PDA

View Full Version : CFL Tranactions

Flickered Flame
08-19-2007, 06:03 PM
A couple of interesting transactions today in the CFL,

the Riders have sent Armstead to the Cats for Corey Holmes and Chris Getzlaf.
http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=216506&hubname=

And the Argos have picked up Robert Edwards after he was released by the Als.
http://tsn.ca/cfl/news_story/?ID=216475&hubname=

Bobblehead
08-19-2007, 06:43 PM
Edwards has been wanting more chances. Good pickup for the Argos.

And the Cats didn't need Holmes with the monster Lumsden is turning into.

flip
08-19-2007, 08:31 PM
wow will we see a resurgence for corey holmes. i know he said he was always sad that he left regina. hopefully he'll be rejuvinated. the riders used to run a pretty deadly offence with keith and holmes in the backfield maybe they can do the same with cates and holmes.

Displaced Flames fan
08-19-2007, 08:37 PM
Evidently Charles Rogers has interest from more than 1 CFL team. He may be signing very soon.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2981439

Machiavelli
08-19-2007, 09:09 PM
I'm sure John Avery is ecstatic with the Edwards pickup. Man that guy just can't catch a break.

JD
08-20-2007, 01:22 PM
I'm surprised Charles Rogers hasn't been given another chance in the NFL. While his career with the Lions was a flop, it wasn't as big a flop as say Ryan Leaf... he was OK when he did play, but rarely played because of injuries and other off-field issues (substance abuse). He was certainly never worth the money being paid to him, though.

You'd think he could still be used as a serviceable WR, a project with pretty big upside.

That said, it'll be interesting to see where he surfaces in the CFL. I would say teams like Calgary, BC and Saskatchewan don't need him. Even Toronto is pretty stacked at receiver. I would guess Montreal or Winnipeg?

Cerebral
08-20-2007, 01:28 PM
That said, it'll be interesting to see where he surfaces in the CFL. I would say teams like Calgary, BC and Saskatchewan don't need him. Even Toronto is pretty stacked at receiver. I would guess Montreal or Winnipeg?
Toronto and Montreal were the first two teams to come to mind. I don't think Winnipeg will show much interest, they already have a pretty solid group of receivers.

Bench Warmer
08-20-2007, 01:29 PM
I'm surprised Charles Rogers hasn't been given another chance in the NFL. While his career with the Lions was a flop, it wasn't as big a flop as say Ryan Leaf... he was OK when he did play, but rarely played because of injuries and other off-field issues (substance abuse). He was certainly never worth the money being paid to him, though.

You'd think he could still be used as a serviceable WR, a project with pretty big upside.

BC might be interested - they're banged up at receiver with Simon out and neither Simmons nor Cory Rodgers have made a real big impact this year. The Riders may be too with the trading of Armstead as they could potentially use another receiver but I can't see it being Rogers (see it being a rookie). Edmonton would definately be interested IMO and actually, I think all the Eastern teams would take a look except for possibly Winnipeg as they have a real good core in Armstrong, Stegall and the emergence of Edwards this year.

OzSome
08-20-2007, 02:14 PM
I think Toronto Argonauts will be the one to sign him with ridiculous amount of dollars. They tend to like signing NFL rejects with trouble with the law or the league. Or someone who can't make it to the NFL ie: that pot smoking Ricky Williams, that has-been Tim Couch and I am sure people here can name more..

JD
08-20-2007, 02:22 PM
You're thinking of Eric Crouch, but now that Tim Couch has been cut by Jacksonville, anything is possible in the Centre of the Universe!

Bench Warmer
08-20-2007, 09:55 PM
Rogers is on the Als neg list so I'm not sure how 3 teams can be in the running for him as he is Als property (unless of course they have made it known to Rogers agents they may deal him to 2 other teams). Apparently, Hardcore Sports Radio on Sirius mentioned the Riders are rumoured to be one of the other teams interested in him. That said, I believe it's very unlikely you'll see him in a Rider jersey - he'll be an Alouette.