PDA

View Full Version : Game Day: Who are we going to see Hank or Frank?

OzSome
08-04-2007, 04:39 PM
Well, in a half an hour the Stampeders will play the wicked witch of Northern Alberta Edmonton Eskimos. Both teams are struggling but the Stamps should have an advantage in receiving corp. If Hank shows up, we can see the Stamps annihilating the Esks BUT if Frank shows up, then it is going to be a long night again.

Anyways, who will show as QB for the Stamps today? Would it be the good Hank or the bad Frank? I am hoping for Hank and I wish he use Joffrey more this time.

Go STAMPS Go!!!

ricoFlame
08-04-2007, 04:52 PM
pff, no one knows, ideally hank, but with this guy, anybody's guess.

mrdeeds
08-04-2007, 05:58 PM
10-4, but the Eskimos seem to be getting some momentum. Burris has been solid though.

calculoso
08-04-2007, 06:23 PM
Very fiery game... 2 Eskimos tossed:
- 77 Edmonton (Gass) for wrestling a helmet off of Stamps 62 (Comiskey) and throwing it away,
- 44 Edmonton for punching a Stamp in the face

17-8 Stamps, 1:46 left in Second Quarter

transplant99
08-04-2007, 06:42 PM
Great half by Hank...but two plays seemed to hurt Calgary.

Boerigter caught a bad call on that offensive interference where he caught a TD...it was weak at best. 7 became 3.

ralph getting outmuscled for that ball while Calgary was marching...Edmonton gets 3 off a turnover.

The game score is closer than the game is...but thats the CFL in a nutshell sometimes.

OzSome
08-04-2007, 06:44 PM
So far, we've been seeing Hank but I am getting ticked off that they abandoned Reynolds again for a long period of time especially with AJ Gass out of the game.

It looks like the defense is throwing a Jekkyl and Hyde this time, though. Whoever s covering that midget receiver (TJ Acree) is getting burned way too much.

After the first half, the game is getting chippy. Stupid AJ Gass getting kicked out because of his stupidity (throwing helmet). Stamps offense should take advantage of the new LBs for Eskimos. Reynolds should run more and play Nik Lewis a lot more. Lewis can outrun the LBs and position himself for catching wide open ball.

ricoFlame
08-04-2007, 07:58 PM
khari jones is a hilaious colour guy, half of the time he is laughing during the play. good stuff.

i love how steve armatage calls him ka-harry.

OzSome
08-04-2007, 08:05 PM
Referee is winning the game for the Eskimos here. Way too many unneccessary flags and all against the Stamps so far. What a stupid challenge by Tom Higgins. Is this guy on drugs or something? When I hear there was a challenge I have to question what for. If they lose the challenge they lose a timeout, if they win nothing will happen as there was pass interference call plus the roughing call anyways.

Come on Stamps, don't let the referee dictate the game. $h&t another freaking flag for the Stamps (roughing the kicker). Unbelievable!!!

transplant99
08-04-2007, 08:06 PM
The officiating in the CFL is about as goofy as anything in sports.

Unbelievable.

chockfullofgoodness
08-04-2007, 08:08 PM
The officiating in the CFL is about as goofy as anything in sports.

Unbelievable.

I'm generally not one to complain about officiating, but holy crap, this game has been a joke.

transplant99
08-04-2007, 08:09 PM
I'm generally not one to complain about officiating, but holy crap, this game has been a joke.

Nor am I....but this is beyond anything I have ever seen.

I have seen many games where it is bad....but this is just strange.

ricoFlame
08-04-2007, 08:10 PM
Nor am I....but this is beyond anything I have ever seen.

I have seen many games where it is bad....but this is just strange.

yeah, it's really something. seem to be tossing flags at will.

chockfullofgoodness
08-04-2007, 08:18 PM
Sweet!

Flames0910
08-04-2007, 08:20 PM
YEAH!:w00t:

transplant99
08-04-2007, 08:23 PM
Probably poetic justice in the end, but you know what? It doesn't matter.

This display by the officials (and yes the Stamps at times as well) was nothing short of abhorrent.

Literally...and its hard to say this about any sports.....it looked like the fix was in. It was that comical.

Again I am very leery about accusing profesional officials as to doing anything but their best, but this just was not the case in this game nor in one i watched earlier this season.

I think I may just call it a season now.

chockfullofgoodness
08-04-2007, 08:29 PM
The one call that really stood out was when the Esks player caught the punt and then fell to the ground. The Stamps player merely touched him so the ref could blow the play dead. Penalty Calgary. Wow. Notr to mention the roughing the passer call, followed shortly by the roughing the kicker call. Brutal officiating all around. Maybe the worst I've seen in 10 years.

OzSome
08-04-2007, 08:30 PM
Sandro to the rescue!!!!!! Yeah STAMPS!!!

Well, HANK showed up tonight and played an exceptional and safe game. You cannot fault him for 2 supposedly 7 pointers that turned out to 3 points because the OLine penalties. One of the 7 pointers was wiped out by freaking referee's offensive passing interference call. Refs were just brutal today. CFL should clean up the refereeing as I've seen way too many flags this season so far. Thank god that last challenge call by Higgins worked out as the TD by Gaylor was nullified. The Stamps needed to score a TD if that TD call stands.

As I mentioned after the first half, two players should have more time to play after AJ Gass got kicked out. When they used them, they contributed very well. Lewis with some great catches and Reynolds running the TD.

I think the game was chippy but entertaining except for the refereeing trying to ruin the game. Stamps get banged up with 2 DLinemen down with knee injuries. 2 of Stamps receivers get banged up as well (Boerigter and Thelwell). Anyways, good for Hank to come back and showed us his critics that we are wrong about him JUST this game, though. Sweet win.

Flames in 07
08-04-2007, 08:30 PM

This display by the officials (and yes the Stamps at times as well) was nothing short of abhorrent.

Literally...and its hard to say this about any sports.....it looked like the fix was in. It was that comical.

Again I am very leery about accusing profesional officials as to doing anything but their best, but this just was not the case in this game nor in one i watched earlier this season.

Hall of fame game is tomorrow, the official day that the CFL is dead to me.

The problem is that CFL officials do not recieve any kind of training or decent experience that allows them to be competant at this level with this speed.

The worst call I have seen in sports in my life was a argos game a few days ago, the ball went over a WR's head, at which point the ref blows the play dead, then a Mtl defender catches the ball for an INT. The ref doesn't even let the ball land on the ground and blows the whistle. The CFL is a great idea that has been mismanaged for a couple generations now.

Harbourmouth
08-04-2007, 08:36 PM

I will honour my commitment until the end of the year with my buddy I'm sitting with. After that, I am done. Can't stomach this anymore.

browna
08-04-2007, 08:42 PM
Great playing by the team and by Burris...had to beat the Esks and the refs...two phantom headshots, and roughing the kicker call. Horrible.

As for T99, Hugh Campbell probably made a trip down to the officials room and made some strongly worded suggestions to the refs after the two ejections.

Don't know what was more pathetic, Gass on his 'roid rage or Kepley yukking it up with him after. Absolutely pathetic, but we've come to expect that type of class from Gass the last few years and the Eskimos in general.

Don't forget that little muppet Macocia and all his eating grins and facial expressions and being proud of his players for standing up at the end of the 2nd quarter,....more facial expressions than a clown, and almost as much common sense as one.

Again, Burris with mistake free ball..some drops by the receivers early, the defense played well all game after losing two lineman, and presevered.

socalwingfan
08-04-2007, 09:08 PM
Little OT - is Tyler Ebell seeing any action with the Esks?? He played high school football here and I worked out with him a couple of times - pretty cool guy even though he went to UCLA for while

transplant99
08-04-2007, 09:12 PM
Little OT - is Tyler Ebell seeing any action with the Esks?? He played high school football here and I worked out with him a couple of times - pretty cool guy even though he went to UCLA for while

He played tonight...and played well until he went down with what appeared to be a shoulder injury.

cSpooge
08-04-2007, 09:47 PM
The problem is that CFL officials do not recieve any kind of training or decent experience that allows them to be competant at this level with this speed.

Do you even understand what one has to go through to become an official in the CFL?!?!?! They do get a lot of training and many of them have 15+ years officiating football.

Almost everyone of the officials (actually I think it may be all of them) have working CIAU games (playoff games as well). Also where else other than CFL games are they going to get used to the speed?

calf
08-05-2007, 02:46 AM
nice game, and credit to Burris for rising to the occasion when he was on the hot seat. I like the guy, but in the final minute, I was fully expecting an interception or fumble to put the game away...I'm quite happy with the win...the officiating, not so much.

I'm sure there will be a press release from George Black this week justifying some of the calls somehow...

Flames in 07
08-05-2007, 08:59 AM
Do you even understand what one has to go through to become an official in the CFL?!?!?! They do get a lot of training and many of them have 15+ years officiating football.

Almost everyone of the officials (actually I think it may be all of them) have working CIAU games (playoff games as well). Also where else other than CFL games are they going to get used to the speed?

I actually have a very good idea of what they have to go through, I'm friends with a couple CFL officials, and I'm most of them would tell you the same thing that I just said.

Your second point confirms my point and exactly what I was thinking of when I referred to their experience. CIAU and Jr football is not good prep for the CFL. NCAA is a better prep for pro ball than CIAU is because the CIAU is much slower and there is little scrutiny on their officiating, and further outside of game experience the training lacks way behind the american system and what they really need to be properly qualified.

As for your question about where else can they get used to the speed ... nowhere, that's the problem. I don't think it's the refs fault, just that the system is not set up for them to get proper education and experience.