PDA

View Full Version : Nash denied MVP 3 - Peat

Dion
05-11-2007, 03:29 PM
Dallas Mavericks forward Dirk Nowitzki has wrested the NBA's most valuable player trophy from Canadian Steve Nash, according to a report.
Nowitzki will receive the trophy at a news conference Tuesday in Dallas, ESPN reported. Nash finished second in the voting, the report stated, followed by Los Angeles Laker Kobe Bryant.

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/basketball/story/2007/05/11/nba-mvp.html

OILFAN #81
05-11-2007, 03:45 PM
I know alot of people aren't going to like the vote but i'm fine with Disco Dirk winning it. Dallas choked in the playoffs but the MVP is for the regular season only and he led Dallas to an amazing record. Nash put up career numbers as well so he could have won as well.

Clever_Iggy
05-11-2007, 07:31 PM
Dirk was fantastic - I think you could have flipped a coin between those two.

Down here in the US, there were some questions as to whether Nash's two consecutive MVP's made some voters go to Dirk. I think it shouldnt have any bearing on the way you vote, but I wouldnt be surprised....

alan21
05-11-2007, 07:37 PM
Too bad those 2 don't play together anymore. I was really disappointed when nash left the Mavs.

Sainters7
05-12-2007, 12:06 PM
Dirk was fantastic - I think you could have flipped a coin between those two.

Down here in the US, there were some questions as to whether Nash's two consecutive MVP's made some voters go to Dirk. I think it shouldnt have any bearing on the way you vote, but I wouldnt be surprised....

Yeah I had heard this as well. Not to say Dirk didnt deserve it, but from the sounds of it, Nash had no chance to win. I hear the main reason for this is that by Nash winning it a third consecutive time, it would put him in select company with Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, and Bill Russell. Even Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson never won three straight NBA MVP's. Alot of the basketball higher-ups and media feel Nash doesn't belong to be remembered with this category, and thus would not vote for him this year.

Clever_Iggy
05-12-2007, 12:21 PM
Yeah I had heard this as well. Not to say Dirk didnt deserve it, but from the sounds of it, Nash had no chance to win. I hear the main reason for this is that by Nash winning it a third consecutive time, it would put him in select company with Larry Bird, Wilt Chamberlain, and Bill Russell. Even Michael Jordan and Magic Johnson never won three straight NBA MVP's. Alot of the basketball higher-ups and media feel Nash doesn't belong to be remembered with this category, and thus would not vote for him this year.

Exactly... I heard that exact thing as well. The "higher-ups" are waiting for their chance to anoint LeBron as the next coming. God forbid a white player from Canada gets in that selective group with "the greats". Ugh.

Dion
05-12-2007, 12:58 PM

If that's true then it doesn't speak well for basketball in America. I really hate when poltics are involved in the voting process. Leave that garbage out of it and allow the best player to win. Dirk's a great player, but Nash should have been a 3 - peat winner.

Clever_Iggy
05-12-2007, 01:16 PM
If that's true then it doesn't speak well for basketball in America. I really hate when poltics are involved in the voting process. Leave that garbage out of it and allow the best player to win. Dirk's a great player, but Nash should have been a 3 - peat winner.

It exists in the NHL too - French writers favoring French players...

Dion
05-12-2007, 01:19 PM
It exists in the NHL too - French writers favoring French players...

It exists in all sports for that matter. Still sours me on the whole process though.

Clever_Iggy
05-12-2007, 01:29 PM
It exists in all sports for that matter. Still sours me on the whole process though.

Give it to the players... the Lester Pearson award carries more weight, with me, than the Hart because of how the winner is selected.

Dion
05-12-2007, 02:08 PM
Give it to the players... the Lester Pearson award carries more weight, with me, than the Hart because of how the winner is selected.

###! The players themselves are probably the best judge of who's the best.