PDA

View Full Version : Guitar Set-ups and Repairs

Redline
07-04-2007, 05:15 PM
Hey,

Redline Guitars may be of interest to any of you noodlers, twangers, giggers or shredders. I offer set-ups, repairs, maintenance of alomst any kind (anything relating to paint finish is beyond my reach at the moment) on Guitars, basses, electric, acoustic, etc. I think KG may have passed my info on o some of you already.

Spend most of my time doing set-ups. My prices are lower than average guitar shops and I spend a minimum 2 hours (usually more) on each set-up to get the best possible result. I do this mostly for my own ennjoyment and the results always show.

A standard set-up invlolves includes

Truss rod adjustment
action set
intonation set
inspection and cleaning of all mechanical parts (tuners, saddles, floating bridge, etc)
resurfacing and oiling of fretboard
polishing frets
new strings

Think of it as a day at the spa for your axe.
CPers get the strings for free. Standard set-up is $50

I also have some amps for sale as well. Guess I'll wonder over to the buy and sell.

Happy Jammin

paul@redline (paul@redlineguitars.com)guitars.com
(403) 973-9155

Seabass
07-05-2007, 11:31 AM
How much for a 12 string? I have one that could use some pampering.

Redline
07-06-2007, 07:47 AM
12 String $70. I have a twelve myself. Wouldn't trade it for anything.

Engine09
07-06-2007, 10:13 AM
Were are you located?

I have a 12 string Simon & Patrick acoustic, intonation is out of whack.

Nufy
07-06-2007, 10:35 AM
973 number...

I'm thinking Airdrie or Okotoks.....

Washburn D10 Acoustic 6 string.....How much for strings and set-up..

Additionally how much to wire a pickup in the body ??

Redline
07-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Hey Guys, wow thanks for the repsonses.

First off the 973# is my cell #. I'm in Deer Ridge, southeast Calgary. Don't really want to post my full address as this is a small business run out of my house. If someone decides they want work done then , of course I'll pass my address on and we'll arrange a time.

For the 6-string acoustic it's the standard $50 for set-up, strings are a CP throw in. For the pick-up I'll have to get back to you, Nufy if that's OK. I'm at work right now and will need to have a look at some price lists at home.

Pick-ups into an electric are $50 per. that's labor only. Most people prefer to supply the pick-ups themselves (always great deals on Ebay). I'm happy to supply the parts as well, of course. Let me know what you're looking for and I can give you a quote.

Thanks CP

Nufy
07-06-2007, 12:06 PM
Cool, I'm in Deer Ridge as well.

Is there an extra neighbors discount as well ?? LOL

Let me know....

Redline
07-06-2007, 01:49 PM
Cool, I'm in Deer Ridge as well.

Is there an extra neighbors discount as well ?? LOL

Let me know....

No but I might be able to do a free pick-up and delivery, just for you. lol

Redline
07-06-2007, 04:28 PM
Hey Guys, wow thanks for the repsonses.

First off the 973# is my cell #. I'm in Deer Ridge, southeast Calgary. Don't really want to post my full address as this is a small business run out of my house. If someone decides they want work done then , of course I'll pass my address on and we'll arrange a time.

For the 6-string acoustic it's the standard $50 for set-up, strings are a CP throw in. For the pick-up I'll have to get back to you, Nufy if that's OK. I'm at work right now and will need to have a look at some price lists at home.

Pick-ups into an electric are $50 per. that's labor only. Most people prefer to supply the pick-ups themselves (always great deals on Ebay). I'm happy to supply the parts as well, of course. Let me know what you're looking for and I can give you a quote.

Thanks CP

If you're thinking of the Fishman style under saddle pick-up with the jack/strap hitch I can install that for $65. Same rules as above apply for the parts. If you're looking at a different style, feel free to contact me and let me know what you're considering and I'll give you a price.

Thanks

Paul

Nufy
10-30-2007, 04:24 PM
pm sent.

Burninator
11-07-2007, 03:15 PM
You got a PM.

Nufy
11-07-2007, 04:44 PM
973 number...

I'm thinking Airdrie or Okotoks.....

Washburn D10 Acoustic 6 string.....How much for strings and set-up..

Additionally how much to wire a pickup in the body ??

he's currently working on mine....

I'll post up with a review when I get it back.:ph34r:

Nufy
11-09-2007, 09:29 AM
he's currently working on mine....

I'll post up with a review when I get it back.:ph34r:

I picked it up yesterday during the 2nd intermission of the game.

Nice and clean and sounds great. I love the sound of new strings.

I owe ya a couple of beers to make up for the difference there Paul.

Cheers.:beer:

Redline
11-09-2007, 09:58 AM
I picked it up yesterday during the 2nd intermission of the game.

Nice and clean and sounds great. I love the sound of new strings.

I owe ya a couple of beers to make up for the difference there Paul.

Cheers.:beer:
I think picking your guitar up turned things around for the Flames. If only I'd been home for the first intermission.

Make sure and let me know if anything needs tweaking. I'm always willing to make readjustments if it's not quite right.

We'll take in a game down at Filo's some time.

wookster
12-28-2007, 03:01 PM
Just noticed this.....sending a PM.

Hack&Lube
12-28-2007, 04:17 PM
Sounds cool, too bad you don't do anything work like fret scalloping :)

Redline
01-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Sounds cool, too bad you don't do anything work like fret scalloping :)

That's beyond me for sure. I could suggest some places to try if you're serious though.

foofighter15
01-02-2008, 09:39 AM
Can you fixed a warped fretboard? The guy I bought this one off of over tightened it and stripped the truss rod

Redline
01-02-2008, 11:26 AM
Can you fixed a warped fretboard? The guy I bought this one off of over tightened it and stripped the truss rod

Is the neck bolt-on? I would tend to think replacing the neck would be quicker/cheaper than fixing a stripped truss rod and warped fretboard in the end. Plus, you could choose your own dimensions on the neck you put on.

Rhetts_the_Best
01-05-2008, 03:57 AM
how much would it cost for a polishing of the frets, under the strings all over?
I have an ibanez JEM so it would be quite a job.

Quote:
Is the neck bolt-on? I would tend to think replacing the neck would be quicker/cheaper than fixing a stripped truss rod and warped fretboard in the end. Plus, you could choose your own dimensions on the neck you put on.

Scallop the frets, gives you a more precise sound, easier to handle the strings great for arpeggios and 16th note legatos

foofighter15
01-06-2008, 08:39 PM

wow. shoulda thought of that myself. good call

Hack&Lube
01-06-2008, 09:43 PM
I have a question about simple guitar repairs. Where can I find an allen key the right size for adjusting the saddle height on a Strat? Also, my pickguard seems to "bump up" right where the bridge is (it's not flushed, it's warped up quite a bit), it looks like there might have been two drops of glue underneath keeping it down before from the factory that have broken or dried. Is this normal? I thought the screws should be holding the pickguard down flat.

Hack&Lube
01-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Scallop the frets, gives you a more precise sound, easier to handle the strings great for arpeggios and 16th note legatos

I'd like to try a scalloped neck myself. Wish I could find one so I could just put my fingers on to see how it feels.

Rhetts_the_Best
01-07-2008, 01:23 AM
I'd like to try a scalloped neck myself. Wish I could find one so I could just put my fingers on to see how it feels.

If you go to a guitar store ask if they have YJM signature strat, ygwie malmsteens signature guitar would have scalloped frets.

Hack&Lube
01-07-2008, 01:27 AM
If you go to a guitar store ask if they have YJM signature strat, ygwie malmsteens signature guitar would have scalloped frets.

Yes I have tried, I've asked all the GuitarWorks and they have never been helpful, they just tell me "order one, it's $1800"

Redline
01-07-2008, 08:18 AM
how much would it cost for a polishing of the frets, under the strings all over?
I have an ibanez JEM so it would be quite a job.

Quote:

I polish all the frets every time I do a set-up. Next time you need a set-up or a string change, bring it to me for a set up. You'll get it back better than new.

Redline
01-07-2008, 08:22 AM
I have a question about simple guitar repairs. Where can I find an allen key the right size for adjusting the saddle height on a Strat? Also, my pickguard seems to "bump up" right where the bridge is (it's not flushed, it's warped up quite a bit), it looks like there might have been two drops of glue underneath keeping it down before from the factory that have broken or dried. Is this normal? I thought the screws should be holding the pickguard down flat.

Sounds like pickguard got a little warped and someone tried to do a quickfix. There should be screws holding it in place. Maybe the glue was holding a spot inbetween screws. I think you've got a few options there. You could try and glue it back, you could take the pickguard off and try to straighten it with a heat gun (careful. Might want to reomve the component first) or you could seek out a new pick guard.

The allen wrench sizes are found on any standard set. I can't remember off the top of my head what size the one you're talking about is. Try to get a set that's imperial and metric to cover all your basics.

Hack&Lube
01-11-2008, 04:47 AM
How much do you charge to change pickups or perhaps diagnose noise issues or electronics things? For the same guitar with the bumpy pickguard, I think it maybe because the previous owner switched the stock humbucker to a new bucker.

It seems to have lots of noise everywhere unless the selector is in position 2 (between neck and middle pickups) , also there's a wierd thing where the volume and tone controls don't really seem to do anything, there is no gradual increase in volume or tone as you turn them. It's all the same level until you hit one point and then there's an audible static pop and it goes silent or to the new tone. So basically the knobs are on-off only and not gradual.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1812/madaxebodyoe9.jpg

Redline
01-11-2008, 08:27 AM
How much do you charge to change pickups or perhaps diagnose noise issues or electronics things? For the same guitar with the bumpy pickguard, I think it maybe because the previous owner switched the stock humbucker to a new bucker.

It seems to have lots of noise everywhere unless the selector is in position 2 (between neck and middle pickups) , also there's a wierd thing where the volume and tone controls don't really seem to do anything, there is no gradual increase in volume or tone as you turn them. It's all the same level until you hit one point and then there's an audible static pop and it goes silent or to the new tone. So basically the knobs are on-off only and not gradual.

http://img442.imageshack.us/img442/1812/madaxebodyoe9.jpg
That sounds like the new humbucker was wired incorrectly. Wiring can be a nightmare and is basically impossible to estimate because I have no idea what's going on in there till I open it up. I'm an electronic tech though so as far as being capable of sorting wiring issues I'm confident I'd be as efficient as possible. I enjoy a good challenge also. Check PMs.