PDA

View Full Version : Wannstedt to resign as Dolphins' coach

Cheese
11-09-2004, 08:45 AM
poor Hanna Sniper...his Dolphins are bad and now their coach quits!

First the running back...now the coach! (http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_ylc=X3oDMTBpcTFhbmEwBF9TAzk1ODYxMDU5BHNlYwN0 bQ--?slug=ap-dolphins-wannstedt&prov=ap&type=lgns)

Flickered Flame
11-09-2004, 08:53 AM
I've been waiting for this day...Dave is a good guy but he should have never brought back this season. Dave's problems are more then just lots of injuries, and a poor qb...his offensive line sucks and Ricky Williams would have trouble running with that o-line. Maybe Spurrier will come aboard, and hopefully draft Adrian Peterson, and maybe find a different QB.

moon
11-09-2004, 09:23 AM
They will have to wait two years before they can draft Peterson unless the Clarett case is changed which is unlikely as it already failed upon appeal.

Hanna Sniper
11-10-2004, 02:37 PM
Yes, I’m very sad to see Wannstedt leave. I was a big supporter of him and he’s a great coach, I really liked him and wish he would have stayed on, anyone that watched the Dolphins this year and not just highlights like most tend too (after all how many will have the Dolphins as their no.1 game.) will understand that the team record is in no way a reflection of bad coaching. He has very little control of player personal and has been forced to deal with one bad thing after another. He should have never been allowed to be in this situation. But I’m not really surprised, the same dinks that ran Shula out of town because Johnson wanted to coach the Dolphins are the same ones behind this.

BUT.. I have zero respect for anyone that walks out on his team

:( I still love my Dolphins though

dirk diggler
11-10-2004, 06:04 PM
Originally posted by Flickered Flame@Nov 9 2004, 03:53 PM
I've been waiting for this day...Dave is a good guy but he should have never brought back this season. Dave's problems are more then just lots of injuries, and a poor qb...his offensive line sucks and Ricky Williams would have trouble running with that o-line. Maybe Spurrier will come aboard, and hopefully draft Adrian Peterson, and maybe find a different QB.
Spurrier coming aboard??? who would want this guy after his pitiful job he did with the redskins.... wannestadt is a good guy in a bad situation, spurrier is so far from the answer

Flickered Flame
11-10-2004, 11:45 PM
Dirk, I like Spurriers ability to run an offense...he was in a terrible spot in washington the entire team sucked. If the dolphins are heathly on the defensive side of the ball they have a top 5-10 defence in the nfl. Spurrier loves to pass, and has some good receivers in miami (Chambers, Booker, Boston when healthy). I would pick spurrier or the New England offensive coordinator, can't recall his name though.

dirk diggler
11-11-2004, 11:59 AM
I just question whether Spurrieris an NFL coach, college he obviously did well. he likes to have an agrressive offense that throws the ball, but much like the Stampeders, he doesnt have the personnel to make it work... if it was indy with manning, harrison, james etc.... that might be different... just my thoughts

moon
11-11-2004, 12:16 PM
Spurrier recently said that he doesn't want to return to the NFL and that he realised his style does not fit in the league. It is possible that he could be persuaded to change his mind but I doubt it.

I think he will end up at South Carolina, especially if Hootie Johnson gives he a membership to Augusta.

Ro
11-11-2004, 03:30 PM
I disagree Hanna. All those things you said are true, but helped shove him out the door, but he was not doing a good job.

Wanny had lost our boys, and has made numerous poor decisions over the last 2 or 3 years, including many this year.

Some of note:

-Running Ricky so much the previous 2 seasons
-The Dolphins are giving up something like 68 points in 3rd quarters this year, something that could be attributed to poor coaching
-his handling of the starting qb situation in camp/preseason
-his refusal to play some rookies/younger guys

And how can you overlook all those losing Decembers and playoff losses?

I liked Wanny as a person, but we need a Darryl Sutter/Bill Belicheck type, not a player's coach. I like the move.

As for his replacement, it won't be Spurrier. The one guy from the NCAA it might be is Nick Saban. A definite Belicheck type. I know there was those trecent reports saying he isn't leaving LSU, but some reporters (Dan LeBatard for one) have come out and suggested that the media dismiss them as PC statements and nothing more. He wants to move up, and Miami is a good situation. Stable ownership, etc. I really hope we snag him.

The guy who needs to go now is Spielman. We keep getting raped for our draft picks, and the ones we keep turn out to be duds. Randy McMichael and Chris Chambers over the last 4-5 years, and that's it. He needs to be fired.

Ro
11-12-2004, 10:54 PM
Good link:

Herald link (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/football/10160824.htm)

might need to register though...

Hanna Sniper
11-12-2004, 11:44 PM
In response to your questions Ro

-Running Ricky so much the previous 2 seasons
For me I really only think you have three top years out of a running back anyways, I say run the hell out of him in the three years. After all is not like there a second option, taking the ball out of Fielder’s hands is giving your team the best chance at winning.

-The Dolphins are giving up something like 68 points in 3rd quarters this year, something that could be attributed to poor coaching
Now there’s nothing I can honestly argue about that but I would like to point out that that’s an average of 7.5 points a quarter. Added to the fact that the defence after playing half the game with a shorten field and a growing frustration as it see the offence continually punting after 3 downs. After frustration adds up for the D there’s bond to be times when the Defence isn’t able to hold the opposing team from scoring when there is less then half the field to move. Plus how many of those points were Fielder throwing a touchdown for the other team.

-his handling of the starting qb situation in camp/preseason
What QB situation? Neither should be a starting QB

-his refusal to play some rookies/younger guys
I really don’t care about this, you play the best guy you think that can win you the football game, if it’s a veteran I see no difference

And how can you overlook all those losing Decembers and playoff losses?
It’s not overlooking, just lack of a QB and I don’t think you can win without it.

I don’t mean to be blaming Fielder because I’m not. He does the best he can and he truly gives his all and there’s nothing more you can ask from him… but I don’t think he should be a starting quarterback in the NFL.

Now out of your points, for me there's nothing there.... yes you can use the 68 points and have solid ground with that, and yes useing past playoffs is more then fair game and safe to say is enough. But for me there sometimes other factors then just the Coach's fault, thats the easy and blind way out.... and you can guess what i think those other factors are

Ro
11-13-2004, 09:00 PM
Well said. I guess we disagree on a few things. But I do agree with your sentiment that the talent was never really there, especially this year. Our o-line might just be the worst one assembled in the NFL in the last dozen years.

But let me put it this way- did you really think the Dolphins could win with Wanny as head coach?

I never did. And coaches always end up being the scapegoats, that's just how she goes.

And for the record, I think that 68 points stat was actually the difference between what the opponents scored, and what we scored in 3rd quarters. So it's actually a bit higher for pts. against per that quarter. But I digress...