PDA

View Full Version : 2007 US Open Championship

ricoFlame
06-11-2007, 12:30 PM
Time for the second major of the year, and the US open will be staged at what looks to be a brutally difficult Oakmont Country Club in Philly.

There are four Canadians in the field: Jon Mills, Stephen Ames, Mike Weir, and Adam Speirs.

This will be the eighth open to be held at oakmont (1927, '35, '53, '62, '73, '83, and '94), and has produced great champions such as Tommy Armour, Ben Hogan, Jack Nicklaus, Johnny Miller, and Ernie Els.

Time to make our picks.

I'm going with my boy Retief Goosen.

troutman
06-11-2007, 12:44 PM
Tiger.

ricoFlame
06-11-2007, 04:25 PM
...oh yeah, i forgot to mention that oakmont is where miller shot his famous 63 in 1973, one of the great rounds in golf history.

Knut
06-11-2007, 04:32 PM
Ogilvy

GirlySports
06-11-2007, 04:44 PM
It looks brutal! Only 2 par 5s both over 600 yards. a 288 yard par 3 and 4 pars 4 over 485.

I'll take Goosen as well with O'Hair as my darkhorse.

ricoFlame
06-11-2007, 04:48 PM
a 288 yard par 3

that just doesn't equate with any golf that i have ever played...good lord that's tough...take your 4 and be happy!

Bench Warmer
06-11-2007, 04:52 PM
It looks brutal! Only 2 par 5s both over 600 yards. a 288 yard par 3 and 4 pars 4 over 485.

I'll take Goosen as well with O'Hair as my darkhorse.

288 yard par 3 - I can imagine playing it and saying to myself, well, let's get a good drive out there and get up and down for par...same for the 485 yard par 4s...

I'm going to eliminate Tiger from my guesses (cuz he'd be my first) and go with Adam Scott. As long as he can keep his final round together. O'Hair would be my dark horse as well - he's had some very good rounds this year. I followed him, Mikey and Kenny Perry at the Hogan this year - he hits a long ball.

HOOT
06-11-2007, 05:13 PM
Vigay...you watch he will come out of no where during Saturday and hold on for the Sunday victory ;)

kipperfan
06-11-2007, 05:18 PM
My heart says Ames, my head says Phil(although I do like Phil, just not as much as Stephen).

kipperfan
06-11-2007, 08:18 PM
There are four Canadians in the field: Jon Mills, Stephen Ames, Mike Weir, and Adam Speirs.

Dont forget about 16 year old Richard Lee(well to be fair I had never heard of him until 2 minutes ago). This kid not only qualified for the friggen US open at 16, he is turning pro next week! Maybe we have finally found Canada's anwser to Tiger...:eek:

Displaced Flames fan
06-11-2007, 09:15 PM
Long course.

That says Tiger or Vijay to me.

ricoFlame
06-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Dont forget about 16 year old Richard Lee(well to be fair I had never heard of him until 2 minutes ago). This kid not only qualified for the friggen US open at 16, he is turning pro next week! Maybe we have finally found Canada's anwser to Tiger...:eek:

yeah i forgot to include him because he now plays out of chandler arizona. i think that going pro for him is a huge mistake, remember ty tryon? who knows he could be great, time will tell.

Dion
06-11-2007, 10:02 PM
Lefty has a habit of choking in the last round.

Tiger has the mental toughness to outlast the field.

Vijay is a mystery to me right now. Haven't heard too much about him lately.

Sylvanfan
06-12-2007, 06:50 PM
Well golf continues to be a game thats pretty much eliminating guys who can't crush the ball 330 yards off the tee from championship play. If the course is this long Tiger and Phil look to be the two guys who'll be battling it out on Sunday. Although if Els is feeling good he might hang around since he's had success on this course before.

Knut
06-13-2007, 09:29 AM
Lefty has an inflammed wrist and isn't playing any practice rounds (as per sportsnet this morning)...

Saint Troy
06-13-2007, 09:38 AM
I'll take Adam Scott, hope Weir and Ames are around for the weekend.

Bobblehead
06-13-2007, 10:02 AM
Well golf continues to be a game thats pretty much eliminating guys who can't crush the ball 330 yards off the tee from championship play. If the course is this long Tiger and Phil look to be the two guys who'll be battling it out on Sunday. Although if Els is feeling good he might hang around since he's had success on this course before.

But with a US Open rough there is going to be a premium on hitting the fairways. I think guys will be hitting 3 woods and the driver won't see much use, even though the course is long. A long iron from the fairway to get a GIR may be better than a middle iron from the rough for a GIR.

The Goon
06-13-2007, 01:29 PM
I like Goosen, who shows up when the courses are tougher.

Mike Oxlong
06-13-2007, 01:38 PM
It's hard to not choose Tiger and I do think he is the favourite to win this week.....and pretty much every week.

If Phil was 100% I think I would take him but a wrist injury at the US open is not what you want. First time he tries to chop it out of the rough he may screw his wrist up even worse and have to withdraw. I guess it all depends on the severity of the injury but I imagine it is pretty bad if he isn't even hitting balls this week and just practicing his short game.

Goosen is a good choice. When he is on his short game is tough to beat. That is what US Opens come down to is getting up and down to save par.

Should be a pretty good tourney. That course looks wickedly hard. Vijay thinks 10 over is going to win, Tiger is predicitng 4 to 5 over.

I am a decent golfer and I would love to try to play that course just to see what I would shot. I bet a 5 handicap would have a really tough time breaking 90. Might even be higher. I heard Geoff Ogilvie shot an 85 in a practice round.

GirlySports
06-14-2007, 04:56 PM
The course is not particularily long , just some very very long holes and some really short tricky holes. For example the 17th is only a 315 yard par 4 with rough and bunkers protecting it. Imagine sunday and you're 2 shots back going to 17, you'll have to go for it!

Looks like Phil is out of it early.

ricoFlame
06-14-2007, 05:58 PM
The course is not particularily long , just some very very long holes and some really short tricky holes. For example the 17th is only a 315 yard par 4 with rough and bunkers protecting it. Imagine sunday and you're 2 shots back going to 17, you'll have to go for it!

it's the greeens that make this course so tough.

all things considered, i though phil did pretty well for himself.

moon
06-14-2007, 06:22 PM

He is only six shots out of the lead, on a course where over par seems to be a likely score everyday and the two guys on the top of the leader board aren't exactly world beaters, it would seem he is far from being out of it.

HOOT
06-14-2007, 09:16 PM
Phil is not out of it...but he has a lot of work to do. I would guess anyone behind the leader 5 or more shots going into Saturday may be in trouble (espeacially if Tiggggger is only 3 shots back like he currently is).

But I'm sticking with my original guess in this thread....Vijay winner by 2 shots

GirlySports
06-15-2007, 08:08 AM
Looks like I did speak too sooon, Phil is charging up the leaderboard now.

GirlySports
06-15-2007, 08:23 AM
nevermind, he just double bogeyed the 7th ... blah

Bobblehead
06-15-2007, 09:59 AM
The course seems to be really playing hard today. So far only one guy has a round under par (Paul Casey -3 after 13). 18 golfers are +7 or worse.

transplant99
06-15-2007, 11:17 AM
Phil finishes at +11.....quite possibly the cut line.

Juventus3
06-15-2007, 12:09 PM
The fairway and fringe around the greens are rolling more than most greens in this city. Unbelievable. I love seeing the pros struggle like this, it builds my confidence.

I want Tiger's yellow shirt.

troutman
06-15-2007, 12:43 PM
Tiger birdied 12, and is in position to birdy 13.

transplant99
06-15-2007, 12:49 PM
Nobody left at under par as of 2 48 PM....just a nasty course.

Juventus3
06-15-2007, 02:12 PM
Ames is quietly within 2...

transplant99
06-15-2007, 02:12 PM
nm

Mike Oxlong
06-15-2007, 02:14 PM

This course is REALLY long. It plays at almost 7300 yards and it is only a par 70. That is a LONG golf course. They do have a few shorter holes but 288 yard par 3's and 667 yard par 5's are long in my books.

Like someone else said as well, the greens are a real bitch here as well.

I can't remember where I saw/read it but Mario Lemieux is a member here and plays to a 0 handicap. Mind you it isn't always playing this tough but it is still one of the toughest courses in North America. He's got game!

AMES is making a charge. 2 under today and tied for second place. Let's go Ames!

Juventus3
06-15-2007, 02:53 PM
Tiger just showed the world how to save a hole from disaster. Best player in the world.

Mike Oxlong
06-15-2007, 02:56 PM
Ames just one shot off the lead alone in second now.

Sylvanfan
06-15-2007, 02:57 PM
Yeah, Ames had a very makable birdie putt on 9 that he missed. He's playing really well today in some tough conditions. Almost reminiscent of his final round when he blew out the field at the TPC. If he's on his game he's a good ball striker who has the attributes to play well in a U.S. Open.

ricoFlame
06-15-2007, 05:00 PM
weir is right in there at +5 also. could be a good weekend.

ricoFlame
06-15-2007, 06:07 PM
weir is right in there at +5 also. could be a good weekend.

well, he ended up at +6, but in the hunt along with everyone else who made the cut nonetheless.

philip1985
06-15-2007, 06:59 PM
Wow what a day, with no one under par this major is up for grabs. You have Tiger lurking and Ames one shot back, I hope one of them pulls through. This course is definitely tough, like Tiger said good shots are often rewarded but if you take a bad shot, it usually results in extra strokes. Looking forward to watching these guys play this weekend, should be a treat. I can't imagine if an ordinary joe played this course, imagine the score.

Sylvanfan
06-16-2007, 06:08 PM
Well an interesting day. Tiger was solid in his first 17 holes, just couldn't get any putts to drop but ends up -1 on the day moving to +4 and ends up 2 off the lead. Baddely makes a terrific recovery with his second shot on 17 manages to save par and birdies 18 to finish up at +2 when for a second there it looked like +4 would be the lead on Sunday. Steve Ames played okay, but a 73 still has him 3 shots back, but moves him into the second to last pairing of the day tommorrow. The key player is Baddely here, if he shoots 70 or 71 I don't think the field can catch him as 68 or 69 is a tremendous score. If he wilts a bit under pressure than it could keep a lot of guys in play. One thing about the U.S. Open you see just how much trouble these guys need to get into to make bogey or worse. There were some pretty remarkable par and bogey saves out there today. Situations where I rarely manage to salvage a double, these guys make par like it's nothing.

transplant99
06-16-2007, 06:12 PM
The key player is Baddely here, if he shoots 70 or 71 I don't think the field can catch him as 68 or 69 is a tremendous score

I would agree unless Tiger hits the ball like he did today....that was a thing of beauty. He easily could of been at 67-68 even with the bogey at 18.

KootenayFlamesFan
06-16-2007, 06:15 PM
Too bad Ames got a bogey on 18 today. That's a stroke he may need in a big way tomoorow. Either way, he's still in the thick of it. If he has a decent day he can make a run at it.

Time for my little rant:

Today was the first time I've watched most of one round of PGA golf for about a year, and what stopped me from watching golf before will probably stop me from watching too much of it in the near future: It's non-stop Tiger TV.

Yes, I do realize he's a fanstaic golfer, one of the very best ever. And yes, I do realize he's pulling in a big audience to the TV.

But they are going a little (or a lot) overboard at times. Today was a perfect example.........after showing every single shot of Tiger's round in a very tight leaderboard, he finally finishes up on 18. I'm thinking to myself " Finally......we can watch some of the other guys play."

But nope........instead of sticking to the remaining players, they go back to Tiger in the broadcast booth and proceed to show about 5 minutes of his hilights from the day. Forget showing the leaders that were still playing, they must start talking to Tiger again right away!

They show pretty much every shot he makes all day........I've come to accept that. But it's the live shots of him walking down the fairway or warming up on the tee that is boring me to tears.

It's stuff like today.......cutting away from live golf to talk to/about Tiger for 5 or 10 minutes that has really made me not like watching golf on TV at all anymore.

It's too much.

Sylvanfan
06-16-2007, 06:17 PM
I think those first few holes will be key. If Tiger steps up on number one and hammers another solid drive like that, maybe he can get Baddely a bit off his game. If Baddley is really battling through 5 holes and Tiger is hitting it solid than I think it will be tough on the young Aussie. But if he's playing well and can keep himself concerned with his own game he should be okay. But when you play with Tiger thats easier said than done.

moon
06-17-2007, 08:45 AM
Too bad Ames got a bogey on 18 today. That's a stroke he may need in a big way tomoorow. Either way, he's still in the thick of it. If he has a decent day he can make a run at it.

Time for my little rant:

Today was the first time I've watched most of one round of PGA golf for about a year, and what stopped me from watching golf before will probably stop me from watching too much of it in the near future: It's non-stop Tiger TV.

Yes, I do realize he's a fanstaic golfer, one of the very best ever. And yes, I do realize he's pulling in a big audience to the TV.

But they are going a little (or a lot) overboard at times. Today was a perfect example.........after showing every single shot of Tiger's round in a very tight leaderboard, he finally finishes up on 18. I'm thinking to myself " Finally......we can watch some of the other guys play."

But nope........instead of sticking to the remaining players, they go back to Tiger in the broadcast booth and proceed to show about 5 minutes of his hilights from the day. Forget showing the leaders that were still playing, they must start talking to Tiger again right away!

They show pretty much every shot he makes all day........I've come to accept that. But it's the live shots of him walking down the fairway or warming up on the tee that is boring me to tears.

It's stuff like today.......cutting away from live golf to talk to/about Tiger for 5 or 10 minutes that has really made me not like watching golf on TV at all anymore.

It's too much.

At least this time he is in contention. What I can't stand is when he is 5+ shots back and in around 15-20th place and they do the same thing.

I don't like when they do it when he is in contention but at least it has relevance, however when he isn't even amongst the leaders and it still is nonstop Tiger that really annoys me.

troutman
06-17-2007, 09:51 AM
I like the spotlight on Tiger. Best player ever - we are witness to greatness.

transplant99
06-17-2007, 10:46 AM

No he isn't...at least not at this point in his career.

No one can claim that until Nicklaus is no longer the major holder at 18.

18 majors and 19 second place finishes.

A record that Tiger can surpass at some point but certainly is no where near as of now.

That being said, I agree we are witnessing history with Tiger, as we did with Jack through his career.

Clever_Iggy
06-17-2007, 12:25 PM

I can count the number of times I watched golf on TV prior to 1997 on one hand. I didnt know the difference between a major and another tournament and the only golf course I could tell you the name of was Augusta. Then I watched Tiger win the US amateur title in 1995 or 96 and then him win the Masters in 1997. I can now count how many majors Ive missed since 1997 on one hand.

KootenayFlamesFan
06-17-2007, 12:41 PM
At least this time he is in contention. What I can't stand is when he is 5+ shots back and in around 15-20th place and they do the same thing.

I don't like when they do it when he is in contention but at least it has relevance, however when he isn't even amongst the leaders and it still is nonstop Tiger that really annoys me.

Yep, I agree. I can't remember what tourney it was a couple of years ago and Tiger was 10 strokes behind the leader and they still showed him all the time.

I can count the number of times I watched golf on TV prior to 1997 on one hand. I didnt know the difference between a major and another tournament and the only golf course I could tell you the name of was Augusta. Then I watched Tiger win the US amateur title in 1995 or 96 and then him win the Masters in 1997. I can now count how many majors Ive missed since 1997 on one hand.

I'm actually the opposite. The Tiger overload had made me stop watching golf almost altogether.

I want to see all golfers play, not just one.

Tiger is like the Maple Leafs of hockey (well, except he's good :) ).........I understand all the media attention and the fact he brings in more viewers than anyone else. It's just too much after awhile.

Clever_Iggy
06-17-2007, 12:53 PM
I'm actually the opposite. The Tiger overload had made me stop watching golf almost altogether.

I want to see all golfers play, not just one.

Tiger is like the Maple Leafs of hockey (well, except he's good :) ).........I understand all the media attention and the fact he brings in more viewers than anyone else. It's just too much after awhile.

Pre-Tiger, the amount of televised events were far less, but when the tournaments were televised, the broadcast followed the leader group pretty religiously. It's the same today, but just appears to be more Tiger-centered because (a) there are more telecasts and (b) Tiger is usually in the running. But, that being said, when Tiger is out of contention, the broadcast rightfully shifts away from him and to the leaders.

Even if Tiger is 10 shots back, I still like to watch him because he's just so much better than anyone else. It's like when Gretzky was on some poor LA Kings teams... you still wanted to watch because you knew you were witnessing the best ever.

Sylvanfan
06-17-2007, 02:01 PM
Ames tied with Stricker for the lead thus far and playing really solid. He's had a lot of looks at birdie so far. If he keeps this play up, I like his chances.

troutman
06-17-2007, 02:31 PM
No he isn't...at least not at this point in his career.

He is further ahead at this point in his career than Jack was - against greater competition. He WILL pass Jack's records for majors. He has been in the final pairing in the last 4 majors.

Sylvanfan
06-17-2007, 02:31 PM
Now Ames is toast LOL. That leaderboard is changing pretty quickly out there.

Sylvanfan
06-17-2007, 02:58 PM
Cabrera after a bad round yesterday is -2 on the day and alone on the leaderboard. They showed him smoking on hole number 9. I want him to win because who doesn't love an overweight smoking 37 year old Argentine!!! Go Angel!!

Clever_Iggy
06-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Cabrera looks like the Penguin from Batman.

Big toothed Ames has the wheels coming off... thank goodness.

The leaderboard is crazy.

Dion
06-17-2007, 03:03 PM
Angel getting the birdie on the 300 yard par 3 was unreal.

Meanwhile Striker and others a crumbling under the pressure.

Dion
06-17-2007, 03:06 PM
Poor Aaron Baddely! Triple bogey on the 1st hole and his woes continued on from there. Putts just missing the hole with his frustration level ready to break.

Tigers lurking in the hunt!

Clever_Iggy
06-17-2007, 03:47 PM
Did anyone just see Cabrera light up a smoke after teeing off on the 15th? Haha. Im starting to like this guy.

Dion
06-17-2007, 03:56 PM
Cabrera just made the shot of the tournament. Easy birdie putt for a 3 shot lead over Tiger!

Wow!

Angel is amazing!

Dion
06-17-2007, 04:16 PM
Ouch!

Tiger misses a very makeable birdie putt and ends up with a bogey to fall 3 shots back

Meanwhile Furyk birdied his last 3 to close within 1 of Cabrera.

Dion
06-17-2007, 04:34 PM
Could be an amazing finish!

Furyk and Cabrera tied with Tiger a shot behind!

Dion
06-17-2007, 04:42 PM
Cabrera finishes with a par and a + 5.

Tiger and Furyk 1 shot back.

Dion
06-17-2007, 04:54 PM
2 years in a row where Furyk's chances of a US Open are dashed on the 17th hole.

Tiger is the only one left with a chance to carch Cabrera.

Dion
06-17-2007, 04:56 PM
Furyk finishes the 18th with a par to finish one shot behind Cabrera.

The anguish on his face was hard to ignore.

KootenayFlamesFan
06-18-2007, 12:07 AM
But, that being said, when Tiger is out of contention, the broadcast rightfully shifts away from him and to the leaders.

I really couldn't disagree more.

If Stephen Ames or Steve Stricker or Mike Weir or Niclas Fasth or Bubba Watson were 5 or 6 strokes back they wouldn't show probably even one single shot of theirs, unless it was a hole-in-one or an eagle or some other unbelievable shot.

For Tiger? Yep............they would. No question.

I understand why they do it, though........I really do. I get it. It does make sense from a broadcast point of view. I'm not saying saying they are stupid or anything. They know where they are getting the viewers and advertising bucks from.

I'm just saying as a golf fan.......as one golf fan......it's totally turned me off from the PGA. I'm bored. It's too predictable. Show one golfer......then Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, another golfer, Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, another golfer, Tiger, another golfer, Tiger, another golfer Tiger, etc, etc, etc...........

I'm bored. I want to see the tourney.....the entire tourney. Not just how one guy is doing.

Way, way too much for me.

Sylvanfan
06-18-2007, 02:08 PM
http://www.theage.com.au/news/golf/cabrera-the-duck-a-beefy-hitter-who-aims-to-be-on-the-winnersmenu/2007/06/17/1182018935127.html

Pretty funny artical on Cabrera. It's his caddies job to make sure he doesn't run out of smokes LOL. I love it when a seemingly average guy like this takes out your prodigical athlete in a tourney like this. Not to say Cabrera isn't somewhat athletic, as hitting a golf ball like he does and to be able to putt and chip is far from easy. But just shows that no matter how well prepared you are someone else can have a week like this where they play well and things go their way and beat you.

I guess those who say golf isn't a sport can point to Cabrera and ask is this guy really an athlete?

Clever_Iggy
06-18-2007, 08:51 PM
I really couldn't disagree more.

If Stephen Ames or Steve Stricker or Mike Weir or Niclas Fasth or Bubba Watson were 5 or 6 strokes back they wouldn't show probably even one single shot of theirs, unless it was a hole-in-one or an eagle or some other unbelievable shot.

For Tiger? Yep............they would. No question.

I understand why they do it, though........I really do. I get it. It does make sense from a broadcast point of view. I'm not saying saying they are stupid or anything. They know where they are getting the viewers and advertising bucks from.

I'm just saying as a golf fan.......as one golf fan......it's totally turned me off from the PGA. I'm bored. It's too predictable. Show one golfer......then Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, another golfer, Tiger, Tiger, Tiger, another golfer, Tiger, another golfer, Tiger, another golfer Tiger, etc, etc, etc...........

I'm bored. I want to see the tourney.....the entire tourney. Not just how one guy is doing.

Way, way too much for me.

Fair enough. I usually turn it off when Tiger's out of contention. Everyone else is just so... average. When Tiger is 5 strokes back, they still show him consistently, but when he falls off the pace, they do switch to other golfers... which is when I switch to baseball. I could think of many different things Id rather watch than that Fat-a** Fudge Mickelson, or the boring likes of Els, Rose, etc...

But, maybe that makes me a new age fan that jumped on when Tiger started up... *shrug*