PDA

View Full Version : CFL Contact Email?

Harbourmouth
08-04-2007, 08:12 PM
Anyone know of a contact for the CFL? The reffing in this league is a joke. I am sick of handing my money over to this league only to have a bunch of morons determine a game when they should have no bearing on it.

ricoFlame
08-04-2007, 08:15 PM
i have no idea what the email is, but when you find out, don't forget to use bold red font and CAPS.

Harbourmouth
08-04-2007, 08:26 PM
I will no longer be getting season tickets next season. This is an asbolute joke. This is a league-wide issue that rares it's ugly head every game. Why in the name of god the CFL refuses to acknowledge this is beyond me. I can no longer blindly support a league that refuses to listen to it's paying customers.

transplant99
08-04-2007, 08:35 PM
Best I could find.

http://www.cfl.ca/index.php?module=page&id=125

browna
08-04-2007, 09:05 PM
As said in the other thread, completely expected that the silent CFL commisioner Uncle Hugh Campbell lodged an informal complaint and paid an unofficial visit to refs locker room at half time to give his "ideas" on the two ejections and offer an ultimatium or two.

Pretty much the only way that those penalties in the 4th can be explained.

cSpooge
08-04-2007, 09:41 PM
As said in the other thread, completely expected that the silent CFL commisioner Uncle Hugh Campbell lodged an informal complaint and paid an unofficial visit to refs locker room at half time to give his "ideas" on the two ejections and offer an ultimatium or two.

Pretty much the only way that those penalties in the 4th can be explained.

Gass' ejection was completely justified. Any player caught throwing equipment on the field of play gets an immediate ejection.

While the reffing wasn't great, I would like you guys to go out there and try to do it. I would actually like to see any of you actually know the rule book enough to try it. Reffing a football game is not exactly the easiest thing to do.

transplant99
08-04-2007, 09:45 PM
While the reffing wasn't great, I would like you guys to go out there and try to do it. I would actually like to see any of you actually know the rule book enough to try it. Reffing a football game is not exactly the easiest thing to do.

Right...I guess it is to much to expect paid professionals to do some semblance of a fair and balanced job....because its too hard.

Give me a break.

cSpooge
08-04-2007, 09:49 PM
Right...I guess it is to much to expect paid professionals to do some semblance of a fair and balanced job....because its too hard.

Give me a break.

They call what they see. Some of the calls were brutal but you also have to understand some of the rules are brutal as well. The roughing the kicker/passer penalties as they are currently written are complete garbage. You poke them and its a roughing penatly currently in the CFL.

browna
08-04-2007, 11:12 PM
They call what they see. Some of the calls were brutal but you also have to understand some of the rules are brutal as well. The roughing the kicker/passer penalties as they are currently written are complete garbage. You poke them and its a roughing penatly currently in the CFL.

Roughing the passer is meant to be shots to the head. The easiest way to see that is see in the QB's helmet snaps back or gets jarred in anyway. In both cases, it was clear, in slow mo and in regular speed, that no part of the Stamps player made contact wit Ray's hemlet.

And there's a rule in the book..."Running into the kicker". A fair bit different then running over a kicker as he's following though, which is what roughing the kicker rule was meant to protect. When a guy dives and rolls into a kicker, 99/100 times thats called by refs running into a kicker. A 5yd penalty, no automatic first down...in the case the former was called and it gave the Eskimos a 3rd life on that drive.

HOOT
08-04-2007, 11:20 PM
Its the CFL, just like their players the refs are second rate and will make mistakes.

Flames in 07
08-05-2007, 09:12 AM
Gass' ejection was completely justified. Any player caught throwing equipment on the field of play gets an immediate ejection.

I do and have.

You are making a mistake to assume that everyone holds the refs personally accountable as if they are dumb human beings.

They do a bad job, but it's fault lies in that there really isn't a comparable product they can train themselves at (CIAU is far below professional) and the CFL doesn't invest is a great training program.

And lastly, and maybe most important is that Football Canada and Football Alberta (not sure about other jurisdictions) have had serious trouble in recruiting refs. They should be targetting the smart kids who are done ball on an informal basis but best I can tell they have been quite passive as it relates to recruiting.

Bench Warmer
08-05-2007, 09:20 AM
I will no longer be getting season tickets next season. This is an asbolute joke. This is a league-wide issue that rares it's ugly head every game. Why in the name of god the CFL refuses to acknowledge this is beyond me. I can no longer blindly support a league that refuses to listen to it's paying customers.

So, in a gate driven league, you're going to hurt the Stamps revenue (I assume you're a Stamps seasons holder) because of reffing you don't agree with? Solid decision making there.

I agree the reffing was bad last night (that roughing the kicker call was one of the worst calls I have ever seen) but you're hurting the Stamps by not renewing your tickets, that's all.

Flames in 07
08-05-2007, 09:26 AM
So, in a gate driven league, you're going to hurt the Stamps revenue (I assume you're a Stamps seasons holder) because of reffing you don't agree with? Solid decision making there.

I agree the reffing was bad last night (that roughing the kicker call was one of the worst calls I have ever seen) but you're hurting the Stamps by not renewing your tickets, that's all.

So if he doesn't enjoy watching CFL games you are suggesting he should buy CFL tickets? Now that's solid.

If enough people 'hurt' their local team there will be enough pressure to the teams who will then apply pressure to the league to get it right.

It's the most logical decision you could make.

Bench Warmer
08-05-2007, 10:30 AM
So if he doesn't enjoy watching CFL games you are suggesting he should buy CFL tickets? Now that's solid.

If enough people 'hurt' their local team there will be enough pressure to the teams who will then apply pressure to the league to get it right.

It's the most logical decision you could make.

For me personally, I enjoy watching the CFL no matter what the reffing is like which is normally fairly decent. I can tell you right now there won't be nearly enough people that will stop going to games because of the bad reffing here and there to make any impact at all. That's logical - it's reality.

The CFL is working on improving their refereeing - this will be another instance where improvement is needed. It sucked all @$$ last night but it's 10 times better now than what it was 3 years ago.

But hey, if Harbourmouth decides to stop going to the games, that's his choice. But he's hurting the Stamps more than he's hurting the CFL. Despite the frustrations with the reffing, league popularity is higher now than it's been in years and is increasing.

Flames in 07
08-05-2007, 10:52 AM
For me personally, I enjoy watching the CFL no matter what the reffing is like which is normally fairly decent. I can tell you right now there won't be nearly enough people that will stop going to games because of the bad reffing here and there to make any impact at all. That's logical - it's reality.

The CFL is working on improving their refereeing - this will be another instance where improvement is needed. It sucked all @$$ last night but it's 10 times better now than what it was 3 years ago.

But hey, if Harbourmouth decides to stop going to the games, that's his choice. But he's hurting the Stamps more than he's hurting the CFL. Despite the frustrations with the reffing, league popularity is higher now than it's been in years and is increasing.

Well the fans have been sending the very message that Harbourmouth wants to send for decades now. Think about it, all sports have seemingly grown by leaps and bounds ... except CFL football. The stadiums are old and decaying, attendance is mediocre at best. Maybe not enough people have sent that message. It's small to think that one person doesn't make a difference. If enough people think like Harbourmouth then that will make a difference.

And to me the reffing has been getting worse every year for many years, and we are setting new depths this year especially.

Harbourmouth
08-05-2007, 11:31 AM

Yes, it is a solid decision. I am paying to see a PROFESSIONAL product decided by professional athletese on a level playing field. I am not getting that. You might blindly piss your money away, but I don't.

All I want for the league is to acknowledge there is a problem or for Ted Hellard to blasts the refs in the medium to atleast show the fans someone cares and is listening to them. This won't happen though. The CFL has their head up their ass and if Hellard says anything he's going to get punished by the CFL and the refs will just make even worse calls against his team.

Am I hurting the Stamps by not going to the games anymore? Yes. Do I care? ABSOLUTELY NOT! By going to Stamps game I am directly supporting the CFL. The CFL makes a mockery of professional sports each week now and i'm not going to support it. Given the increasingly empty number of seats each game at McMahon, I don't think i'm the only one either.

calf
08-05-2007, 11:44 AM
Games like last night piss me off to no end. A game that should've been, and could've been decided by 2 teams duking it out on the field gets tainted by poor reffing, again.

I grew up with the CFL, love the game, but a game like that makes it harder to support the league...I haven't turned my back on the league, not at all...but it's tougher to be as passionate when it's the same issues over, and over, and over again.

ken0042
08-05-2007, 11:50 AM
attendance is mediocre at best.

Based on what, exactly? In the last 10 years attendance is up in Winnipeg, Toronto, Vancouver, Edmonton, Montreal. And it's about the same in Calgary and Regina. Hamilton is the only one down, and I think that has to do with the multiple years of 0-4, 0-7, etc starts.

Flames in 07
08-05-2007, 12:09 PM
Based on Football around the continent. If run right CFL could have 40k / game attendance easy. They probably avg abour 28 or so around the league dispite the lack of credibility in the league, awful facilities and scheduling problems.

Watch what will happen to attendance in Wpg when they build that new stadium.

It may be up from 10 years ago, but it is still very lack luster

Sylvanfan
08-05-2007, 12:11 PM

Give me a break.

The thing is that there isn't enough money to be paid to these guys for them to become professionals. IMO the head referee makes 950 a game and I think the other guys are like 650. So again you get what you pay for. I mean in Canada now you can't live on 17 grand a year even if it's a part time job. Chances are the guys career as a salesman or accountant is far more important and most of these guys don't really need to referee. Even the NFL which is richer than half the countries on this planet only recently went to full time officials and still pays it's guys like 100 grand a year IIRC. Being a football referee is crappy work that pays even worse.

I think football is a miserable game to try and officiate as there are rule violations on pretty much every single play. It's trying to determine which ones were flagerant enough to call. CFL player in particular are bad because well....if they could be effective playing by the rules...they might be NFL calibre.

Flames in 07
08-05-2007, 12:19 PM
The thing is that there isn't enough money to be paid to these guys for them to become professionals. IMO the head referee makes 950 a game and I think the other guys are like 650. So again you get what you pay for. I mean in Canada now you can't live on 17 grand a year even if it's a part time job. Chances are the guys career as a salesman or accountant is far more important and most of these guys don't really need to referee. Even the NFL which is richer than half the countries on this planet only recently went to full time officials and still pays it's guys like 100 grand a year IIRC. Being a football referee is crappy work that pays even worse.

I think football is a miserable game to try and officiate as there are rule violations on pretty much every single play. It's trying to determine which ones were flagerant enough to call. CFL player in particular are bad because well....if they could be effective playing by the rules...they might be NFL calibre.

The CFL game in particular is tougher because the field is bigger. One suggestion I have is to redeploy the linesman and leave the line calls (offside, procedure etc) to two off-field officials and move at least the linesman back to twin with the back judge and essentially split the back judge duties.

As well the CFL needs to relax the roughing the passer criteria to somewhere between where it was in the 90's and where it is now. You can tell that many of the goofs who vote in the rules never played defence. In many cases the defender is placed into a situation where if he lets up on the QB, the QB would have the option of pulling back a pass, or from diving feet first, and instead making another move. Under the current QB protection rules defenders are screwed.

Bench Warmer
08-05-2007, 01:01 PM
Yes, it is a solid decision. I am paying to see a PROFESSIONAL product decided by professional athletese on a level playing field. I am not getting that. You might blindly piss your money away, but I don't.

All I want for the league is to acknowledge there is a problem or for Ted Hellard to blasts the refs in the medium to atleast show the fans someone cares and is listening to them. This won't happen though. The CFL has their head up their ass and if Hellard says anything he's going to get punished by the CFL and the refs will just make even worse calls against his team.

Am I hurting the Stamps by not going to the games anymore? Yes. Do I care? ABSOLUTELY NOT! By going to Stamps game I am directly supporting the CFL. The CFL makes a mockery of professional sports each week now and i'm not going to support it. Given the increasingly empty number of seats each game at McMahon, I don't think i'm the only one either.

Like I said, it's your call. One I don't agree with - but we disagree on the product. I personally think the CFL product is awesome with improved (yes, much improved in some cases) officiating over the last few years - although, admittedly, last night was a big step back in the wrong direction. I care if I hurt my team - if you don't care if you hurt yours, that's your call.

Edit: The other thing I forgot to add was Lazaruk was reffing the game last night. He is far and away the CFL's worst ref. If they replaced him with someone competent, we'd have a lot less of these discussions.

Bench Warmer
08-05-2007, 01:10 PM
Well the fans have been sending the very message that Harbourmouth wants to send for decades now. Think about it, all sports have seemingly grown by leaps and bounds ... except CFL football. The stadiums are old and decaying, attendance is mediocre at best. Maybe not enough people have sent that message. It's small to think that one person doesn't make a difference. If enough people think like Harbourmouth then that will make a difference.

And to me the reffing has been getting worse every year for many years, and we are setting new depths this year especially.

That is simply not true. The league has come from near extinction after the 1998 season (literally extinction - most people don't know how close the league was to folding at that time) to just signing it's largest TV contract ever. Attendance is up, advertising revenue for the CFL hasn't been higher. It's growth hasn't been the same as some of the other leagues but all those leagues have the US population to draw from. The CFL is growing - and continues to do so...

Flames in 07
08-05-2007, 02:23 PM
That is simply not true. The league has come from near extinction after the 1998 season (literally extinction - most people don't know how close the league was to folding at that time) to just signing it's largest TV contract ever. Attendance is up, advertising revenue for the CFL hasn't been higher. It's growth hasn't been the same as some of the other leagues but all those leagues have the US population to draw from. The CFL is growing - and continues to do so...

vs ten years ago:
NFL grown dramatically
NBA leveled off from an all time high
MLB grown dramatically
NHL grown dramatically, attendance is up and so is revenue league wide
MLS grown dramatically
LAX grown dramatically.

You are comparing a current CFL vs a time when they were near extincion. Further supporting my point. Of course they should be better than a point when they were about to fold the entire league. If you are not significanly better than a point where the league was going to implode then something is wrong.

Anyway you like the CFL, good for you, challenging someone's logic because they didn't want to support the CFL because the product is unacceptable to him/her is their perogitive and not one others need to be condencending about.

Bench Warmer
08-05-2007, 02:32 PM
vs ten years ago:
NFL grown dramatically
NBA leveled off from an all time high
MLB grown dramatically
NHL grown dramatically, attendance is up and so is revenue league wide
MLS grown dramatically
LAX grown dramatically.

You are comparing a current CFL vs a time when they were near extincion. Further supporting my point. Of course they should be better than a point when they were about to fold the entire league. If you are not significanly better than a point where the league was going to implode then something is wrong.

Anyway you like the CFL, good for you, challenging someone's logic because they didn't want to support the CFL because the product is unacceptable to him/her is their perogitive and not one others need to be condencending about.

What's the difference if it was near extinction? Your point was that the CFL isn't growing when it clearly has. If anything, it's to the CFL's credit they're stiall around. Per capita, it's arguable that it's grown the most out of any of the leagues you pointed out and most you mentioned have not grown dramatically at all since 10 years ago.

Anyway, this is going nowhere - we disagree so be it.

JiriHrdina
08-05-2007, 07:57 PM
I consider myself a casual CFL fan but I was a die-hard for a long time. One of the things that caused me to turn from Diehard to casual was the constant poor officiating. I defend officials in almost every sports. I've done some officiating, I know its hard. But the reffing in the CFL is consisntely bad, and consistently plays a factor in the outcome of games. After seeing this season after season I found it actually caused me to stop caring about the games as much.

I know back then CFL refs weren't even full time and I thought that was bush league. Perhaps that changed but judging by the quality (or lack thereof) I suspect it hasn't.

Super-Rye
08-05-2007, 10:27 PM
The Calgary Edmonton game should have been very exciting. 2 seasons ago I might have even gotten excited. But watching the game, the reffing ruined it. I've really tried to get back into the CFL since jumping ship (becoming a big time NFL fan) but I just can't. From the constant blow outs to the poor officiating it's just not exciting. Last night the game was seperated by 2 points with a game winning feild goal kicked with 2 seconds left and all I could think to myself was "Wow, good for them...but if it wasn't for the refs that games over 5 minutes ago." then changing the channel from boredom.

Cowboy89
08-07-2007, 11:26 AM
As bad as some of the officiating calls have been this year I think it's still a lot better than a few years ago. Back then refs would consistantly haul out old un-used rules and apply them liberally to situations that didn't call for them. How many times in the 90s did I see an offensive unit remain on the field after 3rd down for a 10 yard 'taunting' penalty against the defense. First of all that rule is rediculous and second of all I'm sure that the spirit of the rule was to only be used to control the players when tempers were getting out of control to the point of fighting. However those refs somehow found reason to haul that one out two or three times a game back then. The threat of replay challange showing them up has made them better at calling catches, fumbles, and other challangeable offenses however they are still terrible for anything that a coach can't call them on.

calf
08-09-2007, 04:07 PM
Director of Officiating talked with Mike Petrie today...some explanations on the calls:

http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/stampsinsider/default.aspx

The explanations, imo, deserve one big :blink:

rubecube
08-09-2007, 04:29 PM
If you’re going to block a pass, you put the decision in the hands of the officials. If you’re a player or coach, is that where you want it to be? We’re always going to err on side of protecting the quarterback. That’s our default mechanism.”

BUSH. LEAGUE.

ken0042
08-10-2007, 07:36 AM
Director of Officiating talked with Mike Petrie today...some explanations on the calls:

http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/stampsinsider/default.aspx

The explanations, imo, deserve one big :blink:

Your link points to a new page today. I think this is what you had yesterday.
http://communities.canada.com/calgaryherald/blogs/stampsinsider/archive/2007/08/09/george-black-explains-cal-edm-calls.aspx