PDA

View Full Version : Baseball vs. Soccer

KevanGuy
07-14-2007, 12:59 AM
So I'm watching Prime Time Sports tonight and they devote an entire half an hour to Beckham, the MLS and 'soccer' in general. The consensus was (and one guest even said this) that if they had to chose between a soccer game and a baseball game they would choose baseball. All the while soccer was labeled as too boring and not worth watching for the entire 90 minutes.

What I would like to know is if anyone here thinks baseball is less boring than soccer? And if so, why?

I am a soccer fan and watch on average of probably 4 or 5 matches a week. I played baseball growing up and have tried to watch it on TV but find it INCREDIBLY boring. I remember trying to watch the World Series a couple years ago (I think it was the Red Sox victory year? I don't know) and couldn't believe how long it took in between pitches. Easily minutes. Not only that but when a ball was hit there would be action for what....10 seconds?

I mean, I can understand people (or I guess North Americans) not 'getting' soccer. But at least you have constant passes, plays and set pieces being made. In baseball...players stand around...commentators discuss the batters lack of RBIs in the past 2 weeks...oh, a fly ball. And some players could probably be classified as being obese. Yet it seems to get a free pass by the NA talking heads.

I guess my bias has shown too much in my post. I was trying to solicit some barely partial responses. But the question still stands...is baseball less boring then soccer?

Table 5
07-14-2007, 01:09 AM
My whole life i was told that baseball had to be seen live to be fully appreciated...the atmosphere, the smells and sounds, etc. So because of this, I had never bashed it too much even though internally i felt it was a very bland sport played by overweight men who couldnt cut it in a real game. Last week, I finally went to a Yankees-Twins matchup at Yankee Stadium for my first ever MLB game. And I have to say, I was bored out of my fricking mind the entire game....and apparently it was a good one too.

I have seen way more fun and action in the under 20 world cup then i will ever see at any baseball game. the sad fact is that a lot of north americans WANT to remain ignorant about the sport, and not even give it a chance. Too bad, its an amazing display of skill and ability.

Dion
07-14-2007, 01:36 AM
Given the choice i'd choose baseball in a heartbeat. I saw the Twins win the World Series in 91 and thought the atmosphere inside the Metrodome was electric. I've always enjoyed the game better watching it live in person.

I love the drama and strategies that come with the game. I can also understand KG's points on the game of baseball. When I first started watching the game I found it incredibly boring as pitchers took forever to make that pitch or managers calling time to talk with the pitcher or to make a pitching change. It was only when I studied up on the strategies and intracies of the game did it make more sense. Instead of being bored I analyze the moves made by the manager or revel in the drama when the pictcher has a 3-2 count with the bases loaded.

I'm sure it's no different with soccer when one understands the strategies and intracies of the game. For me I like to see lots of scoring and frankly soccer doesn't supply that aspect of the game for me.

Addick
07-14-2007, 01:55 AM
The consensus was (and one guest even said this) that if they had to chose between a soccer game and a baseball game they would choose baseball. All the while soccer was labeled as too boring and not worth watching for the entire 90 minutes.

I was actually talking to a few of my friends about this today. I'm baffled at how the majority of Americans, or at least the portion that gets to voice their opinion, think the beautiful game is boring yet they love baseball and American football. The latter does have a fair bit of action but it's fairly stop-and-go, and baseball is just plain old boring. What I hate about baseball is how the players only play a little more than half of the game, and when they are "playing" most of them are just standing there doing little more than their counterparts in the dugout. Aside from the pitchers, I think the concession attendants are the hardest workers at a baseball park on game night.

My whole life i was told that baseball had to be seen live to be fully appreciated...the atmosphere, the smells and sounds, etc.

The same could be said about footy. The first match I saw was at the quietest grounds in the EPL at the time, they put the Dome playoff style to shame... The energy of the crowd, the smell of the grass, just two things that can make the experience unforgettable! Anyone who would choose a baseball game over a footy match is simply insane! In addition to this, many football haters do not really understand the game; they cannot see the beauty in how a play develops and how the two teams battle each other.

I've been pretty hard on baseball as I think it's painfully boring, however, I do realize that it is a very complex game. Hitting a ball travelling in excess of 120km isn't easy; far less is predicting where the ball is going by determining the spin of the ball. The game is more than just throwing a ball, hitting it, and running around bases. However, that other stuff is overshadowed by the boring end product.

ricoFlame
07-14-2007, 04:54 AM
both are totally watchable. i spent last night flicking between the ball game (jays vs. bosox) and the football game (mexico vs. congo). i have a passion for both, and if given the chance wouldn't pass either up. if it was attending one or the other, that would be tough, but i suppose that baseball might just edge out football in the end for me, but close for sure. i could watch either one any time, all day, whatev. love it.

CaramonLS
07-14-2007, 08:11 AM
Baseball - no question.

I think you can see plenty of bad soccer games - too much passing, diving, not enough scoring chances, etc etc - but for me at least you can almost always see a good baseball game. I just have no interest what so ever in watching any sort of soccer game.

Someone always accels at one part of the game - If I pitcher is mowing down hitters, that is awsome to watch, teams on a rally? Fun. Back and Forth like last night vs. the BoSox - Coming down to Manny Ramirez vs. Accardo? Love it. Sometimes it can be tough to watch when you've got a hack pitcher throwing nothing and hitters are just fowling it off, but I think for the most part, it is a lot of fun to watch. Always some part of it to enjoy.

FlamingLonghorn
07-14-2007, 09:01 AM
overweight men who couldnt cut it in a real game.

That's the only part of your post I disagree with. There are a few (a small minority) overweight players in baseball, but the majority are a amazing athletes. Hell off the top of my head Adam Dunn turned down being qb for the Texas Longhorns, Dave Winfield was drafted in the NBA draft, Tom Glavine was drafted by the Kings in the 4th round before Robitaille. However, they all enjoyed baseball more.

socalwingfan
07-14-2007, 09:12 AM
I'm a huge baseball fan - of the 162 Yankee games - I probably watch 130 - 140 of them. I listen to the start of the game on the radio on my commute home, and then watch the end on TV.

I also watch EPL whenever I can - and during the World Cup, me and the facilities guys at work spent a lot of time in the gym watching soccer while people were working out. Can't watch MSL though, I just can't get into it.

I will watch Baseball/Soccer before I watch NFL - i find it to be incredibly boring and I was a Stampeder season ticket holder for years. I guess I'm the opposite of most americans.

habernac
07-14-2007, 09:16 AM
Soccer is a game I always loved to play. But I still can't stand watching it. I don't like the diving, that's part of the reason. The pace can be a little tough to take (and yes, baseball has it's share of stinkers as well). Great athletes play both sports. Watching Ichiro cover the entire outfield live at Safeco was a treat.

In the end, I just love the strategies in baseball. I enjoy a pitcher's duel as much as a slugfest. And it's a game my grandfather and I watched when I was just a boy. And recently, I've gotten into reading about the history of the game, which is fantastic.

I'll defend the atheticism of soccer anyday of the week. But I still have a hard time watching a full game. A big reason is that I just don't have an attachment to any team or group of players. And I figure I watch enough TV already, so it will probably stay that way.

Sylvanfan
07-14-2007, 11:23 AM
It seems that North American sports viewers and Americans in particular seem to prefer a game that features short action spurts and than a pause in between plays to analyze and prepare for the next play. Baseball is a game built on drama, and they have a chance to build up the drama on every play. Football is much the same way as a play takes 5 to 10 seconds to execute and than you have 45 seconds to get the next play together. Even Basketball in the last two mintues becomes a series of 24 second possession blocks with time outs between ever play. Even when it is moving earlier in the game there is a bit of a break between most plays and teams taking their time to bring the ball up court and set things up. Even with Autoracing how many laps in a Nascar race are under the caution flag? Theres a burst of action, a crash occurs and than it's caution flag time a pit stop and than a few more laps of racing sort of thing.

A game like soccer flows with continuous action and almost no stoppages, and the ones that do happen are quite brief. The only times you seem to get any type of pause to set something up is a penalty kick or corner kick which as a North American viewer I tend to find as the most entertaining parts of the game because drama can be built up and something could happen. So I guess my answer is that when I watch a game I have a short attention span and want to see potential action on every play. A series of nice passes to establish ball control, or slide tackle are plays that happen continuously, but in the end usually don't result in goals sort of thing. Seeing as you need goals to win thats what I'm probably looking for in a game and it's tough to predict what exact moments those plays will occur with the exception of corners and penalty kick situations where chances can arise. I think thats also a bit of a reason why hockey hasn't caught on in the U.S to a large degree as it's hard to predict when the real action is going to happen.

Although I'm tempted to go check out the U20 quarters here in Edmonton. I do like watching top level calibre soccer on T.V. as the skill level in World Cups tends to really stand out to me. Perhaps I need to see a decent game live to better appreciate it.

JiriHrdina
07-14-2007, 11:37 AM
I love watching baseball but the experience is totally different than watching any other sport. The pace is very slow punctuated by moments of excitement. But watching a ball game is something I find very relaxing and very cerebral.

I'm not a huge soccer fan, but I've actually always imagined the experience of watching soccer is closer to baseball than anything else because although the action is continuos, the pace is still somewhat slow compared to most sports.

jam26
07-14-2007, 11:45 AM
I tried getting into soccer during the Under 20 championships and watched Canada's first game vs Chile...The flopping around and diving I saw killed any chance of me being able to take soccer seriously.

It was frustrating to watch. Having said that, I can appreciate the passion soccer fans have for their sport and still keep an eye on the major world events.

I enjoy baseball but usually just have it on in the background while I read or do work around the house. As Jiri says, it's relaxing and every once in a while something really remarkable happens that makes it worth watching.

Caged Great
07-14-2007, 12:07 PM
As a fan of both Soccer and Baseball, I will say that I like playing Soccer more, but I don't have a preference and it depends on what is on at the time.

When I watch a regular season jays game, I tend to be doing something for the majority of the game just because it is kind of boring. However if they jays get something going I watch intently. If a playoff game is going on, then I watch the entire game.

I don't watch soccer regularly as I don't really have a team that I follow. However, in international events, I watch almost every match.

sadora
07-14-2007, 12:38 PM
I enjoy watching both sports, in fact I prefer to watch a baseball game over an american or Canadian football game. But if it comes down to a choice between baseball and soccer I have to go with soccer. It's a bit of an uneven comparison between the two sports and anyone who thinks soccer is boring obviously doesn't understand the game.

Gugstanley
07-14-2007, 01:31 PM
I like watching and following baseball but can't get into soccer at all. It is boring to me. I will admit I haven't learned the game like I have with baseball so that might be part of the problem. Just don't care if soccer is on tv or being played live. Oh and I am really pissed that tax money is being chipped in to build Real Salt Lake a stadium.

Maserati
07-14-2007, 03:18 PM
I grew up playing football(soccer) and have been to many matches and have watched many on the TV.I've tried to watch out a baseball game and jus was bored out of my mind dont mind playing it as a video game though and when it is featured in a movie.
I honestly think it depends on the country you are in.N.Americans not all but alot grow up watching baseball so it is part of the culture in other countries ppl grow up watching and playin soccer as a result it is part of their culture.
Soccer has its bad side with the diving and on some occasions fan troubles and some crappy matches.
Baseball is mainly N.America and some countries on the outside Cuba,Japan,Venezuela..
Soccer is way more international.
Anyhow I would prefer soccer anyday but if i get an opportunity I wouldn't mind going to have a look at a baseball match I'm open to it.

FlamesPuck12
07-15-2007, 01:03 AM
I'd choose MLB over MLS but World Cup Soccer over MLB

worth
07-15-2007, 12:25 PM
Baseball by a long shot. I think people in Canada unjustifiably bash both sports for some reason, but both are fun to watch. But i'd rather watch a good baseball game than a good soccer game.

Baseball games live are just great. Great atmosphere, the food the sights. Just so much history. I've never been to a real live soccer game, as i'm sure a game in England would also be unreal, and I would very much like to experience this as wel, but right now for me it's baseball.

Thunderball
07-15-2007, 12:28 PM
Soccer, no contest. Played well, there's nothing better anywhere.

Baseball is the equivalent of watching paint dry. The best way to describe my experience at a baseball game was, "it was a nice time, good beer, good hot dog, good conversation, and there was also a game going on."

Flames in 07
07-15-2007, 02:18 PM
It seems that North American sports viewers and Americans in particular seem to prefer a game that features short action spurts and than a pause in between plays to analyze and prepare for the next play. Baseball is a game built on drama, and they have a chance to build up the drama on every play. Football is much the same way as a play takes 5 to 10 seconds to execute and than you have 45 seconds to get the next play together. Even Basketball in the last two mintues becomes a series of 24 second possession blocks with time outs between ever play. Even when it is moving earlier in the game there is a bit of a break between most plays and teams taking their time to bring the ball up court and set things up. Even with Autoracing how many laps in a Nascar race are under the caution flag? Theres a burst of action, a crash occurs and than it's caution flag time a pit stop and than a few more laps of racing sort of thing.

A game like soccer flows with continuous action and almost no stoppages, and the ones that do happen are quite brief. The only times you seem to get any type of pause to set something up is a penalty kick or corner kick which as a North American viewer I tend to find as the most entertaining parts of the game because drama can be built up and something could happen. So I guess my answer is that when I watch a game I have a short attention span and want to see potential action on every play. A series of nice passes to establish ball control, or slide tackle are plays that happen continuously, but in the end usually don't result in goals sort of thing. Seeing as you need goals to win thats what I'm probably looking for in a game and it's tough to predict what exact moments those plays will occur with the exception of corners and penalty kick situations where chances can arise. I think thats also a bit of a reason why hockey hasn't caught on in the U.S to a large degree as it's hard to predict when the real action is going to happen.

Although I'm tempted to go check out the U20 quarters here in Edmonton. I do like watching top level calibre soccer on T.V. as the skill level in World Cups tends to really stand out to me. Perhaps I need to see a decent game live to better appreciate it.

I think the biggest barrier to many North Americans enjoing soccer is not really about tempo, or the amount of 'excitement' there ie the question about comparing it to Baseball.

At least for me it is hard to respect the sport or the athletes because they spend half their energy faking injuries and flopping around like fish.

I grew up playing hockey and football and I look at these players rolling around like they have been shot, and think they are a bunch of babies.

I think if you want to generalize the NA sentiment it has to do with people here seem to respect a tough get'r done aspect to a athlete, and soccer players are about the opposite of that.

Hemi-Cuda
07-15-2007, 11:36 PM
i can't watch soccer because i have zero respect for the players. the amount of diving and acting that goes on is ludicrous. if anyone thinks that diving is bad in the NHL has never watched a soccer match, that's for sure. i even had a drinking game with a few of my buddies who are big soccer fans during the world cup. everytime we saw someone flopping on the ground we had to take a shot, if a stretcher came out it was a double. needless to say we were pretty trashed by the end of the 2 games we tried this for

also i know soccer is a low scoring game, but it really takes it to the extreme. i remember there were 4 games played in one day at the start of the under 20 world cup, and the total goals combined were 3. with hockey if it's 0-0 at least you know with how fast the game is that someone could score at any point. in soccer though you know that for 90% of the game there is no chance of a goal because of how large the field is and how long it takes to get from one end to the other. the other 10% is the action actually taking place near the goal but usually it's one shot which is blocked/deflected and the offensive pressure is over. there's a limit to how much neutral zone battling i can watch

Cowboy89
07-16-2007, 09:13 AM
I think they're both an aquired taste as in you have to grow up playing/watching to really enjoy them. I personally grew up with baseball and thus understand the intricacies of manager startegies and thus don't mind that there's a lot of time in between pitches. Soccer I'm not as familiar with, but as time goes and I understand more, I start to watch it more and more. I hear NASCAR's similar in that you have to watch every race for a season to pick up on which driver hates said other driver and the strategy involved. That being said I don't have enough time to watch an entire NASCAR season before I get any enjoyment out of it.

fredr123
07-16-2007, 01:37 PM
I played a fairly high level of baseball growing up and absolutely love the sport. Up until the lockout, I was watching 3 or 4 games a week on the tube. After the lockout, I had a hard time watching for quite a while. Now I'll take in a game or two a month but tune in more regularly during the playoffs.

As for soccer, I played a little in school but not a lot. I couldn't stand watching it on television until the Euro Cup a few years ago. I made a conscious effort to give it a try and watched as many matches as I could. In the end, I found the tournament incredibly fun to watch. It's not like I stay up late to watch the matches on cable or anything but when the major tournaments happen I'm glued to the tube.

I've yet to see a pro soccer match live. Baseball, with all the sights and sounds and smells and experiences of the stadium, is a great way to while away a lazy afternoon.

KTown
07-16-2007, 11:24 PM
I can watch both, but if I had the chance I prefer soccer over baseball.

I just wish north americans would give the sport a chance, yah there is divers, but there is bad sportsmanship and cheap shots in other sports. I'm not a fan of the diving, but if you've ever had someone slide tackle you from behind it does hurt and I can see why some of the players roll around a bit.

KevanGuy
07-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Thanks for all the well though out responses guys. This thread is actually a bit of a throwback to the old CP days. Well done.

fredr123
07-17-2007, 11:13 AM
I can watch both, but if I had the chance I prefer soccer over baseball.

I just wish north americans would give the sport a chance, yah there is divers, but there is bad sportsmanship and cheap shots in other sports. I'm not a fan of the diving, but if you've ever had someone slide tackle you from behind it does hurt and I can see why some of the players roll around a bit.

I was in the "soccer if boring" camp until I gave it a try. A good sampling of high-quality matches in a tournament of such size and tradition that it dwarfs all others is a great indoctrination. Likewise, if you find baseball to be boring as hell, try watching a few games during a tight pennant chase or during a decent post-season series. As with soccer, the quality of play and the grandeur of the stage raise the spectacle to something that even casual fans can appreciate.

Magnum PEI
07-19-2007, 11:39 PM
I think a better question would be "baseball vs cricket" because soccer blows the standaround game out of the water. I remember going to Cannons games as a kid and just roaming around the concourse because the game was so boring, basically giant chess with a few sprints here and there. but the only thing worse than watching baseball is playing it. You do absolutely nothing for 80 per cent of the game (unless you're the pitcher or the catcher, then it's 50/50), I think you get more excercise playing golf, curling or bowling.
Yeah soccer games are low scoring compared to hockey or baseball, but that makes a goal so much more exciting and valuable, not like a home run every forth at bat for some roided up hulk of a man who can't run because his muscles will tear. And yeah some players dive or embellish fouls, but they do that in hockey all the time, and if baseball was a contact sport, you can bet ballplayers would dive too.
I'd also like point out that soccer is the number one sport in like 170 countries.

Jagger
07-20-2007, 03:06 AM
Well, since I'm from England originally there's little doubt what my answer will be. I'm a huge Liverpool FC fan and was a season ticket holder for years.

I don't believe the majority of North Americans understand the game. It's not part of their culture. Elsewhere in the world people live and die for their footy team. It is hugely important to the quality of their lives, moreso than following teams over here it seems. If anybody has the chance to attend a Liverpool vs Manchester United game at Anfield in Liverpool they should do so. You would then get a taste for the passion and intensity that these two hated rivals have. The atmosphere is second to none. I have literally left Anfield, in the good old days of the standing Kop, with complete ringing in my ears, not being able to hear for a few hours.

With that said, I'm sure baseball, gets pretty much the same rap. If you are not brought up around the game then it means little to you. Being English, baseball is pretty much like the game "rounders" in England. That's a girl's sport! Men play cricket. Now there's a sport that North Americans understand less than soccer.

That's the real debate: Cricket or baseball?

Edit: Oh yeah, I hate diving too. It's been a pet peeve of mine for years. You never saw much of it for quite a while in England until they opened up the shores to the Continental players. The only time you saw it back then (70's to early 80's) was when an English team played mainly Italian teams in one of the Euro cups. It was infuriating to watch. Since that time it has become a problem in England too but still less than other parts of the world. FIFA has continued to make statements that they will stamp out such poor sportsmanship but so far that is purely lip service. It does take away from the game for sure and I can completely understand why it would put some neutral soccer fans off the sport.

HalifaxDrunk
07-20-2007, 08:34 AM
Some say baseball is too slow, but they have forgotten (or don't know) its history and nuances.

Baseball remains a great show because it breaks down into so many great confrontations. Pitcher vs. batter, fielder vs. ball, slugger vs. slump, teams vs. expectations or even curses.

In the weeks after the 9/11 attacks, nothing was more exciting than the hopes of a Mets/Yankees World Series. The Yanks eventually lost to the Arizona Diamondbacks in 7 games but baseball brought some joy to a grief stricken nation. I know this doesn't make an individual game more exciting, but it is a part of the rich history that makes the game great.

EVERY play is about thinking. When you know the difference between how a fastball and a breaking pitch arrive at the plate, the game starts to take roots. The pitcher just threw an inside fastball. Does he dare come back with another fastball, or go with the curve, slider or even a change-up? Does this hitter feast on the inside pitches or down and away? So many choices, but so many ways to lose.

I am not a fan of soccer and because of that I will not bash or give my negative opinions on the sport, I respect it for those who enjoy it. I do watch World Cup games but don't have a particular team so the end result doesn't mean that much to me.

habernac
07-20-2007, 08:37 AM
for the potato detective:

http://images.google.ca/url?q=http://eteamz.active.com/BPV/images/HomePLateCollision001.jpg&usg=AFQjCNHGVpNMEzHvS0uj9Jef6eYy9S8nMw

troutman
07-20-2007, 09:18 AM
No sport is interesting unless you invest the time and emotion in learning about the personalties and histories of the players involved. That, and having a vested interest in which side wins the game. I thought soccer was deadly dull until I started watching the World Cup in the 1980s. Baseball is terribly boring, unless you concentrate on the strategy. Playoff baseball is vey exciting - but it is hard to get excited about game #100 in a long season.

IMO, if you were equally immersed in the five major team sports, I think they can be ranked as most exciting to least exciting as follows:

1. Hockey (nothing is as gripping as a playoff O/T game, or your team trying to kill a penalty in a tight playoff game).

2. Football (CFL or NFL - I love it all, even low-scoring defensive games - too many breaks though)

3. Soccer (European style can be overly defensive, Latin American has more attacking but too much diving)

4. Basketball (love to play it, but why all the time-outs at the end of the game - can't they design plays in practice?)

5. Baseball (playoffs I would rank 4, ahead of basketball)

ParaNoia
07-22-2007, 01:22 AM
baseball, no question about it.

it's a boring sport to watch if you don't know the strategy part of the game..sort of like watching a chess match...you have to know what exactly is planned and counter-measurements to opponent's strategy.

other factor is, unlike the clock-driven sports, baseball had to be played to the very last out in order to call it a game. that is, anything CAN happen, and you actually will lose a game even if you are riding a 14 run lead. not a lot of sports out there allows this to happen (yes, football or basketball, but each has "multiple scoring" system...it's harder to score just 1 runs...in baseball you have to score 1 by 1 all the way up to win.)

it's also not as easy to actually play the game. try stand from the rubber, throw strikes without being hit, or try to step in the box and make solid contact to the pitched ball. and that's only the basic of the game like skating and lift the puck in hockey.

soccer? don't get me wrong, it's also not easy to play soccer, but there're 2 reasons i really dislike the sport.
1. what's the problem of soccer players being touched and they all automatically go down and cover their faces like they've been run over by a car or something. then healed once the opponent team was punished or trainers wiped their tears with a tower.? what the heck?
2 and the biggest reason, soccer is internationally known as a "violent-related" sport, due to brawls on field, brawls between fans. what? is it ok to burn down the stadium because the home team lost? it's ok to shot the national team player because his brain cramp resulting a scoring play? heck morally it's not even ok to punch an opponent fan in the face because their team won the game...but it's being done in soccer. Not every game but soccer people has to admit, a whole lot.

edit. i shouldn't use the word "hate", i apology. it's nothing against the sport, sure it's fun but just how the game is carried out. i absolutely dislike it to the extreme.

Daradon
07-22-2007, 06:10 AM
I don't disagree that there is a lot of strategy in baseball.

I would however contend the athletes in baseball are easily the most unathletic of any major sport and the sport itself is rather 'unsportlike'? Most other sports you can just bust it out till your sick in one play, grab the game. Baseball, aside from slugging a few over the fence or the pitcher toasting the batters, most players can't really try to seize the game. There's no end to end rushing all basketball or hockey (or soccer) there's no sudden interceptions like in football, there's no awesome rallys like in tennis.

But that's just me. I don't mind soccer at all, it would be nice to have some more Canadian talent to cheer for.

And after a while all the strategy and stopages just get boring.

Maserati
07-22-2007, 12:19 PM
^Don't worry the canadian national soccer team is prety good.Will see some nice games from these guys in the future.

As for the Cricket VS Baseball. If you didn't grow up playing or watching cricket it would be very difficult to understand.It is pretty hard to explain how it is played to someone.

HOOT
07-22-2007, 09:24 PM
I just love sports! There is nothing like a Sunday(that isn't nice) where I can just lay around the house and watch whatever is on TV. I have found something good about almost every sport.

I find if you have grown up watching it or have spent time learning about it and its rules you start to like the sport even more. I think even more importantly is the more you understand the stategy of the game you can really get into it.

For me personally there is Hockey and then every other type of sport. However I am sure there is a person who would not put hockey in their top 10 (crazy people that is ;) )

I would rate Baseball and Soccer about the same it would really depend on the venue and teams playing for me to determine who I would want to watch. If its Philly vs Nationals Regular Season or Brazil vs Argentina World Cup, I would pick the World Cup for sure.

OzSome
07-22-2007, 10:38 PM
For me both games are boring to watch but not bad to play. Soccer will never be the same as baseball here in North America. It is like talking hockey in the Southern part of the United States because people are not familiar with the rules and the way how it plays. Most Americans especially grew up playing baseball, american football and basketball so for Americans, they will always pick baseball over soccer. YOu talk to Europeans especially the soccer world country and I guarantee you they will say Soccer is the best sports and none or probably only 1% will pick baseball over soccer. I am in the same way, I grew up watching basketball and only heard of baseball or soccer when I moved to Canada. Then I learned to appreciate watching hockey because I am living in hockey world country.
In short, if you are going to ask me which sports is exciting and which one is boring, I would pick hockey, football(CFL) and basketball as my most exciting sports and pick soccer and baseball as the boring sports. If I have to choose between baseball and soccer as the sports I would watch, I would pick baseball anytime because I can relate to the sports and understand it more.

Otto-matic
07-22-2007, 11:56 PM
I enjoy watching Soccer on the tube more than baseball, I'll catch a couple innings but Soccer I try and watch the whole game. Some of the diving in soccer is just brutal but it hurts like hell when you get cleats in the back of your leg or ankle. Sure the replays might not show it but if you get clipped even a little bit it hurts, but for sure the sport would be better to watch with less diving but the skill the players show is very impressive to watch. Some of the goals scored in soccer are mind boggling, I was watching the Score 64 and I think Roberto Carlos scored a goal and they got a scientist to analyse the goal and they proved that it was impossible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dwRYYeEk5Eg

RyZ
07-23-2007, 10:12 AM
Soccer and baseball are in the same group as NASCAR, curling and golf when it comes to slowness. They can all be absolutely brutal to watch at times if you are not in the mood. The thing that gets me (and probably most red-blooded North American males) about soccer is the rampant puss-ism. After watching hockey and football (american) all year, I get embarrased for men everywhere when I watch soccer. I'd rather walk into a fight with the guys from Queer Eye by my side then any random group of guys from the Italian or French super leagues.

RyZ slow-sport flow chart of enjoyment
golf > baseball > soccer > curling > NASCAR

Thunderball
07-23-2007, 10:20 AM
Soccer and baseball are in the same group as curling and golf when it comes to slowness. They can all be absolutely brutal to watch at times if you are not in the mood. The thing that gets me (and probably most red-blooded males) about soccer is the rampant puss-ism. After watching hockey and football (american) all year, I get embarrased for men everywhere when I watch soccer. I'd rather walk into a fight with the guys from Queer Eye by my side then any random group of guys from the Italian or French super leagues.

not much > baseball > soccer

You very clearly have never played competitive soccer at any level... especially when saying guys essentially playing on concrete with no padding for 90 mins are pussies compared to guys who play in 30-40 lbs of padding and get breaks every minute or so. Soccer takes a massive toll on the body, most of those high speed collisions and tackles would take any "red blooded male" out for a good while, and if you don't believe me, ask a doctor or physiotherapist. (Of course, there are a lot of divers and that is shameful, but tell me with a straight face that it never happens in hockey.. to me there's nothing more shameful than a guy wearing a visor collapsing to the ice grabbing his face when a stick grazes them, or fails to connect at all).

ricoFlame
07-23-2007, 10:26 AM
You very clearly have never played competitive soccer at any level... especially when saying guys essentially playing on concrete with no padding for 90 mins are pussies compared to guys who play in 30-40 lbs of padding and get breaks every minute or so. Soccer takes a massive toll on the body, most of those high speed collisions and tackles would take any "red blooded male" out for a good while, and if you don't believe me, ask a doctor or physiotherapist. (Of course, there are a lot of divers and that is shameful, but tell me with a straight face that it never happens in hockey.. to me there's nothing more shameful than a guy wearing a visor collapsing to the ice grabbing his face when a stick grazes them, or fails to connect at all).

playing a sport and watching it are very different. of course one can acknowledge the physical demand of a sport, but that doesn't make it more or less boring for said person to watch. the fact is that some people need non-stop action, pain, aggression, and/or shiny objects to keep them entertained.

Thunderball
07-23-2007, 10:30 AM
playing a sport and watching it are very different. of course one can acknowledge the physical demand of a sport, but that doesn't make it more or less boring for said person to watch. the fact is that some people need non-stop action, pain, aggression, and/or shiny objects to keep them entertained.

I can understand if someone just doesn't find it interesting, fair enough... Baseball and Basketball enthralls some people, and puts others to sleep. I just take exception to people thinking these guys are pussies. Diving is pretty much a universal concept in sports, and its always due to inadequate regulation on and off the field of play.

GirlySports
07-23-2007, 11:42 AM
I can understand if someone just doesn't find it interesting, fair enough... Baseball and Basketball enthralls some people, and puts others to sleep. I just take exception to people thinking these guys are pussies. Diving is pretty much a universal concept in sports, and its always due to inadequate regulation on and off the field of play.

Baseball is the one team sport where a player can't dive to gain an advantage because there are no fouls called. So there's no pointing trying to con the ref. If you get hit by a pitch and scream in pain and fall down holding your face when the ball hit you in the ass... the result doesn't change. It's first base only. The only cheating in baseball is the catcher moving his glove around to bring balls into the strike zone. But umps don't even fall for that anymore.

In soccer, faking injury can lead to penalty shots, yellow cards and red cards, all can change the entire game.

In hockey, it can cause power plays. 2 or 5 minutes.

In basketball, flopping can lead to offensive fouls to important players who may foul out.

and on and on..

VANFLAMESFAN
07-23-2007, 11:56 AM
This is not even a conversation for me, soccer in a in heartbeat. Baseball is the epitome of a cure to insomnia.

Flames in 07
07-23-2007, 06:01 PM

On behalf of everyone in football:

Diving is not universal. It's pretty much for pussies.

Thunderball
07-23-2007, 11:39 PM
On behalf of everyone in football:

Diving is not universal. It's pretty much for pussies.

I guess hockey is for pussies then since pretty much every player in the NHL has taken a dive more than once.

Flames in 07
07-24-2007, 07:00 AM
I guess hockey is for pussies then since pretty much every player in the NHL has taken a dive more than once.

Well I referenced football. You said pretty much all sports has diving. Football doesn't. But yea, I have less respect for hockey players now that they dive so much.

But it's not an absolute, more of a gradual continum. Soccer players spend all day flopping around like fish so soccer players rule the kingdom there.

Like I've said before it seems the entire game is about faking fouls and injuries, it's hard to repect the players as athletes when it seems that the object of the game, ie the way to get the only goal in the game during any given game is to flop in the crease, giving your team a penalty kick.

BTW can that dot be any closer to the net? It's like a for sure goal every time.

RyZ
07-24-2007, 08:03 AM
No, I haven't played competitive soccer. Why would I invest years of practice, honing my skills for something that I don't like?

And don't try to compare the "toughness" of hockey and american football players to soccer players. That's an absolute laugh. You are not going to get much support for that idea on this side of the Atlantic.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=aaemZ_wkMNA

http://youtube.com/watch?v=m3qpE8WZMt8&mode=related&search=

http://youtube.com/watch?v=jxvNxsJzyxI

Can you watch that as a soccer fan and not weep inside? You know what, it's not even the diving so much as the guy laying on the feild for 5 minutes after the brushing of elbows, rolling around like Clint Malarchuk after he took a skate to the throat. Embarassing. And worse yet, acceptable and encouraged in the soccer "football" community.

That crap happens countless times in every single game. Did you see the Chile vs Argentina game in the Semi's of the U-20's? You gonna defend that and tell me those guys are as "tough" as the Canadian World Juniors? I'd love see those guys have to go up against (just guys from recent WJC's) Dion Phaneuf, Shae Weber, Jack Johnson, Eric Johnson, etc. Yeah, I guess hockey players are pussies compared to those hardened Argentinians, my bad.

Jagger
07-25-2007, 01:42 AM
That crap happens countless times in every single game.

Actually, no it doesn't. You don't see soccer players having a girly fight every game. That was just plain ridiculous. You also do not see the extent of diving as demonstated in the Italy-France WC game. Diving is a problem for sure, and I would never defend it, but your blanket statement is just plain ignorant.

GirlySports
07-25-2007, 08:25 AM
Actually, no it doesn't. You don't see soccer players having a girly fight every game. That was just plain ridiculous. You also do not see the extent of diving as demonstated in the Italy-France WC game. Diving is a problem for sure, and I would never defend it, but your blanket statement is just plain ignorant.

All depends on the ref. When you get refs at World Cup level that don't take that kind of nonsense you will not see players dive as seen in your Italy-France example.

At the U-20, the refs were inexperienced and egotistic so they were easily conned and called EVERYTHING. The U-20 is an irrelevant tournament on the soccer calendar and FIFA treats it as such with the worst officials.

Shawnski
07-31-2007, 11:46 PM
From my perspective, yes, soccer is the polar opposite of entertainment.

In baseball, each and every pitch has tactical deltas that must be addressed. The pitcher vs batter wars can be monumental. Worthy of a couple extra seconds of anticipation.

Definitely a thinking man's sport. It may be slower in gameplay between plays, but when they happen, it is lightning quick. And although it is a team game, individual play is vital. Only team sport I can think of to say "you screwed up!!!" by giving them an error.

In my perspective, soccer has gained world wide appreciation due to grass roots acceptance as it is a very inexpensive sport to play. Hockey, for example is on the extreme other end, being one of the most expensive sports to play... and where has that led in public acceptance?

And for anyone that has indicated that getting hit in soccer is so painful it results in "some" of the diving... please. Taking metal spikes in the shins when someone is trying to break up a double play at second will tell you otherwise. Or getting a line drive in the teeth as a pitcher. Been THERE way too many times myself. My front teeth are bondo on bondo....

I have been to Kicker games here ages ago as well as Cannon games in the same timeframe. To me there was no comparison then, and after watching the latest editions on TV in recent years, there is no comparison now.

Just googling that Kickers team, their last two year's records were 6-6-13 and 8-3-15. 14-9-28 record combined. 55% of games resulted in ties. Yikes. You paying for that? Ball games have a winner.

As I am still involved via slopitch... and a pitcher at that, I love the sport. It will probably kill me though. Damn near didn't deflect the line drive that was headed for my teeth Sunday night.

Baseball games are way more enjoyable to me.

mrdeeds
08-01-2007, 08:59 PM
I prefer soccer myself, but I like baseball as well. Baseball as a specator sport is very leisurely to say the least and is more a collection of individual plays than anything.

There is more athleticism in soccer, but the game as evolved to the point where the talent is watered down and systems (especially defense) tend to dominate. Individual creativity a la Ronaldinho and Ronaldo for the most part is few and far between. When the game is played at it's highest level, detrimental things such as diving seems to be rampant.

Yes, there is excessive diving in soccer and this really needs to be clamped down upon if the game is to every take hold in North America. The WC as well as the FIFA U-20 WC was embarrassing more often than not.

Delthefunky
08-01-2007, 09:23 PM
1a) Hockey
1aa) Soccer
76) Baseball