PDA

View Full Version : The Most Overrated/Underrated in Other Sports

Philly06Cup
06-07-2007, 02:02 AM
Continuing this popular topic into this forum.

NBA
Overrated:
Shaquille O'Neal.
He doesn't that much actual basketball skill. Really. He has no range; can't shoot free-throws; isn't at all quick or athletic. Yet, he is lauded as being a great basketball player. No, he isn't. If I was 7 feet, 320 pounds, I could back my rear into opposing players and dunk on them, too.
Underrated:
Tim Duncan.
The Score recently did a piece on him, and his underratedness. He is one of the all-time greats, but often overlooked because of his NHL-type demeanor.

(North American) Football
Overrated:
Wide Receivers, Kickers
Underrated:
Tight Ends, Offensive Linemen, Defensive Linemen, Punters, Special Teams, Linebackers, Corners, Safeties.

Baseball
Overrated:
Barry Bonds breaking Home-Run records. There's so much talk about asterisks, and legitimacy of his breaking a record. Does it really matter?
Underrated:
Ichiro breaking the single season hit record.

Tennis
Overrated:
Women's Tennis. All of it. In my honest judgment, I'd bet that the 100th ranked male could beat the 1st ranked female. Women's Tennis is of very low quality; weak[er] serves, less aggressive play, innumerably more unforced errors. With a few yearly exceptions, Nobody follows women's hockey, basketball, football, etc, because of their naturally lower quality. But, because young, sexy Russian ladies play tennis in skimpy skirts, it is followed and appreciated.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-07-2007, 06:39 AM
For Soccer

The discussion begins and ends with David Beckham.....for overrated obviously.

Underrated......Deco, maybe it's my Portuguese bias, but this guy gets no love and is always overlooked at Barca because of Ronaldinho, but this guy is so smart with the ball and has incomparable vision.

VANFLAMESFAN
06-07-2007, 06:45 AM
But, because young, sexy Russian ladies play tennis in skimpy skirts, it is followed and appreciated.

Good enough reason for me to watch. In all honesty though, I have no problem with womens tennis and I will watch Mauresmo(pretty sure she is a dude) vs Venus(pretty sure she is a dude as well), so it has nothing to do with the sexy outfits. If it were up to me, I couldn't care less if they were wearing snow suits. Sure, they don't have the same power as the males, but they can put on an entertaining match and the Sharapova-Schneider match this past weekend was one of the best matches I have seen in awhile. Sure, there were service breaks galore and I know that isnt great tennis, but I'm not a purist, I'm a casual tennis fan and that was exciting as hell.