PDA

View Full Version : Stamps sign 3 ex-NFLers

Bobblehead
04-26-2007, 02:18 PM
Including Alkili Smith. link (http://www.sportsnet.ca/football/nfl/article.jsp?content=20070426_151930_5584)

The Calgary Stampeders quarterback Akili Smith, defensive lineman Alonzo Jackson and linebacker Matt Grootegoed who all spent time in the NFL.

JiriHrdina
04-26-2007, 02:21 PM
Smith obviously I know but any insight into these other dudes?

Bobblehead
04-26-2007, 02:28 PM
Alonzo Jackson (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395989/gamelogs/2005)

Matt Grootegoed (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/411841)

Doesn't look like either played last year. Neither was ever a starter. Grootegoed looks like he was only ever in 3 games. Jackson played 3 years, and in his final year (with the Giants) he started his final game and got 4 tackles.

Thunderball
04-26-2007, 02:39 PM
Interesting... is Smith here to push Hank Burris, or to replace him?

rubecube
04-26-2007, 02:43 PM

Probably neither. He's not very good.

rubecube
04-26-2007, 02:45 PM
Alonzo Jackson (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/395989/gamelogs/2005)

Matt Grootegoed (http://www.nfl.com/players/playerpage/411841)

Doesn't look like either played last year. Neither was ever a starter. Grootegoed looks like he was only ever in 3 games. Jackson played 3 years, and in his final year (with the Giants) he started his final game and got 4 tackles.

Not surprised to see Grootegoed up here. Just doesn't have the size to be an NFL LB.

Bobblehead
04-26-2007, 02:45 PM

I was wondering that, and maybe it isn't one or the other.

Push Burris and if he cracks you have Smith to sub in.

Should be interesting.

Bobblehead
04-26-2007, 02:46 PM
Not surprised to see Grootegoed up here. Just doesn't have the size to be an NFL LB.

Was he in arena league or europe for the last year? Any idea?

Thunderball
04-26-2007, 02:57 PM

I haven't actually seen him play, but since very rarely can a CFL QB cut it in the NFL, perhaps he's still good enough to be a solid CFL QB. Personally, I think anyone would be an upgrade on Henry "passes into triple coverage" Burris.

rubecube
04-26-2007, 03:14 PM
Was he in arena league or europe for the last year? Any idea?

Europe. I believe he was with Frankfurt but I could be wrong.

rubecube
04-26-2007, 03:15 PM
I haven't actually seen him play, but since very rarely can a CFL QB cut it in the NFL, perhaps he's still good enough to be a solid CFL QB. Personally, I think anyone would be an upgrade on Henry "passes into triple coverage" Burris.

He's basically the same QB. Good mobility but very poor at reading the coverage.

Flames in 07
04-26-2007, 04:50 PM

How do you know, CFL is a completely different game? Did you watch him in college?

rubecube
04-26-2007, 05:20 PM
How do you know, CFL is a completely different game? Did you watch him in college?

Because we're not talking about raw ability, we're talking smarts. College is a completely different game from both the CFL and NFL. If you throw a lot of interceptions in the NFL it's usually not because you have a bad arm, it's because you have a bad brain. Unless he's gotten smarter in the 5 years he's been out of football, I really don't see him boosting the club that much.

Flames in 07
04-26-2007, 05:28 PM
Don't need much of a brain in the CFL. The playbooks are comparable to college schemes ... both are grade 1 compared to the NFL.

For QB's the CFL looks alot like college. They only spend a small number of hours a day with playbooks, it is for only a fraction of the year and with the size of the field there is alot of room for error.

NFL is a year round, full time comittment, small holes to throw into, perfect timing required and tons of pressure.

rubecube
04-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Don't need much of a brain in the CFL. The playbooks are comparable to college schemes ... both are grade 1 compared to the NFL.

For QB's the CFL looks alot like college. They only spend a small number of hours a day with playbooks, it is for only a fraction of the year and with the size of the field there is alot of room for error.

NFL is a year round, full time comittment, small holes to throw into, perfect timing required and tons of pressure.

I'm not talking so much about his ability to digest a playbook as I am his ability to read a defensive scheme. Akili has never been very good at this and neither is Smilin' Hank.

Flames in 07
04-26-2007, 06:59 PM
But that's my point, schemes are simple here. in the CFL you run about 4 or 5 schemes. If I sit behind a bench at a CFL game and watch the signals I can figure out the whole gameplan by mid 2nd Quarter.

The CFL is extremely simple to digest, and the big field hides errors. I don't know how he'll pan out, but my point is that college is a much better proxy for the CFL than the NFL is.

rubecube
04-26-2007, 07:06 PM
But that's my point, schemes are simple here. in the CFL you run about 4 or 5 schemes. If I sit behind a bench at a CFL game and watch the signals I can figure out the whole gameplan by mid 2nd Quarter.

The CFL is extremely simple to digest, and the big field hides errors. I don't know how he'll pan out, but my point is that college is a much better proxy for the CFL than the NFL is.

Oh for sure. I'm just saying if a guy has a tendency to throw interceptions, that's not generally something that will just go away. Henry Burris is a prime example of that.

Flames in 07
04-26-2007, 07:30 PM
well I guess we'll see. Burris throws tons of dumb passes, but I think we gave him about the worst Offense to run as we could. Henry is the most gifted and athletic QB in the league ... but not so smart.

the Burrato offence required tons of reads and pushing the ball way down field. they need to give him more of a Edmonton type of offense create direction one way, both with the line and the back, and most of the time, pull the ball away from the back and roll the other way, give him a run/pass option (pass to only or a max of two recievers) and let him be athletic.

They spent tons of energy, especially in the first 1/3rd of the season getting him to hit WR's on the fly downfield. I hope the new OC will give him a simple playbook, probably the type of playbook that will work with Smith.

calgaryrocks
04-26-2007, 09:21 PM
not a good chance that he will do amazing, but a chance. they said on the radio today that out of the qbs(they said players or qbs, i dont remember) that have played in the nfl and tried to make it in the cfl, 10% made it, so get your hopes up that he is the next...uhh i cant think of any qbs that played in the nfl and proceeded to be a starter in the cfl

KTown
04-26-2007, 09:35 PM
Smith was such a huge bust, rated so high to come into the NFL. He's useless like 90% of the CFL players.

calgaryrocks
04-26-2007, 10:07 PM
yeah yeah we get it you dont like the cfl, why are you in this thread anyways?
(and yes, he was a bust)

Flames in 07
04-27-2007, 07:04 AM
not a good chance that he will do amazing, but a chance. they said on the radio today that out of the qbs(they said players or qbs, i dont remember) that have played in the nfl and tried to make it in the cfl, 10% made it, so get your hopes up that he is the next...uhh i cant think of any qbs that played in the nfl and proceeded to be a starter in the cfl

Calgaryrocks, meet Doug Flutie, Doug, Calgaryrocks.

flames_1987
04-27-2007, 10:02 AM
Smith was such a huge bust, rated so high to come into the NFL. He's useless like 90% of the CFL players.

Your CFL bashing is just getting annoying. You don't like the league, that's great, we can tell by your sig and your constant bashing. Get over yourself

Thunderball
04-27-2007, 12:09 PM
I love watching CFL, I have season tickets to the Stampeders, but if anyone thinks the CFL is anything but second (or third) tier, farm grade football, they are severely deluding themselves. There was a time when it was pretty close, but in the last 20 years, its more like comparing the NHL to the ECHL. I'd gladly dump the Stamps for NFL ball, even if we had to share the team with Edmonton and call them the Alberta Oil Tycoons (or something neutral and stereotypical like that). There is definitely charm to the CFL rules and system, and its not that bad. Football is football, and sadly, the CFL is the best we have available right now. So I'll support it.

I don't have high hopes on any of these ex-NFLers really panning out, since it seems like its hard for them to adapt to the CFL game as a general rule, but its worth a shot and the reward is high if they all do. Especially if Smith can be a better QB than Burris.

Clever_Iggy
04-29-2007, 03:53 PM

Maybe your boy, Culpepper will come up north. Ha. :D

OzSome
04-29-2007, 04:47 PM
Akili Smith was a good QB in college and was a high draft pick in the NFL so it doesn't hurt to try the guy. I am not sure that I would blame Smith's ability for not making the NFL. Cincinnati kind of forced him to be the saviour so early and at the same time, their offensive linemen sucks big time. I think Smith will be a good pick for the Stamps.

Bench Warmer
05-02-2007, 01:12 PM
Calgaryrocks, meet Doug Flutie, Doug, Calgaryrocks.

I think David Archer was also another NFL castoff who had success in the CFL. Other than, there hasn't been too many. Also consider that at least 2 or 3 teams every year grab an NFL castoff QB and add them to their roster only to outright cut them or see them absolutely fizzle in the Cdn game. It would suggest the Cdn game isn't as easy to pick up or talentless as the ignorance of some folks would like the rest of us to believe.

I just don't see Smith making an impact on the Stamps. I don't think he's smart enough or good enough to play in the CFL. Although, if he does show some promise, don't be surprised to see Burris not take it so well. This is the guy who didn't re-sign in Sask because he had to compete with the mighty Nealon Greene for the starter's position. It would be like Kipper not re-signing with the Flames because he'd have to compete with Mclennan for the #1 job.

calgaryrocks
05-03-2007, 09:32 AM
I think David Archer was also another NFL castoff who had success in the CFL. Other than, there hasn't been too many. Also consider that at least 2 or 3 teams every year grab an NFL castoff QB and add them to their roster only to outright cut them or see them absolutely fizzle in the Cdn game. It would suggest the Cdn game isn't as easy to pick up or talentless as the ignorance of some folks would like the rest of us to believe.

I just don't see Smith making an impact on the Stamps. I don't think he's smart enough or good enough to play in the CFL. Although, if he does show some promise, don't be surprised to see Burris not take it so well. This is the guy who didn't re-sign in Sask because he had to compete with the mighty Nealon Greene for the starter's position. It would be like Kipper not re-signing with the Flames because he'd have to compete with Mclennan for the #1 job.
definitly forgot about archer, and yea flutie shouldve come to mind:bag:
. good point though, burris isnt quite all there mentally imo and that may be why he is criticized for his lack of playoff success. ive defended burris for a few years but he makes it harder year by year. should be interesting to see what effect this has on him if smith plays well

JayP
05-03-2007, 10:33 AM

What a horrible comparison. Basically what you're saying is that is Kipper was a UFA this summer and signed elsewhere then the organization would have no problems with going into the season with McLennan as starter. Once Burris left the Riders were perfectly content going into the season with Greene.

If Burris was Saskatchewan's long-term answer and guaranteed starter then why did Shiver's sign Greene for a multi-year deal and was only willing to give Burris a one year deal?

Everything I've heard from unbiased media (and Burris consistently preaches this) on this has basically said that once the actual story is allowed to come out no one will be blaming Hank for leaving.

It's pretty funny that Rider fans actually still care about this and think Burris left because he couldn't handle Greene's competition.

Bench Warmer
05-03-2007, 02:48 PM
What a horrible comparison. Basically what you're saying is that is Kipper was a UFA this summer and signed elsewhere then the organization would have no problems with going into the season with McLennan as starter. Once Burris left the Riders were perfectly content going into the season with Greene.

If Burris was Saskatchewan's long-term answer and guaranteed starter then why did Shiver's sign Greene for a multi-year deal and was only willing to give Burris a one year deal?

Everything I've heard from unbiased media (and Burris consistently preaches this) on this has basically said that once the actual story is allowed to come out no one will be blaming Hank for leaving.

It's pretty funny that Rider fans actually still care about this and think Burris left because he couldn't handle Greene's competition.

You missed my point. The comparison was basically to state that Burris is not the most mentally strong QB out there (and yes, made it known he did not like the competition with Greene). I'm sure I don't need to remind you of his inconsistent play and last two WSF performances.

But to counter-argue, as for the Riders, nobody was content going with Nealon as the starter. Shivers/Barrett were the most content which is baffling to this day. Still, that's why the Riders went out and got Crandell - who, unfortunately, was the best option after Burris went to the Stamps. Shivers/Barrett repeatedly stated the philosophy that you need two capable QBs to be successful in the CFL which is why they signed Greene and then tried to sign Burris. It backfired horribly on them as Burris left but offering Burris the highest contract in Rider history by miles would indicate that nobody in the Rider org was confident Greene could carry the load. But what else could they say when Burris left.

And where did you hear it was a one year deal??? The Riders offered Burris a 3 year deal which would've paid him over $1M over the length of the contract.

And I'd like to hear your unbiased media sources - the Sun, the Herald? I'm not sure Burris will ever tell his story and I wouldn't believe all of it if he did. Just like I don't believe Shivers' side of the story either. Henry speaks to his audience as to what they want to hear and Shivers speaks to what Shivers wants to hear.

Flames in 07
05-03-2007, 06:12 PM
The reason Burris came here was $$$, both on the field and off. He was toured around Calgary when he was a UFA, and was helped to understand the fun offseason jobs he could have here.

BTW, if given the choice, why would anyone live in Regina? Isn't that a reason to go all on your own. And even if you think the city is ok to live in, they have the worst sports fans on the continent. If they aren't leaving turds on your lawn cause of missed field goals they are spewing venom at Burris and Calgary because a UNRESTRICTED free agent decided to take more money.

themedicineman
05-03-2007, 09:35 PM
if i am wrong please tell me, but didn't smith start for the bengals over kitna before palmer got there?

Bench Warmer
05-04-2007, 08:46 AM
The reason Burris came here was $$$, both on the field and off. He was toured around Calgary when he was a UFA, and was helped to understand the fun offseason jobs he could have here.

BTW, if given the choice, why would anyone live in Regina? Isn't that a reason to go all on your own. And even if you think the city is ok to live in, they have the worst sports fans on the continent. If they aren't leaving turds on your lawn cause of missed field goals they are spewing venom at Burris and Calgary because a UNRESTRICTED free agent decided to take more money.

:D :D :D

This will become a pissing match I'm sure and I probably shouldn't even reply but ignorance bugs me. So, to totally de-rail the thread, I like how people bash things they know nothing about. I live in Regina and feel no need to bash other cities. Calgary is an awesome city - I really enjoy my time when I'm there. I've been offered jobs in Calgary but have turned them down which is just a choice I've made. I've got a good job here, I own a 2,300 square foot home (which I paid probably 1/4 of what I'd pay for in Calgary) and I'm a 15 minute drive door to door each to work from my house to my office downtown. It provides me with great work-family-leisure balance which I'm not willing to give up (at this time).

I won't get into an argument about Rider fans. Believe it or not, many folks outside of Calgary think Calgary sports fans are some of the worst.

Clever_Iggy
05-04-2007, 08:58 AM
if i am wrong please tell me, but didn't smith start for the bengals over kitna before palmer got there?

Kitna was brought in after the 2000 season (Smith had 11 starts) and started the 2001 season and Smith was the 3rd QB. Smith only had 1 or 2 starts after that and before he was released in 2003.

It was a rough go for Smith. This article outlines how the Saints offered their entire draft to the Bengals for their 3rd pick so the Saints could get Ricky Williams. Ironically, both players will have stints in the CFL.

http://bengals.enquirer.com/2003/06/02/wwwben1a2.html

Flames in 07
05-04-2007, 06:22 PM
:D :D :D

This will become a pissing match I'm sure and I probably shouldn't even reply but ignorance bugs me. So, to totally de-rail the thread, I like how people bash things they know nothing about. I live in Regina and feel no need to bash other cities. Calgary is an awesome city - I really enjoy my time when I'm there. I've been offered jobs in Calgary but have turned them down which is just a choice I've made. I've got a good job here, I own a 2,300 square foot home (which I paid probably 1/4 of what I'd pay for in Calgary) and I'm a 15 minute drive door to door each to work from my house to my office downtown. It provides me with great work-family-leisure balance which I'm not willing to give up (at this time).

I won't get into an argument about Rider fans. Believe it or not, many folks outside of Calgary think Calgary sports fans are some of the worst.

I've been to Regina alot, to visit family members. But it isn't about what you or I think. Think about 25 year old professional athletes. And especially think of UFA's that have tons of money thrown at them. If you had 100 of these people to sample, both are offered like jobs, to be paid several hundred k for half a year's work you think it would be a even 50/50 split between the two cities? It's nothing against the city itself, it just learning time and time again about how good athlete move away from Regina, not to it.

When the athletes see that kind of venom you aren't exactly creating a very good postcard to prospective future RR's with the pettyness and ignorance about Burris' situation.

As for the fans, I don't know how to grade the population of fans, but if you are an athlete and fans are getting into your life so much that they are leaving stuff on your lawn ... isn't that a little creepy?