PDA

View Full Version : Favorite Blue Jays Colour Guy?

ShaolinFlame
05-31-2007, 06:22 PM
So whats your favorite?
Rans Mulinisksksks (dont even ask me to try)?
Pat Tabbler?
or
The other guy?

Personally, i love tabby. I think his style of colour compliments Jamie's play by play the best, and the two seem to get along very well. When Ranz is around Jamie always seems a little more on edge. Ranz likes to talk over him?

Whos your favorite, and why?

CaramonLS
05-31-2007, 07:34 PM
Rance Mulliniks you mean, and Darren Fletcher is the other guy.

I personally find Rance to be the best, while Tabler is a pile of garbage. He babbles constantly while contributing nothing of substance to the actual broadcast. He avoids talking about his playing days like he is talking about the Bubonic plague or something. I also find he frequently talks down to the audience. Also, I hate his voice, it sounds like nails on a chalkboard.

Rance on the other hand, while quiet, provides thoughtful insight about the game and uses examples from his playing days. He isn't afraid to talk about them. I really enjoyed to hear him a few series ago talking about stratagy, setting up hitters, what to throw and when. That stuff I really enjoyed hearing about.

Fletcher I enjoy as well, he is a goof and sounds like he has a ton of fun in the booth.

rockstar
05-31-2007, 07:47 PM
Not crazy about Fletch. I like the other two, though.

And despite his vast improvement over the last two years, I still have not warmed up to Jamie Campbell. I do respect him, but I still think he says some weird things.

Flickered Flame
05-31-2007, 07:51 PM
Not a big fan of the Jays broadcast team.

JiriHrdina
05-31-2007, 09:05 PM
I think its remarkeably unfair to Jamie Campbell that they haven't given him a full time colour commentator. If they had a dedicated guy they would build up more chemistry, become more relaxed with each other and the overall product would improve tenfold.

I'm not a fan of any of the current lot - though if I had to pick I would take Tabler.

ben voyonsdonc
05-31-2007, 09:34 PM
CBC will be broadcasting a few games next year...Hughson will be back doing the play-by-play but I didn't hear who would be doing colour. Does anybody know who it will be? Any guesses?

It will be great to have Jim back doing baseball...reminds me of when I was really young watching him and Buck Martinez doing amazing work together. TSN did a good job replacing him with Dan Shulman but I always thought Hughson was awesome.

Bobblehead
05-31-2007, 09:41 PM
Buck Martinez

Julio
06-01-2007, 12:17 AM
Tony Kubeck

alan21
06-01-2007, 12:46 AM
Gotta be Buck Martinez...

Cerebral
06-01-2007, 01:06 AM
I must be the only guy who actually likes Darren Fletcher, I find he provides some insightful comments and he's pretty funny at times.

I love listening to Rance Mulliniks with Jamie Campbell though simply because there is at least one guaranteed awkward silence moment per game.

ShaolinFlame
06-01-2007, 11:57 AM
Baseballs hughsonisms? HILARIOUS

I hate Jim so much i dont know why. Maybe its all the dumb crap he says.
I can still remember from last year my two favorites:

In a 5-2 game that just turned 5-3 - "Methinks this game is far from over"
(It was over)

And my favorite, when Foppa had the puck behind the net- "That Peter Foresberg is so strong. Hes so strong he could just skate right through the net and leave the puck inside"

That is gonna be a great baseball game.
EDIT: didnt know Jim used to do that. I wish i used to watch more ball when i was a kid, i jsut started to understand and enjoy ball when my er uh sesh basement owner decided it was all him and his bro were gonna watch (albeit its BOSOX/ CUBS (HAHAHA)), 3 years strong and ill be watchin jays till im dead. But i do have some deep down memory of touch em all Joe, every time i hear it on the playoff commercial it makes me smile inside.
Oh yeah and Rance/Campbell awkward silence is dope.

SportsJunky
06-01-2007, 11:59 AM
Tony Kubeck
Without a doubt, for me, he was the best.

Mcammond37
06-01-2007, 01:34 PM
All time was Buck Martinez, when he and Dan Schulman (sp) were together on TSN. I thought John Cerutti was great as well. Today Tabby is the best. Jamie Campbell is brutal at calling the game.

ricoFlame
06-01-2007, 06:39 PM
they're all homers - which i like in a baseball guy, and if i had to choose, i'd say tabs i guess. but none are outstanding.

CaramonLS
06-01-2007, 06:42 PM
they're all homers - which i like in a baseball guy, and if i had to choose, i'd say tabs i guess. but none are outstanding.

I almost choked when Tabler said Vazquez has been one of the most consistant pitchers in baseball over the last 7 years.

I guess going from an Ace in MTL -> a disaster in NY -> a liability in AZ -> servicable starter in Chicago qualifies as consistant now?

RedHot25
06-01-2007, 09:09 PM
I guess going from an Ace in MTL -> a disaster in NY -> a liability in AZ -> servicable starter in Chicago qualifies as consistant now?

Yah, I have never really understood the fascination with Vasquez. He wasn't even an "ace" in Montreal was he? I don't know, he's one of those guys that everyone in baseball seems to love and want, but I really don't see it. Not at all.

CaramonLS
06-02-2007, 10:17 AM
Yah, I have never really understood the fascination with Vasquez. He wasn't even an "ace" in Montreal was he? I don't know, he's one of those guys that everyone in baseball seems to love and want, but I really don't see it. Not at all.

2001, 2002, 2003 he pitched something like 685 total innings, and had ERAs of 3.42, 3.91, and 3.24 (ERA+ of 154!), his K/BB ratios, K/IP and WHIP were steller. His stuff is also great.

So yeah, the numbers and everything made him look really good. His only real problem is he pitches up in the zone a lot and gets taken out of the yard, and that has been the problem especially the last couple of years.

He isn't as bad as say Eric Milton, but he gives up a ton of homers, and that just hasn't been able to make him suceed in the AL.

But yeah, his numbers and all those other factors made some teams just drool over him, and I'd say during those 3 years he was considered an ace. If he could ever learn to keep the ball down more and not take as many risks, he could probably do it again.

FYI this is also why people obsess on BJ Fansites about Dave Bush. Very similar in the type of problems he faces. I've never been a true believer, but he will always have callers because of those peripherals.

browna
06-02-2007, 11:14 AM
Without a doubt, for me, he was the best.

This is going way back..I mean way back, and I can't believe I remember it, but I remember watching baseball as a kid, so Tony Kubeck was all I knew for the Jays.

The part I can't belive I remember, being only 9, was that he did color for I think NBC in the 1985 ALCS..and at some point used the phrase "we''re in Toronto, Canada", and I remember my dad cursing, and me also wondering why a guy who did Blue Jays games sounded so completely detached from Toronto, almost like he disowner.

Obviously it was because he had to pander to those people inthe US who may have thought Toronto was in Venezuela, but from that point on, it always bugged me about him.

Hands down worst has to be Fergie Oliver. Again as a kid, I rememeber he wasn't even a color guy (sometimes, if they were short he was, or even announcer) rather the roaming reporter that sounded more like the social coordiantor of what was going on at Exhibition Stadium/Skydome then contributing anything else.

howard_the_duck
06-02-2007, 05:47 PM
I like Fletcher alot. He's a much better speaker than the other two and provides useful insight, whereas Tabler in particular provides the same old same each and every broadcast. Don't even get me started on Rance, I nearly fall asleep when he's doing colour.