PDA

View Full Version : Michigan loses in the big house

Flames in 07
09-02-2007, 02:18 PM
Did anyone catch the Michigan game yesterday. I struggle with thinking of a bigger upset than a Div II team winning in Ann Arbor. And to win by blocking a FG after Michigan puts themself in position to take the lead back. Unreal.

Displaced Flames fan
09-02-2007, 02:22 PM
Did anyone catch the Michigan game yesterday. I struggle with thinking of a bigger upset than a Div II team winning in Ann Arbor. And to win by blocking a FG after Michigan puts themself in position to take the lead back. Unreal.

Not division II.

Formerly, I-AA...which is now the Championship Division of Divion I. Big...no...HUGE step up from Division II.

Appalachian State won the National Championship last year. Can't remember who it was, but I had a huge argument last year with someone about the legitimacy of I-AA success. Kind of funny to see this happen now.

Flames in 07
09-02-2007, 04:51 PM
Not division II.

Formerly, I-AA...which is now the Championship Division of Divion I. Big...no...HUGE step up from Division II.

Appalachian State won the National Championship last year. Can't remember who it was, but I had a huge argument last year with someone about the legitimacy of I-AA success. Kind of funny to see this happen now.

Ha, it was with me.

This was a big step forward towards parity as scholorships have been reduced overtime, which is fine. It's good to see the odd upset. But if I recall right my original point at the time was the legitimacy of BSU as a national contender because they beat Oklahoma. They play cupcakes all year then have one impressive win at the end. That makes for a decent team, but not a national champion.

BTW is App State head and shoulders above the rest of the others in the Champions division?

Anyway as a bit of a OSU fan that was fun to see.

Displaced Flames fan
09-02-2007, 05:19 PM
Ha, it was with me.

This was a big step forward towards parity as scholorships have been reduced overtime, which is fine. It's good to see the odd upset. But if I recall right my original point at the time was the legitimacy of BSU as a national contender because they beat Oklahoma. They play cupcakes all year then have one impressive win at the end. That makes for a decent team, but not a national champion.

BTW is App State head and shoulders above the rest of the others in the Champions division?

Anyway as a bit of a OSU fan that was fun to see.

I don't remember talking about Boise...and they are division I anyway.

No, Appalachian State is not head and shoulders above the rest. There are probably half a dozen programs right there in any given year. These teams rarely get the opportunity to play the big dogs and this is exactly why. There is little to gain for Michigan by beating ASU...but they lost a bunch.

It's nice to see it happen. There are plenty of I-AA players in the NFL right now.

transplant99
09-03-2007, 11:56 AM
The party is still ongoing here as this place is littered with ASU grads and alumni....Boone NC is all of 70 miles away.

Im sure many in Canada who dont follow closely NCAA football understand the enormity of this upset.

I was asked to analogize it in another way last night and the best I could come up with is this...

The BC Lions (current CFL champs) travellling to New Engalnd (top 5 team in the NFL but not champs last year although close) and beating them in their own stadium.

Unheard of and seemingly impossible.

Displaced Flames fan
09-03-2007, 12:17 PM
It's going to be tougher for the top 1-AA teams to get games with division one programs now. Montana doesn't even have one on their schedule this year. Probably because they've beaten 2 division one teams in the last 10 years (Idaho and Oregon State....clearly not Michigans).

It will be interesting to see how the season plays out for Appalachian State. Might be tough for them to stay focussed and keep their heads small. The 1-AA playoffs are no picnic!

FlamingLonghorn
09-03-2007, 01:12 PM
It's going to be tougher for the top 1-AA teams to get games with division one programs now. Montana doesn't even have one on their schedule this year. Probably because they've beaten 2 division one teams in the last 10 years (Idaho and Oregon State....clearly not Michigans).

It will be interesting to see how the season plays out for Appalachian State. Might be tough for them to stay focussed and keep their heads small. The 1-AA playoffs are no picnic!

I would think that someone like Conference USA might be offering them a spot if they win the national title again this year...

Displaced Flames fan
09-03-2007, 01:16 PM
I would think that someone like Conference USA might be offering them a spot if they win the national title again this year...

I wonder what the enrollment requirements are.

tripin_billie
09-10-2007, 08:16 AM
Oh man, it just keeps getting worse for Michigan. Losing to the unranked Oregon.

Seriously, they need to start winning soon because at first, it was really funny, now it is just hurting the Big Ten.

Flames in 07
09-11-2007, 07:06 PM

I wonder what ratings they could generate. It's about more than ability, it's largely around the fan base at a game and more importantly the fan base that watches and travels.

Nobody wants you if you will bring 15 fans to a bowl game. Bowl committees will put a red X on the conference, which means no bowl money for the conference.

FlamingLonghorn
09-11-2007, 07:25 PM
I wonder what ratings they could generate. It's about more than ability, it's largely around the fan base at a game and more importantly the fan base that watches and travels.

Nobody wants you if you will bring 15 fans to a bowl game. Bowl committees will put a red X on the conference, which means no bowl money for the conference.

I didn't think about it from that angle. How many people go to the Div 1-AA national title game though? I'm sure I can find that somewhere. I don't see them being less of a draw than some of those other low tier Div 1 teams like Arkansas St., Florida International, etc....

Flames in 07
09-11-2007, 08:22 PM
I didn't think about it from that angle. How many people go to the Div 1-AA national title game though? I'm sure I can find that somewhere. I don't see them being less of a draw than some of those other low tier Div 1 teams like Arkansas St., Florida International, etc....

True, but you don't see C-USA looking to recruit Florida International or AkSt. either.

I think what we will se evolve is simply a little more parity between the leagues. Which is fine, makes for better games.

FlamingLonghorn
09-11-2007, 10:17 PM
True, but you don't see C-USA looking to recruit Florida International or AkSt. either.

I think what we will se evolve is simply a little more parity between the leagues. Which is fine, makes for better games.

Yeah maybe Conf USA is little to big but maybe Sun Belt or Mid American?

JayP
09-11-2007, 10:47 PM

I think App. St. is content with being a 1-AA power rather than a small time 1-A team from what I've heard.