PDA

View Full Version : Why are we not Number 1

Oxygen-Supply
11-04-2004, 03:48 PM
Goal tending has been good 3/5
Top Players Producing up to there potential 1/5
Young Guys stepping up 5/5
Defense ok, need to be more physical 3/5

What I have noticed is this team is very on and off. Getzlaf is not a hard work 50% of the time; maybe trade him to bring in a number one goalie and a strong D-man. This team would be unstoppable.

Shaun or Lee or Ladd should take over the Capitan C.
A leader on the ice does not have to be your number one player; it should be some one that sets an example.

JiriHrdina
11-04-2004, 04:05 PM
The #1 ranking at the beginning of the season (which was not even official I don't think) was out of line. This is a talented team, but not a #1 team.

I agree with your thoughts. Getzlaf needs to realize that in order to lead this team he needs to play 60 minutes. Right now he has games where he seems to think its OK to float for a while, have a couple good shifts where he pots a goal or two, and call it a night. Ladd does this too sometimes too. If the Hitmen are going to go anywhere this season these two guys need to play a much more consistent brand of hockey - both game to game, and within individual games themselves.

albertGQ
11-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Originally posted by JiriHrdina@Nov 4 2004, 04:05 PM
The #1 ranking at the beginning of the season (which was not even official I don't think) was out of line. This is a talented team, but not a #1 team.

Yeah, I believe the #1 ranking was only THN's ranking so it wasn't official

Maritime Q-Scout
11-04-2004, 04:55 PM
last year Cape Breton had the THN #1 ranking going into the season, and they didn't win a playoff series :rolleyes: THN is good to include junior hockey, but not great at following it. (mind you I haven't read it since the lockout started)

Resolute 14
11-04-2004, 06:01 PM
Discipline.

Even though Herman was a ######, we still let him call five third period penalties against us in the opener vs Red Deer. That gave Red Deer two free points, and cost us one.

Ladd took a stupid high sticking penalty against Medicine Hat that cost us one point, and may have given the Tigers one.

O'Malley cost us a point last night by picking a dumb time to handle a puck.

Those three games alone are the difference between third in the division, and at least a tie for first overall in the league.

Nevermind the litany of stupid penalties that this team takes nearly every game -right Ladd?

Goaltending has been shaky at times, but that was expected. Getzlaf is no captain, but has been a better leader this year than last. Ladd does not deserve the C either. He's on an even worse vacation from reality than Getzlaf was last year after getting drafted.

Schultz - My program says he is 6'7". He plays like he is 5'7".

Flickered Flame
11-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Discipline.

I believe the hitmen have the 5th highest pim total in the league thus far. If they would cut down on stupid penalties they would be higher then the rebels imo.

Schultz - My program says he is 6'7". He plays like he is 5'7".

I hear you on this one snake. Don't you feel this way of most of the d-men? We have such big kids back there but they don't play big at all, and I keep hearing that Kisio and Evason are working on the d-men to hit more and take the body more.

Jagger
11-04-2004, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by Snakeeye@Nov 4 2004, 06:01 PM
Discipline.

That's pretty much the story of the Hitmen the last few seasons imo. On countless occasions I've mentioned to fellow Rebels fans that the Hitmen would be a really good team if they could keep their discipline in check. They take numerous poorly timed needless penalties that directly cost them points in the standings. This has also carried over to the playoffs where the stakes are even higher.

Re: Getzlaf. I really don't see this guy as a captain. He's an outstanding player when he wants to be but he doesn't seem like a leader like Colin Fraser or Dion Phaneuf, for example. Of course, I'm a little biased on that score.

Flickered Flame quote "If they would cut down on stupid penalties they would be higher then the rebels imo."

Hey and if you can get referee, Vetter, to ref a few more Rebels-Hitmen tilts you could take that to the bank that they would be higher than Red Deer! (I know, I know, have to let that one go sooner or later!)