PDA

View Full Version : UEFA President Platini Proposes Champions League Format Change

Thunderball
08-30-2007, 10:08 AM
MONACO (AFP) - UEFA president Michel Platini on Thursday unveiled what are seen as controversial plans to open up the Champions League, European football's showcase club tournament, to wider competition from 2009.

Under Platini's proposals, England, Italy and Spain would all have three teams that qualify automatically for the Champions League group stages via their domestic league.

Their domestic cup winners would enter a parallel qualifying competition along with 13 other cup winners across Europe for four places in the lucrative group stage of the Champions League.

The proposal will go before UEFA's executive committe in November for ratification.

Platini insisted: "We are not changing the format of the Champions League, there is no question of that."

Under Platini's plans, six more countries will be represented in the Champions League, raising to 16 from nine the number of champions taking part.

He stressed that it should be the clubs "who win rather than those who are richer or have better media rights who should play".

Platini's proposals, designed to open up the competition to smaller clubs, come in reaction to his belief that the group stages of the Champions League are dominated by an elite few from major footballing nations.

UEFA are also planning to revamp the UEFA Cup so that it resembles more closely that of the Champions League. Under the proposals, the Intertoto Cup would be scrapped.

The former France legend and coach also outlined plans for moving the Champions League to the weekend to ensure a more family-oriented spectacle.

"Among some other ideas I'd like to put in place is that for the big finals 75 percent of the spectators are supporters, that there are places reserved for fans," he said.

"When I went to the Champions League final in Athens last season, I was really disappointed that there wasn't a child in the stadium. That's not due to Greece but because it was on a Wednesday, making it difficult for families to attend."

Currently England, Italy and Spain can enter four teams each in the Champions League - two automatically for the lucrative group stages, the other two through the third qualifying round of the competition.

What do you guys think of this? Personally, I think the 4 teams each from Italy, England and Spain more often than not make the tournament exciting, since they are typically the best teams in the tournament. Taking a spot away from the big 3 might end up taking away exciting teams like Liverpool, Valencia and Roma.

VANFLAMESFAN
08-30-2007, 11:09 AM
Being here in Canada, I would love to see champions league games on the weekend. That way they can have early games and late games on TV!!

Thunderball
08-30-2007, 11:23 AM
Being here in Canada, I would love to see champions league games on the weekend. That way they can have early games and late games on TV!!

That part would be fun, except it would seriously screw up the domestic leagues, which are also on TV saturday and sunday morning/afternoons on Sportsnet, Setanta, TLN, RAI and FSWC.

VANFLAMESFAN
08-30-2007, 11:46 AM
That part would be fun, except it would seriously screw up the domestic leagues, which are also on TV saturday and sunday morning/afternoons on Sportsnet, Setanta, TLN, RAI and FSWC.

Well during the season, the teams that have champions league games on the same day as a scheduled league game just mke up the league game at another time. For example, 2 weeks ago, both Liverpool and Arsenal had mid-week games scheduled for the EPL, but also had 3rd round qualifying games for the Champions League. The EPL games are simply re-scheduled and made up at another time. Simple.

Thunderball
08-30-2007, 12:12 PM
This is true. Last season when Juventus was in B, they had a bunch of games re-scheduled because the nearly the full starting 11 had international duties that Serie A and the premier leagues schedule.

kdogg
08-30-2007, 12:48 PM
Could teams from England, Spain, and Italy just go the longer qualifiying route?
________
Harmed By Wellbutrin (http://www.classactionsettlements.org/lawsuit/wellbutrin/)

kdogg
08-30-2007, 02:05 PM
After reading another article, I say no. I rather see better teams than 'Winners' of smaller leagues.
________
CHEAP GLASS PIPES (http://glasspipes.net/)

Thunderball
08-30-2007, 02:08 PM
After reading another article, I say no. I rather see better teams than 'Winners' of smaller leagues.

Exactly, there are relegation battlers in the big 3 leagues (and arguably France and Germany too) that would easily beat some of these champions of minnow leagues... and where's the fun in that?