PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Hall of Fame hates the Broncos!

Displaced Flames fan
08-02-2007, 11:19 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/halloffame07/columns/story?columnist=sando_mike&id=2958207&lpos=spotlight&lid=tab2pos1

Neat little article illustrating just how improbable it is that John Elway is the Broncos' only HOFer.

SportsJunky
08-03-2007, 09:15 AM
Seems odd doesn't it?

I'd love to see Steve Atwater get in there. Tom Jackson too.

DFF, do you think Shannon Sharpe or Rod Smith will make it?

Bobblehead
08-03-2007, 10:00 AM
It will be tough for TD only because his carreer was so short. If he had put up even decent numbers for a few more years he would have been a shoe-in.

And while I love Rod Smith, he will have similar issues as Art Monk. A long and great career, but without those few years where everyone was measured against him. I'd take Smith on my team any day of the week, but I'm not sure he had those HOF seasons.

Seems like the Broncos have an awesome personnel department, and a great system. And I don't think anyone would complain if more of those players made the hall. But when they come up and are measured against other guys who did have the long career and benchmark seasons, they just don't quite have enough to usurp them.

In the years the Broncos were considered for enshrinement, who should have been bumped to make room?

It is always interesting reading the articles by guys like Peter King and Dr. Z who try to explain who they push for and why they did or didn't vote for specific players.

Edit: and just a thought, but I wonder if the Patriots aren't going to be wondering the same things in a few years. Other than Brady, they have a lot of very good players but I'm not sure they have any "HOF" players. They are a team greater than the whole of their parts.

RyZ
08-03-2007, 01:02 PM
Seems odd doesn't it?

I'd think that Shannon Sharp has to be a shoe-in, at the time he retired he was arguably the best TE ever. Smith has a tougher hill to climb though. I suspect he'll get onto a ballot or 2 but will never get in.

FlamingLonghorn
08-03-2007, 01:20 PM
It will be tough for TD only because his carreer was so short. If he had put up even decent numbers for a few more years he would have been a shoe-in.

And while I love Rod Smith, he will have similar issues as Art Monk. A long and great career, but without those few years where everyone was measured against him. I'd take Smith on my team any day of the week, but I'm not sure he had those HOF seasons.

Seems like the Broncos have an awesome personnel department, and a great system. And I don't think anyone would complain if more of those players made the hall. But when they come up and are measured against other guys who did have the long career and benchmark seasons, they just don't quite have enough to usurp them.

In the years the Broncos were considered for enshrinement, who should have been bumped to make room?

It is always interesting reading the articles by guys like Peter King and Dr. Z who try to explain who they push for and why they did or didn't vote for specific players.

Edit: and just a thought, but I wonder if the Patriots aren't going to be wondering the same things in a few years. Other than Brady, they have a lot of very good players but I'm not sure they have any "HOF" players. They are a team greater than the whole of their parts.

I think Richard Seymour will get in, but that is about it....

Lurch
08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Pats could have Seau, outside shot for Corey Dillon (now retired?), Randy Moss if he plays 3 more years at a high level, Rodney Harrison has a long shot chance.

Broncos, I think Sharpe is a cake walk, John Lynch almost certain, Tom Nalen a maybe, and the rest do not deserve it. Champ Bailey if he plays at a high level for 3 or 4 more years I guess as well.

Bobblehead
08-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Pats could have Seau, outside shot for Corey Dillon (now retired?), Randy Moss if he plays 3 more years at a high level, Rodney Harrison has a long shot chance.

Broncos, I think Sharpe is a cake walk, John Lynch almost certain, Tom Nalen a maybe, and the rest do not deserve it. Champ Bailey if he plays at a high level for 3 or 4 more years I guess as well.

Out of your list, I would guess only Sharpe and Seau will make the HOF, and Seau will do it as a Charger.

Dillon, nope. Moss has soured too many people on him. Harrison, not enough. Lynch, not enough (but even then he would go in as a Buc, unless Broncos win another SB). Nalen - too tough for O-Linemen unless you play for 30 years without missing a start. Bailey gets beat too often.

Displaced Flames fan
08-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Seems odd doesn't it?

I think Shannon Sharpe is in easy...he SHOULD be a first ballot guy, but....

Rod's numbers are hall worthy IMO...but he's not flashy. We'll see.

Gradishar should've been in long ago as well.

Displaced Flames fan
08-03-2007, 04:18 PM
Speaking of Dr. Z....he usually comes off as not liking the Broncos when I read him...which is fine...but I was shocked when he said he would be backing Terrell Davis for the HOF.

I think his 2000 yard season might get him in, not by itself, but as something to push him over the top.

flames_1987
08-03-2007, 04:57 PM

Seau will get in but it will have nothing to do with his years in New England. There's no way Corey Dillon has a chance in hell even if he played 5 more years. I think Randy needs 5 years of all star caliber football to get him in.

Since some seem to be listing there teams potential HOF'ers, the Colts ones are pretty obvious. Harrison is a first ballot selection, Peyton is a no brainer even if he retired today, and if Wayne stays in Indy the rest of his carrer along side Peyton, who knows.