PDA

View Full Version : Report: Henry to Barcelona

Winsor_Pilates
06-22-2007, 04:26 PM
Sad if true, and it looks like it is.

http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/?ID=211552&hubname=soccer

We need some major signing now to offset this. I hate to say it, but I don't think Arsenal is looking like a top 4 English team right now.

Why doesn't every good soccer player in the world just sign with Barce or Chelsea and get it over with.:mad:

Igottago
06-22-2007, 05:02 PM
Whatever...Arsenal has always replaced the players who have left...and will do so again. No player is bigger than the team. Good riddance, he was not a good captain anyways, when push came to shove. We still have great depth and amazing youth..someone will fill the void.

Maserati
06-22-2007, 05:42 PM
damn..it still early yet in the transfer season

Saint Troy
06-23-2007, 07:01 AM
This will be a tough one to take off the field, but on the field Henry is a descending star. As gunner fans we saw it with Viera, Overmars, Petit, and now Henry, all guys who were moved just before the downswing. The main worry I have is Wenger's status, the Arsenal board should give him as much power as he wants, as he is Arsenal, especially going forward.

Addick
06-23-2007, 11:53 AM
This will be a tough one to take off the field, but on the field Henry is a descending star. As gunner fans we saw it with Viera, Overmars, Petit, and now Henry, all guys who were moved just before the downswing. The main worry I have is Wenger's status, the Arsenal board should give him as much power as he wants, as he is Arsenal, especially going forward.

Although I won't be happy to see Henry leave, and I'm not even a huge Gunners supporter, what you're saying is true. If Arsenal continues to do what they have done in the past, after his next birthday Henry would only be offered one year extensions. It may seem like a huge loss but considering the system in place at Arsenal it would be a smaller loss than the loss in value of selling Henry in a few years. Add to that, due to their league position this year his value to the team is higher than normal so they may be able to squeeze out a few extra dimes in his transfer fee.

Pagal4321
06-23-2007, 02:19 PM
Ugh, I moped around all of yesterday after reading this. Pretty much my favorite football player...but hopefully Arsenal continues on.

Thunderball
06-24-2007, 02:47 PM
Arsene Wenger is very bright, and has a keen eye for young talent.

This has happened before (Vieira) and was a net positive for the gunners and a net negative for my team, Juventus.

Arsenal will be fine.

ricoFlame
06-25-2007, 11:39 AM
passed his physical: http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/?ID=211846&hubname=

barca was going to add big names inorder to get back to the top of La Liga next year. Arsenal will definitely recover though, though it is tough to replace a deadly finisher like henry, he's one of the best in the world no doubt. these EPL guys more often than not seem to end up in spain.

Thunderball
06-25-2007, 01:21 PM
passed his physical: http://www.tsn.ca/soccer/news_story/?ID=211846&hubname=

barca was going to add big names inorder to get back to the top of La Liga next year. Arsenal will definitely recover though, though it is tough to replace a deadly finisher like henry, he's one of the best in the world no doubt. these EPL guys more often than not seem to end up in spain.

Its more of a psychological loss than an actual one. Henry is a striker in decline, just like his buddy Trezeguet is. Both teams would be well advised to cash in while they can. There's plenty of good young strikers out there, and if anyone can find them, its Wenger.

ricoFlame
06-25-2007, 01:39 PM
Its more of a psychological loss than an actual one. Henry is a striker in decline, just like his buddy Trezeguet is. Both teams would be well advised to cash in while they can. There's plenty of good young strikers out there, and if anyone can find them, its Wenger.

his ablilty to finish is second to none, put him in a situation where he is going to see the ball in the box, and goals will be the result.

Thunderball
06-25-2007, 01:55 PM
his ablilty to finish is second to none, put him in a situation where he is going to see the ball in the box, and goals will be the result.

True... but Henry isn't exactly the bulldozer he was before. Now, he and Trezeguet are the types of forwards you have to put the ball on the foot/head of for them to be effective. These players can be very effective, but teams with mean defenders know what these guys are all about and nullify them. Take Trez and Juventus in Serie B for example... Del Piero had 20 goals (versatile forward, not always a starter), Trezeguet had 15 (one-dimensional finisher, most starts, expected to be top goalscorer), Nedved had 11 (as a midfielder and playmaker). These weren't even elite defenders... they just knew how to shut Trez down.

Useful? Definitely... as valuable as they both were a couple years ago... not even close.

Winsor_Pilates
06-25-2007, 02:42 PM
True... but Henry isn't exactly the bulldozer he was before. Now, he and Trezeguet are the types of forwards you have to put the ball on the foot/head of for them to be effective.
Disagree.
Trezeguet isn't nearly the quality of player Henry is and they don't even play the same style.

Henry was the guy at Arsenal who created almost all of the offense. He was not just a finisher, but a playmaker and a set up guy as well. All of the offense at Arsenal came through Henry, not just to Henry. Henry can take the ball from a terrible position and create offense all on his own by beating defenders.

I agree with a poster who said he's on his way down and past his prime, but he still is a great player and difficult to replace.

As for Wenger, he is a legend and has never done Arsenal wrong before, however I think his time at the helm may be at an end. I'm not confident his style of managing and his talents have as much relevence for a big club in today's soccer world.

Building great young teams, doesn't matter much in soccer anymore, because someone like Barcelona will just buy them as soon as they're good anyway. Yes, it brings in money to the team, but Arsenal needs to start puttin that money into current stars and not just kids if they want to be a top club and not a great farm team.

Thunderball
06-25-2007, 02:50 PM
Disagree.
Trezeguet isn't nearly the quality of player Henry is and they don't even play the same style.

Henry was the guy at Arsenal who created almost all of the offense. He was not just a finisher, but a playmaker and a set up guy as well. All of the offense at Arsenal came through Henry, not just to Henry. Henry can take the ball from a terrible position and create offense all on his own by beating defenders.

I agree with a poster who said he's on his way down and past his prime, but he still is a great player and difficult to replace.

As for Wenger, he is a legend and has never done Arsenal wrong before, however I think his time at the helm may be at an end. I'm not confident his style of managing and his talents have as much relevence for a big club in today's soccer world.

Building great young teams, doesn't matter much in soccer anymore, because someone like Barcelona will just buy them as soon as they're good anyway. Yes, it brings in money to the team, but Arsenal needs to start puttin that money into current stars and not just kids if they want to be a top club and not a great farm team.

I think that was me that said he was in decline and still useful... but I noted he's not quite the bulldozer he was before. I meant to say he's starting to play more like Trezeguet, in which he waits for the play to come to him, rather than make the play happen. Not that he's a pure poacher. I think I got confusing comparing the downturns of the two strikers.

I agree that Henry is a higher class of striker than Trez, no question.

Thunderball
06-25-2007, 03:53 PM
Speaking of Trezeguet... looks like he's staying bianconero for another 4 years... hopefully some Serie A action rejuvenates him.

Maserati
06-26-2007, 09:03 PM
will be good to see Juve back in seria a.forza Juventus