PDA

View Full Version : For the 2nd time in 5 years, Cardinals pitcher killed

transplant99
04-29-2007, 09:42 AM
29 YO Josh Hanco*k killed in an auto accident early this morning in St Louis.

5 years ago Darryl Kile suffered a heart attack while on the road with the club in Chicago. The Cubs were also to be tonights opponent, the game has been cancelled of course.

As reported by ESPN.

Flickered Flame
04-29-2007, 10:02 AM
Wow, the Cards organization has no luck with real life at all.

RIP Josh.

ricoFlame
04-29-2007, 10:00 PM
horrible story. tough to deal with i can imagine.

habernac
05-04-2007, 12:34 PM
over twice the legal limit, and was talking on a cell phone at the time of the accident.

http://slam.canoe.ca/Slam/Baseball/MLB/2007/05/04/4154140-ap.html

Sylvanfan
05-04-2007, 12:42 PM
For the money that professional athletes make it still baffles me that they won't take a cab, or in many cases take advantage of a driving service the team has hired for them. In the end Hanc0ck did this to himself, and judging by other things that occurred in his career he wasn't exactly an astute descision maker. Sad tale to be sure, but this is the type of thing thats 100% avoidable.

habernac
05-04-2007, 12:49 PM
that drives me nuts, too, Sylvan. Hire a frigging chauffeur. Just make sure he's not the guy who worked for the Red Wings a few years back.

Resolute 14
05-04-2007, 03:51 PM
Just because you are rich doesnt mean you are above the same delusions regular people have. "I can still drive. I'm fine!"

Clever_Iggy
05-04-2007, 04:13 PM
Terribly sad. Hopefully this wont be the lasting memory of Hanco*k.

To find a silver-lining, at least no one else was injured.

Pagal4321
05-04-2007, 04:29 PM
It just blows my mind that these guys don't have DRIVERS hired for their cars.
If I had so much disposable cash lying around I'd be more than happy to ride around in a limo while being faced....
I just can't beleive agents don't tell their clients to do such simple little things....since, in reality, the althete is the client's source of income.

RedHot25
05-04-2007, 04:44 PM
It just blows my mind that these guys don't have DRIVERS hired for their cars..

Its quite sad, but unfortunately I think Snakeeye hit the nail on the head below with his post....

Just because you are rich doesnt mean you are above the same delusions regular people have. "I can still drive. I'm fine!"

Pagal4321
05-04-2007, 05:33 PM
Its quite sad, but unfortunately I think Snakeeye hit the nail on the head below with his post....

But I'm a normal person...at least I'd like to think so. And if I was getting paid hundreds of thousands of dolars a year, I'd cruise around in a limo all the time. Why drive and deal with traffic when you don't have to?

Hemi-Cuda
05-04-2007, 08:30 PM
well after hearing that he was drunk, i'm very glad he took himself out before being able to take anyone with him. there is no excuse for drunk driving, and it's sad that the stories of only the driver himself being killed seem to be in the minority

I_H8_Crawford
05-05-2007, 09:26 AM
well after hearing that he was drunk, i'm very glad he took himself out before being able to take anyone with him. there is no excuse for drunk driving, and it's sad that the stories of only the driver himself being killed seem to be in the minority
I agree.
Better him dead than some innocent family that his drunk ass could have killed.
I don't feel bad anymore - he did this to himself.
It's really too bad this doesn't happen more often - drunk drivers killing themselves with no victims involved.

Saint Troy
05-24-2007, 03:16 PM
Just read on espn,com that Han's family has filed suit against the restaurant for overserving, the guy who's car stalled and the tow truck driver who the very drunk and high Han plowed into. unreal.

RedHot25
05-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Just read on espn,com that Han's family has filed suit against the restaurant for overserving, the guy who's car stalled and the tow truck driver who the very drunk and high Han plowed into. unreal.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2881602

"It's understood that for the entire 3½ hours that Josh Han was there that he was handed drinks," Keith Kantack, a lawyer for Dean Han, said. "It's our understanding that from the moment Josh Han entered Mike Shannon's that night that he was never without a drink."

The lawsuit claimed Tolar was negligent in allowing his vehicle to reach the point where it stalled on the highway, and for failing to move it out of the way of oncoming traffic. A police report said the car became stalled when it spun out after being cut off by another vehicle.

Police said Hargrove noticed the stalled vehicle and stopped to help. The report said he told officers he was there five to seven minutes before his truck was hit by Han's SUV. But Kantack said the tow truck may have been there up to 15 minutes, yet failed to get the stalled vehicle out of the way.

"Were the police contacted?" Kantack asked. "Why weren't flares put out? Why was the tow truck there for an exorbitant amount of time?"

Table 5
05-24-2007, 04:58 PM
^^ and who says lawyers aren't blood-sucking parasites....

Clever_Iggy
05-24-2007, 10:39 PM
^^ and who says lawyers aren't blood-sucking parasites....

Maybe his parents are the blood sucking parasites who want to place the blame on someone else because they cant live with the fact that their son was an idiot.

Lawyers cant bring the suit by themselves - the family has to be looking to blame someone else.

Stupid comment.

Table 5
05-25-2007, 08:20 AM
Lawyers cant bring the suit by themselves - the family has to be looking to blame someone else.

oh please, thats the biggest load of bs. Have you seen advertising here in the US from these guys? Go on any new york subway and you will see two things...ads for schools, and ads for bloodsucking lawayers calling out for people to sue sue sue.

I take pride in my job and I'd like to think Im doing a service to the general good, even if in a small way. Lawyers are somehow exempt from taking pride in what they do?

The family is definitely to blame, but taking on the services of somebody like this doesnt leave the lawyer innocent either. Accountability is relevant here too.

fredr123
05-25-2007, 09:37 AM
They're talking about this right now on the Fan with Jenna and that New Guy. Lot's "expert" lawyers calling in to comment on the situation. Troutman should call in and set them straight ;)

Clever_Iggy
05-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Are you part of the legal profession in the US?

oh please, thats the biggest load of bs. Have you seen advertising here in the US from these guys? Go on any new york subway and you will see two things...ads for schools, and ads for bloodsucking lawayers calling out for people to sue sue sue.

I take pride in my job and I'd like to think Im doing a service to the general good, even if in a small way. Lawyers are somehow exempt from taking pride in what they do?

The family is definitely to blame, but taking on the services of somebody like this doesnt leave the lawyer innocent either. Accountability is relevant here too.

Table 5
05-25-2007, 11:02 PM
Are you part of the legal profession in the US?

no, i have integrity.

Clever_Iggy
05-25-2007, 11:07 PM
no, i have integrity.

:rolleyes: youre right - wide sweeping generalizations is a sure sign of integrity.

Table 5
05-25-2007, 11:08 PM
so i assume youre part of the legal community? you seem to have all the answers. please tell us why lawyers deserve so much respect?

Clever_Iggy
05-25-2007, 11:11 PM
so i assume youre part of the legal community? you seem to have all the answers.

Actually I am - Im Canadian but I live and work in the US. I dont know what you mean by me "having all the answers" but I do think that your view of the legal profession is short sighted.

Table 5
05-26-2007, 06:19 AM
What can I say, I have no respect for your profession. In my experience, 90% of you have a negative impact on society. But of course, that's just my opinion.