PM
No. Same thing with broken glass. I don't think the NHL tries to have those 2 things happen so I don't think it will be in the game.

sclitheroe
09-19-2007, 01:14 PM

I've seen a player drop his stick, then reach down to pick it up again. This is on the PS2 - I don't remember seeing that in '07.

Anyone else notice that goalies get hit in the mask a lot this year?

-Scott

604flames
09-19-2007, 02:19 PM
No. Same thing with broken glass. I don't think the NHL tries to have those 2 things happen so I don't think it will be in the game.
True, but it would certainly add an extra dose of realism.

redmile04
09-19-2007, 02:22 PM
Tanguay-Conroy-Iginla
Nilson-Yelle-Nolan
Boyd-Primeau-Moss

Hey i was wondering if you could tell me how to add them? I have ps2 and want to use some players... thanks

gallione11
09-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Hey i was wondering if you could tell me how to add them? I have ps2 and want to use some players... thanks

You have to add them before you begin your Dynasty. Go to Roster Management, drop a few of the bums that are on the Flames for some reason (Friesen, McCarty, Mclennan etc.) into free agency. Then go to the QC roster, and drop the players you want into free agency. Then you can go "sign" them on the Flames.

Then, go to Dynasty Mode -> NHL -> New and create a new one. Somewhere in the options is "Use Current Rosters". Make sure that is set correctly, and you'll have them on the team. It's not truly calling them up like you can do on the 360 or PS3 versions, but it beats having to create them from scratch.

redmile04
09-19-2007, 02:54 PM
You have to add them before you begin your Dynasty. Go to Roster Management, drop a few of the bums that are on the Flames for some reason (Friesen, McCarty, Mclennan etc.) into free agency. Then go to the QC roster, and drop the players you want into free agency. Then you can go "sign" them on the Flames.

Then, go to Dynasty Mode -> NHL -> New and create a new one. Somewhere in the options is "Use Current Rosters". Make sure that is set correctly, and you'll have them on the team. It's not truly calling them up like you can do on the 360 or PS3 versions, but it beats having to create them from scratch.

I agree 100 %, I was just gonan start a dynasty mode now with a really limited roster haha cause I wanna use the exact flames roster but this helps a lot . Thanks!

MissKat
09-20-2007, 11:40 PM
These are my lines - spreading them over 3 scoring lines. man Sarich and Phaneuf pairing sucks bad haha. Im playing on superstar btw. 14-14-4, holy the games are so intense. I have all my sliders at the max difficulty (fatigue up, recovery down, etc). Big challenge but i love it. I really have to play D in this game or the AI really makes you pay. Most of the games are one goal decisions.

Tanguay-Conroy-Iginla
Hesulius-Langkow-Moss
Boyd-Lombardi-Nolan
Nilson-Yelle-Primeau

Regehr-Aucoin
Sarich-Phaneuf
Erikson-Giordano

scratched warrener, he sucks in the game just like in real life lol. He only fills in for injuries, Hale is my 8th dman.

MissKat
09-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Tanguay-Conroy-Iginla
Nilson-Yelle-Nolan
Boyd-Primeau-Moss

You can always edit kippers stats in the main roster menu and bump it up and then reload them in your dynasty. I did this too because he should be a bit higher than what he is ranked.

redmile04
09-21-2007, 12:01 AM
These are my lines - spreading them over 3 scoring lines. man Sarich and Phaneuf pairing sucks bad haha. Im playing on superstar btw. 14-14-4, holy the games are so intense. I have all my sliders at the max difficulty (fatigue up, recovery down, etc). Big challenge but i love it. I really have to play D in this game or the AI really makes you pay. Most of the games are one goal decisions.

Tanguay-Conroy-Iginla
Hesulius-Langkow-Moss
Boyd-Lombardi-Nolan
Nilson-Yelle-Primeau

Regehr-Aucoin
Sarich-Phaneuf
Erikson-Giordano

scratched warrener, he sucks in the game just like in real life lol. He only fills in for injuries, Hale is my 8th dman.

Thats interesting... Im 3-0 so far just started with this roster Tanguay-Lombo-Iginla
Langkow-Conroy-Nolan
Boyd-Primeau-Huselius
Nilson-Yelle-Moss

Regehr-Phaneuf
Sarich-Aucoin
Erikson-Warrner

any tips on how to make it more of a challenge... the fatigue effect is all the way up what does that mean again ? defense is medium skating is all the way up.. shooting is all the way up... intensity is good but i put hitting power Low because all i did was hit them they never hit me much

MissKat
09-21-2007, 01:00 AM
Thats interesting... Im 3-0 so far just started with this roster Tanguay-Lombo-Iginla
Langkow-Conroy-Nolan
Boyd-Primeau-Huselius
Nilson-Yelle-Moss

Regehr-Phaneuf
Sarich-Aucoin
Erikson-Warrner

any tips on how to make it more of a challenge... the fatigue effect is all the way up what does that mean again ? defense is medium skating is all the way up.. shooting is all the way up... intensity is good but i put hitting power Low because all i did was hit them they never hit me much

Play on superstar and I guarentee you will be sweating bullets lol....my games are so intense its unreal. I have to take breathers every now and then sometimes lol just to stay focused.

THe first thing you should do is (and I recommend this to everyone) turn down the game speed and player accelleration because the default is way too fast. No way real hocke resembles that - turn the game speed to 1 notch from the left and player accel to 0. I know it may sound slow, but it is so life like. And your speedy players will actually stand out more from the rest on these settings.

Everyone tends to think that real hockey is blazing fast end to end, its not...its actually not all that fast on the ice. Also turn the shot power to 1 and shot accuracy to 1. Again the defaults are way too high.

Ive done so much slider testing (like i do every year) and I managed to completely get rid of the end to end game and bring it a lot of neutral zone play.

I like it as real life as i can get it, and run it on my settings and you will be in for the most realisitic hockey game ever. I can give you the full list of my sliders tommorow if you want.

ernie
09-21-2007, 06:49 AM
Anybody have some good slider settings for All-star?

If i play pro no matter what i do with the sliders I average 8 goals with 10 minute periods. The computer averages less than 1.

On All-star, my scoring is reasonable at about 3 goals a game but the computer is lighting me up for 5 or 6 a game. And they outshoot me by a ton. I just can't get the puck from them when i'm playing defence. It's stuck to their sticks like glue and even if I play positionally they inevitably open up a great passing lane.

zukes
09-21-2007, 10:13 AM

You don't have to relase the AHL guys, just have the Flames up on the other side of the player movement screen and move them over. That way they stay on two-way contracts.

zukes
09-21-2007, 10:14 AM
I am still having a ton of problems with freezing. It's driving me batty.

redmile04
09-21-2007, 11:27 AM
Play on superstar and I guarentee you will be sweating bullets lol....my games are so intense its unreal. I have to take breathers every now and then sometimes lol just to stay focused.

THe first thing you should do is (and I recommend this to everyone) turn down the game speed and player accelleration because the default is way too fast. No way real hocke resembles that - turn the game speed to 1 notch from the left and player accel to 0. I know it may sound slow, but it is so life like. And your speedy players will actually stand out more from the rest on these settings.

Everyone tends to think that real hockey is blazing fast end to end, its not...its actually not all that fast on the ice. Also turn the shot power to 1 and shot accuracy to 1. Again the defaults are way too high.

Ive done so much slider testing (like i do every year) and I managed to completely get rid of the end to end game and bring it a lot of neutral zone play.

I like it as real life as i can get it, and run it on my settings and you will be in for the most realisitic hockey game ever. I can give you the full list of my sliders tommorow if you want.

Hey no that should be good I play on the hardest mode whic is difficult on PS2, im 3-1 now haha average score is like 6-5 or 5-4 and i puit the shot aim near the highest and speed nearly highest also maybe I should put those lower...

redmile04
09-21-2007, 11:28 AM
Anybody have some good slider settings for All-star?

If i play pro no matter what i do with the sliders I average 8 goals with 10 minute periods. The computer averages less than 1.

On All-star, my scoring is reasonable at about 3 goals a game but the computer is lighting me up for 5 or 6 a game. And they outshoot me by a ton. I just can't get the puck from them when i'm playing defence. It's stuck to their sticks like glue and even if I play positionally they inevitably open up a great passing lane.

Stay on all-star mode I used to lose 5-0 and liek 4-2.. etc like not one goal games buit after 10-15 games of practice I am 3-1 in my dynasty so it takes time with this game.. pro would be way too easy IMO

SteveToms
09-21-2007, 01:00 PM
So overall, is the PC verison better then 07, is more realistic? No crazy scoring games? Faster players can outskate the Hatchers of the world? Etc. Should I get it?

simonsays
09-21-2007, 01:38 PM
So overall, is the PC verison better then 07
No., is more realistic? yes No crazy scoring games? plenty of crazy scoring games Faster players can outskate the Hatchers of the world? yes Etc. Should I get it? No.

MissKat
09-21-2007, 02:50 PM
Ok as promised here are my full complete sliders. I finally did figure out the aggression one. The agression only affects the CPU and determines how aggresive they are in attacking the puck carrier and taking chances as opposed to sitting back. On 0, they were way too laid back as they would never hit and never make any mistakes defensively. The settings are 0-6, the # of notches from the left....and the ones that I leave out are personal preference. Again this is on Superstar but can be done on All Star according to a friend of mine (pro no as the game is too easy). I also play 10 min periods, and all my games are close - usually one or two goal decisions and I average about 2-3 goals a game, the most ive scored was 5 (once and rare). And shots are close, 60% of the time I get outshot. And I average about 4-6 PPs a a game, penalties are evenly spread out between me and the CPU.

Game settings menu

Rules
- penalties @ 6

Gameplay settings
- game speed @ 1
- puck control @ 0
- fatigue effect @ 5
- AI learning @ 6

Skating (hit RB/LB)
- fatigue recovery @ 3
- player acceleration @ 0

Checking (hit LB/RB)
- hitting power @ 0
- aggression @ 4
- Poke effectiveness @ 4

Passing (hit RB/LB)
- pass speed @ 2
-saucer pass @ 2
- pass intercept \@ 6
- goalie passing @ 0

Shooting (hit LB/RB)
- shot accuracy @ 1
- shot power @ 1

Defense (hit LB/RB)
- shot blocking @ 6
- hook effect @ 4
- pen. shot freq @ 4
- goalie cover puck freq @ 6

Volume (MY CROWDS ARE SO LOUD NOW and feel like a real game!)
- commentator @ 5
- sound fx @ 6
- crowd @ 6
- arena music @ 4
- announcer @ 4

Another thing is I wish there was an injury slider as there isnt nearly enough injuries.

Now another thing you can do to take things a bit further is edit every player on your roster so that their attributes and flaws stand out more. Thats one thing I hated about EA NHLs, is that no matter if you are running your top line or your 4th line...you cant feel it control wise. By default, your 4th line guys can wheel and deal like your top line guys, and that to me just isnt realistic at all.

Well go into your main menu roster--->edit players and adjust each one. For ex, I made Iggy a bit faster and better along the boards and defensively, and turned down the puck handling and offensive awareness on guys like Warrener, Regehr, grinders etc. Now when I play, I can actually feel the difference when say Warrener is rushing the puck up the ice as opposed to Phaneuf. Just makes things more realistic. And with my speed settings, like I said the faster guys stand out more - so if Iggy is chasing down a loose puck for a chance on a breakaway, he will accelerate like he does in real life noticable faster than the 3rd and 4th lines chasing down the puck.

Now with these sliders, I significantly toned down the end to end arcade like play and it plays as close to a real NHL game as it gets - the pacing, neutral zone play, zone faceoffs, etc. You cant deke around defenders as easily on default, and turnovers/puck strips actually occur in the neutral zone now (just like in real life), and you actually have to be smart with your passes now and setting up plays. Also you should create a play since the AI is very good in adapting now to your breakouts....the only bad thing is, I dont think you can save more than one create a play at a time :(

Also the offensive and defensive strategies I use are - def: Normal with the PK at large box. Off: Normal with the PP at Shooting. And then obviously as the game goes on, depending on how the score is...adjust your off. and def. strategies accordingly.

redmile04
09-21-2007, 03:29 PM
Another thing is I wish there was an injury slider as there isnt nearly enough injuries.

There is a injury slider but only at the beginning when you set up ur season
And what system is this? I am on ps2 the hardest mode is difficult I dont see any superstar mode. I will be honest I would get frustrated if I played with your settings LOL i cant stand it that slow and the shot aim pisses me off when its low.. I moved the shot aim and power to 4... speed skating...etc to 4 ... defense i think 4 also.. passing i left to default.

I dont have a AI learning @ 6.. what is that?

MissKat
09-21-2007, 05:10 PM
This is for 360. Believe it or not, but defense is actually much easier to play on slower settings. Its much more realistic, and like I said the default speed settings is 4, and no way does the real NHL resemble that.

AI learning is how easily the CPU picks up on your play and adjusts accordingly. This needs to stay at 6.

SteveToms
09-22-2007, 12:40 PM
Question, are they still lots of shots hittign the post?

redmile04
09-22-2007, 12:46 PM
Question, are they still lots of shots hittign the post?

LOL in some games yes... like the wrost shots from behind the net or a bad angle where im just trying to get it on net just hit the post always for some reason.. not really dangerous chances but they never go in but hit the post often.

Hemi-Cuda
09-22-2007, 02:48 PM
LOL in some games yes... like the wrost shots from behind the net or a bad angle where im just trying to get it on net just hit the post always for some reason.. not really dangerous chances but they never go in but hit the post often.

i actually have more shots that hit the post go in than not now. seems like half the goals i score are ones that hit a post first

MissKat
09-22-2007, 07:06 PM
Has anyone figured out the best defensive strategies? Man this adaptive AI is killing me. I might have to go back to All star. Winnless in 7. And I swear the CPU is impossible in the OT and S.O on Superstar...they will always win.

My def strategy is collapsing, and large box on the PK. But still unsure which is the best defensive safe play (5 to choose from).

There is an area where 2K has a considerable edge, you can choose your breakout and even incorporate the left wing lock or trap if you wanted to. Im trying to play a 1-2-2-.

Freeway
09-23-2007, 06:13 PM
Lines now that everyone's healthy:

Tanguay - Lombardi - Iginla
Huselius - P. Bergeron - Moss
Nilson - Boyd - Hunter
Pettinger - Yelle - Primeau
(Godard)

Phaneuf - Regehr
Sarich - M. Bergeron
Warrener - Giordano
(Hale)

Kiprusoff
Krahn

redmile04
09-23-2007, 08:07 PM
Lines now that everyone's healthy:

Tanguay - Lombardi - Iginla
Huselius - P. Bergeron - Moss
Nilson - Boyd - Hunter
Pettinger - Yelle - Primeau
(Godard)

Phaneuf - Regehr
Sarich - M. Bergeron
Warrener - Giordano
(Hale)

Kiprusoff
Krahn

I had the same first line but I had to move lombardi off cause he sucked so bad at faceoffs 30 %... how is he doing for you with faceoffs and hows the chemistry of that line.

rockstar
09-23-2007, 09:44 PM
Anybody get an injury that wasn't from a hip-check? Doesn't look like they fixed that either.

Gravitykillr
09-23-2007, 10:32 PM
Anybody get an injury that wasn't from a hip-check? Doesn't look like they fixed that either.
what bugs me about the injuries is the fact that the 2 I have, both came from a hip check on a pass where my player didn't even touch the puck yet, and got drilled, but on that note, I like that if your guy a day to day or can still play through his injuries they just change his rating slightly I thought that was a great feature

calf
09-24-2007, 12:00 AM
When do the updated rosters come out? I hate having Friesen & McCarty on my lines (I know, I can send them to the minors and bring up Boyd and Moss, but I want it accurate league wide)

Jayems
09-24-2007, 12:10 AM
I'm still amazed that a broken stick hasn't been incorporated. It would suck if it happened too often, but would be a neat addition I think.

FlamesPuck12
09-24-2007, 12:55 AM
I'm still amazed that a broken stick hasn't been incorporated. It would suck if it happened too often, but would be a neat addition I think.

It would be a neat feature but I would like to see EA improve on other things before the broken sticks.

Delthefunky
09-24-2007, 12:55 AM
Is everyone playing the game for the 360 still having freezing problems? Mine will freeze the first game I play, but after I shut it off and then turn it back on again it works just fine. My xbox sounds like a rock grinder although the cd still looks ok - one little scratch that I think is causing this whole carfluffle. I think i'll swap it for a new disc. This game is amazing though, I love it. Normally it doesn't take me long to go on long winning streaks when a new version comes out, but i'm stuck on all-star mode and my record is something like 17-10-7, which is respectable I guess. I think i'll play out this season before moving onto superstar mode.

MissKat
09-24-2007, 01:53 AM
I had the same first line but I had to move lombardi off cause he sucked so bad at faceoffs 30 %... how is he doing for you with faceoffs and hows the chemistry of that line.

For me since moving up Lombo on the top line Im 4-1-1 in my last 6 (Im still playing on superstar btw):) and im now 4 games above .500. Lombo is such a good skater in this game...especially on the PK he is one of my best Pkers with primeau on the 2nd PK unit, and Conroy and Nolan have some real good chemistry on that 3rd line.

MissKat
09-24-2007, 01:54 AM
When do the updated rosters come out? I hate having Friesen & McCarty on my lines (I know, I can send them to the minors and bring up Boyd and Moss, but I want it accurate league wide)

Updated rosters is pointless since you cant turn off CPU trading in dynasty anyways.

604flames
09-24-2007, 02:03 AM
Lombo is such a good skater in this game...
Lombo is ridiculous in this game! Every game I play I can make him beat out at least one icing call..

Inferno
09-24-2007, 06:16 AM
Updated rosters is pointless since you cant turn off CPU trading in dynasty anyways.

It's pointless for some people but some would like to start their dynasty off with the rosters as updated as possible. Unfortunately for people like me who dont have Xbox Live Gold and dont want it we're stuck with having to do roster updates manually. I guess Microsoft had to find some way to make extra money.

ernie
09-24-2007, 06:36 AM
Is everyone playing the game for the 360 still having freezing problems? Mine will freeze the first game I play, but after I shut it off and then turn it back on again it works just fine. My xbox sounds like a rock grinder although the cd still looks ok - one little scratch that I think is causing this whole carfluffle. I think i'll swap it for a new disc. This game is amazing though, I love it. Normally it doesn't take me long to go on long winning streaks when a new version comes out, but i'm stuck on all-star mode and my record is something like 17-10-7, which is respectable I guess. I think i'll play out this season before moving onto superstar mode.

Same thing happened to me with Fifa 07. It would freeze the first game i played. Did that for months. Then it started freezing with other games. Then I got the red ring of death.

MissKat
09-24-2007, 02:44 PM
It's pointless for some people but some would like to start their dynasty off with the rosters as updated as possible. Unfortunately for people like me who dont have Xbox Live Gold and dont want it we're stuck with having to do roster updates manually. I guess Microsoft had to find some way to make extra money.

If there was a way to disable CPU trading I would be all for roster updates. But it always gets destroyed by game 5 anyways and the all realistic league that you are wanting to run turns into a fantasy league. :(

HelloHockeyFans
09-24-2007, 02:59 PM
I have NHL08 for PS3... fun game... just trying to learn how to use the skill stick as I can't always shoot (sometimes the player just fakes the shot). Tough game though... but then again I rarely play console games.

How do you change your team system (All out attack, defend lead, etc.) while in play?

redmile04
09-24-2007, 03:26 PM
I have NHL08 for PS3... fun game... just trying to learn how to use the skill stick as I can't always shoot (sometimes the player just fakes the shot). Tough game though... but then again I rarely play console games.

How do you change your team system (All out attack, defend lead, etc.) while in play?

I believe you have to press the left and right button on the gamepad... also do you know a way to change the control options to classic instead of skill stick?

normtwofinger
09-24-2007, 04:03 PM
not sure if this was talked about yet, but does franchise mode on 360 still have those annoying goals to meet (ie. win stanley cup, win presidents trophy, have top pp percentage in leauge, etc), and if you don't reach them do you have abandon and start all over again? sorry if this was discussed already.

zukes
09-24-2007, 08:23 PM

Square and circle

CRXguy
09-25-2007, 12:21 AM

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/nhl08/show_msgs.php?topic_id=m-1-38308876&pid=939620

first post in that thread. i had the freezing problem after a week of playing the game. tried the 'fix' a couple days ago and everything is ok now. no freezing and i've had a few hours of gameplay since.

it worked for me, so don't blame me if it makes your 360 go mad. :D

RW99
09-25-2007, 04:13 PM
Almost half of my games end with a dirty disc error. Is there a fix for this? Is this the same as the freezing error.

cgy2london
09-26-2007, 03:58 AM
finally just got the game here in the Uk yesterday. Bought an xbox 360 just for the occasion.

couple things

sometimes randomly it will apear as the controller is just going crazy? as if im doing my best to press as many buttons on it as possible, even when im not? for example when im playing teh play now option, i cant scroll side to side selecting a team with out the whole thing just go bonanza, changing the league and the team like the controller is on crack

The skill stick is ing nuts. Ive watched that video on how to use it about 10 times and i still cant seem to remeber to hold all the buttons and move them in the right direction. definitly gonna take some time to get used to all that, definitly diffrent from the days of nhl 03.

LOVE the dynasty mode. tried to send Hale to the minors, got picked up on waivers, no big loss. sent mccarty to the minors, no one picked em up. guys playing in qc now, can you imagine. scartched Premieau just because i was intrested to see how the kids would play, so ive got Moss Boyd and Tarathukin all playing. Boyd has some dangles, and Tarathukin set up iggy for a nice pk goal oddly enough in my first game.

played a game with the flames and a game wit qc. Flames beat philly 5-3 (en) and qc beat springfield 5-2. Its funny i remember shooting on Dyubnik back in cgy when he was with the NW and last night i played againts his video game character. Cam Cunning stole the show for qc last night.

Absolutly just thrilled you get to actually develope your minor league team and pull guys up and down. Great game! Just gotta learn the dangles with the skill stick

Jayems
09-27-2007, 05:36 PM
A tip:

I had a terrible stretch where I could not seem to defeat anyone, and if I did, it was by the smallest of margins... even 10000 ranked players. I had my strategies "All out attack" and "High Pressure." While I found this worked for the first week in the game, it stopped working around the second. I think it was just that people we're used to the game, and unaware of how to play properly, and had not discovered the one-timer.

Now, after some trial and error, I've found that if I choose:

Offense: All out attack
Defense: CONTAIN PUCK

This works great. The contain puck strategy is a collapsing one, which then sends one guy out to attack while the others collapse to the net, and they stay there. It is designed to stop passes into the slot, which I've found 95% of online players are constantly looking for. This, in conjunction with diciplined defense (ie: not just wildly chasing guys and trying to hit them... slow it down, back up, then anticipate the play). Ive found 85% of online players will get across the blueline and do one of the following:

1) Go all the way to the corner, look for the one-timer out front
2) Get into the circle, stop, curl around and look for a shot.

They do this because (I assume) that most players go for the big hit, and they are waiting for the sweet spot moment to do the little puck dodge thing, move in, and score.

I've found that anticipating this baffles most opponents as they become lost at what to do, and constantly try the same move over and over and over again. Another key is to take control of a winger, and stick him in front too. Keep him cloning the guy in front of the net, using poke-check.

Dumping and chasing works extremely well too when you can't get past a defender who seems to "lock onto" your guys coming across the blueline. Get just before the blueline, big slap in, then immediately take control of the other winger, and hug the boards. Works about 6/10 times.

Thats how i've found some success.

Jayems
09-27-2007, 05:42 PM
Great game! Just gotta learn the dangles with the skill stick

I have always been a PS guy, and the switch to xbox controls was not an easy one. I could never seem to take a slapper. I would wind up, then nothing. It gets easier, trust me. I couldn't go back now. You'll get the hang of it in no time.

metallicat
09-27-2007, 09:23 PM
Does anyone have some tips on pulling off the moves for this game? I watched a youtube video and this guy was pulling some crazy stunts, but I can't get them to work on the 360. Anyone know how to do this stuff?

Jayems
09-27-2007, 10:27 PM
Does anyone have some tips on pulling off the moves for this game? I watched a youtube video and this guy was pulling some crazy stunts, but I can't get them to work on the 360. Anyone know how to do this stuff?

Try this:

n321f7wyBMs

Its hard to see what he's doing on the controller, but i'm just going into practice mode to try some of them.

jar_e
09-27-2007, 10:37 PM

I'm sure this is obvious...but are you using the left bumper? That's your one on one deke button...i didn't realize that until five games in.

Jayems
09-27-2007, 10:48 PM
I'm sure this is obvious...but are you using the left bumper? That's your one on one deke button...i didn't realize that until five games in.

But its also not for the full deke. You have to tap the button halfway through your move in some cases. You make move with right analog, then tap the left bumper as you move the right analog the opposite direction

metallicat
09-27-2007, 11:33 PM
Yeah, I've been trying to use that left bumper, but I just can't get these things to work. At best, I can pull off the side-step, which isn't difficult at all.

Jayems
09-27-2007, 11:41 PM
Yeah, I've been trying to use that left bumper, but I just can't get these things to work. At best, I can pull off the side-step, which isn't difficult at all.

Try this:

Pull the right analog all the way to the right.
Press the left bumper
Move the right analog all the way to the left.

That does a neat little move.

Also:
Right analog from SE corner
Left bumper
Right analog to the NE corner.

phaneuf_train
10-05-2007, 02:12 PM
Offense: All out attack
Defense: CONTAIN PUCK

Just wondering where in the menu this is possible to change those settings for online?

Jayems
10-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Just wondering where in the menu this is possible to change those settings for online?

For some reason, you can't change online strategies (such as behind the net, crash the net etc) but you change the attack mode.

Pressing X during play will change defense, and A will change offense.

Thats what I meant by that.

But i've been finding that if you start losing or have no offense against a player, then you need to go defense to all out attack (or high pressure) to get it going.

phaneuf_train
10-05-2007, 02:33 PM
Wow Thanks!

phaneuf_train
10-05-2007, 03:05 PM
Is it only X to change plays? When I press A with or without the puck it doesn't say anything.

Second game playing around with this I got schooled 8-1:bag:

Jayems
10-05-2007, 03:23 PM
Is it only X to change plays? When I press A with or without the puck it doesn't say anything.

Second game playing around with this I got schooled 8-1:bag:

Damn, sorry. I meant to say B.

Maybe it just works for how I play, i dunno.

BlAcKNoVa
10-13-2007, 04:49 PM
I just bought this game with my new 360 yesterday. Biggest letdown of a game since I bought Xenosaga Ep. II for the PS2 3-4 years ago. Fun gameplay, gorgeous visuals for sure, but no season mode (I mean, seriously, WTF?) + not being able to turn CPU trading off in Dynasty mode = complete garbage. Me and my brother only buy these games to play Season mode. I should've researched the game a bit more. Waste of $65.

alltherage
10-13-2007, 05:15 PM
Isn't Dynasty the same as Season Mode?

Bill Bumface
10-13-2007, 05:20 PM
Isn't Dynasty the same as Season Mode?

I'm guessing a 2 player Dynasty mode would fit what he's looking for, so that he'd be able to play other people in a season, and each have their own team.

I really wish they'd have multiplayer Dynasty mode. Seems like it'd be such an easy addition.

FlamesPuck12
11-04-2007, 10:48 PM
A question for those who have the 360 or the PS3 version. Can you sign a player to a contract longer than 3 years?

CRXguy
11-04-2007, 11:44 PM
A question for those who have the 360 or the PS3 version. Can you sign a player to a contract longer than 3 years?

yes, but rookies get 3 years max.

anyone know why the cpu automatically re-signs a player even though i didn't re-sign him, or gave him a low-ball offer? any way around it?

what happened the calpuck league? i went onto xbox live and it says it doesn't exist...?

FlamesPuck12
11-05-2007, 08:21 AM
yes, but rookies get 3 years max.

anyone know why the cpu automatically re-signs a player even though i didn't re-sign him, or gave him a low-ball offer? any way around it?

what happened the calpuck league? i went onto xbox live and it says it doesn't exist...?

Thanks, also do they have RFAs and offersheets?

I_H8_Crawford
11-05-2007, 08:41 AM
I've got a NOOB question for the 360 version: how do you change D-lines during the game?

The D-pad changes my FWD lines, but I have no idea how to change up D-men when I want...

metallicat
11-05-2007, 09:26 AM
The d lines are synched with the specific forward lines. I think the 4th line plays with whatever d line is fresh and ready to go.

ernie
11-05-2007, 09:41 AM
The d lines are synched with the specific forward lines. I think the 4th line plays with whatever d line is fresh and ready to go.

that is my understanding. I notice my third pairing out with the 4th line a lot if there have been a bunch of penalties so the other 4 are tired.

One thing I'd like to see them add is changing the D-pairing separately (or at least the option). However, for the first time in years and years the line changes are actually done quickly so it isn't as big a problem as it used to be.

metallicat
11-05-2007, 09:48 AM
They are done quickly, but I still have a problem getting the right line on the ice. The d-pad doesn't work well enough for me. And I find that when I have the lines set to auto-change, they don't change at the proper times. I get caught on bad line changes too often.

Still waiting for the roster update as well.

And furthermore, is this game ridiculously hard for anyone else? I am playing in the second hardest level, and my dynasty record is 22-38-8 or something. Now granted I'm playing as the Oilers, LOL, but I just can't buy a win right now. One level easier, and the opposing team just stands around not attacking at all.

zukes
11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
And furthermore, is this game ridiculously hard for anyone else? I am playing in the second hardest level, and my dynasty record is 22-38-8 or something. Now granted I'm playing as the Oilers, LOL, but I just can't buy a win right now. One level easier, and the opposing team just stands around not attacking at all.

sounds realistic. :D Yeah on all-star and superstar, the game is hard, but I prefer that to how easy it has always been. I used to win on the highest level right out of the box. Now it's hard as hell.

ernie
11-05-2007, 09:59 AM
They are done quickly, but I still have a problem getting the right line on the ice. The d-pad doesn't work well enough for me. And I find that when I have the lines set to auto-change, they don't change at the proper times. I get caught on bad line changes too often.

Still waiting for the roster update as well.

I don't have problems getting the right line on the ice but I'm used to using the D-pad for this purpose.

DO NOT USE AUTO CHANGES. That's all i can say about that.

Difficulty level is an individual thing. I may find the difficulty and lsider settings you are using easier or tougher than mine. All i know is that playing as Washington with my difficulty settings i would be a sub 0.500 team if I hadn't made changes. Which is what it should be I guess.

zukes
11-05-2007, 10:00 AM
I am too addicted to playing online to get anywhere in a dynasty.

metallicat
11-05-2007, 10:05 AM
I don't have problems getting the right line on the ice but I'm used to using the D-pad for this purpose.

DO NOT USE AUTO CHANGES. That's all i can say about that.

Difficulty level is an individual thing. I may find the difficulty and lsider settings you are using easier or tougher than mine. All i know is that playing as Washington with my difficulty settings i would be a sub 0.500 team if I hadn't made changes. Which is what it should be I guess.There seems to be a bit of a delay though. I will hit the d-pad, and nothing will immediately appear, so I jam on the button harder, accidentally hitting the wrong line. And then for some reason, the tired #1 line is back out there. At least with auto lines, that won't happen.

But I agree, it's a lot better being difficult, than being able to win every game 10 nothing or something.

ernie
11-05-2007, 11:11 AM
There seems to be a bit of a delay though. I will hit the d-pad, and nothing will immediately appear, so I jam on the button harder, accidentally hitting the wrong line. And then for some reason, the tired #1 line is back out there. At least with auto lines, that won't happen.

But I agree, it's a lot better being difficult, than being able to win every game 10 nothing or something.

Never really noticed that except every now and then with selecting lines during stoppages. if you button mash through the cut scene you may "miss" your opportunity to select a line. If you want to miss the cutscene hit a button once and then select the line. Also note that if you iced the puck you will not be allowed to change lines.

zukes
11-05-2007, 11:53 AM
and the home team has a few more seconds in which to change their line, just like the NHL.

Jayems
12-29-2007, 05:23 PM
Ok... someone has to help me....

Every say 1/3 people I play have some sort of "lock-on" function with their D men. When I try to get in the zone... I get absolutely NAILED every time. When I try and hit, if I miss them, they go right by me.. but these guys lock-on, and will fly at you and hit you even if you get around them.

People constantly get the zone on me when I could just punish them like they do me...

What am I doing wrong? How do you guys hit? Just timing, do you double tap the right analog thingy... or is there a combination of buttons to hit... two at the same time?

Anyone know?

this is online xbox 360 btw

SarichFan
12-29-2007, 06:15 PM
I think they focus the camera on a Dman, go back to the goal line then line you up. I hate NHL 08 online.

FlamesPuck12
12-29-2007, 06:29 PM
I think anticipation is the key. If you have trouble with them, pull the 1on1 deak move at the last second. They will miss you if you pull it right and then break away!

FlamesPuck12
12-29-2007, 06:30 PM
Also anyone interested in creating a CP league? I heard we had one but got closed down due to no one playing it or something. If you're interested, give me a PM and if we get enough people, we can try to organize it.

Jayems
12-29-2007, 06:44 PM
I think anticipation is the key. If you have trouble with them, pull the 1on1 deak move at the last second. They will miss you if you pull it right and then break away!

You can only seem to pull that off 1/10 times with this though... its frustrating.... and I'm good at deking.

FlamesPuck12
12-29-2007, 07:07 PM
You can only seem to pull that off 1/10 times with this though... its frustrating.... and I'm good at deking.

Are you online right now? Wanna play a game?

Jayems
12-29-2007, 07:11 PM
Are you online right now? Wanna play a game?

nah, im out on the couch in anticipation for the game. I'll probably come play later after the game.

ID: trurocal

James.

FlamesPuck12
12-29-2007, 07:13 PM
nah, im out on the couch in anticipation for the game. I'll probably come play later after the game.

ID: trurocal

James.

k I'll go add it. I'll play you some other times then

Joborule
12-29-2007, 07:44 PM
Ok... someone has to help me....

Every say 1/3 people I play have some sort of "lock-on" function with their D men. When I try to get in the zone... I get absolutely NAILED every time. When I try and hit, if I miss them, they go right by me.. but these guys lock-on, and will fly at you and hit you even if you get around them.

People constantly get the zone on me when I could just punish them like they do me...

What am I doing wrong? How do you guys hit? Just timing, do you double tap the right analog thingy... or is there a combination of buttons to hit... two at the same time?

Anyone know?

this is online xbox 360 btw
Either they are masters at hitting with the stick, or they are using classic controls and just pressing the check button. You have to be extra mobile to get around them.

Jayems
12-29-2007, 08:22 PM
Either they are masters at hitting with the stick, or they are using classic controls and just pressing the check button. You have to be extra mobile to get around them.

Well, thats just the thing... if you can get around them, you can usually get a decent scoring chance every time because they go so far out of position...

I've had games where they've had 2-3 other guys on the team, and they come at you in waves, and is nearly impossible to get the puck carried in. But if you dump it, the third guy back just goes and picks it up...

bah.

metallicat
12-29-2007, 09:17 PM
How exactly do online leagues work anyways? Do you have to play a full 82 game schedule? What if you can't get online to play your games?

Jayems
12-29-2007, 09:18 PM
How exactly do online leagues work anyways? Do you have to play a full 82 game schedule? What if you can't get online to play your games?

you go online, go into the league section, and it tells you who is online that is affiliated with the league. You challenge them to a game. So it isn't scheduled.

Joborule
12-29-2007, 11:13 PM
Well, thats just the thing... if you can get around them, you can usually get a decent scoring chance every time because they go so far out of position...

I've had games where they've had 2-3 other guys on the team, and they come at you in waves, and is nearly impossible to get the puck carried in. But if you dump it, the third guy back just goes and picks it up...

bah.
Try skating towards the side instead of skating on an angle. They have to chase you, and they slowdown when they do.

You have to play a patient game. If you do, more times then not you'll be dominating the offense game pretty well because your getting so many chances.

FlamesPuck12
12-30-2007, 01:13 AM
Try skating towards the side instead of skating on an angle. They have to chase you, and they slowdown when they do.

You have to play a patient game. If you do, more times then not you'll be dominating the offense game pretty well because your getting so many chances.

Good Plan, I'll try that out

StoneCole
02-14-2008, 08:16 PM
bump an older thread for a rant:

I play NHL and Madden and NCAA a lot but I HATE EA...

this might have to do with:

1. the year I ordered NCAA Football off the EA website and they never shipped
2. the year I bought NCAA Football in Florida only to have it stop working within a week; EA refused to warantee it even though I couldn't buy a new one at home

*these were both before NCAA was available in Canada (pre 07 versions)

...but lately what's pissing me off is:

1. The stats in Madden when you sim a season...how is it that over 32 players in a 32 team league rush for over 1,000 yards every year (totally unrealistic)

2. the automatic resigning of players in NHL dynasty mode...not only does it resign your bums that you want to let go, it also keeps any decent FAs from reaching free-agency

I also wish they would start distinguishing RFA and UFA (meaning you don't lose RFA that "refuse to re-sign and conversely you don't have first chance at retaining UFAs)...it's ridiculous in Madden they have an RFA stage that comes before your "re-sign" players stage where you just have first chance to re-sign all your UFAs anyways.

That's all (I'm gonna' write)