PDA

View Full Version : Bonds hits 755!

ricoFlame
08-04-2007, 08:31 PM
just tied hank aaron with #755. 2nd inning vs. san diego. wow

RyZ
08-04-2007, 08:33 PM
BOOOOOOOOOOOOO! I'm fully on the hater train.

ricoFlame
08-04-2007, 08:37 PM
whatev, you still have to hit 'em, otherwise anyone woulda roided up and hit bombs.

ricoFlame
08-04-2007, 08:38 PM
...and it was with a canadian made sam bat.

transplant99
08-04-2007, 08:39 PM
whatev, you still have to hit 'em, otherwise anyone woulda roided up and hit bombs.

Lots did...he is just better at it.

He will be brought down at some point in time. Whether it be for perjury to the Grand jury or solid evidence of doing them....he will at some point be stricken from the record book.

That is a day I will celebrate.

Til then...good for him.

vicphoenix13
08-04-2007, 08:41 PM
I don't care what anyone says, Hank Aaron is still the homerun king. To have your homerun record stolen by a cheater must make Mr. Aaron sick. If only Bonds had stayed clean!

transplant99
08-04-2007, 08:45 PM
I dont even care that he did steroids...i have a feeling MOST were for a while there.

I care that he has lied about doing them...its insulting to my intelligence when he says he never "knowingly" took them.

I dont need a blood test to prove it either...i have two eyes and I saw what he once looked like when he was one of the best players in the game without hitting 60 bombs a year.

When a guy puts on 40 lbs of muscle, his head grows 3 sizes, and most damningly, his foot size went up 3 sizes as well...at the age of 35....then dnies he had any foreign substances assisting him, he is a lying sack of crap that deserves what is coming to him. Both through MLB and in his health woes sure to follow.

McGwire, Sosa, Palmeiro and many other all fall in the same category as well.

flames_1987
08-04-2007, 08:50 PM
Roger Maris and Hank Aaron still hold the biggest records in baseball in my mind.

If this had been done pure, without the illegal substances, the lies, the ego maniac that is Barry Bonds, this would be one of the most historic night in all of sports.

HOOT
08-04-2007, 08:50 PM
I just want him to beat it so they can shut up about it on Sportscentre and Sportsnet...

Dion
08-04-2007, 09:03 PM
Hopefully there is an asterix besides Bonds name when he breaks the record.

I also agree with Tranny in the fact that he wil be brought down eventually.

Not a good day for baseball.

ricoFlame
08-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Hopefully there is an asterix besides Bonds name when he breaks the record.

I also agree with Tranny in the fact that he wil be brought down eventually.

Not a good day for baseball.

i just don't see how he can be brought down, what proof will there be? everyone knows he cheated, but hard evidence, tough to find.

Displaced Flames fan
08-04-2007, 09:20 PM
i just don't see how he can be brought down, what proof will there be?

Ask the grand jury.

transplant99
08-04-2007, 09:21 PM
i just don't see how he can be brought down, what proof will there be?

Give it time.

There are still a bunch of people that can talk that haven't (including Anderson).....and teammates and others close to him. Guys still making money and dont want to jeopardize their livlihood.

Stuff like this always comes out in time....

sadora
08-04-2007, 09:24 PM
Lots did...he is just better at it.

He will be brought down at some point in time. Whether it be for perjury to the Grand jury or solid evidence of doing them....he will at some point be stricken from the record book.

That is a day I will celebrate.

Til then...good for him.

I'm actually starting to enjoy this Barry Bonds circus mainly because of all the haters. They boo when he hits and they boo when he gets walked. Records are made to be broken, and don't worry all of you Bonds haters, his record will be broken as well and probably within the decade. Funny thing is that when it's time for Bond's record to be broken I'm sure that a whole new breed of haters will follow the next one, who will most likely be ARod.

Congrats to Barry Bonds for tying the record and for having a strong pair of shoulders to keep walking out there to do his thing while so many are hating his guts.

transplant99
08-04-2007, 09:42 PM
Records are made to be broken, and don't worry all of you Bonds haters

Believe me....Im not worried one iota.

I'm sure that a whole new breed of haters will follow the next one, who will most likely be ARod.

Lots already hate him...but not because he lied and cheated. Big difference.

Congrats to Barry Bonds for tying the record and for having a strong pair of shoulders to keep walking out there to do his thing while so many are hating his guts.

yup...he is a real role model for kids. :O

Dion
08-04-2007, 10:03 PM
Thankfully Bonds won't get to enjoy his record for as long as Aaron did. A Rod hit his 500th today and I suspect he will surpass Bonds in the near future.

Sylvanfan
08-04-2007, 10:17 PM
Thankfully Bonds won't get to enjoy his record for as long as Aaron did. A Rod hit his 500th today and I suspect he will surpass Bonds in the near future.

Yeah with 500 today, whats Rodriguez going to need to surpass Bonds? Maybe get to what like 765 if this is his last year so that means Rodriguez will need another 265. Which at 35 dingers a year will take him just over 7 seasons. It's something he has a shot at. Hopefully for the sake of Baseball he does it. ARod doesn't have the best rep in baseball, but I think he's a lot more honest than Bonds is.

Dion
08-04-2007, 10:28 PM
Anderson -- who later pleaded guilty to conspiracy to distribute anabolic steroids and money laundering and served three months in prison -- originally decided which drugs Bonds would use, according to the excerpt. Bonds began using Winstrol after the 1998 season, the excerpt says, with Anderson supplying the steroids and syringes and usually injecting Bonds in the buttocks.

Bonds added 15 pounds of solid muscle that off-season, going from 210 pounds to 225, and enjoyed standing in front of a mirror and laughing as he asked, "How do I look?"

When Bonds arrived at spring training in Scottsdale, Ariz., in 1999, the excerpt says, those around the Giants began calling him "the Incredible Hulk."

Team management wondered what exactly he had done to so strikingly reshape his body, but the excerpt suggests owner Peter Magowan and other Giants officials "had no interest in learning" whether he was using steroids.

Soon after Pacific Bell Park opened in 2000, according to the excerpt, the Giants ordered unofficial background checks on Bonds' three personal trainers -- Anderson, stretching coach Harvey Shields and running coach Raymond Farris -- who regularly roamed the team's clubhouse so they could respond to any Bonds request.

Those background checks revealed that World Gym, now known as Diesel Fitness, "was known as a place to score steroids," the excerpt says, "and Anderson himself was rumored to be a dealer." But the Giants did not act on this information because they "didn't want to alienate Bonds on this issue, either," according to the excerpt.

http://sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/c/a/2006/03/07/MNG90HJF4N22.DTL

HOOT
08-04-2007, 11:16 PM
Yeah with 500 today, whats Rodriguez going to need to surpass Bonds? Maybe get to what like 765 if this is his last year so that means Rodriguez will need another 265. Which at 35 dingers a year will take him just over 7 seasons. It's something he has a shot at. Hopefully for the sake of Baseball he does it. ARod doesn't have the best rep in baseball, but I think he's a lot more honest than Bonds is.

During the Seattle game they were talking about how Bonds wants to play 2-3 more years but go to Oakland as a DH so he doesn't have to feild. So who knows how many he can get, I wouldn't be suprised if he goes to a AL he could get to 800 if he goes 2 more years past this one.

Who knows, even if Bonds "cheated" it is still an impressive record to break. Are you going to take away scoring titles or put * beside them because we learn they used an illegal curve in their stick?

Josh
08-04-2007, 11:32 PM
Thread title should've read "Bonds hits 755*"

I hate barroids, he's a big reason I don't watch baseball anymore.

Dion
08-05-2007, 01:50 AM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/Happy1958/SLAMpod512.jpg

ricoFlame
08-05-2007, 04:53 AM
Thread title should've read "Bonds hits 755*"

I hate barroids, he's a big reason I don't watch baseball anymore.

the thread should have an astericks when the stat does.

soulchoice
08-05-2007, 05:16 AM
Congrats Barry Bonds. I am unlike many posters on here, in that I have always been a fan of Bonds. From his first season with Pittsburgh till even now, I enjoy watching him play.

Still remains one of my most followed ball players in the MLB.

transplant99
08-05-2007, 07:41 AM
I have no problem with people being a fan of Bonds the player....he was a great player long before he chose to take the road he did. Bonds the human is a jerk and a liar though IMO.

I have one question for Bonds supporters.

Yes or no, do you think Barry Bonds took performance enhancing drugs?

Resolute 14
08-05-2007, 08:34 AM

CaramonLS
08-05-2007, 09:08 AM
Call me when he hits 868.

ricoFlame
08-05-2007, 09:23 AM

i hear that. Oh hit A LOT of bombs. definitely deserves respect.

Sylvanfan
08-05-2007, 10:42 AM
I have no problem with people being a fan of Bonds the player....he was a great player long before he chose to take the road he did. Bonds the human is a jerk and a liar though IMO.

I have one question for Bonds supporters.

Yes or no, do you think Barry Bonds took performance enhancing drugs?

I'm not a Bonds supporter.....but no question he was on some type of enhancing drug.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/teams/players/bio/?id=116&hubname=mlb-giants

The sad thing is that this guy was HOF calibre before he took the drugs. He wouldn't be the all time home run king, but from 1993 to 1998 before he got jealous and started juicing up his all around statistics were fantastic. But he didn't knock out 50 HR's a year like some of the other guys were. After 1998 you can see that he stopped running, and became a home run hitter, and his defensive game went down hill. It's a shame that he gave into the roids because without the enhancements I have no doubts he would have still hit 600 plus home runs and been a first ballot HOF'er. With the roids, I think the writers will conspire to keep him out....especially if he continues to dodge his legal issues.

It's pretty sad that in my time I got to see two of the most hallowed records in baseball all time hits and all time home runs broken. But in both cases the player partook in activities outside of the game that are going to keep him out of the Hall of Fame. Than again given guys like Ty Cobb and Babe Ruth and the way they were....Hank Aaron doesn't really seem to mesh with the rest of that crew in terms of personality.

Philly06Cup
08-05-2007, 12:35 PM
Bonds is a liar and a jerk. But I can think of a lot of bigger jerks and liars in professional sports -- Michael Vick, Latrell Spreewell, Ron Artest, and any number of Cincinatti Bengals. If he wasn't breaking Hank Aaron's record, nobody would notice his jerkiness, as it really doesn't compare to others.

I put the blame more on Bud Selig. Ratings were down. Then McGuire vs Sosa happened. It invigorated MLB. Both guys were juicing, surely, and Selig did nothing. Later Bonds would hit 72. Selig still did nothing. Rating were up -- why enforce any type of strict drug policy, when it was drawing numbers? It was only when Bonds came feasibly close to breaking Ruth / Aaron did outside pressures force Selig to do something. And now it's too late, and Aaron's record will be broken.

Yes, Bonds cheated. But so many others did. All because Selig let them.

Boo Selig.

Dion
08-05-2007, 12:55 PM

Bonds was 36 years old when he reached 500 HR plateau where as A Rod reached the same mark at age 32. If A Rod plays into his 40's like Bonds is doing we could see numbers in the 800's. Of course all this hinges on weather A Rod chooses to play that long.

Resolute 14
08-05-2007, 01:09 PM

Oooooh. I didn't even think of that.

CaramonLS
08-05-2007, 02:24 PM
Bonds was 36 years old when he reached 500 HR plateau where as A Rod reached the same mark at age 32. If A Rod plays into his 40's like Bonds is doing we could see numbers in the 800's. Of course all this hinges on weather A Rod chooses to play that long.

I think he will, I think the last few years with the Yankees he has developed a chip on his shoulder and he is going to be out to prove he is the greatest player ever, period. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go to another team in the off season, where he can play SS again as well.

I think TO actually would be a great place to sooth his ego, be able to play in a place where people would actually love him, and be able to tell the Yankees to go screw themselves another ~20 times per year. Not to mention, we need that hole at SS plugged, why not move in one of the greatest players of all time? We have a future HOFer on our team now (Thomas), but there is something to be said for a guy who is doing it in his prime. Would Rogers pony up that kind of cash?

I dunno, but it would sure put Toronto back on the baseball map - he is the type of player we'd need to push this team over the top. If Zaun could be considered the worst starter on your club, that is saying something positive.

ricoFlame
08-05-2007, 02:25 PM
his head grows 3 sizes, and most damningly, his foot size went up 3 sizes as well...at the age of 35....then dnies he had any foreign substances assisting him, he is a lying sack of crap that deserves what is coming to him. Both through MLB and in his health woes sure to follow.

i find this interesting because there is no proof of these changes in bonds' anatomy, and from what i know, HGH doping doesn't cause a legnthening of the bones in adults. these claims are likely a myth.

he cheated, no doubt, but the outlandish claims are a bit much.

Sylvanfan
08-05-2007, 02:47 PM
I think he will, I think the last few years with the Yankees he has developed a chip on his shoulder and he is going to be out to prove he is the greatest player ever, period. I wouldn't be shocked to see him go to another team in the off season, where he can play SS again as well.

I think TO actually would be a great place to sooth his ego, be able to play in a place where people would actually love him, and be able to tell the Yankees to go screw themselves another ~20 times per year. Not to mention, we need that hole at SS plugged, why not move in one of the greatest players of all time? We have a future HOFer on our team now (Thomas), but there is something to be said for a guy who is doing it in his prime. Would Rogers pony up that kind of cash?

I dunno, but it would sure put Toronto back on the baseball map - he is the type of player we'd need to push this team over the top. If Zaun could be considered the worst starter on your club, that is saying something positive.

This is where that Wells extension could be a real kick in the nuts. But the thought has crossed my mind that if you could lure Rodriguez to Toronto with the carrot of becoming the everyday short stop, move Rios to center field and than find another corner outfielder who can hit. Considering how little production the Jays have got out of the money they have committed to Wells, Thomas, Ryan, and Burnett....they probably could pay Rodriguez 30 million and use 10 million to find 3 other guys to fill the holes vacated.

Than again being the Jays they probably do need to focus on keeping the players they do have and making aggressive pitches to get players who are interested in their team. In the end a guy like Rodriguez probably wants to go to a place like Chicago, or L.A. if he doesn't stay with the Yankees after this year.

Back on topic....It's tough to say how many more years Bonds will play. I think he would have to be a DH and at this point in his career the media circus around him is such a distraction it's really affected his teams ability to win. Billy Beane and the Athletics seem to be more interested in wining than signing a side show to try and draw fans. Although they could use the attendance boost.

ricosuave
08-05-2007, 03:01 PM

absolutely

CrusaderPi
08-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I don't know, if Tuffy freaking Rhodes can approach the single season mark in Japan, I'm not sure home runs there have the same degree of difficulty here.

However, he did manage to hit 13 bombs in the Majors over 590 ABs.

ricoFlame
08-05-2007, 04:32 PM
I don't know, if Tuffy freaking Rhodes can approach the single season mark in Japan, I'm not sure home runs there have the same degree of difficulty here.

meh, that kinda thing can happen, brady anderson had his flash in the pan 50 home run year in '96.

CrusaderPi
08-05-2007, 04:49 PM
Brady Anderson was a flash in the pan, whereas Rhodes ranks in the top 20 on the all time homer list in Japan.

Speaking of Brady, his 50 homeruns were an anomoly, but he did average around 18 a year (not including the 50) for 9 years. That itself is a pretty decent MLB career.

Resolute 14
08-05-2007, 04:51 PM
Love the front page of the Sun:

http://calsun.canoe.ca/SAP/Home/2007/07/31/cal0805_440.jpg

CaramonLS
08-05-2007, 05:02 PM

I think Tuffy is your classic late bloomer: He goes from hitting 16 HRs over 6 seasons to exploding and crushing 30 in a single one in AAA, has some more decent production at the low minors, goes over to Japan and has some success early on (decent, but nothing special) and about 3 years in he starts to dominate.

Reminds me of Steve Finley in that way.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/R/Karl-Rhodes.shtml

No, of course the leagues aren't the same - I'd imagine that he would probably have a similar career drop off of Matsuis if he played MLB - his OPS would probably drop by 100-200 pts, but he would still be one of the best hitters in baseball. Matsui is a top notch hitter and was great in the japanese leagues, but Oh's stats are that much better than his.

Still, he would likely end up in the MLB HOF.

CaramonLS
08-05-2007, 05:07 PM
If you wont accept Oh, I'll give the title to Josh Gibson - no one really knows how many HRs he hit, but it was more than Barry.

Dr GonZo
08-06-2007, 04:23 AM
If you wont accept Oh, I'll give the title to Josh Gibson - no one really knows how many HRs he hit, but it was more than Barry.

1. One can NEVER statistically validate a comparison of Bonds and Gibson.
2. Gibson was on drugs too. Perhaps they weren't performance inhancing drugs, but they sure did something to him.

Azure
08-07-2007, 09:02 AM

Considering the pride that A-rod has in his game...he will break the home-run record.

REDVAN
08-07-2007, 12:02 PM
I have read a few comments on CNN about him and his soon-to-be record. I still think he is one of the best hitters ever, regardless of drugs or not.

foofighter15
08-07-2007, 12:07 PM
All I know is my friend takes steriods and he can't hit 755 home runs in the MLB. He does have Backnee though.

CaramonLS
08-07-2007, 12:28 PM
All I know is my friend takes steriods and he can't hit 755 home runs in the MLB. He does have Backnee though.

Come on now, that isn't fair.

Marginally player + Riods = Good player
Good player + Roids = Great player
Great player + Roids = HOFer
HOFer + Roids = Greatest player of all time.

Bonds was a lock for the Hall pre-1997/1998 when he allegedly started taking them. What this did was make him one of the greatest to ever play the game. Your best years shouldn't be when you are in the twilight of your career.

mykalberta
08-07-2007, 12:42 PM
Congrats to Bonds.

As said countless times, its MLB that caused this with their obvious ignorance early. Reminds me alot of the Lance Armstrong thing - likely roided early then when de Tour started getting suspicious he was on a good enough team he didnt need to.

MYK

BerubeHater
08-07-2007, 01:30 PM
meh, that kinda thing can happen, brady anderson had his flash in the pan 50 home run year in '96.

From what I remember, Canseco said in his book that Anderson took roids.

sadora
08-07-2007, 03:15 PM
Come on now, that isn't fair.

Marginally player + Riods = Good player
Good player + Roids = Great player
Great player + Roids = HOFer
HOFer + Roids = Greatest player of all time.

Bonds was a lock for the Hall pre-1997/1998 when he allegedly started taking them. What this did was make him one of the greatest to ever play the game. Your best years shouldn't be when you are in the twilight of your career.

Just a general question for all Bond haters out there...whether he took roids or not, what offense is that to you?? so many seem to be taking this too seriously. If anything, like MYK mentioned the MLB is the one at fault here.

CaramonLS
08-07-2007, 06:06 PM
Just a general question for all Bond haters out there...whether he took roids or not, what offense is that to you?? so many seem to be taking this too seriously. If anything, like MYK mentioned the MLB is the one at fault here.

Baseball is the most stats oriented league in all of pro-sports. It really is a numbers game, and it was one of the ultimate methods of statistical comparison between players from different eras.

The game has basically been the same since they moved the mound in 1890 I believe, and thats why baseball has always been a game of numbers. Untainted in large respect (aside from Beer and Wings).

ricoFlame
08-07-2007, 06:18 PM
cheating has been a very common part of the game since the beginning. from corked bats to the plethora of cheating methods utilized by pitchers. i think that we would be naieve to assume that there have been no players that have made a career using one of these methods. it is important to consider that players have cheated long before steroids. what's the difference when we look at and consider how the statistics are affected?

habernac
08-07-2007, 08:37 PM
people have cheated for years, yes. But nothing in the past can compare to the extra power provided by steroids. Greenies aren't going to make a hitter knock it that extra 50 feet.

ricoFlame
08-07-2007, 08:45 PM
people have cheated for years, yes. But nothing in the past can compare to the extra power provided by steroids. Greenies aren't going to make a hitter knock it that extra 50 feet.

50 feet? let's not go crazy here.

habernac
08-07-2007, 09:01 PM
50 feet? let's not go crazy here.

yeah, a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

ricoFlame
08-07-2007, 09:38 PM
yeah, a bit of an exaggeration, but you know what I mean.

yeah, i read ya. it's a noticible difference.

habernac
08-07-2007, 09:44 PM
The Bonds thing really pisses me off because the guy was an amazing player without the damn pharmacy. Rob Dibble was just on sportsnet, he wanted to know how steroids magically make a guy hit better. No one has ever argued that it makes them hit better, Rob, it gives them more power, stupid.

Bobblehead
08-07-2007, 09:52 PM
And there goes 756....

And Bonds is already home and they are still fighting over the ball in the RF Bleachers

Mike Bacsik (http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=407194) gives up the dinger.

And Hank Aaron recorded a message that was shown on the jumbotron congratulating Bonds.

habernac
08-07-2007, 09:56 PM
ah, crap. Hank sent a message. He's a lot more classy than I am.

Bobblehead
08-07-2007, 10:00 PM
That pitch was right down the middle.

Hemi-Cuda
08-07-2007, 10:11 PM
i just came in here to say that Barry Bonds' daughter is hot

Dion
08-07-2007, 10:15 PM

Is she hot enough to call the fire department? :D

Flames in 07
08-07-2007, 10:43 PM

heh, well ... maybe in a 14 year old kind of way.

GirlySports
08-07-2007, 10:53 PM

Pitcher went after Bonds all night. Bonds ends up 3-for-3. Think Bonds can leg out a triple for the cycle, wouldnt THAT be something :)

Flickered Flame
08-07-2007, 10:59 PM
Think Bonds can leg out a triple for the cycle, wouldnt THAT be something :)

I believe Bonds came out of the game after hitting the HR.

Hemi-Cuda
08-07-2007, 11:22 PM
heh, well ... maybe in a 14 year old kind of way.

hey, if there's grass on the field... :bag:

Dion
08-07-2007, 11:40 PM
Bonds has hit 756!

With one out in the fifth inning, Bonds hit a 3-2 pitch from the Washington Nationals' Mike Bacsik deep into the seats at AT&T Park.

Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'm going to puke!

Go A Rod go!!!!!

Dion
08-07-2007, 11:41 PM
Ohhhh and Bud Selig WAS NOT in attendance! :w00t:

HOOT
08-08-2007, 12:14 AM
And there goes 756....

And Bonds is already home and they are still fighting over the ball in the RF Bleachers

Mike Bacsik (http://mlb.mlb.com/team/player.jsp?player_id=407194) gives up the dinger.

And Hank Aaron recorded a message that was shown on the jumbotron congratulating Bonds.

I am happy he did it, now the sports shows can talk about it for the next two days and it will be over (hopefully!). I am tired of hearing about if there should be an * beside it or what speculation there is. He did it, let him have it, Arod will beat it.

I guess he figured this way he could tell his kids he is in the record books ;)

Agreed! Plus she has a very rich daddy so that puts her put a few rating points than she would really get!

Ohhhh and Bud Selig WAS NOT in attendance! :w00t:
How happy do you think he about that, at least this way he didn't get caught just standing around with his hands in his pockets. He looked so akward after 755

Dion
08-08-2007, 12:52 AM
How happy do you think he about that, at least this way he didn't get caught just standing around with his hands in his pockets. He looked so akward after 755

Add to the fact he's good friends with Aaron, i'm sure he quite relieved to have not been there. If he was i'm sure his comments would have been analyzed from here to eternity considering the contraversy regarding Bonds and Steriods.

And yes I did read about the hands in his pockets comment when Barry hit the tying HR. My chuckle for the day.

Dion
08-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Selig skips Bonds to meet with Mitchell

NEW YORK—Bud Selig decided to get together with George Mitchell this week rather than watch Barry Bonds. The baseball commissioner and some of his top aides are scheduled to meet with the chief steroids investigator later this week, a person with knowledge of the session said Tuesday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn't allowed to discuss the meeting.

http://origin.mercurynews.com/giants/ci_6566012

Dion
08-08-2007, 01:19 AM
Selig's "Herculean effort" gets an asterisk

All Bud did was go to some baseball games," said an MLB source who requested anonymity. "By our count, he went to 11 of 16 games -- and three of those games were in Milwaukee, where he always goes to the games anyway. Plus, he has a private jet to fly him around, so it's not like he has to deal with taking his shoes off at security or sitting in a middle seat having to watch 'You, Me and Dupree.'"

Further, the official noted, when Bonds tied Aaron's record, "Bud didn't even attempt an insincere smile or to clap unenthusiastically. He just stood up, stuffed his hands in his pockets and looked like he'd eaten a bad bratwurst .:hehehe:

http://sports.espn.go.com/espn/page2/story?page=caple/070806

HOOT
08-08-2007, 01:23 AM
I am kinda on the fence about this because nothing has been proven but some things are a "little" obvisious.

However I am really happy I got to see it live on TV and just watch the whole at bat pitch by pitch, I will remember the young pitcher going right after Bonds knowing he could be "That guy" who gave up the Bonds homer.

He may be a tool and he may have cheated but he still put up some amazing numbers and it will be a cool thing when Stray-Rod is close to beating the Bonds record and I can say to whoever is around me "I remember watching Barry hit 756"

Dion
08-08-2007, 01:33 AM
Unlike father, Bacsik can't prevent home run No. 756

By JOSH DUBOW / Associated Press

In a remarkable coincidence, Mike Bacsik and his father both had the rare opportunity to face a great home run slugger with 755 home runs.

The only difference is that the father didn't allow Hank Aaron to hit another one 31 years ago and the son did give one up to Barry Bonds — the record-breaking 756th, in fact.

Like Bonds, Bacsik is the son of a major leaguer. He and his father, also named Mike, enjoy a truly remarkable connection. While Clyde and Jaret Wright and Pedro Borbon Sr. and Jr. are among the father-son pitching tandem to face the two sluggers, only the Bacsiks got the chance when both had 755 career home runs.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/APStories/stories/D8QSLTQO0.html

ricoFlame
08-08-2007, 05:16 AM
ah, crap. Hank sent a message. He's a lot more classy than I am.

no matter what, it's the right thing to do. cements his image as more than a great player.

habernac
08-08-2007, 07:29 AM
no matter what, it's the right thing to do. cements his image as more than a great player.

and that's why I'm not surprised he did it. Hank rules.

Burninator
08-08-2007, 08:34 AM
Buy the shirt!

http://www.bustedtees.com/bt/images/BT-756-gallery-2850.jpg

http://www.bustedtees.com/shirt/756/male

Bobblehead
08-08-2007, 08:48 AM
Thing is, Bacsik actually pitched Barry pretty well that at bat. That low fastball that Barry took was a great pitch, the sweeping curve with 2 strikes was great call, and probably would have gotten a lot of other hitters out. Even the first full count pitch was good, and Barry really fought to foul it off. The HR ball was right down the pipe - he's gotta know better than that.

West Karma
08-08-2007, 09:01 AM
nm

HOOT
08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
Did you here about the guy that caught the ball?

He is from NYC, 22 years old and had never been to a baseball game in San Fran. He and his friend are on their way to Austrailia and were on a layover in SF. Buddy talks him into going to the game and he gets the ball.

He said the pile formed and then the ball just appeared to roll out of it, where he picked it up!!

That's AWESOME!!

Any word on if he gave it to Bonds?

Bobblehead
08-08-2007, 09:21 AM

Would you?

I was thinking about that last night, and the way Bonds has done everything in such a selfish, "Barry looks after Barry" manner, I'd give Barry a chance to beat any other offer I would get, but no way in hell I would just give it to him.

Barry deserves the same respect he gives his teammates, the media, and the fans, which is to say little.

West Karma
08-08-2007, 09:29 AM
nm

I_H8_Crawford
08-08-2007, 09:54 AM
Apparently, before he hit 755, a little kid came up to Bonds and told him "if I get your homerun ball I will give it to you"

Bonds replied "Are you stupid? Sell that thing, make yourself some money!"

I guess calling a kid stupid is bad, but the fact that he's telling people to make money off of his record is a good thing.

Azure
08-08-2007, 11:25 AM

Bonds doesn't want the ball. And even if he did...I wouldn't give it to him.

Dion
08-08-2007, 12:07 PM
Would you?

I was thinking about that last night, and the way Bonds has done everything in such a selfish, "Barry looks after Barry" manor, I'd give Barry a chance to beat any other offer I would get, but no way in hell I would just give it to him.

Barry deserves the same respect he gives his teammates, the media, and the fans, which is to say little.

If I had the ball and he wanted it, he would pay dearly for it.

A public confession that he used steroids would be a starter :D

troutman
08-08-2007, 12:17 PM
People are already calculating when and if Griffey and A-Rod will break the record.

Jiggy_12
08-08-2007, 12:20 PM
People are already calculating when and if Griffey and A-Rod will break the record.

I don't think Griffey has a shot...maybe 700 at the most. But A-rod should do it. I hate A-rod even more than Bonds but at least A-rod "appears" to be doing it naturally.

Pujols should have a shot at it a long time from now if he keeps up his pace.

Bobblehead
08-08-2007, 12:34 PM
I find it a bit weird that there are all these players that have a chance at the HR records, yet at the same time there may only be one more pitcher get to 300 wins, and 20 wins is becoming even more rare.

Perhaps protecting the starters arms and all this specialization in pitching isn't working.

Then again, I kind of like seeing a 3-1, 2 hour 10 minute pitchers dual.

Dion
08-08-2007, 12:42 PM

A Rod, yes.

Griffey, not so sure. He's been suffering a lot of injuries over the years. The key is can he stay healthy enough. I say no.

Jiggy_12
08-08-2007, 12:51 PM
A Rod, yes.

Griffey, not so sure. He's been suffering a lot of injuries over the years. The key is can he stay healthy enough. I say no.

With Griffey being 38 in November, and about 170ish back of Bonds...I just can't see it happening even if healthy. 40+ a year at that age is almost unheard of.

rubecube
08-08-2007, 12:55 PM
With Griffey being 38 in November, and about 170ish back of Bonds...I just can't see it happening even if healthy. 40+ a year at that age is almost unheard of.

Yeah, Griffey would need an average of 34 HRs/year for the next 4 years to reach the record by the time he's Bonds' age, and that's assuming Bonds doesn't hit anymore. A-Rod only needs to average 25 HR/year for the next 10, which is completely achievable.

Azure
08-08-2007, 01:07 PM

Unless he takes steroids. ;)

HOOT
08-08-2007, 01:34 PM
Would you?

I was thinking about that last night, and the way Bonds has done everything in such a selfish, "Barry looks after Barry" manner, I'd give Barry a chance to beat any other offer I would get, but no way in hell I would just give it to him.

Oh I didn't mean give it to Bonds for FREE, you know sometimes they ask for Bats and Jerseys or whatever. But it is probably safe to say if the guy put his trip to Australia on his credit card it will be paid off shortly ;)

Considering someone wants $1,000 USD for just the Ticket Stub (http://cgi.ebay.com/Barry-Bonds-756-home-run-unscanned-ticket-to-the-game_W0QQitemZ320145682344QQihZ011QQcategoryZ50132 QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem), I could just imagine what the actual ball will go for.

If you had caught that ball how much would it be worth to you or what would you want from Bonds if he actually wanted it?

Flash Walken
08-08-2007, 01:44 PM
Too bad the grif had such terrible luck with injuries after leaving seattle.

He's the best baseball player I've ever seen.

rubecube
08-08-2007, 01:51 PM

Along with Robbie Alomar (before the spitting incident) he was always my favorite player. Class act the whole way. My dad met him in Vegas once and said he was about the nicest guy you could meet.

dionfan
08-08-2007, 02:56 PM

I just love seeing his swing when he hits a homerun. It's so smooth, like hes putting little effort into hitting it. It's like when the pitch is coming he's like "ah, here's a good one" and then after the swing its like "aaaaahhhhh yeah". Just so relaxed.

dionfan
08-08-2007, 03:00 PM
I have no doubt though that A-Rod has a chance. He was 4 years younger than Bonds was when they each hit their 500th. At A-Rod's current pace, Bonds will only have the record for 5-6 years.

flambers
08-08-2007, 03:06 PM
AROD has a chance but its tough to stay healthly for so many years. Look what happened to Griffey as an example. Of course I assume Bonds will continue to play for awhile he may hit 800 before he is done.

Bobblehead
08-08-2007, 04:13 PM
AROD has a chance but its tough to stay healthly for so many years. Look what happened to Griffey as an example. Of course I assume Bonds will continue to play for awhile he may hit 800 before he is done.

I wonder about that. Bond's average has slipped the past few years. The team gives him days off, he isn't as good in the field as he once was, and the Giants are last in their division.

If I'm the Giants I need to consider the option that a younger guy with a lower salary to help the team rebuild may be a better option than an expensive, divisive, older player on the downside of his career. Although I think SF fans would cause a huge stink if that did happen, Giants staff are going to need to consider it.

CaramonLS
08-08-2007, 04:24 PM
I wonder about that. Bond's average has slipped the past few years. The team gives him days off, he isn't as good in the field as he once was, and the Giants are last in their division.

If I'm the Giants I need to consider the option that a younger guy with a lower salary to help the team rebuild may be a better option than an expensive, divisive, older player on the downside of his career. Although I think SF fans would cause a huge stink if that did happen, Giants staff are going to need to consider it.

Bonds still has an OPS of 1.040, which just happens to be about 200 points higher than ANY starting member of the Jays team.

That said, the guy could play a full sched of games if they made him a full time DH in the AL, and maybe let him play 1B in interleague. One thing Bonds always had and still has is one of the greatest batting eyes the game has ever seen.

HOOT
08-08-2007, 04:59 PM
Bonds still has an OPS of 1.040, which just happens to be about 200 points higher than ANY starting member of the Jays team.

That said, the guy could play a full sched of games if they made him a full time DH in the AL, and maybe let him play 1B in interleague. One thing Bonds always had and still has is one of the greatest batting eyes the game has ever seen.

I was thinking the same thing, I could see him going to an AL team like The A's or The Angels. I know many of the fans of that team probably don't like Bonds but he is kinda like a Darcy Tucker. You hate him but you would love to see him on your team.

I just don't see Bonds quitting after this year he has stated he would love to play for another 3-4 years and if he did that and played a good chunk of games a year with a team in the AL I could see him maknig the record impossible for Griffey to catch and make things a little harder on Arod.

MarchHare
08-09-2007, 09:43 AM

The Onion has weighed in on this:

http://www.theonion.com/content/news/nation_to_ken_griffey_jr_we_wish

The likeable but injury-plagued Griffey currently stands eighth on the all-time home-run list with 574, only nine back from Mark McGwire in seventh. However, America insists that without the bizarre injuries that plagued his career, Griffey would have had a legitimate shot at hitting 756.

"I mean, when a guy misses out on the Rookie of the Year because he slips and hurts his wrist in the shower… Where's the sense in that?" America said. "Being denied the single-season home run record in 1994 because of the baseball strike? Not fair. It's amazing that with every bad hand you've been dealt that you haven't packed it in and called it a day. Frankly, you're an inspiration—unlike some players this nation could name."

[...]

"I would be proud to have Ken Griffey Jr. break my home-run record," current record-holder and Hall of Fame legend Hank Aaron said upon being told of the nation's statement. "I would most certainly attend any game in which he had a chance of doing so. And I would come down from the stands and hug him fiercely after he crossed the plate and had been congratulated by his teammates. I really don't think I'd be able to help myself."

"Hell, I'll probably attend the game he's playing in when my record is broken in any case," Aaron added.

Baseball commissioner Bud Selig, responding to overwhelming demand, has confirmed that an asterisk will be placed next to Griffey's name in the record books in order to indicate that, in a perfect world where dignity is always rewarded, cheaters never triumph, and people always get what they really deserve, Griffey would have hit one more home run than Barry Bonds' career total.

ricoFlame
08-09-2007, 06:25 PM
i'm watching this barry bonds marathon on espn classic, and from the shots of barry in the year he hit 73, he was noticibly smaller than he is now. still jacked, but way smaller. strange.

Dion
08-09-2007, 08:01 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v141/Happy1958/Barry20Bonds.jpg

Azure
08-09-2007, 08:04 PM
i'm watching this barry bonds marathon on espn classic, and from the shots of barry in the year he hit 73, he was noticibly smaller than he is now. still jacked, but way smaller. strange.

And to think that he gained so much muscle around 40 years old....makes it hard to believe he did it without steroids.

I think a number I heard being thrown around was 40 lbs lean muscle mass in one off-season. Imagine....Crosby put on 10 lbs working out last summer...Bonds puts on 40lbs.

Dion
08-09-2007, 08:08 PM
And to think that he gained so much muscle around 40 years old....makes it hard to believe he did it without steroids.

I think a number I heard being thrown around was 40 lbs lean muscle mass in one off-season. Imagine....Crosby put on 10 lbs working out last summer...Bonds puts on 40lbs.

And when Bonds showed up to camp with that extra 40 pounds, he was labeled the Incredible Hulk.

ricoFlame
08-10-2007, 06:58 PM
#755 up for auction

http://www.sportsnet.ca/baseball/article.jsp?content=20070810_184647_4980

i'm curious how much that it and 756 will fetch. all for an $8 baseball. good lord.

HOOT
08-10-2007, 07:58 PM
The problem is he is going to get taxed like 30% or something stupid down in the states. Apparently they are trying to tax the guy who caught 756 even if he doesnt sell it because it is still valued at around $600K or so.

Perosnally I would fight it as the poster said above as an $8 item...who is Barry Bonds and what is a home run? :whistle:

ricoFlame
08-10-2007, 09:40 PM
#758 off matt morris. bonds is really hitting the crap out of the ball right now.

socalwingfan
08-12-2007, 11:36 AM
Here's a heart-warming story on the lovable Barry :rolleyes:

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18690364&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

ricoFlame
08-12-2007, 11:40 AM
Here's a heart-warming story on the lovable Barry :rolleyes:

http://www.timesonline.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=18690364&BRD=2305&PAG=461&dept_id=478568&rfi=6

That's why Diana is quoted on the inside cover of the book, "Love Me Hate Me: Barry Bonds And The Making Of An Anti-Hero." Diana's quote: "Personally, I hope he (Bonds) dies."

hoping he dies because he wouldn't sign something...well, she's got her head on right. i don't care what he did or didn't do, that's ridiculous.